Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 PSA: For those scribes who shop online

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dargoth Posted - 22 Jun 2005 : 04:58:45
Public Service Announcement

This is not realms related but as it may effect my fellow scribes hopefully Alaundo will allow it.

As Im sure most of you aware of the Credit card break in, in the US

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15694335-2,00.html

We'll my bank has told me that my CC details where one of those the crooks nicked (having placed orders with Amazon in the last 6 months or so)

So my fellow scribes I suggest you keep your eyes on your CC accounts, and note that its not just US credit card holders that need to be vigilant.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SiriusBlack Posted - 23 Jun 2005 : 20:25:08
quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Because of the 'trouble and irritation' they caused me I negotiated myself a weekend stay at the Embassy Suites Hotel in San Francisco.

Good job.
Fletcher Posted - 23 Jun 2005 : 16:56:12
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
I argued the credit card company into lowering my limit to $1000 to prevent any more real abuses.

That must have been a switch for the credit card company.

"No, I don't want a credit incrase. Decrease it now!"

It was quite entertaining, They thought I was trying to increase it by $1000 and not decrease it to $1000. I ended up having to speak with the shift manager to get my explanation and reasoning across. In the end I argued my way into not only dropping the total amount, but the interest rate as well. Because of the 'trouble and irritation' they caused me I negotiated myself a weekend stay at the Embassy Suites Hotel in San Francisco.
I love credit card companies.
SiriusBlack Posted - 23 Jun 2005 : 02:00:48
quote:
I argued the credit card company into lowering my limit to $1000 to prevent any more real abuses.

That must have been a switch for the credit card company.

"No, I don't want a credit incrase. Decrease it now!"
Fletcher Posted - 22 Jun 2005 : 16:54:54
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

This is not realms related but as it may effect my fellow scribes hopefully Alaundo will allow it.

We'll my bank has told me that my CC details where one of those the crooks nicked (having placed orders with Amazon in the last 6 months or so)

So my fellow scribes I suggest you keep your eyes on your CC accounts, and note that its not just US credit card holders that need to be vigilant.

Thank you Dargoth, I am an inveterate online orderer. And any information that helps me prevent monetary headaches is good.
On that note, after one such bad credit experience(The bugger bought a Celica in Los Angeles and opened up a dozen credit card accounts), I have switched to using a low limit credit card. I argued the credit card company into lowering my limit to $1000 to prevent any more real abuses.
Signing up for a credit watch is also a good idea.
Xysma Posted - 22 Jun 2005 : 16:35:34
quote:

Thanks Dargoth, I'm a big online spender, so I guess I'd better keep my eyes peeled.
The Sage Posted - 22 Jun 2005 : 14:14:45
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

And if anyone wonders in the future why I check my online credit card status usually two times a day, I'll refer them to recent "incidents."
That's always a good technique to practice, and something I firmly believe is worth the effort when handling transactions online.
Dargoth Posted - 22 Jun 2005 : 13:16:11
Fortunately they arent able to do anything with my money even if theyve got the card details

I use a VISA Debit card for all my online transaction which basicly means Ive got to have money in the account the cards attached to. I always leave the acoount cards attached to empty unless Im making a purchase
SiriusBlack Posted - 22 Jun 2005 : 12:37:48
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I appreciate you sharing this news with us Dargoth . It may even be worth making this a 'sticky' for the time being just so other scribes who do shop online take specific note of this scroll.

I'd like to second that request.

quote:

Of those other scribes who do shop online, were any of you affected by this fiendish crime?

So far, not to my knowledge. But, in the past, I've had an experience with credit card fraud. In fact, right before I purchased my home and moved, I had an experience with this type of crime.
SiriusBlack Posted - 22 Jun 2005 : 12:34:51
quote:

Good information to post Dargoth. I'm sorry that your CC details were one of those affected. And if anyone wonders in the future why I check my online credit card status usually two times a day, I'll refer them to recent "incidents."

For those in the United States, be aware that many residents can now request an annual free credit report.
Dargoth Posted - 22 Jun 2005 : 07:38:05
I tell you one thing if Visa and Master Card dont dump those morons at Card Systems then ill be royally PO! There not even suppose have access to your credit card details after the purchase has been approved. Hopefully they have some sort of regulator in the US can give Card Systems a royal kick in the arse!
The Sage Posted - 22 Jun 2005 : 06:11:22
I appreciate you sharing this news with us Dargoth . It may even be worth making this a 'sticky' for the time being just so other scribes who do shop online take specific note of this scroll.

Of those other scribes who do shop online, were any of you affected by this fiendish crime?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000