Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 PSA: For those scribes who shop online
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  04:58:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Public Service Announcement

This is not realms related but as it may effect my fellow scribes hopefully Alaundo will allow it.

As Im sure most of you aware of the Credit card break in, in the US

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15694335-2,00.html

We'll my bank has told me that my CC details where one of those the crooks nicked (having placed orders with Amazon in the last 6 months or so)

So my fellow scribes I suggest you keep your eyes on your CC accounts, and note that its not just US credit card holders that need to be vigilant.

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  06:11:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I appreciate you sharing this news with us Dargoth . It may even be worth making this a 'sticky' for the time being just so other scribes who do shop online take specific note of this scroll.

Of those other scribes who do shop online, were any of you affected by this fiendish crime?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Jun 2005 06:13:00
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  07:38:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tell you one thing if Visa and Master Card dont dump those morons at Card Systems then ill be royally PO! There not even suppose have access to your credit card details after the purchase has been approved. Hopefully they have some sort of regulator in the US can give Card Systems a royal kick in the arse!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  12:34:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
We'll my bank has told me that my CC details where one of those the crooks nicked (having placed orders with Amazon in the last 6 months or so)

So my fellow scribes I suggest you keep your eyes on your CC accounts, and note that its not just US credit card holders that need to be vigilant.

Good information to post Dargoth. I'm sorry that your CC details were one of those affected. And if anyone wonders in the future why I check my online credit card status usually two times a day, I'll refer them to recent "incidents."

For those in the United States, be aware that many residents can now request an annual free credit report.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  12:37:48  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I appreciate you sharing this news with us Dargoth . It may even be worth making this a 'sticky' for the time being just so other scribes who do shop online take specific note of this scroll.

I'd like to second that request.

quote:

Of those other scribes who do shop online, were any of you affected by this fiendish crime?

So far, not to my knowledge. But, in the past, I've had an experience with credit card fraud. In fact, right before I purchased my home and moved, I had an experience with this type of crime.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  13:16:11  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fortunately they arent able to do anything with my money even if theyve got the card details

I use a VISA Debit card for all my online transaction which basicly means Ive got to have money in the account the cards attached to. I always leave the acoount cards attached to empty unless Im making a purchase

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  14:14:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

And if anyone wonders in the future why I check my online credit card status usually two times a day, I'll refer them to recent "incidents."
That's always a good technique to practice, and something I firmly believe is worth the effort when handling transactions online.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  16:35:34  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is not realms related but as it may effect my fellow scribes hopefully Alaundo will allow it.

Thanks Dargoth, I'm a big online spender, so I guess I'd better keep my eyes peeled.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  16:54:54  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you Dargoth, I am an inveterate online orderer. And any information that helps me prevent monetary headaches is good.
On that note, after one such bad credit experience(The bugger bought a Celica in Los Angeles and opened up a dozen credit card accounts), I have switched to using a low limit credit card. I argued the credit card company into lowering my limit to $1000 to prevent any more real abuses.
Signing up for a credit watch is also a good idea.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  02:00:48  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
I argued the credit card company into lowering my limit to $1000 to prevent any more real abuses.

That must have been a switch for the credit card company.

"No, I don't want a credit incrase. Decrease it now!"
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  16:56:12  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
I argued the credit card company into lowering my limit to $1000 to prevent any more real abuses.

That must have been a switch for the credit card company.

"No, I don't want a credit incrase. Decrease it now!"

It was quite entertaining, They thought I was trying to increase it by $1000 and not decrease it to $1000. I ended up having to speak with the shift manager to get my explanation and reasoning across. In the end I argued my way into not only dropping the total amount, but the interest rate as well. Because of the 'trouble and irritation' they caused me I negotiated myself a weekend stay at the Embassy Suites Hotel in San Francisco.
I love credit card companies.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  20:25:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Because of the 'trouble and irritation' they caused me I negotiated myself a weekend stay at the Embassy Suites Hotel in San Francisco.

Good job.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000