Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Karse is Sammaster?!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
silvermage Posted - 16 Jun 2005 : 01:06:19
Hello, here is something i had been thinking about. I have read about the Netheril Trilogy and read up on Karse. Karse has delusions about becoming a god and avenging and saving the Netheril Empire. Yet, Sammaster also appear to have dreams of becoming a consort to Mystra and he should be a god than being a mere Chosen, also both Karse and Sammaster were prodigies in the arcane knowledge. Sometimes, I wonder if Sammaster is Karse incarnate?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dennis Posted - 11 May 2010 : 15:06:11
Sage:

We have the same idea about the flashback.... And maybe the conflict will be Zhents' revenge and the Shadovar's determination to annihilate them ALL once and for all. The apt title will be "The Revenge of the Undying Cockroach". =)
The Sage Posted - 11 May 2010 : 07:11:15
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Sage,

Do you have any idea why WotC never published a novel about this Shadovar-killing-the-Zhents act? It would have been good for sales, considering there are a lot of Manshoon and Shadovar fans.

I suspect this might be due to the fact that Wizards are primarily focused on publishing fiction for the post 1479 DR period.

Though, given the prevalence of the Shadovar in the current fiction, I'd also expect this little bit of history might be dealt with eventually. Perhaps as a flashback scene in a future novel about either the Shadovar or Zhentarim?
Dennis Posted - 11 May 2010 : 05:17:01
Sage,

Do you have any idea why WotC never published a novel about this Shadovar-killing-the-Zhents act? It would have been good for sales, considering there are a lot of Manshoon and Shadovar fans.
The Sage Posted - 11 May 2010 : 05:09:25
Well, what was Manshoon, is pleased.
Brimstone Posted - 11 May 2010 : 04:34:50
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

If insanity indicated a familiar relation, half the wizards in Faerun must be inbred loons!

And all the ones in the Zhentarim, certainly.

Almost all of them were killed by the Shadovar, so it hardly matters...=)

There's enough of them left for them to still be considered a threat in the 4e FRCG, so...

That was just a culling of the weak in the Brotherhood...

The Shades performed there job admirably.

Manshoon is very pleased.
Dennis Posted - 11 May 2010 : 03:18:12
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

quote:

If insanity indicated a familiar relation, half the wizards in Faerun must be inbred loons!

There's enough of them left for them to still be considered a threat in the 4e FRCG, so...

Ooh, and I assume the cockroach is one of them?
The Sage Posted - 11 May 2010 : 01:06:50
quote:

quote:

quote:

Dennis Posted - 10 May 2010 : 20:47:14
quote:

quote:

Sandro Posted - 10 May 2010 : 09:05:07
quote:

Dennis Posted - 10 May 2010 : 00:29:15
Not only the wizards, but half of Faerun's population perhaps...
BlackAce Posted - 09 May 2010 : 22:06:21
Dennis Posted - 09 May 2010 : 16:56:42
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by StromLancer

Who knows Sammaster is of the same ancestry line as Karse? If so, that may explain Sammaster mad actions.

Insanity isn't a good reason to assume relation...

I think that people are being too eager to find a connection where no evidence of a connection exists.

Any evidence of a connection has wisely been denied public knowledge...not saying insanity means relation but perhaps there is insanity due to the relation

The very notion of the subject of this post is odd! I mean, insanity (if that's what you call it) is hardly a basis for comparison. Szass Tam wants to be a god too. But like Sammaster, I do not think he is Karsus's reincarnated form. For one, both liches are too "composed" and in control compared to the erratic Karsus...And most importantly, Karsus is far more powerful than the two of them combined.
Alisttair Posted - 03 May 2010 : 13:30:45
quote:

quote:

Who knows Sammaster is of the same ancestry line as Karse? If so, that may explain Sammaster mad actions.

I think that people are being too eager to find a connection where no evidence of a connection exists.

Any evidence of a connection has wisely been denied public knowledge...not saying insanity means relation but perhaps there is insanity due to the relation
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Jul 2005 : 02:37:00
quote:

Shadovar Posted - 04 Jul 2005 : 02:36:10
quote:

Hmm....that may explain Sammaster madness, still I wonder how many more mages are of Karse bloodline and as crazy as him.
StromLancer Posted - 04 Jul 2005 : 02:30:25
Shadovar Posted - 22 Jun 2005 : 11:37:12
Wait a minute, I think Karse had not really entered the Realms of the Dead. Perhaps he might be incarnated into a stone or something like that in the High Forest near Wulgreth's lair.
Sandhrune Posted - 22 Jun 2005 : 06:47:53
good point. UTTER ANNIHILATION!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Jun 2005 : 05:42:41
quote:
Originally posted by Sandhrune

Karse would have been punished as one of the faithless by Jergal. I don't see him ever coming back any way, any how.

Ah, but did Karse's soul actually make it to the Fugue Plane?
Sandhrune Posted - 22 Jun 2005 : 03:26:54
Karse would have been punished as one of the faithless by Jergal. I don't see him ever coming back any way, any how.
Shadovar Posted - 21 Jun 2005 : 08:05:26
quote:
Originally posted by silvermage

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Somehow picturing Karse reincarnated as a squirel amuses me . . .

I think Karse reincarnated as a monkey would be a more amusing idea, afterall in the Netheril Trilogy, he seemed to be like a untamed monkey to me.
Anyway, thanks to all who had replied to this topic.

Karse as a monkey? Ha, I certainly can't imagine a Karse in monkey form casting spells and writing books, sure to cast the wrong spells. Nice jest, silvermage!
silvermage Posted - 21 Jun 2005 : 08:02:03
quote:

I think Karse reincarnated as a monkey would be a more amusing idea, afterall in the Netheril Trilogy, he seemed to be like a untamed monkey to me.
Anyway, thanks to all who had replied to this topic.
Kajehase Posted - 21 Jun 2005 : 05:58:00
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

Not as much as it'd amuse Mystryl I bet.

I dunno... I'd imagine its hard to be amused by something when you're dead.

Unless you're a pictsie
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Jun 2005 : 17:15:11
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

I dunno... I'd imagine its hard to be amused by something when you're dead.
Kajehase Posted - 20 Jun 2005 : 12:36:07
quote:

Shadovar Posted - 20 Jun 2005 : 07:49:03
Well, Karse reincarnation would be best handled by the Lord of The Dead, Kelemvor or Cyric, who knows the Lord of the Dead might want Karse to be his champion or as some sort of tool to further the cause of the Lord of The Dead.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 19 Jun 2005 : 21:00:03
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 19 Jun 2005 : 19:52:47
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
That's why it's the "Forgotten Realms" -- hundreds and thousands of years of kingdoms that have fallen precisely because of such madness.
Is this at all official? As far as I know, 'Forgotten Realms' isn't a term used in the Realms, but what we call the Realms because the world-links have declined.

My Lady THO is quite correct -- natives don't call it the "Forgotten Realms," but you find frequent reference to the "Realms," which is as common (it seems to me) as "Faerun," if not more. The reason WE call it the Realms (again, according to my opinion) is that the Faerun we know and love is built, literally, on the burial ground of so many forgotten kingdoms. I didn't mean to imply that natives called it FR.

Also, if I implied that all the lost empires and realms fell because of madness, it was unintentional. Some did, some didn't -- just like in the real world. 'Course, the policies that led to the fall of each realm could (and have) been interpreted as madness, so.........

Anyway.

Cheers
Kaladorm Posted - 19 Jun 2005 : 13:46:18
Reincarnations are a bad idea, in terms of the druid spell reincarnate just look at the odds!
How embarrasing would it be for Karse to be reincarnated only to find that Beshaba was more on his side than Tymora, and he gets reincarnated as a squirrel. Hardly godhood is it?
Neo2151 Posted - 18 Jun 2005 : 08:09:04
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Correct, Faraer. Folk in the Realms speak of "the Realms" but never of "the Forgotten Realms," which is indeed our real-world term. Confirmed by Ed, who's frantically writing some VERY major Realmslore at the moment, for official WotC publication sometime in the future (NDA, so no one ask, please).
love,
THO

Unless, of course for some strange and alien reason, you listen to Douglas Niles over Ed Greenwood. Doug specifically said that the peoples of Faerun called it "The Forgotten Realms" (said in Iron Helm, first of the Maztica trilogy.) Normally I'd not post this but (in the spirit of being annoying ) Niles is a very heavily credited author when it comes to FR, though why, I couldn't tell you. His stories were good and all, but he seemed to be a lil lacking on the realmslore.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000