Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lord Ao's Followers?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Cardinal Posted - 16 May 2004 : 09:58:05
Ok, we have a question. Say a person is dedicated to Lord Ao. And suddenly... they die (eaten my trolls, struck by lightening, heart attack, forgets to eat, etc.) What would happen to the soul of that person once they reached the fugue plane? Would they be taken by AO? Remain there for eternity? Forced to be judged by Kelemvor? Any ideas?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SirUrza Posted - 28 May 2005 : 13:40:44
I could be mistaken, but considering Elminster seemed to be surprised the was a superior god (atleast that's how I remember it in Shadows of the Avatar.. I think that's the book Elminster met him) I seriously doubt there are that many follows of Ao.

khorne Posted - 27 May 2005 : 17:59:11
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

work).

And then there's my personal idea - all the demi-human races are just that, part of the human species, but different races than the standard humans of earth (and even the standard Torilian humans may be a slightly different race than the Homo Sapiens Sapiens of Earth).

The eldreth veluuthra have marked you now.....
Kajehase Posted - 27 May 2005 : 15:57:45
A bit off topic that question, but my guess would be that the term isn't used much in the realms, at least not where any of the demi-humans can hear it.

As for the actual why - it's a neat word for describing all the standard races that's not monstrous, and the reason it's demihuman and not demielven or demidwarven would be that the designers are human, not elven or dwarven. (And a demi-halfling... Just don't work).

And then there's my personal idea - all the demi-human races are just that, part of the human species, but different races than the standard humans of earth (and even the standard Torilian humans may be a slightly different race than the Homo Sapiens Sapiens of Earth).
khorne Posted - 27 May 2005 : 06:52:42
Why is it demihuman? They can`t use that expression in the realms. If a dwarf heard himself referred to as a demihuman he would go berserk.......
Kajehase Posted - 26 May 2005 : 22:16:10
Um... yes and no. The cult-members were copies made by the Deepspawn under Zazesspur of the sons of daughters of influential Zazesspurans once those persons had been lured to the Deepspawns lair by the leaders of the cult.

Any human (or demi-human I guess) members of the cult that weren't in a leading position, though, probably did think they were just worshiping AO.
khorne Posted - 26 May 2005 : 20:36:07
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Yup, 'twas War in Tethyr I spoke of. Much like khorne did in the post above mine, which is why I didn't consider it necessary to name it.

They weren`t really Ao-worshippers. They worshipped cyric.
Kajehase Posted - 26 May 2005 : 18:01:49
Yup, 'twas War in Tethyr I spoke of. Much like khorne did in the post above mine, which is why I didn't consider it necessary to name it.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 May 2005 : 17:34:07
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Greetings to all, as I promised I will dig up the information. Well, here it is, I think this is quite short, but should be generally sufficient to say something about the cult.

quote:
Starting in Waterdeep at the close of the Time of Troubles, a new
cult arose, devoted to the overgodly force called Ao. The overgod
appeared at the peak of Waterdeep mountain at the end of the Time of
Troubles, at which point he claimed to be the creator of the gods
(though not of the Realms themselves). He confirmed the godly power
held by Midnight/Mystra and invested the former power and
responsibilities of the Three Dead Gods into Cyric. Then he removed the
barrier preventing the deities from returning to the Outer Planes,
charging these gods to be more responsive to their worshipers and tying
their power more closely with that of their living followers.
The cult of Ao receives no spells or special powers, and so cannot
be considered a true faith in a land where the gods prove their good
intentions by delivering on their promises. It does attract a broad
spectrum of followers, including mages, rogues, and fighters, including
a number of former cavaliers. The primary alignment of these followers
is neutral, but all alignments may join.
The ceremonial garb of the ministers (not necessarily priests) of Ao
is black trousers and shirt with a long, flowing robe of black dotted
with either white spots or jeweled spangles.
In Waterdeep, the group currently meets at the western end of the
Market, which was destroyed in the final days of the Godswar. They are
currently acquiring the surrounding property with the intention of
raising a temple to Ao on that spot.
The cult has spread beyond Waterdeep into many other civilized areas
of the North. The cult may be little more than a passing fashion, a
reassurance of the powers of the gods in the face of the Time of
Troubles, or may represent a new form of worship. None of the
established faiths have spoken out publicly against or acted against
the cult, possibly because they do not fear it, or possibly because
they fear it a great deal.

Anyway, Kajehase, I would like to ask a question, you mentioned:
quote:
"The villain of the book, however, was following the orders of a deepspawn and leading a cult of AO-followers. He did not gain any spells from AO though."

Can I ask what is the title of the book you mentioned?

War in Tethyr. It was one of the Nobles books.

Faiths & Avatars mentions the dying out of the Ao cults, and the fact that he's taken steps to destroy knowledge of his existence in the Realms.
Shadovar Posted - 26 May 2005 : 12:41:25
Greetings to all, as I promised I will dig up the information. Well, here it is, I think this is quite short, but should be generally sufficient to say something about the cult.

quote:
Starting in Waterdeep at the close of the Time of Troubles, a new
cult arose, devoted to the overgodly force called Ao. The overgod
appeared at the peak of Waterdeep mountain at the end of the Time of
Troubles, at which point he claimed to be the creator of the gods
(though not of the Realms themselves). He confirmed the godly power
held by Midnight/Mystra and invested the former power and
responsibilities of the Three Dead Gods into Cyric. Then he removed the
barrier preventing the deities from returning to the Outer Planes,
charging these gods to be more responsive to their worshipers and tying
their power more closely with that of their living followers.
The cult of Ao receives no spells or special powers, and so cannot
be considered a true faith in a land where the gods prove their good
intentions by delivering on their promises. It does attract a broad
spectrum of followers, including mages, rogues, and fighters, including
a number of former cavaliers. The primary alignment of these followers
is neutral, but all alignments may join.
The ceremonial garb of the ministers (not necessarily priests) of Ao
is black trousers and shirt with a long, flowing robe of black dotted
with either white spots or jeweled spangles.
In Waterdeep, the group currently meets at the western end of the
Market, which was destroyed in the final days of the Godswar. They are
currently acquiring the surrounding property with the intention of
raising a temple to Ao on that spot.
The cult has spread beyond Waterdeep into many other civilized areas
of the North. The cult may be little more than a passing fashion, a
reassurance of the powers of the gods in the face of the Time of
Troubles, or may represent a new form of worship. None of the
established faiths have spoken out publicly against or acted against
the cult, possibly because they do not fear it, or possibly because
they fear it a great deal.

Anyway, Kajehase, I would like to ask a question, you mentioned:
quote:
"The villain of the book, however, was following the orders of a deepspawn and leading a cult of AO-followers. He did not gain any spells from AO though."

Can I ask what is the title of the book you mentioned?
Kajehase Posted - 26 May 2005 : 12:14:11
The villain of the book, however, was following the orders of a deepspawn and leading a cult of AO-followers. He did not gain any spells from AO though.
khorne Posted - 26 May 2005 : 09:56:02
quote:
Originally posted by MuadDib

I think, and I'm speaking under huge correction here since I'm sort of out of place amongst the sages, but to say that Ao doesn't - or rather - didn't care about mortals isn't strictly accurate. I seem to remember that in one of the noble's series, possibly King's Pinch or something like that, there is an Orcish Paladin (strange enough on its own) who gets killed and because he is devoted to Ao, is resurrected by the OverGod directly. If I recall the text correctly, this was the first and last time he interfered directly, but is still maybe relevant to the discussion

I think it was war in tethyr, and it was an orog paladin of TORM, not Ao. And he didn`t get ressurected, he ressurected another.
MuadDib Posted - 26 May 2005 : 09:26:58
I think, and I'm speaking under huge correction here since I'm sort of out of place amongst the sages, but to say that Ao doesn't - or rather - didn't care about mortals isn't strictly accurate. I seem to remember that in one of the noble's series, possibly King's Pinch or something like that, there is an Orcish Paladin (strange enough on its own) who gets killed and because he is devoted to Ao, is resurrected by the OverGod directly. If I recall the text correctly, this was the first and last time he interfered directly, but is still maybe relevant to the discussion

The Sage Posted - 26 May 2005 : 02:44:29
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius Andrass

I've got a question, Ao is some kind of God. Doesn't a god power depends on the followers? O cause his "Overgoodness" he doesn't need worshippers? Or it's cause he was the one that "edicted" this rule?

Ao doesn't need worshippers, because he's a special case. Either being an Overgod exempts someone from this rule, or he simply decided to set up the worship system the way it is now.

His Overgod status likely exempts him from the rule as well. Perhaps the fact that Ao gains his great power from another source entirely, suggests that he does not require access to worshippers for divine power.

Interestingly, as an aside to this, would you actually consider Ao's power to be "divine", at least in the traditional sense? I believe it is actually something more than that. Perhaps s type of power that only creator/overgod types can access... something that resides in the background or fabric of the multiverse itself -- "creation energy" left behind from the origins of all reality.
jebeddo Posted - 25 May 2005 : 18:44:51
quote:

quote:

I've got a question, Ao is some kind of God. Doesn't a god power depends on the followers? O cause his "Overgoodness" he doesn't need worshippers? Or it's cause he was the one that "edicted" this rule?

Ao doesn't need worshippers, because he's a special case. Either being an Overgod exempts someone from this rule, or he simply decided to set up the worship system the way it is now.

Correct. At the end of the book Waterdeep in the avatar series, Ao decreed that the powers of gods must be dependant on their worshipers. Since it was a system established by himself, Ao would naturally make himself exempt from this rule.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 May 2005 : 17:04:54
quote:

Thelonius Posted - 25 May 2005 : 14:30:06
Piergeiron Posted - 25 May 2005 : 08:25:06
I'm curious about the Cult as well and want to give them a little cameo in my campaign.
The Sage Posted - 25 May 2005 : 02:16:16
quote:

If the cult still exists, it's likely dwindled down to just a handful of members.
I wonder whether they'll receive a mention in the new City of Splendors tome?
Jindael Posted - 24 May 2005 : 19:44:33
more writings of him, no one has any memory of him, etc. For all intents and purposes, he does not exist to the mortals of Faerun.

In my little house rules pamphlet that I hand to new players and at the start of a new game, I mention the no AO rule. In my FR game, I’ve already pushed ahead the “AO is forgotten” thing. There are no
Kuje Posted - 24 May 2005 : 18:14:24
quote:

As I recall, the lack of clerical support has left the cult members turning to other deities. Also, if I remember correctly, Ao has caused his name to start disappearing from all writings in the Realms -- he doesn't want mortals to know about him.

If the cult still exists, it's likely dwindled down to just a handful of members.

The Lords also bought the building the cult was using and turned it into civic hall. :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 May 2005 : 17:35:14
As I recall, the lack of clerical support has left the cult members turning to other deities. Also, if I remember correctly, Ao has caused his name to start disappearing from all writings in the Realms -- he doesn't want mortals to know about him.

Adarin Posted - 24 May 2005 : 14:20:19
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

The Cult of Ao is detailed in the 2e City of Splendors boxed set.

Perhaps would you not mind sharing a bit more about this mysterious cult?
The Sage Posted - 24 May 2005 : 13:48:07
The Cult of Ao is detailed in the 2e City of Splendors boxed set.
Shadovar Posted - 24 May 2005 : 13:29:09
Yes, Krase right. There is indeed a real Cult of Ao in Waterdeep. But there is a webpage on the Cult of Ao but somehow that webpage is experiencing technical difficulties, I will post more information on the cult once the webpage is restored to full function.
Krase Posted - 24 May 2005 : 13:10:10
According to some sources, there is indeed a Cult of Ao operating in waterdeep.
DDH_101 Posted - 17 May 2004 : 04:01:11
Rupert is right. I remember reading about how spells were casted that made sages and bards to forget about Ao over a period of time...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 May 2004 : 02:36:40
I believe that F&A mentions that all written records of Ao are being erased from the Realms. It seems Ao specifically wants all the mortals to forget about him.
Reefy Posted - 17 May 2004 : 00:31:41
I wasn't aware of Ao having large numbers of followers. I think there was a cult in Waterdeep shortly after the Time of Troubles but due to not getting any response I think they just 'died out' and switched to worshipping someone else. Also, as someone (Sarta, I think) mentioned in the other thread, I don't think many mortals are aware of Ao's existence.
Bookwyrm Posted - 16 May 2004 : 14:15:04
I'd actually say it's more like calling up the Secretary General. After all, the president of a country is supposed to be concerned with the people as well. The UN is involved in international matters, and rescue operations on national scales (say, the recent disasters in Iran). Just as the UN is supposed to manage the countries (not that it does much of that, since it's made of the countries and doesn't have much oomph behind it, if I may get technical ), Ao is only concerned with the deities. And even then the deities are supposed to work things out themselves.

So I'd say that since Ao doesn't want them, any followers would be considered faithless. That's in the idea of faith as a synonym for religion, though -- the followers have faith in Ao in the true sense. It's just they would be considered to be without a deity. They wouldn't be considered Faithless, or agnostic in our term. After all, if they stayed true to Ao despite his silence, then their faith is pretty strong. So I'd think they'd just get stuck with wandering around the Fugue. Perhaps trying to convert the other souls waiting for pickup.

"Have you accepted Ao as your personal overgod . . . ?"
Chyron Posted - 16 May 2004 : 13:59:30
I think the followers of AO are really missing the boat. The appearance of them in Shadows of Undrentide was very tongue n’ cheek, but I take it that there are serious cells of followers. None of my players have ever wanted to venerate AO so I have never really had the issue come up, but I have to agree with Bookwrym and feel that veneration of him is akin to not having a deity at all.

The deities are in place for a reason and for mortals to curry favor from AO is sort of like trying to call the president when your house has been robbed. The deities are there to handle the “small” mortal stuff and AO is there to handle the deities. Frankly I am surprised that he keeps getting such focus since the Time of Troubles has for several years now. I hope the writers are not planning to give him more exposure in the coming years (the first true cleric of AO, the first true paladin of AO, etc )…..

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000