Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GenCon Indy 2005

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SiriusBlack Posted - 26 Apr 2005 : 14:54:00
I don't see a thread listed for this year's GenCon Indy 2005. Thus, I wanted to create this one to pass along this news. From Elaine Cunningham's blog comes the following news:

quote:

Tuesday, April 26, 2005
GenCon Indy
I've been planning to attend the con in Indiannapolis again this summer, but I'm going to have to take a pass this year.

In years past, Wizards of the Coast began making convention plans in February. April is almost over, and I was beginning to hear discomfiting things in the silence. After a couple of phone calls, I learned that plans have been turned over to a new department entitled "organized play," which may indeed be playful but has yet to organize.

Lezlie Samuels, the person who handled promotions and publicity, quit shortly before the con last summer. With her departure, arrangements changed. The same thing occurred this year, and as a result, I can't justify the travel expense.

I'm disappointed, of course, but it is what it is.

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sholnfete Posted - 28 Apr 2005 : 02:55:41
I plan on attending with some friends this year, as I have done for the past to years. It's easier for us though because we live in Indy so . Were gonna dress up this year and it's gonna rock, I don't think that they would mind meeting up with some people from Candlekeep especially if we get to hang out with authors .
The Sage Posted - 27 Apr 2005 : 05:49:53
Oh!... That's right. What was I thinking...

Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Apr 2005 : 05:18:57
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

That does seem like an illogical move, in terms of promotion for the novel, made by WotC. There doesn't even appear to be an apparent reason for it, or at least, none that we've seen or heard about so far.

Wait -- you're saying that WotC did something illogical and without explanation?!? No way! They'd never do that!
The Sage Posted - 27 Apr 2005 : 03:23:18
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

It's disappointing that EC obviously wanted to go to GEN-CON but no-one bothered to get in touch with her from WotC to organise it. Especially considering her upcoming novel collaboration with Ed - an opportunity missed to drum up some interest methinks.

-- George Krashos

That does seem like an illogical move, in terms of promotion for the novel, made by WotC. There doesn't even appear to be an apparent reason for it, or at least, none that we've seen or heard about so far.
Garen Thal Posted - 27 Apr 2005 : 02:47:24
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Hmm. I was giving serious thought to attending this year, but I wouldn't want to spend that much money on something that was put together at the last minute.
To be fair, it's WotC's Organized Play department that dropped the ball on EC's attendance, not GenCon. GenCon is most decidely not a "last minute" affair; the company is entirely separate from WotC and spends all its time and resources planning the various GenCon fairs.
SiriusBlack Posted - 27 Apr 2005 : 02:38:19
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Hmm. I was giving serious thought to attending this year,

Some loved ones and I were considering attendance this year. Alas, those plans fell through for a variety of reasons. I'm quite glad now we aren't going. One of the main draws for all of us was the anticipation that Elaine would be in attendance in support of the Waterdeep novel.

As for the lack of organization, I love the way Mrs. Cunningham put it

quote:

I learned that plans have been turned over to a new department entitled "organized play," which may indeed be playful but has yet to organize.

Melfius Posted - 27 Apr 2005 : 02:23:55
Hmm. I was giving serious thought to attending this year, but I wouldn't want to spend that much money on something that was put together at the last minute.
George Krashos Posted - 27 Apr 2005 : 01:07:25
It's disappointing that EC obviously wanted to go to GEN-CON but no-one bothered to get in touch with her from WotC to organise it. Especially considering her upcoming novel collaboration with Ed - an opportunity missed to drum up some interest methinks.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000