Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GenCon Indy 2005
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  14:54:00  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I don't see a thread listed for this year's GenCon Indy 2005. Thus, I wanted to create this one to pass along this news. From Elaine Cunningham's blog comes the following news:

quote:

Tuesday, April 26, 2005
GenCon Indy
I've been planning to attend the con in Indiannapolis again this summer, but I'm going to have to take a pass this year.

In years past, Wizards of the Coast began making convention plans in February. April is almost over, and I was beginning to hear discomfiting things in the silence. After a couple of phone calls, I learned that plans have been turned over to a new department entitled "organized play," which may indeed be playful but has yet to organize.

Lezlie Samuels, the person who handled promotions and publicity, quit shortly before the con last summer. With her departure, arrangements changed. The same thing occurred this year, and as a result, I can't justify the travel expense.

I'm disappointed, of course, but it is what it is.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  01:07:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's disappointing that EC obviously wanted to go to GEN-CON but no-one bothered to get in touch with her from WotC to organise it. Especially considering her upcoming novel collaboration with Ed - an opportunity missed to drum up some interest methinks.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  02:23:55  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. I was giving serious thought to attending this year, but I wouldn't want to spend that much money on something that was put together at the last minute.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  02:38:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Hmm. I was giving serious thought to attending this year,

Some loved ones and I were considering attendance this year. Alas, those plans fell through for a variety of reasons. I'm quite glad now we aren't going. One of the main draws for all of us was the anticipation that Elaine would be in attendance in support of the Waterdeep novel.

As for the lack of organization, I love the way Mrs. Cunningham put it

quote:

I learned that plans have been turned over to a new department entitled "organized play," which may indeed be playful but has yet to organize.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  02:47:24  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Hmm. I was giving serious thought to attending this year, but I wouldn't want to spend that much money on something that was put together at the last minute.
To be fair, it's WotC's Organized Play department that dropped the ball on EC's attendance, not GenCon. GenCon is most decidely not a "last minute" affair; the company is entirely separate from WotC and spends all its time and resources planning the various GenCon fairs.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  03:23:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

It's disappointing that EC obviously wanted to go to GEN-CON but no-one bothered to get in touch with her from WotC to organise it. Especially considering her upcoming novel collaboration with Ed - an opportunity missed to drum up some interest methinks.

-- George Krashos

That does seem like an illogical move, in terms of promotion for the novel, made by WotC. There doesn't even appear to be an apparent reason for it, or at least, none that we've seen or heard about so far.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  05:18:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

That does seem like an illogical move, in terms of promotion for the novel, made by WotC. There doesn't even appear to be an apparent reason for it, or at least, none that we've seen or heard about so far.

Wait -- you're saying that WotC did something illogical and without explanation?!? No way! They'd never do that!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  05:49:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh!... That's right. What was I thinking...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sholnfete
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  02:55:41  Show Profile  Visit Sholnfete's Homepage Send Sholnfete a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I plan on attending with some friends this year, as I have done for the past to years. It's easier for us though because we live in Indy so . Were gonna dress up this year and it's gonna rock, I don't think that they would mind meeting up with some people from Candlekeep especially if we get to hang out with authors .

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us from every corner.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000