Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What have you imported into the Realms?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Apr 2005 : 21:35:11
In order to dodge Big Al's staff, I decided to take a discussion to a new thread...

The Realms has, over the years, had a lot of stuff imported into it. Some is from Ed's own stuff, like the many various portals to elsewhere. Some has been added by other authors or bolted on as additions to the Realms...

Due to both the nature of the old planar cosmology and spelljamming, a lot of stuff from other worlds has wound up in the Realms, either long-term or short term.

As I recall, Ed's "Wizards Three" articles mentioned Elminster and Mordenkainen visiting each others' homeworlds (I don't recall if either visited Krynn, or if Dalamar visited Oerth or Toril). All three, plus the Simbul, Laeral, and Qilué have visited Earth, and Elminster in particular has been known to import Earth goods into the Realms (particularly German beer, as I recall).

Khelben Arunsun the Younger, born in Waterdeep, is now on Oerth, as I recall.

Spelljamming elves have visited the Realms. They're mentioned in the Evermeet novel, and in the Sea of Fallen Stars, an elven ship has grown into an undersea "forest". I also recall from somewhere that there's a green dragon lairing in an old spelljammer.

In Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck, we have a spelljammer that lands in the Realms. A giff crewman is killed there, and we later find out that one of the characters from those novels is a native of Krynn. Also, at the end of Tymora's Luck, we have a kender visiting the Realms. The Spelljammer comic had people from other worlds briefly visiting the Realms, as did the Cloakmaster Cycle of novels from the Spelljammer line.

From other, non-D20 gameworlds, we have at least one visitor: There's a Newhon ghoul mentioned in Code of the Harpers.

Some of my own ideas have involved bringing a single dragonspawn from Krynn to the Realms, and having a Space Marine (from Warhammer 40k) who winds up in the Realms. I've also pondered how to convert a World of Darkness Ananasi (werespider) into a Realms NPC...

Did I miss any?

Anyway, I'm just wondering what else people have brought to the Realms, both from WotC worlds and from non-WotC worlds.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 10 Apr 2012 : 03:21:28
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I've also got a gnomish homeland with geography similar to Lantan and the Moonshaes. The gnomes are more Krynnish, though....
I used the events of Into the Void as a basis for bringing another type of tinker gnome [specifically, those of the Krynnish variety] into my Realms.

I don't think it was ever clearly defined what happened to the remaining Krynnish tinker gnomes that were part of the "Probe's" crew. Some died, but a few may have been unaccounted for. So on that possibility [that at least some were left in Rauthaven], I established that the few remaining tinker gnomes discovered a lost shrine to Gond somewhere in the city. The gnomes later learned that the shrine was once part of a much larger temple dedicated to a Nimbral-derivative Wonderbringer interpretation based on the gnomish concept of Gond as Nebelun, which allowed them to shift their faith to a more multiversal conception of a "god of invention."
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 10 Apr 2012 : 01:21:32
I have imported only three of my PC's into the Realms, mostly here and on eilistraee.com, but I have EXPORTED quite a bit of Realmsish stuff into my HB campaigns! Starting with a version of the Crown Wars and Descent, the Sundering, and introducing Lythari into my HB world. I've also got a gnomish homeland with geography similar to Lantan and the Moonshaes. The gnomes are more Krynnish, though....

Dalor Darden Posted - 09 Apr 2012 : 21:41:15
If you have no use for the Gulthmere Forest, the Five Shires fits there very nicely.

The Black Eagle Baron becomes Westgate.

With a little tweaking, Sembia becomes Darokin (though not connected), Pirates are easily done then (with some pirates even putting to port in the Five Shires).

The Shires back history of Imperial Province becomes one where Chondathan colonists were at play.

Occupation by Orcs is simply explained by the nearby mountains...

In my variation, Westgate has been paying tribute for years to Cormyr to avoid being taken by Sembia or the Five Shires.

Just turn the Five Shires upside down.
Markustay Posted - 09 Apr 2012 : 17:58:59
I give up.

Going from PS to PAINT is like going from a nuclear missile to a slingshot. Anyhow, using older maps (the best I could find was the excellent Faerun one came with the Ruins of Zhentil Keep), it looks like the coast of the five shires would be a decent fit for the Chionthar.

So, yeah - losing a chunk of the Goblin Marches and the entirety of Skull Gorge wasn't the best way to go - good call. We even have a canonical name for it, if we wanted - didn't some halfling try to build a kingdom somewhere around there at the outset of 3e?
Jorkens Posted - 09 Apr 2012 : 17:41:48
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm in the middle of brainstorming this as we speak - The Five Shires are precisely 210 across, but I can't get a very accurate scale for the Sunset Vale since I have only PDFs now, and the Volo's Guides use the 1" = 30 miles thing; useless in a pdf, and I no longer have my cross-edition corrected/adjusted maps (and the scale and layout change dramatically between editions).

I can't seem to find nearly as many copies of Brian/Shley's Cormyr map on the net as I used to - I think they got someone ganking them now. I managed to locate a high-res one Mr.Shley himself posted, so I'm tinkering with it now.

EDIT: I can't believe there has never been an official, complete, detailed map of that region!!! It seems who ever laid-out the maps for that Volo's Guide (Sword Coast) forgot quite a few maps - there is absolutely no view of Scornubel!

Not a city-map - I am looking for a small, detailed over-land map of the vicinity. This region was also pretty badly twisted-up by the 3rd edition changes, which makes using the undetailed world-maps near-useless. Even the Fonstad map has almost no detail beyond the major settlements (which world maps also show).

Plus I had at least 5 (canon) locales never shown on any map. {sigh} Bugger - I hate when I start obsessing over something.

Now you see why I just put it there with not that much thought? The area is pretty blank in the TSR era. And I like that
Markustay Posted - 09 Apr 2012 : 16:51:37
I'm in the middle of brainstorming this as we speak - The Five Shires are precisely 210 miles across, but I can't get a very accurate scale for the Sunset Vale since I have only PDFs now, and the Volo's Guides use the 1" = 30 miles thing; useless in a pdf, and I no longer have my cross-edition corrected/adjusted maps (and the scale and layout change dramatically between editions).

I can't seem to find nearly as many copies of Brian/Shley's Cormyr map on the net as I used to - I think they got someone ganking them now. I managed to locate a high-res one Mr.Shley himself posted, so I'm tinkering with it now.

EDIT: I can't believe there has never been an official, complete, detailed map of that region!!! It seems who ever laid-out the maps for that Volo's Guide (Sword Coast) forgot quite a few maps - there is absolutely no view of Scornubel!

Not a city-map - I am looking for a small, detailed over-land map of the vicinity. This region was also pretty badly twisted-up by the 3rd edition changes, which makes using the undetailed world-maps near-useless. Even the Fonstad map has almost no detail beyond the major settlements (which world maps also show).

Plus I had at least 5 (canon) locales never shown on any map. {sigh} Bugger - I hate when I start obsessing over something.
Jorkens Posted - 09 Apr 2012 : 16:22:09
In that case it deserves it.

I am almost sorry to have to say this to you, knowing how you feel about maps. I didn't handle it; we never cared that much about the maps and mostly ignored the pirate part of The Five Shires except for having hin river pirates along the Chionthar. I have just taken what I liked from the Five Shires and used it when needed, its probably not a perfect fit, but it works for me.

I would never touch the swamp, at least not to make them smaller; swamps are great and there should be more of them. Its the best way to find a logical dangerous area near civilised lands.

Talking about this it seems like its time for me to look at a few Realmsbooks seriously again, even though I don't run them at the moment.

PS. What Sunset Vale lore are you thinking about? Is it something that is impossible to adapt to a modern hin land?
Markustay Posted - 09 Apr 2012 : 15:47:45
Its sad?

You guys really have me itching to get my hands on another copy of Photoshop - at least two different conversions.

Jorkens, if you put it in the Sunset Vale, how did you handle the coast? I'm studying both maps now, and I think stealing most of the Goblin Marches might work, and just make the River Tun navigable (and broad just below the FR Five Shires). I'd have to jockey-around the swamps, but we have two so its no big deal (combine both into the Malpheggi Swamp?) I am assuming you put it in Sunset vale proper (my way would screw-up using the Barony as Darkhold)?

I just hate the idea of losing the existing Sunset Vale lore - studying the maps, I can't figure out why no-one has ever bother to make the Tun and Upper Chionthar navigable and build a canal? The returns would be enormous!
Jorkens Posted - 09 Apr 2012 : 14:15:17
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

quote:

Five Shires: the hin of the Sunrise mountains. The pirate part would probably go with Luiren if I used the area again.

Quoting this older bit, with a more recent statement... When I finally got my hands on The Five Shires, I mentioned it in an email to Ed, commenting that I thought it'd work well in Luiren. His response:

quote:
Sure. Superimpose the Luiren cities and government structure, shift places "just a little" to make room for them, and, yes, it works admirably for that. Almost as if someone designed it that way. ;}

Yea, I know, but to me Luiren is to far away to be useful. And I never liked the Sunset Vale anyway; it is supposed to be a major source producing region, but without organized leadership in any form. Its easier to make them halflings than to believe humans could do that or that some other grouping would take control. Plus, Darkhold makes a great Black Eagle barony. Cormyr should of course be Karameikos

Oh, I was just commenting on the viability of using The Five Shires as a Realms resource, not commenting on the placement or anything.

Oh I got that, I was just making a further comment on how I did it.

Edit: Why is this blue?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Apr 2012 : 10:57:08
quote:

quote:

quote:

Five Shires: the hin of the Sunrise mountains. The pirate part would probably go with Luiren if I used the area again.

Quoting this older bit, with a more recent statement... When I finally got my hands on The Five Shires, I mentioned it in an email to Ed, commenting that I thought it'd work well in Luiren. His response:

quote:
Sure. Superimpose the Luiren cities and government structure, shift places "just a little" to make room for them, and, yes, it works admirably for that. Almost as if someone designed it that way. ;}

Yea, I know, but to me Luiren is to far away to be useful. And I never liked the Sunset Vale anyway; it is supposed to be a major source producing region, but without organized leadership in any form. Its easier to make them halflings than to believe humans could do that or that some other grouping would take control. Plus, Darkhold makes a great Black Eagle barony. Cormyr should of course be Karameikos

Oh, I was just commenting on the viability of using The Five Shires as a Realms resource, not commenting on the placement or anything.
Jorkens Posted - 09 Apr 2012 : 07:18:18
quote:

quote:

quote:

Markustay Posted - 08 Apr 2012 : 16:23:16
So what you are saying is that Abeir is actually Mystara...

Mystra... Mystara...

I'm kidding, but using Mystara for Abeir would work well-enough, and considering how many things (published) FR got from there (and GH), it would make some sense - all that land swapping back-and-forth every time there is a world-shifting magical disaster.

So now I figured that Oerth is Earth in the far future, and Mystara is Abeir - all we need to do is figure-out what else Krynn might be, and we have good hypothesis of why those three worlds - Toril, Oerth, and Krynn - form the only known 'anchored trinity' of Crystal Spheres in the cosmos.

I really like the idea of Shar being the "Dark Powers" (or perhaps just their leader, from the Fane of Shadows), and merging parts of The Realms with RL, but then I realize we already have a mechanism for this - the Shadowfel. We could leave the Domains of Dread right where they are, and just use the mists a lot in FR and it would work.

Has there been any canonical connection between the Shades and Ravenloft? I just started reading the trilogy, but I'm only a chapter in. I find it very hard to believe that the Shades and Shadar-Kai never butted-heads with the Domain Lords or the Malaugrym. Then again, a plane is a big place (at least as large as the entire prime material plane).

Since this thread was last active, I've gone from shoehorning all kinds of 'kewl stuff' into the Realms, to shoehorning parts of the Realms into my own setting. After a certain point, you just can't call it the Realms anymore.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Apr 2012 : 15:26:03
quote:

quote:
Thrasymachus Posted - 08 Apr 2012 : 06:17:47
Warhammer
I have blatantly taken characters like Josef Bugman and just about any other dwarf, and tossed them into a mountain that I can let the PC’s bang against anyway they want. I don’t even change the names, so I can keep them straight in my head.
I have taken the idea of witchunters, acting as my dark side of Cormyr.
I have taken entire Warhammer 40K novels, scanned them and edited them so the space ships are flying galleons for an alternate time line adventure.
I run my orcs like Warhammer Orc’s

I have borrowed heavily from Stephen King’s “It” for a bad guy that keeps coming back. If you read enough King, it’s like a world.
Amraz one arm Posted - 24 Apr 2009 : 15:27:18
What I have added in the lastest campaign.

One of the group decided he was gonna play an elf. And was going for Seeker of the Misty Isle.
Ofcourse its fantasy and I let my players be what ever the want to make their experience as enjoyable as possible.
This how ever created quiet a problem for me.( Not the least of all that my story was gonna take place in Mulhoran).
While dwelling on this whole Isle idea, I noticed my players where happy with the idea that some of them had important personal quests. So I had to improvice since they started wandering off the map, as players do :S I had them pick up on the whole Elven return Idea. And great wars being fought in the dalelands.

So the I came up with a side-story for the Misty Isle. Inspired by Tolkien.
Once before the sundering. There was this island Kingdom of Nol'rod.
It was an Sun-elf kingdom of great renown for craftmanship, outstripping all other races.
And the trade generated by this made it prosper.
Many a fine century passed over this fine kingdom, until a new royal heir was born (here comes the Tolkien Part). This child was blessed on all fronts. For when he reached his adulthood, his craft was better than any on the Isle, and his sword-dances faster and more elegant than any Elf. And his face even fairer than any of the fair folk should have.
He was driven with a ambition to always outshine he's previous creation or deeds.
And so he was loved on the Island, beyond all other things. Already being worship as an Hero before his first great Deed. (he created many artifacts ((pc's have found only 1 yet)), fought a few dragons and sea-monters here and there)
Culminating in a epic fight in which he killed a minor-seadeity of currents.
Attaining a sliver of divinty. By that time, he's mind and mood had already started changing.
He was beyond arrogance, he was King of his people, greatest among those trained in the Art, and a true master of the forge. When his most precious artifact got stolen (A great Gem, called the Daugther of Beauty) from the still-warm neck of his only child. He went into a rage. This deed, was so abhorent to the Elf and unmistakenly done by an outsider (For all his people loved him) He orderd all foreigner be it Elf or not thrown of the island. And all of them where hearded in the Sea, and many died that day in the ones cristal clear water of the Isle. This Correlon couldnt approve or forgive. For sheding the blood of his Kin. He called deep Shallas to him. And together set about the doom of this Ilse. Great Floods and Storms assailed the Isle. But the Mythal created by the Elves was so strong and well designed it stopped the worst. Correlon tried to dissolve the Mythal but the Elf kings sliver of divinty stopped this. And so Correlon did what he thought just, if the mythal would break in this world. It would cast the mythal out of this world. And so the mist rolled in and the Isle dissappeared for good. Correlon set about wiping the living Elves memory of the place.
But Gruumsh and Kurtulmak fooled Correlon for a device created by the Kurtulmak was interfering with the Godly Spell. Creating a different message in the spell. Making the Isle lost instead of forgotten. The rest did work. No one know where the Island was or is.
But the seed of adventure was created. And Correllon made a bad thing good. For the quest is very Elvish, although he intends for no-elf to succeed. But the journey is more important than the destination.
Gruumsh wants the island to be found. But doesnt have a clue to where it is.
Kurtulmak is just happy his prank worked so good.
The state of the island inhabitants have changed. They are all lawful-evil elves, with murderous intentous for anything not-elf. And a ruled by a demi-god bound to his own mythal.

They players havent got their yet. But thats what waiting for them.

A "Feanor" kinda Elf, yearning for release, and most of all revenge.

Cant blame me for copying from the Tolkien he just writes so good :D

Nerfed2Hell Posted - 24 Apr 2009 : 01:12:52
quote:

Vikings from the green series of historical sources gave some lore to the north.

I did this. I located it on its own Norway-shaped (not identically) island continent south of Al-Qadim. Now the enlightened people need to worry about "barbarians" from the north and the south.

I also notice more than a couple references to merging Ravenloft stuff into the Realms in this thread. I actually borrowed an idea I read on the WotC forums awhile back, bringing the whole of Ravenloft to Toril. The demiplane is gone, the Dark Powers have been replaced by Shar (secretly, of course), and the mists can appear anywhere. The actual domains of Ravenloft have taken up permanent residence spread out across Toril (usually, but not always, in an appropriate locale) and the lords of those domains are still stuck within the boundries of their respective domains. Island domains appear and disappear randomly and in different locations... as I see fit (pretty much when I want to do something with them). The vistani have also been brought across and wander about gathering nothing but scorn from Realmsian natives (for the most part); they can navigate misty borders and defy Shar's control over the aspects of the former demiplane's effects that carried over to the Realms.
Markustay Posted - 23 Apr 2009 : 17:34:45
Too numerous to mention... and more gets added every day (even though I don't have a current game running).

I found Amarel_Derakanor's contributions above very interesting, though. When I ran my Anchorome/Old West campaign set in FR's future, I used the maps from Red Steel and just rotated them 90º counter-clockwise for Anchorome's coast (and the nations therein).

However, if I were to 're-imagine' the rest of the world to my liking, I would set the entire Greyhawk continent (Flanaess) in place of Anchorome (all those islands off the coast correspond nicely to what Ed had envisioned), and then I would take the Mystara 'Known World' maps (main campaign area), and invert it, and place it to the south (so that the coast faced UP, and the Empire of Alphatia took the place of that long 'string' of Island east of Zakhara).

That would be my dream-world, composed of my three favorites, with lots and LOTS of grand places to visit.
Jorkens Posted - 23 Apr 2009 : 08:04:04
When I think of this I see how much I have really changed the realms through the years. But to try to keep it to incorporated from the outside.

Known world gazetteers. Karameikos: mixed into Cormyr.
Rockhome: Most of this has been mixed into dwarven lore in my campaigns, together with the Complete Dwarves handbook.
Glantri: Some of this went into Sembia.
Emirates of Ylaruam: quite a bit of the lore for this one went into Anauroch.

Vikings from the green series of historical sources gave some lore to the north.

Several elements from Dragon magazine articles, such as Frost Wizards and Path magic for example I have used in some campaigns.

The feel of the old The Flight of Dragons movie has a tendency to sneak into the world.

Roger Dean-like floating islands, many of them with gates to the astral plane (which is filled with these), float over Faerun.

The older pulpish wizards of Ashton smith, Carter, Howard and Moorcock are used in Thay and the East.

Some magic from the old Lord of the Rings game from the 80's is inspiration for bardic and ranger magic.

Elements of old fantasy works (lost city's, flying ships, logics around magic, etc.) I have read can turn up all over the place.

There's probably more, but that's what I can think of at the moment.
Amarel Derakanor Posted - 27 Oct 2008 : 22:36:41
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Well, for d20 supplements, I have always given my players the choice to play races (yes, even warforged) from pretty every official WotC d20 book in the Realms. My philosophy has always been that since the Realms is such a high-magic place, there is always a chance that a small community of each race resides somewhere in the Realms.

That's an interesting philosophy, indeed. I think I'll keep that one in mind.

As for my own imports, Maztica in *my* Realms is actually the Flanaess, albeit a "warped" version, set in the far past of Greyhawks timeline, while Vecna's empire was at its peak. The part of that continent that should be facing south actually faces east, instead.
Hawkins Posted - 27 Oct 2008 : 22:08:59
Well, for d20 supplements, I have always given my players the choice to play races (yes, even warforged) from pretty every official WotC d20 book in the Realms. My philosophy has always been that since the Realms is such a high-magic place, there is always a chance that a small community of each race resides somewhere in the Realms.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Oct 2008 : 22:01:21
Three and a half years later, I stumbled across one of my own threads... It was an interesting one, and I decided to see if I could get it going again. To repeat the original post:

quote:

In order to dodge Big Al's staff, I decided to take a discussion to a new thread...

The Realms has, over the years, had a lot of stuff imported into it. Some is from Ed's own stuff, like the many various portals to elsewhere. Some has been added by other authors or bolted on as additions to the Realms...

Due to both the nature of the old planar cosmology and spelljamming, a lot of stuff from other worlds has wound up in the Realms, either long-term or short term.

As I recall, Ed's "Wizards Three" articles mentioned Elminster and Mordenkainen visiting each others' homeworlds (I don't recall if either visited Krynn, or if Dalamar visited Oerth or Toril). All three, plus the Simbul, Laeral, and Qilué have visited Earth, and Elminster in particular has been known to import Earth goods into the Realms (particularly German beer, as I recall).

Khelben Arunsun the Younger, born in Waterdeep, is now on Oerth, as I recall.

Spelljamming elves have visited the Realms. They're mentioned in the Evermeet novel, and in the Sea of Fallen Stars, an elven ship has grown into an undersea "forest". I also recall from somewhere that there's a green dragon lairing in an old spelljammer.

In Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck, we have a spelljammer that lands in the Realms. A giff crewman is killed there, and we later find out that one of the characters from those novels is a native of Krynn. Also, at the end of Tymora's Luck, we have a kender visiting the Realms. The Spelljammer comic had people from other worlds briefly visiting the Realms, as did the Cloakmaster Cycle of novels from the Spelljammer line.

From other, non-D20 gameworlds, we have at least one visitor: There's a Newhon ghoul mentioned in Code of the Harpers.

Some of my own ideas have involved bringing a single dragonspawn from Krynn to the Realms, and having a Space Marine (from Warhammer 40k) who winds up in the Realms. I've also pondered how to convert a World of Darkness Ananasi (werespider) into a Realms NPC...

Did I miss any?

Anyway, I'm just wondering what else people have brought to the Realms, both from WotC worlds and from non-WotC worlds.

I'll add to this: I think Eber-whatsit's shifters and changelings fit into the Realms quite readily, with just minor tweaks to the racial history.
dracochapel Posted - 18 May 2005 : 07:16:32
An Athasian Epic level character who had become a Dragon. He spent most of his time in the underdark becoming a deity of several of those races. His portfolio was Power, Vengeance and Psionics. By the time of the campaign he had started to branch out above the surface, into power hungry states like Sembia, Amn and Thay.
His main enemy were the Illithids who didnt like this intruder claiming psionic power.
He's otherwise careful about who he offends (and is the sort of god who sidles into the pantheon when no one is looking and then claims to have always been there and didnt you notice me before? )
Thauramarth Posted - 16 May 2005 : 13:57:35
As far as imports are concerned, most of these are "local", adding a village where there's none on the map, or adapting an existing location to better fit a generic adventure, or a "foreign" adventure (drawn from another D&D world, or from another game system).

I've used locations, NPCs, and material from Ravenloft (especially the Van Richten's Guides), and notable adventure sites from other systems, such as Dragon Mountain, the Night Below, the Temple of Elemental Evil...

I've also used "foreign" material to flesh out existing locales. I've used the material for Lankhmar as a stand-in for Telflamm.

As far as "larger-scale" imports are concerned, I've always had a soft sport for all things Egyptian , and I've added a whole continent of Egyptian-based nations to the west of Zakhara.

Have been added to the southern continents:
- a version of the Land of the Dead (from Warhammer Battle and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay) to the north of Zakhara (in the isthmus connecting southern Faerun and Kara-Tur to Zakhara)
- a version of Robert E. Howard's Stygia, with the wizards of the Black Circle included...
- the condo of one of the undead pharaohs of the south bears a copyright-infriging likeness to the album cover of Iron Maiden's "Power Slave".
- have also made an appearance: the goa'uld (can't help it - Egyptian inspiration, so...), the Melniboneans, walking like an Egyptian...

You get the point...

Have also visted my version of the Realms: Cthluhu and Friends, with an NPC wizards serving Nyarlathotep (inserted in what was then Planescape as a race lost in the voids of Carceri).
Jindael Posted - 13 May 2005 : 22:47:51
Not in a d20 game, no. In the original Rokugan, yes, in so far as I was a player and got tainted.

Keep in mind that there is a d20 Rokugan book that has the rules for taint also, as well as the rest of Rokugan. (And the rules for taint were lifted from there to be put in Unearthed Arcana.) However, if you’re a fan of 1st edition L5R, your probably not going to like d20 L5R. Also, it’s 3.0 IIRC.
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 13 May 2005 : 20:55:04
Thanks for the info, Jindael. I will sneak... err... search in one friends books for this tome, so...

Have you already used taint rules or know someone that used?
Jindael Posted - 13 May 2005 : 20:04:06
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Actually, I've been thinking about how I would represent the Shadowlands Taint in the Realms. If the Shadowlands are in fact a demi-plane that exists in the Material sphere... then the application of the Taint becomes rather simple. However, the only really appropriate place to locate the Shadowlands would be in the Endless Wastes, and I have other ideas for that region.

If you don't already have Unearthed Arcana then you should pick it up; it has taint rules.
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 13 May 2005 : 14:57:43
And if it was an intersection, a point, a blob where an island of the Ethereal Plane stay locked in Toril? Maybe this work, and give some "Ravenloft flavor" to deal with the place...
The Sage Posted - 13 May 2005 : 14:45:44
Actually, I've been thinking about how I would represent the Shadowlands Taint in the Realms. If the Shadowlands are in fact a demi-plane that exists in the Material sphere... then the application of the Taint becomes rather simple. However, the only really appropriate place to locate the Shadowlands would be in the Endless Wastes, and I have other ideas for that region.
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 13 May 2005 : 13:19:53
Well, yes, I don´t think too much in the Shadowlands... not yet.

The groups are, at this moment, learning the strange ways of the ocident, so I´m more focused in intrigue and crazy trips in Faerun. But, to the Waterdeep group, I´m thinking in prepare a good voyage to Rokugan. The persecution to the Sazaki family is coming to an end, and, if everything stay well, father and son will need to go to Rokugan to put and end in their problems. And, of course, the group will go together: a heartland barbarian, a watherdavian bard, a red wizard of thay, and a shield dwarf fighter. This will be very interesting...

An so is my time to start to think about the Shadowland stuff: and if the Crane bushi that´s moving the pieces of this mortal game of power is tainted by the Shadowlands? Or blackmailed? And I really have to develop a way to incorporate the Shadowlands in Toril... yes, yes... time to put the ol´head to work
The Sage Posted - 13 May 2005 : 02:44:15
Indeed it does. I also have enjoyed how you have incorporated the Clans into your Kara-Tur setting. Very interesting.

I notice however that you didn't bring any elements of the Shadowlands into your interpretation. That is the one area of Rokugan that I've recently been concentrating on for bringing into my FR games.

Since Kara-Tur has a separate cosmology, I was thinking about using the Shadowlands, with slight modifications that represent a more D&D-feel - like for example, Shadow Plane and Ethereal Plane effects - and adjust some of its effects on the surrounding Realms/Kara-Tur landscape. Of course, whether I have it as a Material-based demi-plane... is another matter entirely and one I haven't really thought too much about yet.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000