Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What have you imported into the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  21:35:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In order to dodge Big Al's staff, I decided to take a discussion to a new thread...

The Realms has, over the years, had a lot of stuff imported into it. Some is from Ed's own stuff, like the many various portals to elsewhere. Some has been added by other authors or bolted on as additions to the Realms...

Due to both the nature of the old planar cosmology and spelljamming, a lot of stuff from other worlds has wound up in the Realms, either long-term or short term.

As I recall, Ed's "Wizards Three" articles mentioned Elminster and Mordenkainen visiting each others' homeworlds (I don't recall if either visited Krynn, or if Dalamar visited Oerth or Toril). All three, plus the Simbul, Laeral, and Qilué have visited Earth, and Elminster in particular has been known to import Earth goods into the Realms (particularly German beer, as I recall).

Khelben Arunsun the Younger, born in Waterdeep, is now on Oerth, as I recall.

Spelljamming elves have visited the Realms. They're mentioned in the Evermeet novel, and in the Sea of Fallen Stars, an elven ship has grown into an undersea "forest". I also recall from somewhere that there's a green dragon lairing in an old spelljammer.

In Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck, we have a spelljammer that lands in the Realms. A giff crewman is killed there, and we later find out that one of the characters from those novels is a native of Krynn. Also, at the end of Tymora's Luck, we have a kender visiting the Realms. The Spelljammer comic had people from other worlds briefly visiting the Realms, as did the Cloakmaster Cycle of novels from the Spelljammer line.

From other, non-D20 gameworlds, we have at least one visitor: There's a Newhon ghoul mentioned in Code of the Harpers.

Some of my own ideas have involved bringing a single dragonspawn from Krynn to the Realms, and having a Space Marine (from Warhammer 40k) who winds up in the Realms. I've also pondered how to convert a World of Darkness Ananasi (werespider) into a Realms NPC...

Did I miss any?

Anyway, I'm just wondering what else people have brought to the Realms, both from WotC worlds and from non-WotC worlds.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  21:50:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Anyway, I'm just wondering what else people have brought to the Realms, both from WotC worlds and from non-WotC worlds.

As I mentioned in a thread well over a year ago, I imported the D20 Fantasy City, Freeport, into the Realms. All in all, the pirate setting is richly detailed with wonderful roleplaying opportunities. I know this FR DM and my players enjoyed this import.

I wonder if there will be a thread in the future on "What have you exported from the Realms?"
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  21:56:09  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm embarassed to mention this - but I spent most of my 1987-1995 campaign that I ran in the World of Greyhawk importing all the FR material I could get my hands on! I couldn't jump the group over to the Realms, so I brought all the great Realms stuff to them! SB, does that count as "exporting the Realms"

Edited by - thom on 23 Apr 2005 21:56:56
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  22:03:42  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I do not share all the blame imported to realms as a persistant feature has been some Elfriders (from Elf Quest) that are trying to find a nitch in that world.
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  22:18:32  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well my imports haven't become TOO blatent... but i have been using the Warhammer Wood Elves for inspiration, right down to the Glade Riders and Warhawk riders.

I also use the old Warhammer Necromancers for character inspiration (as detailed in the old "Warhammer Armies: Undead" and to a lesser extent the later "Warhammer Armies: Vampire Counts" books). They make for great wandering villains.

Beyond that i try to be subtle... I do like to pinch from the work of David Eddings... my ideas of Sembians have been influenced by Drasnians from the Belgariad... and vice-versa. Also from Eddings, one of my major NPCs might just happen to be a little bit like the character Mandorallan. Oh, and the few occaisions Elminster himself has appeared in my games, i've given him many of Belgarath the Sorceror's character traits.

I have come close to importing fairly random bits and pieces... i considered making a vampire or two based on the clans from White Wolf's Vampire: The Masquerade. The idea fell through around the same time my interest in that particular RPG brand waned.

GH

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  23:23:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well I do not share all the blame imported to realms as a persistant feature has been some Elfriders (from Elf Quest) that are trying to find a nitch in that world.

You mean the Wolf Riders? That's interesting... Where did you put them, and how did they get there?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  23:25:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and a couple other notations...

I think that the Van Richten's Guides are wonderful resources, and can be used for any setting.

I've also fiddled with how to translate a BattleMech into D&D stats, though I've no plans on what to do with it.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 Apr 2005 23:26:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  23:28:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gerath Hoan

Well my imports haven't become TOO blatent... but i have been using the Warhammer Wood Elves for inspiration, right down to the Glade Riders and Warhawk riders.

I also use the old Warhammer Necromancers for character inspiration (as detailed in the old "Warhammer Armies: Undead" and to a lesser extent the later "Warhammer Armies: Vampire Counts" books). They make for great wandering villains.

Beyond that i try to be subtle... I do like to pinch from the work of David Eddings... my ideas of Sembians have been influenced by Drasnians from the Belgariad... and vice-versa. Also from Eddings, one of my major NPCs might just happen to be a little bit like the character Mandorallan. Oh, and the few occaisions Elminster himself has appeared in my games, i've given him many of Belgarath the Sorceror's character traits.

I have come close to importing fairly random bits and pieces... i considered making a vampire or two based on the clans from White Wolf's Vampire: The Masquerade. The idea fell through around the same time my interest in that particular RPG brand waned.

GH

I'm not overly familiar with WH Fantasy, but I can see how some of the things in there would translate well into D&D.

As for Vampire, I've got a passing familiarity with that game. Which clans, and what were your plans for them?

Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  00:08:38  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As for Vampire, I've got a passing familiarity with that game. Which clans, and what were your plans for them?

Well the Tszmisce were quite fun, they'd have made great necromancers who experiment on unwilling subjects and create new kinds of beasties. All that fleshcrafting and 'Old World' eccentric charm made them my fave of the clans.

Other ideas seemed less fun, but the Lasombra would work well as Shadow Weave magic users and the Gangrel as vampire druids (or possibly rangers).

Ultimately i was just using their clans as archetypal vampires, and seeing how to translate their powers into the game. It's the attitude i wanted most, the Tszmisce being the best example of that.

I love that odd nobleman in a crumbling castle, in some gods forsaken backwater feel. The Von Carstein family, from "Warhammer Armies: Vampire Counts" capture that feel very well. They also had 3 or 4 fully fleshed out characters who had very distanct personalities and traits which convert nicely to D&D.

Vlad Von Carstein was a tactical genius, i'd make him a high level Aristocrat/Fighter/Necromancer multiclass.

Manfred Von Carstein was the greatest of the family's spellcasters, so i'd make him a Necromancer/Archmage (or perhaps use a prestige class from Libris Mortis, which i don't yet own). He could also maybe have one or two starting levels in aristocrat.

Konrad Von Carstein was described as a bloodthirsty killer, prone to frenzied rages, so he'd likely be a Fighter/Barbarian combination.

Anyways, that's most of my thinking on Vampires, other than using Ravenloft sources as you've already mentioned.

GH

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  03:15:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

You mean the Wolf Riders? That's interesting... Where did you put them, and how did they get there?

The where I do not recall at the moment, the how is simple though a planer portal/gate. Where almost certainly the woods of some kind near Westlake estate which was a Character holding somewhere on the planet.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  04:54:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

...or if Dalamar visited Oerth or Toril...
He did visit Toril. In one of his first appearances he reflects for about a quarter of a page about his journey to the world where the "Seven" are "One". This appears to be a reference to his meeting several of the Seven Sisters.

quote:

Correct. Although there are instances of him travelling to other worlds.

quote:
Some of my own ideas have involved bringing a single dragonspawn from Krynn to the Realms...
Which Dragon Overlord were they spawned by?

quote:
...and having a Space Marine (from Warhammer 40k) who winds up in the Realms.
I can't recall, but which Chapter was he from? Not the World Eaters I hope... .

quote:
I've also fiddled with how to translate a BattleMech into D&D stats, though I've no plans on what to do with it.
I did. A clanking, riveted monstrosity called an "UrbanMech" . I ported it into the Barrier Peaks region of GH.

If you're looking for fantasy Mechs though, I would recommend both the Iron Kingdoms setting, and the world of Highpoint as portrayed in the DragonMech tome. Both do an "adequate-to-good" job of exploring the possibilities of mechs in a fantasy setting.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  05:40:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

...or if Dalamar visited Oerth or Toril...
He did visit Toril. In one of his first appearances he reflects for about a quarter of a page about his journey to the world where the "Seven" are "One". This appears to be a reference to his meeting several of the Seven Sisters.

Ah, I did not remember that. It's been quite a while since I read those articles.

quote:

quote:

Correct. Although there are instances of him travelling to other worlds.

Really? All I knew was that he was on Oerth. Where are these other instances mentioned?

quote:

quote:

Some of my own ideas have involved bringing a single dragonspawn from Krynn to the Realms...
Which Dragon Overlord were they spawned by?

Khellandros. Blues are my fave of the chromatics, and I liked Skie.

quote:

quote:

...and having a Space Marine (from Warhammer 40k) who winds up in the Realms.
I can't recall, but which Chapter was he from? Not the World Eaters I hope... .

Nah, it's some made-up Chapter. I was thinking maybe Blood Shadows, a spin-off of the Blood Angels, with black armor with red trim.

quote:

quote:

I did. A clanking, riveted monstrosity called an "UrbanMech" . I ported it into the Barrier Peaks region of GH.

Eww... Why did you pick such an ugly Mech?

quote:

If you're looking for fantasy Mechs though, I would recommend both the Iron Kingdoms setting, and the world of Highpoint as portrayed in the DragonMech tome. Both do an "adequate-to-good" job of exploring the possibilities of mechs in a fantasy setting.

Nope, not looking for fantasy Mechs -- though I have pondered picking up DragonMech, to see what it's like. Nah, I want to bring a true BattleMech. It would prolly be a scout Mech, because even a 3025 Locust could chew through an unprepared group of adventurers... If it was something much bigger than that, it could get nasty...

Ooh, imagine a Daishi Prime versus a dragon... Heck, even a Point of Rocs or Minotaurs could prove challenging for a dragon...

My reasons for wanting to do something silly like that are simple: I like mixing up different things, and I like the combination of high-tech versus low-tech (I love it in Return of the Jedi when the Ewoks are taking on the Imperials and winning! ).

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Apr 2005 05:41:59
Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  07:37:58  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm no DM, but the campaigns I played featured Starcraft's Protoss and Zerg, Final Fantasy's characters (never put Sephiroth...his sword ain't fair), the DM's (and my) home made silk elves, Warcraft orcs and night elves, and finally, Jedi...

Playing a winged dwarf with acrophobia is fun.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  08:33:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhezarnos

I'm no DM, but the campaigns I played featured Starcraft's Protoss and Zerg, Final Fantasy's characters (never put Sephiroth...his sword ain't fair), the DM's (and my) home made silk elves, Warcraft orcs and night elves, and finally, Jedi...

Jedi in D&D? How'd that work out?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  09:04:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, I did not remember that. It's been quite a while since I read those articles.
It's not from the articles in Dragon. It's actually from a section in a DL novel .

quote:

Really? All I knew was that he was on Oerth. Where are these other instances mentioned?
One of the later GH tomes, I think. I'm not sure though. I'll take a look-see .

quote:

If I brought dragonspawn into the Realms, I'd make them black, taken from the Overlord Onysablet. But in the case of FR, I'd have them be the creation of Voaraghamanthar... perhaps as a product of both him and his twin's (Waervaerendor) rare birth.

quote:

Nah, it's some made-up Chapter. I was thinking maybe Blood Shadows, a spin-off of the Blood Angels, with black armor with red trim.
The concept of archaic and centuries old armor that most Space Marines wear has a certain fantasy ring to it. Almost like the heredity armors and weaponry of the Solamnic Knights on Krynn.

If I brought Space Marines into my Realms campaign, I'd play on this aspect considerably, suggesting that the armors may have become more arcane than technological.

quote:

Quite simply because I didn't want anything TOO powerful. And at the time, the shape of the UrbanMech just seemed to represent what I was looking for with my idea to include such a concept in a fantasy setting.

quote:

Nope, not looking for fantasy Mechs -- though I have pondered picking up DragonMech, to see what it's like. Nah, I want to bring a true BattleMech. It would prolly be a scout Mech, because even a 3025 Locust could chew through an unprepared group of adventurers... If it was something much bigger than that, it could get nasty...
Just as long as it's not Unseen .

quote:
Ooh, imagine a Daishi Prime versus a dragon... Heck, even a Point of Rocs or Minotaurs could prove challenging for a dragon...
I was thinking about the proto-mechs actually, since many of them have a general mythic creature shape to them.

And forget about that Clan terror... I want my PPC-bearing Atlas facing off against a horde of storm giants .

quote:
My reasons for wanting to do something silly like that are simple: I like mixing up different things, and I like the combination of high-tech versus low-tech (I love it in Return of the Jedi when the Ewoks are taking on the Imperials and winning! ).

I'm of much the same frame of mind, when the mood strikes me. I'm not all that hung up on whether or not it will be difficult representing such outside concepts in D&D stats. So long as the player can bring an interesting tale regarding their entry into the game (and provided the new element isn't too unbalancing) to the table, I'll find a way to bring it into the story.

I will not however, include outside elements simply because they are COOL! The progress and integrity of the story must be maintained regardless.

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  10:43:07  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i´ve tried (and still do) to keep "imports" in the realms at a minimum, because there´s enough good realmsian stuff to create a distinct atmosphere AND at the same time there´s enough canon lore that "sticks out" as exotic.

as i dm two longtime- campaigns and several smaller ones (mostly solo-adventures that evoled into small campaigns, and many brief sidetreks) but have not enough time to dm regularly, i try to concentrate on the "original realms". had i more time, i´d surely introduce more exotic "imports"...

things i have imported, or will do:

- the night below- campaign: i placed the haranshire (that´s the surface part of that monster of an underdark-adventure) in western mistledale, thus replacing the "wild beastlands" (a description volo used to describe that unsettled stretch of land between peldan´s helm and tilverton, iirc). after combining the underdark maps of NB with the map of the dales, cormyr and sembia, i found some great "geographic coincidences": the shadow dragons cave is located right beside arkendale´s "steep face" and the behir has an exit-tunnel into the archwood, the slimetemple sit´s snugly below Ordulin (my players have yet to find the tunnel to the surface), one peculiar stretch on the way down is located very close to hunter´s down (prison of a part of moander´s divine essence), and so on. i had done the map-matching almost two years after the campaign started, because it simply wasn´t neccessarry before. imagine my surprise when i realized that coincidences! they immediately enabled to tie the campaign even closer into the realms...

- after reading half a dozen of anne rice´s vampire chronicles books, i´ve revamped (bad pun intended) these monsters, giving them more personality, and imported some of the elder ones into the realms (marius, pandora, lestat, louis, gabrielle, santino) by writing small descriptions for each of them in i diary, written by a female vampire npc (modelled after amadeo´s personality and history) who can feed on blood but vastly prefers to feed on passion instead - leaving a heartbroken lover in her wake every tenday.
[oh boy... why do i regularly create such a monster of a sentence? )
btw: van rychtens guides are a resource i don´t want to do without!

- spelljamming will feature more prominently in my future games: one campaign will leave toril altogether (starting with wildspace) and in the other one, the players recently came to know that dretchroyaster, the monarch reborn (a green dracolich, see the 2e cult of the dragon sourcebook) finally found a spelljamming helm...

- the mind lords of talaron from dragon #281 will come into play as psionic henchmen in the night below campaign soon. some of talaron´s people had migrated to toril when their world fell several centuries ago to the mindflayers and integrated themselves into faerun´s society. even after generations of peaceful live they still have an unyielding hate against all things illithid.

- i imported the eleti, a good or neutral aligned undead race from fantasy fligt´s mythic races. there are a few of them "living" in the thunderstone mountains, and a young one of them was taken in as apprentice by a pc (a "white necromancer" who loves nothing more than blasting away undead with his "necronic missile" spell - and constantly encounters good (or at least neutral) undead, so he fights more against moral dilemmas than against undead beings )

- i am still usure about placing the vault of larin carr (sp?) in mistledale, not for playing the whole adventure but just for having more locations and npc´s and thus a more dense atmosphere.

Edited by - tauster on 24 Apr 2005 10:45:36
Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  11:06:20  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Bad. DM at that time (another guy) was a POS. Kept making them goody-goody-two-shoes so damned invincible. Shoot an arrow, the lightsaber incinerates it. Use a sword, the lightsaber melts it...heck, can't even use spells on them. "Their use of the Force creates a shield, rendering all spells against them useless."
AARRGH!

Go to Top of Page

TymoraChosen
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  11:21:45  Show Profile  Visit TymoraChosen's Homepage Send TymoraChosen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the game designers really need to review the games themselves, a bit unfair that the foe possess such an advantage.

May tymora's blessings be heaped on all
Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  12:28:44  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You haven't seen stats for Force Lightning yet...one zap, the whle party goes to -25hp or more. We quit the game 1 hour after meeting the Jedi.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  13:08:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Use a sword, the lightsaber melts it...
Oh... You should have had the PC coat his/her longsword in a cortosis weave. That would surely have protected it against lightsaber attacks .

Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  13:15:03  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Use a sword, the lightsaber melts it...
Oh... You should have had the PC coat his/her longsword in a cortosis weave. That would surely have protected it against lightsaber attacks .

Now why didn't I think of that before?

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  15:35:52  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jedi should be treated like some kind of psionic/monk characters.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  15:55:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Jedi should be treated like some kind of psionic/monk characters.

I rather like the idea of the psionic Mindknight being a representation of a Jedi Knight in a psionics-heavy fantasy campaign.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  17:06:48  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
where can I find detailed information about the class:"psychic warrior". I have no idea what it is.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  17:57:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's not from the articles in Dragon. It's actually from a section in a DL novel .

Ah, that explains it. I've not read much of the DL stuff since getting into the Realms. Other than the War of Souls stuff, I've pretty much ignored Krynn. I just got bored with it.

quote:

quote:

One of the later GH tomes, I think. I'm not sure though. I'll take a look-see .

...And I've not got much Greyhawk stuff, either. All I've got for Greyhawk is the old MC, Greyhawk Adventures, Castle Greyhawk, and the novels. And Greyspace, of course.

quote:

quote:

If I brought dragonspawn into the Realms, I'd make them black, taken from the Overlord Onysablet. But in the case of FR, I'd have them be the creation of Voaraghamanthar... perhaps as a product of both him and his twin's (Waervaerendor) rare birth.

Well, like I said, I like Skie the best and I like blues. I was only thinking of importing one individual dragonspawn, but making one that's homegrown is something I'd not considered. And in fact, that gives me another idea...

quote:

quote:

The concept of archaic and centuries old armor that most Space Marines wear has a certain fantasy ring to it. Almost like the heredity armors and weaponry of the Solamnic Knights on Krynn.

If I brought Space Marines into my Realms campaign, I'd play on this aspect considerably, suggesting that the armors may have become more arcane than technological.

That's an angle I'd not considered... Maybe I could tweak my concept a bit.

I did, however, think of the Marine getting some gold and hiring a wizard to magically modify his armor so it would be arcane-powered, instead of powered by whatever it's powered by.

And it's just a regular Tactical guy, but now that I think about it, bringing in a guy in Terminator armor could be interesting. I wonder how to do a power sword in D&D stats?

quote:

quote:

Quite simply because I didn't want anything TOO powerful. And at the time, the shape of the UrbanMech just seemed to represent what I was looking for with my idea to include such a concept in a fantasy setting.

I would have picked just about anything else... I'm weird when it comes to picking Mechs: I go by looks, first (with a few exceptions, like the Savage Coyote). Urbies are just plain ugly. I don't know what I would have picked, but it would have been something else.

quote:

quote:

Just as long as it's not Unseen .

I like the Reseen better, anyway.

quote:

quote:

I was thinking about the proto-mechs actually, since many of them have a general mythic creature shape to them.

And forget about that Clan terror... I want my PPC-bearing Atlas facing off against a horde of storm giants .

Minotaurs and Rocs are great Protos, and a single Point of either could do a lot in a fantasy world...

An Atlas versus storm giants... Interesante. As long as the storm giants didn't surround it, it wouldn't be pretty for them.

quote:

quote:

I'm of much the same frame of mind, when the mood strikes me. I'm not all that hung up on whether or not it will be difficult representing such outside concepts in D&D stats. So long as the player can bring an interesting tale regarding their entry into the game (and provided the new element isn't too unbalancing) to the table, I'll find a way to bring it into the story.

I will not however, include outside elements simply because they are COOL! The progress and integrity of the story must be maintained regardless.

Oh, yeah, I'd not have a Star of Clan Coyote Mechs wandering around for no reason... If I was to make something weird like that happen, I'd put a lot of time and thinking into making sure it made sense. For example, it wouldn't be too far outside the realm of possibility to have one of Halaster's gates grab a single Proto and transport it to Undermountain, but that's still a little too pat for me. (It would be interesting to see a Clanner outside his Mech, trying to figure out the Realms. Particularly if said Clanner was from one of the Crusader Clans...)

Actually, what first got me thinking about Mechs vs. PCs was Ed's article "Rough Times on Refuge". In the section on Below, it mentions that the Arcane keep Below stocked with monsters from hundreds of worlds, and inludes the statement "(DM's note: Everything from cartoon characters to modern soldiers can confront PCs on Below, which is covered with dense tropical jungles and shallow seas.)"

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  17:59:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

where can I find detailed information about the class:"psychic warrior". I have no idea what it is.

It's one of the main psionic classes. Refer to the Psionics Handbook for more info.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Apr 2005 17:59:49
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  18:02:50  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Wooly,

I read that document you sent me... wow, i'd forgotten just how inhuman Space Marines actually were! Even if you don't consider their weapons and armour as unbalancing, their physical properties are just immense!

Hmm, if i ever want to finish that fun conversion, i may want to have a rethink.

GH

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  18:03:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Bad. DM at that time (another guy) was a POS. Kept making them goody-goody-two-shoes so damned invincible. Shoot an arrow, the lightsaber incinerates it. Use a sword, the lightsaber melts it...heck, can't even use spells on them. "Their use of the Force creates a shield, rendering all spells against them useless."
AARRGH!

I'd certainly make a lightsaber very difficult to deal with, but I don't see why most magic wouldn't function normally against a Jedi (unless it's one of the ones that can absorb energy, and even then, I'd make the Jedi have to work for that -- absorbing a lightning bolt in one round would make it more difficult to absorb a fireball in the next, I'd say.). It sounds like that DM was a Jedi fanboy, and wasn't really mature enough to be a DM.

Besides, unless the party was evil, why would a Jedi fight them?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  18:10:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gerath Hoan

Hi Wooly,

I read that document you sent me... wow, i'd forgotten just how inhuman Space Marines actually were! Even if you don't consider their weapons and armour as unbalancing, their physical properties are just immense!

Hmm, if i ever want to finish that fun conversion, i may want to have a rethink.

GH

Yeah, just the Marine himself would be seriously unbalancing...

My idea was that once the Marine found himself in the Realms, he got some gold and had his armor magically modified so it's more magical than technical. As for weapons, I was going to let the guy have a standard bolter. But, he'd not be able to recreate the ammo for it. So he's got a limited amount of ammo and thus uses the bolter very sparingly.

I think that while it wouldn't be easy, making the armor magical would be a lot easier than using magic to create bolter shells. The former could be accomplished by a high-level wizard with plenty of time and an understanding of mechanical principles, I think, but bolter shells would be a little too hard to replicate with anything short of a wish.

Even with regular fantasy weapons, though, a Space Marine in his armor would be a formidable foe.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Apr 2005 18:11:32
Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  18:48:27  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does the Marine have a chainsword or even power fist (or whatever you call those)? Would be fun seeing it waving his chainsword around and ripping a poor sod to shreds...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  20:12:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does the Marine have a chainsword or even power fist (or whatever you call those)? Would be fun seeing it waving his chainsword around and ripping a poor sod to shreds...

Nope, just the standard-issue bolter. I wasn't looking for anything too nasty...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000