Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Portals and Celestial Stair cases of the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dargoth Posted - 10 Apr 2005 : 09:10:03
Can anyone add to this list of known Planar Portals and Celestial Stair cases in realms?

Mount Waterdeep: Celestial Stair case (preseumably still active)

Beneath Castle Dragonspear: A Gate to Fugues Plane (should only be usable by the dead)

Beaneath the Grandfather tree: Portal to the Abyss

Beneath the ruins of the Witchkings Castle in Vaasa: Portal to the Abyss

Near Church of Lathander in Shadowdale: Celestial Stair case (presumably still destroyed)

Stonelands: Celestial stair case (Presumably still destroyed)

Caverns beneath the Abbey of the Sword in Battledale: Portal to Sigil

Annouch Desert, Massive Cats Eye Portal: Portal to Outlands

House of the Moon in Waterdeep, Sojourners Portal: Portal to Selunes Homplane (requires Selunes permision for it to work)

Various Eldaths gates in different parts of the Realms: Lead to that goddess homeplane

Portals thanks to EricB

Banite Portal in the Burial Glen of Myth Drannor: Leads to the Nine Hells (Destroyed by the Knights of Myth Drannor)

Dragonspear Castle portal: Leads to Nine Hells (Does not seem to have been active since the Time of Troubles)

Verovans Horde portal, in the air off the Southern tower of Castle Vhammos in Westgate: Leads to an extra dimensional spaces, can only be reached with Thistle Thalavar

Anyone able to think of others Ive missed?

PS if this doesnt gets Sages attention then nothing will!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Seravin Posted - 22 Jul 2011 : 02:21:21
Haha yes, I love that source book. The cover is so whimsical with the Red Plume guard and the baguette. The Moonsea has a special place in my heart because I started the realms with the gold box SSI Pool of Radiance book and looking out on the docks next to a tavern at night into the Moonsea from Phlan at night was just so cool to me as a little kid.

I know of that gate mentioned in that book with the drow version of the sea elves (such a cool concept), but I also vaguely recall some novel or source book saying the source of the water in the Moonsea was a link to the Plane of Water itself. I just wasn't sure if it was one of the Pool of Radiance/Darkness/Twilight series or a proper 2nd/3rd edition book.

I love this website, you guys are all so full of realms lore!!
The Sage Posted - 22 Jul 2011 : 02:12:15
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I read someplace there was a portal to the elemental plane of water underneath the Moonsea. Not sure if it was ever confirmed tho!

It's likely you're recalling a reference from the 2e The Moonsea tome:-
quote:
Two magical gates are known to exist in Mareliar, the city of the evil elves. One gate leads to the Elemental Plane of Water, and the other leads to the Abyss-to the layer where Umberlee dwells.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Jul 2011 : 01:16:40
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I read someplace there was a portal to the elemental plane of water underneath the Moonsea. Not sure if it was ever confirmed tho!

It wouldn't surprise me. Portals to elemental planes often seem to occur near places where that element is overwhelmingly dominant -- like portals to the Elemental Plane of Fire in volcanos.
Seravin Posted - 22 Jul 2011 : 00:49:26
The Sage Posted - 21 Jul 2011 : 01:52:26
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Beneath the Greycloak Hills lies a portal to Ravenloft

To Ravenloft? Odd, always thought the mists took one there...what fool would want a portal to that place knowing they can't get back out?

I suppose that would depend on whether this particular "fool" actually possessed foreknowledge about where the portal led.

Interestingly, RAVENLOFT could -- with respect to the difficulties in outsider access -- be considered the perfect "escape" for nefarious nasties on the run from the law. Choosing between facing certain punishment in the Realms, or taking your chances in the Domains of Dread, might be a decision only a few characters would ever have to make.

It would be an interesting hook for an NPC, actually. Hmmm.
Razz Posted - 21 Jul 2011 : 00:50:33
quote:

Beneath the Greycloak Hills lies a portal to Ravenloft

To Ravenloft? Odd, always thought the mists took one there...what fool would want a portal to that place knowing they can't get back out?
Rhewtani Posted - 23 Mar 2011 : 20:19:30
Portal to the Elemental Plane of Fire in Myth Drannor, mentioned in Curse of the Azure Bonds.
althen artren Posted - 17 Mar 2011 : 03:30:38
In a chapel within a deep well (within a mile; my number) of the town center of Semberholme,
there is a portal to the Burial Glen of Myth Drannor on a stone wall (its intermitten) keyed to
a short elvish phrase, and another to the Cold Mountains Portal network keyed to a Rellama flower
and the phrase "nesyie Alleisendilie" to the Grand Mage tower Subt. levels in Myth Glaurach.
Barastir Posted - 15 Mar 2011 : 11:00:37
Oh, and there is a sort of time gate in Pirates of the Fallen Stars, in the island of Lurath... It takes you to an era of dinosaurs, cavemen and friendly elves.
Barastir Posted - 14 Mar 2011 : 11:48:01
There is a place called "Gate" in the 1e Savage Frontier, published again in the 2e The North:

"Gate

As its name suggests, the ruins of Gate hide a portal between planes. The underground gate takes the form of an immense black cube with a single door. Inside, a number of colored stone slabs are doorways to other planes, including teleporters to several Prime Material Plane worlds.

Gate is guarded by powerful bugbears in the service of the beholder Zythalarlr, who fancies itself as isthe keeper. Those who want access to Gate must first answer a riddle or be killed and eaten by both the bugbears and the beholder."

And there are time portals in the Realms, as cited in the Netheril boxed set:

"There are time gates on Faerûn, but their locations remain a mystery. Ancient texts of Mystryl’s faith talk of three gates that were created either through accident or great fortune. While the time gates don’t require the material components, they otherwise work exactly like the time conduit spell, permitting time travel to any point in Faerûn’s past. Discovering the location of even one of these portals is an adventure in itself; adventurers have looked so hard, for so long, and with nothing to show for it, that no one even tries anymore. The last recorded expedition is believed to have been in 404 DR.

Time Gates

The first passage that reveals a hint to a time gate’s location states that it '...lies hidden upon the back of the mountains, where the ice and rocks touch the summer sky of Amaunator’s belt.' This is actually a reference to an ancient constellation of Amaunator that appeared in the summer months over the Spine of the World. An adventuring party could still spend many months in the frozen wasteland of the Spine searching for the deep cave that holds the gate, however. The time gate also happens to be the home of an ancient white dragon (who’s greedy enough to allow adventurers to use the gate so long as they pay her something).

The second time gate is '...north of Novularond, shining bright upon Misken’s Peak at Highsummer.' While the Novularond range has been searched repeatedly, adventurers have failed to find the time gate because Misken’s Peak was sheared off by the Great Glacier many centuries ago. The magical portal still exists, but it’s buried beneath hundreds of feet of ice as it’s slowly carried along within the glacier.

The final gateway is listed as existing at '..Andrio’s Peak near the garden of Eldath.' A scribe actually misspelled the original place name, which was Andrus, and the garden is a hint to the city of Cedarsproke in the Gulthmere forest of the Vilhon Reach. The time gate has survived inside Mt. Andrus despite several volcanic eruptions, shielded from the intense heat by Mystryl’s magic."
Kuje Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 04:18:57
Well met again Sarelle. :)
Sarelle Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 03:33:54
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Sarelle... you're back?

I was just thinking of you the other day while looking over some older scrolls you'd contributed to. Welcome back!

quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

The second web enhacement for Underdark mentions a possible seeping portal to the Far Realm, in a kaorti cyst, if you are utilizing the Fiend Folio...
Available here:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20031024a

Aww! I'm remembered after all this time! That's highly touching.

I hope you're well, Sage Without any intention whatsoever of derailing an interesting a thread as this, I'm not "back" as such, but a reawakened interest in the Realms has me browsing these hallowed halls once more, collecting tidbits . I'm a busy person so the interest is unlikely to last, but for the moment it is a pleasure to see you again!
The Sage Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 01:32:01
Sarelle... you're back?

I was just thinking of you the other day while looking over some older scrolls you'd contributed to. Welcome back!

quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

The second web enhacement for Underdark mentions a possible seeping portal to the Far Realm, in a kaorti cyst, if you are utilizing the Fiend Folio...
Available here:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20031024a
Sarelle Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 00:21:38
sleyvas Posted - 27 Mar 2006 : 22:34:13
Closed now, but worth mentioning, is the orcgates through which the orcs which arrived and assaulted Mulhorand's deities.
scererar Posted - 25 Mar 2006 : 08:46:49
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

No offense meant, but your post seems to contradict itself. Not that hard to construct, but expensive and requires a fairly high level?

It's not really contradictory... You have to have the power, experience, and funding to build a portal -- but if you've got all those things, it's easy. A lot of highly specialized things are like that -- it may take a lot of time and effort to learn how to do something, putting it beyond the capabilities of the average Joe, but once you've got the training, the task itself is easy.

With that perspective, I concur I was trying to see it from the eyes of "the average joe", which would be the norm of any society
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Mar 2006 : 08:42:59
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

No offense meant, but your post seems to contradict itself. Not that hard to construct, but expensive and requires a fairly high level?

It's not really contradictory... You have to have the power, experience, and funding to build a portal -- but if you've got all those things, it's easy. A lot of highly specialized things are like that -- it may take a lot of time and effort to learn how to do something, putting it beyond the capabilities of the average Joe, but once you've got the training, the task itself is easy.
scererar Posted - 25 Mar 2006 : 04:24:32
quote:

Portals are not all that hard to construct. Expensive & requiring a fairly high level, yes, but Larloch has money and power and assistants enough that he should have portals to everywhere he wants by now--had he been making a concerted effort.

Undermountain is a little far from his base of opperations. There may be a decent chance that Larloch knows of the portals in Undermountain, but I don't know if they are of much use to him.

No offense meant, but your post seems to contradict itself. Not that hard to construct, but expensive and requires a fairly high level?. I know with 3E, that portals are the thing now, but in the realms and particularly, in "my" realms, this WOULD be difficult. I think a lot of us think in game terms, but looking at it from what a normal citizen of the realms would be like, a portal is a big deal( if even a common citizen would know of them, beyond rumor), as well as money, and as well as being a high level character/ figure in the realms.
Gray Richardson Posted - 24 Mar 2006 : 19:39:17
Portals are not all that hard to construct. Expensive & requiring a fairly high level, yes, but Larloch has money and power and assistants enough that he should have portals to everywhere he wants by now--had he been making a concerted effort.

Undermountain is a little far from his base of opperations. There may be a decent chance that Larloch knows of the portals in Undermountain, but I don't know if they are of much use to him.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Mar 2006 : 03:25:37
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Vengeance

quote:

Chapter 9 of the Great Modron March puts a bunch of planar portals in Undermountain. Halaster constructed a Piller of Gates in one of the deep sublevels of Undermountain. The pillar has 7 levels, each with a 2-way portal arch to a different plane: Acheron, Baator, Gehenna, Gray Waste, Carceri, the Abyss & Pandemonium. Although some of the portals may not be in working order.

Wouldn't this draw the attention of Larloch who was rumored to seek to build or get gateways that link to all the realms and planes?

Why would it get his attention? Unless Larloch had minions in Undermountain, he'd not learn of that end (and even if he did, it would be iffy, considering how big Undermountain is). And he'd not know of the other-planar end, either, unless someone stumbled across a portal and word got back to him. Even then, he might assume it was just a single portal. The planes are too big for any one person to know everything about them.
Sir Vengeance Posted - 24 Mar 2006 : 03:00:53
quote:

Chapter 9 of the Great Modron March puts a bunch of planar portals in Undermountain. Halaster constructed a Piller of Gates in one of the deep sublevels of Undermountain. The pillar has 7 levels, each with a 2-way portal arch to a different plane: Acheron, Baator, Gehenna, Gray Waste, Carceri, the Abyss & Pandemonium. Although some of the portals may not be in working order.

Wouldn't this draw the attention of Larloch who was rumored to seek to build or get gateways that link to all the realms and planes?
Gray Richardson Posted - 24 Mar 2006 : 00:44:13
Kuje Posted - 10 Jun 2005 : 06:00:59
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I call that plane the Rainbow Bright plane because of the bridge that goes through that plane. :)

Okay, that's just wrong. Bordering on sacrilege, even...

HEHEHE. Well that's what I reminded me of when I read the article all those months ago. :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Jun 2005 : 05:47:49
quote:

I call that plane the Rainbow Bright plane because of the bridge that goes through that plane. :)

Okay, that's just wrong. Bordering on sacrilege, even...
The Sage Posted - 10 Jun 2005 : 05:43:35
quote:

Since I use the 2e planes, then the Plane of Radiance is from Planescape's Inner Planes or the 1e material. 3/3.5e has done away with most of the elemental planes though. The reference in Realmspace is about the 1e and 2e elemental plane. :)
I've kept the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Radiance as it was in the 1e/2e material also, as you know.

In fact, the Kingdom of the Blind is now a major trading hub on the plane for the luractive trade in reflective crystals.
Alisttair Posted - 10 Jun 2005 : 04:18:41
Hmmm I guess I'll go ask Ed on his thread about the rainbows.

I don't like 1E or 2E other than the FR Lore. I like the new cosmology, but anyways that's off topic.
Kuje Posted - 10 Jun 2005 : 04:11:22
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair
Ok that's what I thought. Which source do you get the FR Plane of Radiance from?

I made a NWN area with a hak pak that I made the 3E Plane of Radiance. I didn't finish it though. It missed the nice rainbows though.

Speaking of which, do you know if there is any source info on rainbows of the realms anywhere? (did Ed speak of these?)

Since I use the 2e planes, then the Plane of Radiance is from Planescape's Inner Planes or the 1e material. 3/3.5e has done away with most of the elemental planes though. The reference in Realmspace is about the 1e and 2e elemental plane. :)

And I don't recall much, if any, info on rainbows. :)
The Sage Posted - 10 Jun 2005 : 04:06:56
quote:

Speaking of which, do you know if there is any source info on rainbows of the realms anywhere? (did Ed speak of these?)
I don't think he has.

It might be worth asking him over in his own scroll though...
The Sage Posted - 10 Jun 2005 : 04:05:15
quote:

quote:

Also the stars of Realmspace are portals to the Plane of Radiance, but not sure how this would be since Radiance has been written out in 3/3.5

There was a 3/3.5 writeup for the Plane of Radiance in one of the Dragon Magazines. I don't remember which one, my issue is at home and I am at work.

Dragon #321.
Alisttair Posted - 10 Jun 2005 : 04:02:07
quote:

quote:
There was a 3/3.5 writeup for the Plane of Radiance in one of the Dragon Magazines. I don't remember which one, my issue is at home and I am at work.

That was a different Plane of Radiance, since it's a transit plane instead of a elemental plane. There's other parts of the Dragon one that is different then the elemental one. :) Same name, different plane basically.

Ok that's what I thought. Which source do you get the FR Plane of Radiance from?

I made a NWN area with a hak pak that I made the 3E Plane of Radiance. I didn't finish it though. It missed the nice rainbows though.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000