Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Portals and Celestial Stair cases of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  09:10:03  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can anyone add to this list of known Planar Portals and Celestial Stair cases in realms?

Mount Waterdeep: Celestial Stair case (preseumably still active)

Beneath Castle Dragonspear: A Gate to Fugues Plane (should only be usable by the dead)

Beaneath the Grandfather tree: Portal to the Abyss

Beneath the ruins of the Witchkings Castle in Vaasa: Portal to the Abyss

Near Church of Lathander in Shadowdale: Celestial Stair case (presumably still destroyed)

Stonelands: Celestial stair case (Presumably still destroyed)

Caverns beneath the Abbey of the Sword in Battledale: Portal to Sigil

Annouch Desert, Massive Cats Eye Portal: Portal to Outlands

House of the Moon in Waterdeep, Sojourners Portal: Portal to Selunes Homplane (requires Selunes permision for it to work)

Various Eldaths gates in different parts of the Realms: Lead to that goddess homeplane

Portals thanks to EricB

Banite Portal in the Burial Glen of Myth Drannor: Leads to the Nine Hells (Destroyed by the Knights of Myth Drannor)

Dragonspear Castle portal: Leads to Nine Hells (Does not seem to have been active since the Time of Troubles)

Verovans Horde portal, in the air off the Southern tower of Castle Vhammos in Westgate: Leads to an extra dimensional spaces, can only be reached with Thistle Thalavar

Anyone able to think of others Ive missed?

PS if this doesnt gets Sages attention then nothing will!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 10 Apr 2005 12:17:31

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  09:50:18  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are/were more portal in the Hall of Mists.

Dragonspear Castle presumably has/had a portal to the Nine Hells as well.

There's a portal to the Nine Hells in Myth Drannor.

There's a portal to somewhere in Westgate (blanking) where the treasure was found in Masquerades.

I'm sure there are many more ... just blanking.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  10:00:55  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

There are/were more portal in the Hall of Mists.

Dragonspear Castle presumably has/had a portal to the Nine Hells as well.

There's a portal to the Nine Hells in Myth Drannor.

There's a portal to somewhere in Westgate (blanking) where the treasure was found in Masquerades.

I'm sure there are many more ... just blanking.

--Eric

Thanks Eric

Added Erics to the list

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 10 Apr 2005 12:18:14
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  15:04:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there another portal to the Fugue Plane under The Yawning Portal in Waterdeep?

And don't forget the portals in the various tombs in Waterdeep's City of the Dead...

Was there one in For Deity & Duty? I don't recall how the PCs are supposed to get to Graz'zt's realm...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Apr 2005 15:07:22
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  16:03:23  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Wasn't there another portal to the Fugue Plane under The Yawning Portal in Waterdeep?

And don't forget the portals in the various tombs in Waterdeep's City of the Dead...

Was there one in For Deity & Duty? I don't recall how the PCs are supposed to get to Graz'zt's realm...

Lol there are more bloody gates to the planes in Waterdeep than there are Levels of the Abyss!

The Heros use the portal in Selunes temple in Waterdeep in For Duty and Deity

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  16:50:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and what about the World Serpent Inn?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  17:26:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also the portal to Sigil in Faiths & Pantheons.

If we are going by 2e sources, the modrons can also access one of the layers of Undermountain. See the Great Modron March from Planescape. (I can look this up later but I got game to run in a half hr.)

Realmspace for Spelljammer says there's over 3,000 portals that come and go within FR's crystal sphere. So that would be FR's Prime in 3/3.5.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  02:43:25  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assume your refering to the Abbey of the Sword Portal to Sigil which Ive already got.

Wheres the World Serpent Inn found? Is it in Serpent Kingdoms or is it in one of Eds "Inns of Faerun" articles in Dragon magazine?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  03:17:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
Wheres the World Serpent Inn found? Is it in Serpent Kingdoms or is it in one of Eds "Inns of Faerun" articles in Dragon magazine?

Volo's Guide to Cormyr starting on page 69. The entry to it is via an inn in Arabel.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  03:20:31  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats not that Portal to Cyric realms mentioned in one of the Realms of X novels is it?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  03:58:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thats not that Portal to Cyric realms mentioned in one of the Realms of X novels is it?

Well, there's prolly a portal to Cyric's realm somewhere in the Inn...

The Inn is detailed somewhat in Volo's Guide to Cormyr, as SB mentioned (under the Wild Goose entry). It's also a major part of the adventures in Tales of the Outer Planes, a 1E supplement. Basically, the Inn is a demiplane unto itself, and it's full of portals elsewhere -- like a smaller, nicer version of Sigil. All sorts of critters and Powers hang out there.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Apr 2005 03:59:49
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  04:06:11  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Realmspace p. 52, above the solid core of the planet Coliar (2nd from Toril's sun) but deep within the atmospheric envelope of the great gas giant, floats a metal sphere that Elminster keeps as a hideout.

Within he has at least 4 portals, one to his bedroom in his castle, one to the island of Evermeet and 2 portals to the planet Earth. One portal leads to Wyoming's Yellow Stone Park in the year 1894 where El likes to recreate. The other leads to Ed Greenwood's personal library in the present.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  04:12:19  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Hall of Mists beneath Grandfather Tree according to Eric L. Boyd's wonderful Mintper's Chapbook chapter 9: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mc/mc20011031a

quote:
The left portal transports those passing through to the 248th level of the Abyss, a plane ruled by the demon lord Eltab, Lord of the Hidden Layer, who recently escaped imprisonment at the hand of the Red Wizards of Thay. The right portal transports gatewalkers to the 571st layer of the Abyss, a vast, dark ocean ruled by Dagon, Demon Lord of the Depths.

There was also a portal to the Negative Energy plane but it was destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  04:52:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also the stars of Realmspace are portals to the Plane of Radiance, but not sure how this would be since Radiance has been written out in 3/3.5

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  05:10:41  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The Inn is detailed somewhat in Volo's Guide to Cormyr, as SB mentioned (under the Wild Goose entry). It's also a major part of the adventures in Tales of the Outer Planes, a 1E supplement. Basically, the Inn is a demiplane unto itself, and it's full of portals elsewhere -- like a smaller, nicer version of Sigil. All sorts of critters and Powers hang out there.

hmm volos guide to Comyr seems to be one of those Realms books that escaped me.

So the Inns actually a Demi plane is it?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  05:22:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

hmm volos guide to Comyr seems to be one of those Realms books that escaped me.

So the Inns actually a Demi plane is it?

Yup. And not only does it have portals to other planes, it also skips around to those planes.

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  05:25:36  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there a staircase in Shadowdale????Above Elminsters Tower?????

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  05:27:01  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Might leave the Demi planes and TARDIS (Which is why didnt include Paul Kemps Fane) type planar stuff out.

Im specficly looking for places on Faerun where one can step through a Portal and end up on another plane

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  05:28:11  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

Wasn't there a staircase in Shadowdale????Above Elminsters Tower?????

Got that one already it was near the Church of Lathander and is presumably still destroyed

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  05:54:00  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beneath the Greycloak Hills lies a portal to Ravenloft
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  05:58:56  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a portal to the Fugue Plane under the Peaks of Flame in Chult sealed by a large iron door. It is said that Dendar will emerge through this gate at the end of time and if Ubtao fails to defeat Dendar, the Night Serpent will devour the universe.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  06:00:44  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a portal or portals to the Elemental Plane of Fire inside of Mount Hotenow, the volcano at the northern end of the Neverwinter Woods.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  06:06:43  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The aaracockra created a portal to the Elemental Plane of Air that hovers in the air near the Lost Peaks, not too far from Grandfather Tree. This is from the Perilous Gateway articles here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20020109a
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  06:11:43  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is this Thayan portal to the Abyss on the island of Alaor:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20030305a
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  06:15:57  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This Mulhorandi portal in the Raurin Desert leads to an unknown outer plane that is full of dust and has no living inhabitants:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20030312a

Possibly the quasielemental plane of dust (now considered perhaps just a region of the elemental plane of Earth) or perhaps Mithardir, or Set's realm in Heliopolis?
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  06:17:43  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This portal near Calimshan transports one to a demiplane called the Genasi Refuge: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20030319a
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  06:23:00  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is an Anauroch portal at Hlaungadath that opens to the Astral Plane: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030604a
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  06:25:47  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Mulhorandi city of Gheldaneth lies a portal to a demiplane in the Ethereal, which is used as a greenhouse for growing plants: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20031126a
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  06:28:14  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This portal in Archendale takes you to another world:http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20031105a
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  07:00:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

PS if this doesnt gets Sages attention then nothing will!

It did. Although, I notice my fellow planar scribes have already gone to great lengths to outline most of what I would have suggested.

Just one comment so far -

quote:
Beneath the Greycloak Hills lies a portal to Ravenloft
Depending on the edition of RL that you're using, if you intend to travel there, the portal only leads to the RL of 2e. In 3e, the RL end of this portal now comes from an entirely alternate Prime Material plane.

Everything else seems to check out, mostly.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Apr 2005 07:02:17
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  09:36:46  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect there might be a portal to the Abyss or the Hells in Hellgate Keep in the Nether Mountains, hidden in the keep itself.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000