Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Moonblades...Beating a deadhorse.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SirUrza Posted - 16 Mar 2005 : 07:36:08
So I'm trying to create a history of a moonblade for a little something I'm working on. The problem is, I've run into a speed bump, WHEN to start it.

I have 2 sources..

Evermeet (the novel)
Cormanthyr (http://myth-drannor.net/DlabraddathNet/z-Cormanthyr/Moonblades.htm)

I've basically search Cormanthyr (the supplement) and I can't seem to find any dates in it.

I was hoping for some help in understanding why Cormanthyr (the website) roughly -4500 while Evermeet dates it at -9000. What bit of information am I missing that makes -4500 better then -9000?

It's an important question because it reflects how many hands the moonblade my have passed, killed, or just stayed on the wall for.

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 19 Feb 2020 : 16:01:32
Master Barastir,

I greatly appreciate that! Thank you kindly!

I am sending you a PM now.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

cpthero2, I'm not SirUrrza, but I have compiled some material about moonblades and also made a PDF file for one of my PCs (and because of that, the info on it is hazy). I've also discussed moonblades with Mrs. Cunningham for years. The only point I have to stress here is that my material considers Elaine's moonblades concepts only, ignoring later - canon - material that disregarded or contradicted her ideas about the swords. If you - or anyone - have interest on it, send me a PM and I will remit it.

Barastir Posted - 19 Feb 2020 : 12:35:12
cpthero2, I'm not SirUrrza, but I have compiled some material about moonblades and also made a PDF file for one of my PCs (and because of that, the info on it is hazy). I've also discussed moonblades with Mrs. Cunningham for years. The only point I have to stress here is that my material considers Elaine's moonblades concepts only, ignoring later - canon - material that disregarded or contradicted her ideas about the swords. If you - or anyone - have interest on it, send me a PM and I will remit it.
cpthero2 Posted - 18 Feb 2020 : 03:19:01
Master SirUrza,

This is a great compilation of material for people who are interested in Moonblades as of 2020!

Though, as a Master of Realmslore, I am certain you are done with your work. Would you mind sharing your work?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

So I'm trying to create a history of a moonblade for a little something I'm working on. The problem is, I've run into a speed bump, WHEN to start it.

I have 2 sources..

Evermeet (the novel)
Cormanthyr (http://myth-drannor.net/DlabraddathNet/z-Cormanthyr/Moonblades.htm)

I've basically search Cormanthyr (the supplement) and I can't seem to find any dates in it.

I was hoping for some help in understanding why Cormanthyr (the website) roughly -4500 while Evermeet dates it at -9000. What bit of information am I missing that makes -4500 better then -9000?

It's an important question because it reflects how many hands the moonblade my have passed, killed, or just stayed on the wall for.

SirUrza Posted - 10 Apr 2005 : 04:51:15
HMPH, and here I thought someone had more to add. :)
Karesch Posted - 09 Apr 2005 : 01:18:19
LoL, figures it'd be something completely off anything my own mind came up with.
Thanks

Kar
SiriusBlack Posted - 09 Apr 2005 : 00:49:25
quote:
Originally posted by Karesch

Ok, I hate to sound the dunce, but, I can't figure it out, and I've tried looking at various abbreviations lists. What's an "NDA" ?

Kar

Non-Disclosure Agreement. Basically the legal document which keeps the authors on here from telling us everything about a future release.

Although some of the lousy *&&%$## would still keep quiet simply to torture us poor fans!
Karesch Posted - 09 Apr 2005 : 00:46:14
Ok, I hate to sound the dunce, but, I can't figure it out, and I've tried looking at various abbreviations lists. What's an "NDA" ?

Kar
SiriusBlack Posted - 01 Apr 2005 : 08:17:08
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
How about a everful quiver then? :)

I was wondering which scribe would bring up such an option.

Against NDAs...I wish I could create such an item.
Kuje Posted - 01 Apr 2005 : 07:52:34
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

I'd settle for a quiver full of arrows of NDA slaying.

But then so few arrows and so many NDAs...

How about a everful quiver then? :)
SiriusBlack Posted - 01 Apr 2005 : 05:29:51
quote:

But then so few arrows and so many NDAs...
Melfius Posted - 01 Apr 2005 : 04:46:38
SirUrza Posted - 31 Mar 2005 : 19:59:32
There's 1 more ability to add to the chart then. ;)
SiriusBlack Posted - 30 Mar 2005 : 18:42:46
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Khorne, I gotta say, I like your sig.

Yeah, why isn't there a moonblade that deals damage to NDAs?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Mar 2005 : 18:18:41
Khorne, I gotta say, I like your sig.
SiriusBlack Posted - 30 Mar 2005 : 16:12:15
quote:
Originally posted by khorne
By the way, where can I find information about his daughter? I know nothing about what happened to her except what is written in cunninghams books.

There is no information source on Elaith's daughter save for Elaine's short story and the brief information posted here. And if I recall right from the FAQ on Elaine Cunningham's web site, no further stories will be coming any time soon about this Etriel.
khorne Posted - 30 Mar 2005 : 15:25:42
quote:

quote:
I love a bad guy who has style.

Elaith's not bad. He's just misunderstood.

Most definitely misunderstood. By the way, where can I find information about his daughter? I know nothing about what happened to her except what is written in cunninghams books.
SiriusBlack Posted - 20 Mar 2005 : 18:01:29
quote:
I love a bad guy who has style.

Elaith's not bad. He's just misunderstood.
The Sage Posted - 20 Mar 2005 : 15:59:14
It will be nice.

No matter how many times I read about "the Serpent", I never tire of his involvement in situations that seem dull until he appears.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Mar 2005 : 06:28:30
I am quite looking forward to seeing Elaith in action again. He's one of the coolest characters around. I love a bad guy who has style.
SirUrza Posted - 20 Mar 2005 : 02:05:39
*sniffles* But no Arilyn.. or that guy that tags along with her.
SiriusBlack Posted - 20 Mar 2005 : 01:29:56
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Elaith worship? SB, you MUST NOT MISS Ed & Elaine's Waterdeep novel. He's by no means a major character, but . . .

Oh, I've already bent the keypad of Mrs. Cunningham to discover that Elaith is featured in parts of the novel. I one time made the mistake of calling his part in the novel, a minor character role. EC reminded me that's not exactly the wisest thing to call someone with the nickname "The Serpent."
The Hooded One Posted - 19 Mar 2005 : 21:58:25
Elaith worship? SB, you MUST NOT MISS Ed & Elaine's Waterdeep novel. He's by no means a major character, but . . .
SiriusBlack Posted - 18 Mar 2005 : 06:38:05
quote:
What?!? You, make a facetious comment! Never!

It's not my fault. When certain events occur that just seem illogical, you get threads created such as this one. Which, by the way Sir Urza, if you haven't already found it, that thread is another one where Elaine Cunningham offers some comments on moonblades.

SB
SirUrza Posted - 18 Mar 2005 : 06:21:14
Hehe one of the things I did was create my own set of rules for moonblade generation. No secret I hate the laziness of the Magic of Faerun ones.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Mar 2005 : 05:37:01
quote:

I believe I made a somewhat facetious post (Yeah, I know go figure)

What?!? You, make a facetious comment! Never!

Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Mar 2005 : 05:35:49
quote:

While it looks good on paper, in actuality, it was A BAD IDEA.

Those words apply to so much in life...
SiriusBlack Posted - 18 Mar 2005 : 03:57:53
Melfius,

Look at it this way, you and your player were ahead of your time.

Before I left the WOTC boards, it seemed every second poster had a character who wielded a moonblade. It got so bad, I believe I made a somewhat facetious post (Yeah, I know go figure) that had a Realms citizen showing off various artifacts including a moonblade with a ho hum attitude.
Melfius Posted - 18 Mar 2005 : 03:28:24
Once upon a time I made the choice of granting a moonblade to a player. This was back in 2nd Ed, when the rules were printed in Elves of Evermeet. I still shudder when I look at them, they were terrible!

I had read the books avalable on moonblades, and came to the (apparently correct) conclusion that a moonblade would have a set of powers fitting for the type of people who previously wielded them. Much like how Arilyn's moonblade is fitting for a loner-adventurer type.

So, over a weekend filled with much caffene, I concocted a moonblade that fit the personality and abilities of the PC.

Boy, did I screw up.

He became, instantly, way too powerful for the adventure and eventually ended up wrecking a very intricate plotline. And I learned a very important lesson: While it looks good on paper, in actuality, it was A BAD IDEA.

Needless to say, once I fully realized my error, said moonblade met a most unfortunate end.

This simply reinforces the lesson that authors are not supposed to read the rulebooks. It is much easier to keep control of a powerful item when you control all the people involved with it. It is impossible when you control only half of them.
SiriusBlack Posted - 18 Mar 2005 : 03:26:34
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Good info SB.

Good author who I am really going to miss obtaining information from.

SB who will be lost now when his dark elven priest of Corellon has to decide which powers to give his two vorpal moonblades.
SirUrza Posted - 18 Mar 2005 : 01:39:17
Good info SB.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000