Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mightiest Beings

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jaciris Posted - 30 Oct 2004 : 16:47:48
I'm trying to compile the Mightiest Beings in the World of Faerun

So far I have Asmodeus, Elminster, Khelben Blackstaff, Halaster

does Sarevok & Abdel count because they are Bhaalspawn......

Is Demogorgoth powerful.....because in the game BG:Throne of Bhaal he was.....

I need to know this

especially who the most powerful Dragon is
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dennis Posted - 17 Aug 2010 : 10:02:31

Oh, I almost forgot: Riven's dogs, for being able to "tame an assassin's heart."

Dennis Posted - 17 Aug 2010 : 09:59:19

Larloch, for all his clandestine grand designs that Faerun's powerful can only guess and never discover; and for his sheer might.

Telamont, for being able to shackle Mephistopheles, for resurrecting the fallen Netheril and for continuously spreading havoc in the Realms both directly and indirectly.

Amraz one arm Posted - 16 Aug 2010 : 15:28:52
Grandfather Tree, in het High Forest.

Actually it would love to see that tree
creyzi4zb12 Posted - 16 Aug 2010 : 07:32:42
Oh yeah, we totally forgot about the Srinshee...Totally one of the most powerful elves out there.
althen artren Posted - 16 Aug 2010 : 04:16:40
Casts Resurrect Scroll:

Given what Ed has said about the general levels of the Srinshee, its
interesting to look back on this scroll and see how wrong everybody
was.
creyzi4zb12 Posted - 15 Aug 2010 : 16:44:51
Wow, so many cool stuff here
Mareka Posted - 02 Apr 2005 : 20:56:30
A novel about Halaster's life thus far might be interesting, especially if used to showcase some of the ancient civilizations and events of Faerun's past.
khorne Posted - 02 Apr 2005 : 19:35:41
A novel about Halaster? YES, YES, YES!!!!!!! That would be fantastic.
Alaundo Posted - 01 Apr 2005 : 08:41:18
quote:
Originally posted by rugerx

Hi all first time poster...

I would say the simple answer is the unnamed entity that AO speaks to at the end of Waterdeep... Anyone AO would bow to has to be one bad mutha!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Long time FR book collector. (100+ paperbacks and still buying! I will own the entire collection one day!)

Well met

Welcome to Candlekeep

This has been discussed previously, try a search on Ao for starters. In addition, this is answered in the Official FR FAQ here at Candlekeep. (specifically the question is here)
rugerx Posted - 31 Mar 2005 : 16:43:47
Hi all first time poster...

I would say the simple answer is the unnamed entity that AO speaks to at the end of Waterdeep... Anyone AO would bow to has to be one bad mutha!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Long time FR book collector. (100+ paperbacks and still buying! I will own the entire collection one day!)
SiriusBlack Posted - 29 Mar 2005 : 16:22:31
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Now if Halaster (with his newfound sanity and favour of Mystra) wanted to branch out and check out the Realms, THAT would interest me...
Now where would the fun be in THAT!

I can see the upcoming tome:

Halaster's Guide to Faerun
The Sage Posted - 29 Mar 2005 : 14:26:51
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Now if Halaster (with his newfound sanity and favour of Mystra) wanted to branch out and check out the Realms, THAT would interest me...
Now where would the fun be in THAT!

George Krashos Posted - 29 Mar 2005 : 07:20:39
Given the very restricted geographical focus such a novel would have, I'm not sure it's a "must". Now if Halaster (with his newfound sanity and favour of Mystra) wanted to branch out and check out the Realms, THAT would interest me - as long as it didn't involve him destroying great swathes of territory/cities and/or upending the Realms in any significant way.

-- George Krashos
SiriusBlack Posted - 29 Mar 2005 : 02:42:03
quote:
Originally posted by barry

All this talk and interest in Halaster blackcoak should serve as enough proof that the forgotten realms readers want a halaster blackcloak nove l. i believe so
what you think?
Ye or nay

Nay, he's just not that interesting to me. I love Undermountain, but a whole novel devoted to Halaster? Pass.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Mar 2005 : 23:47:23
quote:
Originally posted by barry

All this talk and interest in Halaster blackcoak should serve as enough proof that the forgotten realms readers want a halaster blackcloak nove l. i believe so
what you think?
Ye or nay

Indeed, it is something many of us want. Sadly, Wizards of the Coast isn't well-known for listening to what fans want.
barry Posted - 28 Mar 2005 : 20:37:50
what you think?
Ye or nay

Solomon Posted - 28 Mar 2005 : 12:08:05
What an incredibly informative discussion. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge (which, I must say, is very impressive) - the sections on Halaster, Asmodeus, the Chosen, Mystra and the Bhaalspawn were particularly of interest to me.

Though I consider the original question to have been answered in detail, my list of the most powerful beings in the Forgotten Realms would include:

- The Chosen of Mystra (for the near limitless powers, liberties and capabilities that Ed gives them)
- Halaster Blackcloak (I would have included him anyway, but the recent events detailed in Elminster in Hell mean that he is perhaps more powerful than ever)
- Szass Tam (for his position of power, his schemes and the immense influence he wields)
- Manshoon (Personally I put Manshoon ahead of Fzoul, as I think he's a greater, more threatening villain)
- Fzoul (If I'm going to include Manshoon, I suppose I'd better include Fzoul)
- Shurrupak (As far as I know, I cannot bring to mind any greater warrior currently active in the Realms, and with Gilgeam dead, he's more dangerous than ever)

Personally, I'd prefer not to include deities, quasi-deitys and the various devil and demon princes, celestial paragons and similar entities. Although they do of course extend their influence onto the Prime Material plane, I do not feel that they can be counted among this list. Really, they're in their own category altogether.
George Krashos Posted - 11 Mar 2005 : 04:34:03
One mirror of opposition on the way, Wooly!

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Mar 2005 : 03:56:13
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Well, most of us...

There are some... looks in the direction of the Furry Hamster ...who exist to plague Big Al with antics that would make even a kender cry in frustration .

Really? I should love to meet someone like that!
The Sage Posted - 11 Mar 2005 : 01:23:37
Well, most of us...

There are some... looks in the direction of the Furry Hamster ...who exist to plague Big Al with antics that would make even a kender cry in frustration .

Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Mar 2005 : 22:48:01
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Thank you very much, Wooly!!! You really give me some great infos to work on, and I´m very happy. Now, with the "recent return to undermountain" in the WoTC website, and my Lost Empires coming (good source of info about Imaskar), I think that I will do a very good job in my campaign.

Again, thank you, noble scribe and Master of Lore!

Hey, sharing lore is why we're here!
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 10 Mar 2005 : 12:26:05
Thank you very much, Wooly!!! You really give me some great infos to work on, and I´m very happy. Now, with the "recent return to undermountain" in the WoTC website, and my Lost Empires coming (good source of info about Imaskar), I think that I will do a very good job in my campaign.

Again, thank you, noble scribe and Master of Lore!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Mar 2005 : 00:17:50
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Thanks, Wooly! I didn't want to have to post that reply myself!

Not a problem! Keeping all this stuff in various files makes it a lot easier.
Melfius Posted - 10 Mar 2005 : 00:01:22
Thanks, Wooly! I didn't want to have to post that reply myself!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Mar 2005 : 22:58:45
quote:

I´ll prepare this changes in my campaign, so... if anyone here can help with more tips and clues, I´ll be very glad!!!

Well, I can offer Ed's replies to other questions about Halaster...

quote:
I envision Halaster as knowing the rules of many Faerunian games (see my comments earlier in this thread for rules of some games played in the Realms), but having no interest whatsoever in dice, card, and other ‘primarily gambling’ sorts of games. I see him as being fairly good at, but essentially bored by, strategy board games (chess, et al). The reason for this is that his primary fascination and delight lies in judging character and successfully figuring out how to manipulate and ‘out-think’ opponents (for which read: any creature he wants to manipulate). Yes, ‘brute blasting spells’ can engender fear, and fear can move many an adventurer in Undermountain (greed and overconfident pride moves many of the rest), but over the years Halaster became used to matching wits with rulers who commanded many resources (including capable agents) and mages and sorcerers who had great personal mental strength -- and such struggles are what interest him most. As strategy board games don’t allow for manipulation of the minds of individual playing-pieces, and the games themselves are abstract struggles that have no lasting effect in the real-life Realms, Halaster sees them as time-wasters -- and he values even his idle moments as time too valuable to waste.

Questions:
1. What is the name of the seventh apprentice? Was it Ezzat as detailed in the Ruins of Undermountain II? Or is Nandel Greenward? Hmmm. That makes eight. I hate mysteries.

2. Do any of the aforementioned apprentices have last names?

3. Has there been documented anywhere any descendants of any apprentices?

4. Did Halaster begin holding the MageFairs on his own, or was he working with a group?

5. At what point did Halaster decide to change his name from Hilather?

6. Where/When was Halaster born?

7. What changes have been made to Halaster since Elminster in Hell? (i.e. Is he sane now?)

8. When Halster claimed to have been touched by Shar, does this mean he has access to the Shadow Weave?

9. Are there any anecdotes about any of your gaming groups’ encounters with Halaster?

10. Where/When did Halaster begin training his apprentices?

11. Who trained Halaster?

12. What would Halaster’s alignment have been a)when he began training his apprentices b)when he created Halaster’s Hold?

Answers:
1. [NDA]
2. Yes, but they’ve not been remembered by, or are not known to, our Realms sources consulted thus far. Perhaps they’ll be revealed in the fullness of [NDA]
3. No. However, that doesn’t mean no offspring exist. In fact, [NDA]
4. Halaster thought he was establishing MageFairs on his own, but in fact more than one deity of magic was whispering subtle suggestions in more than one mortal ear to bring it about. Otherwise, given the paranoid nature of most mages, it’s likely the MageFairs would never have been more than Halaster waiting in some tranquil, remote locale for one or two mages to show up (and the Fairs would have ended the moment one arriving mage attacked, or was attacked by, another). As for who these deities and other mortals were, specifically, I’d have to [NDA]
5. [NDA]
6. A long time ago, specifically [NDA] in [NDA]
7. Like any long-lived mage, Halaster isn’t what most other mortals would call ‘normal,’ and never will be. However, Mystra did some major mental healing (that also involved binding Halaster more closely to her service), ‘offstage’ in the latter part of ELMINSTER IN HELL and thereafter. Halaster did NOT become a Chosen, but reached a ‘separate peace’ with her in return for serving her as an agent (in the events recounted in ELMINSTER IN HELL). He still has his ‘raving times,’ but they’re fewer, shorter, and less severe than before (i.e. he’s far more in touch with reality, and more cunning and less reckless whilst in the throes of them); most of the time he’s in complete control of himself - - and this is no longer governed by his location (in Undermountain or outside of it). That doesn’t mean he’s a ‘happy camper.’ For one thing, he’s both enraged and ashamed at how many years he’s wasted ‘drifting’ in sub-sanity, and is just climbing out of considering himself an utter failure and a rot-fungus on the face of Faerun and into deciding what he’ll devote the rest of his life to. Consider him a magical whirlwind that’s stopped spinning and is poised to decide what to do next. Tremble, Faerun, tremble.
8. Halaster HAD access to the Shadow Weave; much of his madness was due to Shar’s whisperings (attempts to mind-control him), which is specifically what he meant by her ‘touch.’ Shar’s influence gave him access to the Shadow Weave, but Halaster’s aged, busy, brilliantly-magic-creative mind couldn’t simultaneously handle mastery of both Weave and Shadow Weave, and so he was losing his sanity (and only thereby keeping Shar at bay: she couldn’t control a mind in such internal chaos). Mystra in effect thrust Shar out (in any contest of pure magic and of mortal mastery of magic, in which Mystra and Shar can exert equal forces against each other, Mystra will always win, because she IS magic, and has supremacy) of Halaster’s mind, banishing all traces of the Shadow Weave forever. What she left behind makes Halaster one of the few mortals whom Shar can never subvert, now. She can break his mind and his body, but not corrupt and come to control him. (In other words, he’s equal to a Chosen of Mystra in this regard. The Chosen who’ve failed Mystra in the past have lost their sanity and ‘fallen away from her love,’ and so become corruptible.)
9. Yes. :}
:}
:}

Chosen of Moradin Posted - 09 Mar 2005 : 12:07:36
Well met and thanks, Wooly! A great Loremaster you are! Thine presence help to enlight the desks of many DM´s across all Toril.. er... Earth!

Good info... good info, indeed...
I was thinking, then... I´m not quite right, but I think that the insanity of Hal was what made him stay isolated, apart of humankind...
Now, a sane Halaster... I think that deals with Khelben and Laeral (and a share of magical knowledge will be a great bless to them), and more aparitions of the old one in Waterdeep and the Sword Coast will happen... and this is very good, because Hal is one of the few persons that have the guts and the firepower to look to the shade princes and say "not here, novices!"
I´ll prepare this changes in my campaign, so... if anyone here can help with more tips and clues, I´ll be very glad!!!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Mar 2005 : 23:04:52
Welcome to Candlekeep, Chosen of Moradin!

About Halaster, Ed last year offered up this info:

quote:
1. Halaster has been around for a LONG time, and for almost all of that time he’s been an enigma. Steven Schend and I pretty well agreed that he was only insane as long as he was in Undermountain, and it seems that ‘the new’ Mystra has freed him from the worst magical effects of its thrall, returning him to sanity. She did NOT make him a Chosen, but instead made a ‘separate peace’ with him, giving him the status of a free-willed agent (from time to time she’ll ask him to do something for her, with new spells or augmented powers as his reward or price, but she will do absolutely nothing to coerce him into service, nor look upon him unfavorably if he refuses).
Whether he’ll become a threat to the wider Realms, or a ‘good guy,’ depends on him. Right at the moment, I personally have no plans for a Halaster novel, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the good folks at WotC are pondering this topic for some scribe’s pen. He is a perfect main character for a pull-out-the-stops spellhurling novel, after all. :}
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 08 Mar 2005 : 14:29:18
Well met, great Sage! I´m just finding my chair and taking my part in this great Council of the Realms!
Really, my first option to my nick was Hammer of Moradin, but this nick is already being used, so I turn to my second nick... to great pleasure of the Mighty Soulforger.

Talking about Halaster, I have used him ever in background plots, and his insanity has place him in a role like a deturped Sgt Riggs (Lethal Weapon Movies) with more than 2000 years os knowledge and power. Now that I read the novel El in Hell, I´m really wondering in possible changes with Hal, Undermountain and, of course, Skullport and Waterdeep. Ed has give some clue about his ideas in what will happen with Hal? I have a 6 years old campaign in the City of Splendors (I´m the DM - well, I´m the DM of my group since 1992, when I know RPG and the Realms), and I think that campaign (and the whole city) will be very shaken after this novel, and his repercussions...
Alaundo Posted - 08 Mar 2005 : 13:29:53
quote:

This is my first post to that amazing forum, and I want to apologize for my english. I´m a brazilian fan of the Realms, and I have a great practice in reading, but I´m not so good in writing...

Well met and welcome to Candlekeep, Chosen of Moradin. Oh thine English is just fine, worry not

Yet another follower of Moradin eh? hammer of Moradin will be happy indeed
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 08 Mar 2005 : 12:41:52
To me, Halaster fill this role. I always like of Halaster, and no as a villain, and more as a inprevisible madman. And this put me to wonder, now that I finished Elminster in Hell: What will happen with Hal, now? Is he free of his madness? Is he able to use the Weaven AND the Shadow Weave? What implications this will bring to the Realms, in short and long term? If someone help me in this question, I will be glad.

This is my first post to that amazing forum, and I want to apologize for my english. I´m a brazilian fan of the Realms, and I have a great practice in reading, but I´m not so good in writing...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000