Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 The Return of Shade Enclave

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arion Elenim Posted - 14 Sep 2002 : 15:57:56
I'm taking bets...

How do all of you believe that the return of the Archwizards/Anauroch/Netheril/Shade Enclave story is going to wrap up...

I think that Netheril will return (perhaps called New Netheril or something to that effect) after the Realms folk (Harpers, Moonstars, Silverymoon, Waterdeep, etc.) along with Shade Enclave finally kick out the phaerimm....this will be due to Shade Enclave's attempts to flood the desert coming to fruition and revealing/resurrecting the huge cache of magical items under the sand revealed in Realms of Shadow....

Then we get to deal with a newly-placed Shade-Prince emperor of New Netheril (or whatever they will call it), whose contributions to the Weave will be wondrous (and we'll probably see a few new wizard Prestige Classes as a result), but the Enclave will most likely not be content to simply take over the desert...At that point, the storm will peak and we'll have to endure a second war (the first being with the Phaerimm) to contain the new kingdom and its mighty, mysterious magics...

Sigh...but that's just me...
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KnightErrantJR Posted - 24 Dec 2005 : 19:22:46
Mirtul 27th, 1372 DR, according to the Player's Guide to Faerun
qstor Posted - 24 Dec 2005 : 18:32:47
Anyone know of the date on the Realms calender for the disappearance of Tilverton?

Mike
Ordin_Solandar Posted - 09 Dec 2005 : 18:29:07
Corrispondence between Wizard Annar of Tethyir and Cowled Wizard Ordin "the disgruntled" Solandar

Let the Shadovar be for they and their petty magiks are of a lesser concern. Tis true that they seem of an evil bent but that is not unexpected as they serve Shar above all other dieties. However at this time they seem pre-occupied with Arunoch and as long as their intrest remains affixed on that wasteland then let us pay no heed.

To wage open war with Shade is to rend the very fabric of Toril assunder. When the weaves clash no one is safe, better to appease them now untill the realms proper regain their former strength. Is it not true that your own nation of Amn is constantly loseing territory to a monstrous incursion on your eastern boarder. Should not the efforts of ye cowled wizards be focused on repulsing your enemy and rebuilding Amn's glory? Not as well the humbling of many of the great nations along your northern boarder. Is it not so that Waterdeep is still but a shadow of its former glory, isn't Cormanthyr fraying along its edges under steady Zhentil militirsm!

Nay my good sir we shouldn't be worried about the shadovar, leave them to their own petty devices. If the great nations of the north were to fall it would be an unparrelled tradgedy and all who come after us would rue the day that we paid more attention to shade then to our own problems!

Regards
Annar

Apon recieving your message I found myself none to pleased with your churlishness and overal lack of true understanding regarding the imanent danger of the Shadovar. It is not enough that we mearly let the reminents of Netherthil (the corrupt, and corpulent) bide their time to rebuild in this time of international upheval. For they are not trustworthy and work constantly to destablize the established powers across the continent not just those countries who's territories border there own.

It is true that Amn is having a great deal of difficulty with a self styled empire of monstrous beings along our eastern borders but this has been the case for more years then I have worn a grey cloak. We have overtaxed ourselves spreading our resources to thin. Yet even now the beuracracy works to rein in the lavish expenditures of operating colonies in Meztica and it is our hope that these outposts of Amnish influence will soon turn a mighty profit. Eventually these new Amnish territories will provide the materials and the manpower to repell any incursion into our lands.

However my thoughts are drawn away from the true issue of this letter. You are right that we should leave Shade alone for the time being as we do not have magiks capable of openly engageing their perverted weave without sundering the world itself and plunging all into the Abyss. Fear not though for even know clever artifacers of mystra's magik are at work creating new spells and dwemors which shalt not cause such havok apon the lands when mages fling spells apon one another.

For the shades are not so powerfull nor so numerous that they could reckon with the sheer power of established magery if we but put our minds to the problem. It seems to me that we must put more time into studying the wild magiks and also focus more on energies derived from both the positive and negative plains of energy. As both have had a history of effectivness against Shar's weave weilders. After all did not Venglerdahast of the war wizards not fabricate a sun of magical luminessence to combat an army of shadovar at Tiverton with astounding success.

Nay imbessil Annar you do not truly fathom the problems that the shade enclave represents nor have you applied yourself thoroughly enough as to how to counter the shadow magiks. Pray you think more on the subject before writeing me again bumbler of Tethyir!

regards
Ordin Solandar (Cowled Wizard)
Darkheyr Posted - 28 Nov 2005 : 15:11:13
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Shade does not have the military might to conquer Faerun, but perhaps by removing important leaders in places they want to acquire by replacing them with puppet leaders, Shade will have a way to acquire what they want.

Of course, all the other evil power groups are doing the exact same thing...

Food for Thought: In 50 years, the Council of Peers consists of three shadovar, two thayvian agents and four members of the Zhentarim.

Now, that would be some picture if someone tried a coup...
jean-loup Posted - 25 Nov 2005 : 18:05:47
[quote]Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

I dont know the extent of their "eyes and ears" but many organizations have eyes and ears and it would not be extremely difficult to identify actions of the Shadow enclave in the affairs of Faerun (note how I distinguish between shade and Faerun).
The shade have many ambassadors in many countrys for exemple a shade mage live in Maerimydra just to observe (after that's depend if you have play "the city of spider queen")you have another shade for in the order of the Dark Moon (monk-sorcerer of Shar) I don't know if they really conquest all Faerun but one thing is sure they are powerfull and they have many ennemies and haven't so allies (the cult of shar and the patriarch of the Anauroch)
jean-loup Posted - 25 Nov 2005 : 17:49:42
quote:
Originally posted by Ordin_Solandar

In relation to a previous topic, the Shadovar draw there mystical energies from an ulternate weave then arcane spell casters. So there pressence in the realms does bosh for Mystra, in fact it may detract from her power. After all there are no wild shadow magic zones, nor dead shadow magic zones!

that's true for the moment,you can see Champions of Valor for detail a spell who affect directly the shadow weave (beware Shar !!!)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Oct 2005 : 18:03:18
quote:

Shade does not have the military might to conquer Faerun, but perhaps by removing important leaders in places they want to acquire by replacing them with puppet leaders, Shade will have a way to acquire what they want.

Of course, all the other evil power groups are doing the exact same thing...
Shadovar Posted - 07 Oct 2005 : 11:57:06
Hmm, Shade Enclave not neccessarily always sends its agents to spy, they tend to get the services of other non-shadovar folk to spy for them, I heard that there is a rogue working for the Shadovar in Silverymoon, spying on important developments in the city and passing it on a Shadovar trooper or emissary who regularly visits her with money and gifts in exchange for the information.
Also, Shade is very subtle in its actions, I think even the most minor acquisition and most minor work would be layered upon layer of secrecy, Shade is likely to go to the extreme to ensure utmost secrecy for their work. Shade is currently no doubt catching up on history and seeking to make alliance with any organisation that can benefit them, so it would be very hard to spy on Shade unless there is a shade spy working against Shade.
Given that Shade Enclave mythallar is damaged and the fact that Telamont lost some of his sons thanks to his mistakes or their mistakes. Still, Telamont is never a shade to be underestimated. Currently, I suspect that Shade Enclave could not mobilize that large army needed to conquer Faerun unlike the Zhents who can swell their ranks with mercenaries, Shade soldiers are too well specialized and well trained, not to mention combat experience in the Plane of Shadow but 3000(estimated number of Shade military strength) is not enough simply for Shade Enclave. So, Telamont is more likely to use Shade soldiers for assassin and stealth missions. Shade does not have the military might to conquer Faerun, but perhaps by removing important leaders in places they want to acquire by replacing them with puppet leaders, Shade will have a way to acquire what they want.
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 07 Oct 2005 : 04:24:43
Shadovar states
"Shade Enclave would be ready for any uprising against them, their eyes and ears are almost everywhere. Going up against Shade without magical support or in full force will result in retaliation by Shade a thousandfold. Furthermore, Telamont Tanthul is a cunning and tactical leader, he has ways of making people see in the direction he want them to see while ensuring that they miss the incoming death blow. To fight them need subtlety and stealth, since they are so confident of their shadow magic, then fight them and best them with their own shadow magic, thats my suggestion."

I dont know the extent of their "eyes and ears" but many organizations have eyes and ears and it would not be extremely difficult to identify actions of the Shadow enclave in the affairs of Faerun (note how I distinguish between shade and Faerun). I suggested not using magic directly against the Shades but that does not mean magic should not be used to counter them. We still can divine their intents and strengths and weaknesses and we can haste our response with magic of teleportation and celerity. We can do many things to retain an edge in a battle but we may not use most spell protections and offensive spells against them. For this, I stated, we must use force... whether this force came in the form of a flying army or a thousand treacherous daggers in the back. I have tried to further explain my previous plans here but again I disclaim my true ability to command any action from sages. Since I am not a military strategist or leader in the coming conflicts and nor are any sages here, our presence as sages should be to give information to those who would use it wisely, and to collect information on what is occuring and what has occured concerning this event. Only through knowledge is there hope!
Now I have already risked sounding like a doom-sayer rather than a careful and thoughtful sage in training and I shall withhold my voice until I have something new to bring to our attention.
Please sages, continue...
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 07 Oct 2005 : 01:44:40
Heck, Manshoon, Fzoul.... The Red Wizards, the Fey'ri. It is definitely not the same Faerun that the Shades left 1700 years ago. They will have a lot more enemies, and most of them a lot more powerful than they expect. They were too worried about the forces of "good." They should be a lot more worried about the forces of evil.

C-Fb
Shadovar Posted - 07 Oct 2005 : 01:28:08
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

this is one of the most dire catastrophes of our time. The return of the shades must be stopped. they must be destroyed once and for all. This is because their magic is inherently evil, reacts with weave magic (it could bring the abyss to Toril!!). The Folly of Netheril almost destroyed the weave once... it cannot be allowed to continue to do so in the future.
which spurs my thesis:

Nul-arcana Involvutum Netheril

The shades will utterly destroy the realms of the phaerim.
This includes lands once occupied by Thaeravel, a once mighty wizard empire that is one of the places from which the Netherese stole their understanding of magic. The sages of candlekeep need to understand this land in order to understand netheril and how that land came to power and threaten the rest of Faerun.
This includes lands once called Issostofil (sp? im horribly wrong here). The capital, Oreme, is inhabited by 60 lich kings who would oppose the shades uncovering of their lands. These liches woudl spellbattle the shades and could possibly defeat teh city but at what cost to Faerun. The answer here... in preservation of Toril is to refrain from magical combat with the shades.

It is not my place or power of mind to declare how to counter the rise of the shades. However I can suggest that a unilateral front be raised against them in arms and manpower. This would be the test of Faerun, to see if we can finally beat magic without magic. To fight fire with fist and to make up for the mistakes of thousands of years. We humans did not oppose the Netherese (who stole magic and used it improperly, who enslaved races and now threaten the stability of our land) in its infancy. We sons of Anauroch failed to correct out ways. We elves hesistated for millenia before trying to right the mistake of our teachings. We of the ancient lands did not fulfill our duty to protect our knowledge from those who would use it wrongly. It is therefore our responsibility and our duty to combat the Shades, the Dark Netherese, now and even at the cost of our lives... for the lives of our descendants and the childer of theirs.

It is grave indeed that the Arcanist Lords of today, the Chosen, Khelben BlackStaff Arunsun and Elminster himself (blessed be these to Mystra) have not been able to counter or foresee this catastrophe and prepare for it. I particularly wonder how the powers of cruel forces are responding. Would lord Manshoon be pleased or distressed? Would the Warlock support the Shades? These once long enemies may be our allies in the years and perhaps decades to come as we of all beliefs and conciences react to the Universal threat of the Shadow Mages.

Shade Enclave would be ready for any uprising against them, their eyes and ears are almost everywhere. Going up against Shade without magical support or in full force will result in retaliation by Shade a thousandfold. Furthermore, Telamont Tanthul is a cunning and tactical leader, he has ways of making people see in the direction he want them to see while ensuring that they miss the incoming death blow. To fight them need subtlety and stealth, since they are so confident of their shadow magic, then fight them and best them with their own shadow magic, thats my suggestion.

Manshoon and the Zhents are more likely to view Shade as their rivals to domination of Faerun especially when the Zhents lost quite a number of their caravans in the Anauroch desert thanks to Shade raiders.
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 06 Oct 2005 : 22:09:38
quote:

quote:

Even if the inhabitants of Shade and Selūnnara utterly annihilated each other, there would still be Netherese around. There's been a few here and there since Netheril fell.

True, but a pity that even the last few living Netherese will fade away into history except for one undead Netherese arcanist called Aumvor who survived the Fall of Netheril.

what have you to pity in the extinction of the netherese?
read my signature!
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 06 Oct 2005 : 21:51:11
quote:
Originally posted by Darkheyr

As I said - it was silly of him not to take the possibility into consideration. But again, that's what bugs me about Troy Denning... Well actually about most D&D elves. They are WAY too human. There's little of the wise and intelligent race from ancient times portrayed there, seeing as how their arrogance and self-righteousness leads to mistake after mistake.

Agreed. The elves of Faerun have a history of failure. When a race lives for centuries there is almost an obligation to master something at least. The elves failed to protect one of their most potent artifacts, they failed to censor the arcane Highmagic from the Netherese and they are mostly to blame for the rise of netheril and the the dangers that created. This is a harsh reality not speculation. Their rivalry and fighting of the Crown wars left them weak when they should have been the guardians, the wise sages and wardens of Faerun. Now what do they do? they run from their failure at Myth Drannor, they flee the Drow which they allow to plnder human settlements. They sit idly by in on a mysterious island and can't even protect the secrets of THAT land, as it is now known that a High Mage tower was destroyed! The longevity of the elves has lead to a sinful sloth in the elven hearts and minds and that is why great and ancient dangers plague us today.
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 06 Oct 2005 : 21:36:39
quote:
Originally posted by Defender

I think I must agree with Shadovar that the Shade Enclave would not so fast return to claim the Anauroch again but they will preferably hide somewhere and employ subtle means to restore their Netherese glory while undermining other cities or opposition to them.

this would be preferable to all out war in Anauroch!
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 06 Oct 2005 : 18:06:56

this is one of the most dire catastrophes of our time. The return of the shades must be stopped. they must be destroyed once and for all. This is because their magic is inherently evil, reacts with weave magic (it could bring the abyss to Toril!!). The Folly of Netheril almost destroyed the weave once... it cannot be allowed to continue to do so in the future.
which spurs my thesis:

Nul-arcana Involvutum Netheril

The shades will utterly destroy the realms of the phaerim.
This includes lands once occupied by Thaeravel, a once mighty wizard empire that is one of the places from which the Netherese stole their understanding of magic. The sages of candlekeep need to understand this land in order to understand netheril and how that land came to power and threaten the rest of Faerun.
This includes lands once called Issostofil (sp? im horribly wrong here). The capital, Oreme, is inhabited by 60 lich kings who would oppose the shades uncovering of their lands. These liches woudl spellbattle the shades and could possibly defeat teh city but at what cost to Faerun. The answer here... in preservation of Toril is to refrain from magical combat with the shades.

It is not my place or power of mind to declare how to counter the rise of the shades. However I can suggest that a unilateral front be raised against them in arms and manpower. This would be the test of Faerun, to see if we can finally beat magic without magic. To fight fire with fist and to make up for the mistakes of thousands of years. We humans did not oppose the Netherese (who stole magic and used it improperly, who enslaved races and now threaten the stability of our land) in its infancy. We sons of Anauroch failed to correct out ways. We elves hesistated for millenia before trying to right the mistake of our teachings. We of the ancient lands did not fulfill our duty to protect our knowledge from those who would use it wrongly. It is therefore our responsibility and our duty to combat the Shades, the Dark Netherese, now and even at the cost of our lives... for the lives of our descendants and the childer of theirs.

It is grave indeed that the Arcanist Lords of today, the Chosen, Khelben BlackStaff Arunsun and Elminster himself (blessed be these to Mystra) have not been able to counter or foresee this catastrophe and prepare for it. I particularly wonder how the powers of cruel forces are responding. Would lord Manshoon be pleased or distressed? Would the Warlock support the Shades? These once long enemies may be our allies in the years and perhaps decades to come as we of all beliefs and conciences react to the Universal threat of the Shadow Mages.

Kajehase Posted - 04 Jul 2005 : 12:27:06
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I think that Shadovar's alliance with Halruaa bodes ill for Faerūn.

Except that as far as I've been able to tell, that alliance is about as canonical as St. Hedvig - patron of Smorgasbords.
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 04 Jul 2005 : 09:03:36
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

I'm taking bets...

How do all of you believe that the return of the Archwizards/Anauroch/Netheril/Shade Enclave story is going to wrap up...

I think that Netheril will return (perhaps called New Netheril or something to that effect) after the Realms folk (Harpers, Moonstars, Silverymoon, Waterdeep, etc.) along with Shade Enclave finally kick out the phaerimm....this will be due to Shade Enclave's attempts to flood the desert coming to fruition and revealing/resurrecting the huge cache of magical items under the sand revealed in Realms of Shadow....

My opinion is informed by Robert E. Howard's one and only Conan novel, The Hour of the Dragon. In it the resurrected wizard Xaltotun of Acheron plans to unleash an orgiastic blood sacrifice in the form of multiple wars, and with the power unleashed thereby "wash away the present" and restore dead Acheron as a living empire, using the degenerate descendents of Acheron as the basis for a revived Acherontic race. With that in mind, I think that Shadovar's alliance with Halruaa bodes ill for Faerūn.

quote:
"We have loosed a demon upon the earth, a fiend inexplicable to common humanity. I have plumbed deep into evil, but there is a limit to which I, or any man of my race and age, can go. My ancestors were clean men, without any demoniacal taint; it is only I who have sunk into the pits, and can sin only to the extent of my personal individuality. Out behind Xaltotun lie a thousand centuries of black magic and diabolism, an ancient tradition of evil. He is beyond our conception not only because he is a wizard himself, but also because he is the son of a race of wizards."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

For the Zhentarim may very likely attack shade enclave with their might as shade enclave do represent a major threat to their interests and their supply routes in the deserts of Anauroch as if I am not wrong, Two princes of shade enclave on behalf of their city made a pact with the Blue Suzerain to drive the Zhentarim out of the desert in return of the dracolich aid against the phaerimm. So I am sure the Zhentarim will not so easily forgive the enclave actions given the nature of the Zhentarim.
Also, the Zhentarim worship Cyric, though they formerly worship Bane, they may attempt to try seek the secrets of the Shadow Weave as afterall Cyric was interested in securing a power source such as the Shadow Weave that will put him on equal terms with Mystra and allow him to directly challenge Mystra and her Weave.

How willing is Cyric, a greater god who believes that he is the greatest god to use the Shadow Weave when doing so will put him totally under Shar's thumb? What Cyric needs to fight Mystra is psionics or some means to draw magical power from beyond the crystal sphere of Realmspace. If he acquires such power, the city of Shade will be squashed like a bug if it resists him or his agents.

I have not read the Return of the Archwizards trilogy or the anthology yet, but it is apparent that if Shade comes into conflict with any major magic-wielding nation, Anauroch will be blasted down to bedrock by the conflict. Most of northern and eastern Faerūn is deserts caused by magical conflicts. When forces even stronger than those which caused the deserts are unleashed in the deserts, woe betide Toril!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Antareana

I'd rather hope that there would be no Shade vs. Opus Showdown

Shadovar versus Penguin. Who would win? One wonders.... Would Steve Dallas be aiding Opus?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

quote:

Even if the inhabitants of Shade and Selūnnara utterly annihilated each other, there would still be Netherese around. There's been a few here and there since Netheril fell.

True, but a pity that even the last few living Netherese will fade away into history except for one undead Netherese arcanist called Aumvor who survived the Fall of Netheril.

And let's not forget Quantoul! We must never forget Quantoul (and his scores of enslaved liches)....

But seriously ... who knows what Quant ... er ... Larloch has been researching for the past couple of millennia? It has something to do with portals, but is his ultimate goal to gate things onto Toril or off of it?

The modules about fighting the Witch-King and Orcus were for characters up to Level 100, but the uber-war which would break out if Shade and Halruaa took on any of the other potent potential adversaries which people have bruited may call for adventurers above 100th Level! With Epic spells flying fast and furious and the planet itself convulsing such a super-conflict, with massed mortal spellcasters arrayed against cadres of liches, with ur-deities Shar and Selūne going at it again, and Weave magic fighting Shadow Weave magic (and maybe some hellacious psionics thrown into the mix) ... why, I think that it is possible that Quant ... er ... er Larloch may finally have his "Eureka!" moment ... and discover a trans-spheric magical source, one which can be tapped into without either Mystra or Shar's approval. I think the outcome of such a Titanomachy will be several dead greater gods and a lot of dead lesser gods with millions of dead mortals and thousands of undead who will become even deader. It's possible that even god-slaying magics (or psionic powers) may be unleashed -- forces which can "snuff out the life force" of a deity as irrevocably as Finger of Death does mortals. (Many have expressed annoyance that dead gods keep recovering from death in Realmspace as easily as mortals recover from the common cold. Witnessing mortals or liches unleashing potent magics which can do for gods as easily as gods do for mortals may shake up the gods in ways that the ToT was unable.) Jordan's Wheel of Time novels have several uses of a power which erases its victims from the fabric of Reality itself -- they are gone beyond any hope of recovery. Such devasting forces may be unleashed against the gods of Toril themselves in the years to come.
Kuje Posted - 01 Jul 2005 : 16:46:03
quote:

Well there's still Larloch, Lady Saharel the Sorceress of Saharelgard, Morasha the Netherese Necromancer, and the two that Ed hinted at that are in my Ed files, plus who knows how many others.

Parzal the Outrageous might still be around as well, we don't know if he died but we do know he survived the fall.
Shadovar Posted - 01 Jul 2005 : 14:18:05
quote:
originally posted by Phaerimm Bane
Well, I will be certainly be gaming to get the fat lich down to Kelemvor's Realm

Then I wish you luck and hope that Tymora will aid your endeavor to sent the fat lich to Kelemvor's Realm.
Phaerimm Bane Posted - 01 Jul 2005 : 14:14:39
quote:

quote:

Well, I will be certainly be gaming to get the fat lich down to Kelemvor's Realm
Shadovar Posted - 01 Jul 2005 : 14:09:18
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jul 2005 : 11:37:20
Shadovar Posted - 01 Jul 2005 : 09:23:57
quote:
Originally posted by FreezeChaser

quote:
originally posted by RedStrike
Not necessarily may it mean the end of the last survivors of Netheril, I am sure there might be survivors of this upcoming conflict. I don't think this would be like what happened to Iolaum enclave when they fought with Karse Enclave in a mock turned real battle where almost to all the Netherese perished horribly in the battle.

Well, in theeir zealousness of dealing death to each other, they might all end up dead. This showdown between the remaining Netherese enclaves to remove the final remnants of netherese legacy seemed to be engineered by Selune and Shar indirectly. Still, sometimes i wonder are such fights waged by followers of the various deities of the light and dark for the deities amusement or entertainment as their followers fight and die with horrible ends while the deities lounge in the astral planes safe from any battle. Wouldn't it be better if Selune and Shar fight it out then use their followers as pawns in their battle? Small wonder why Lord Ao forced all the deities to walk as avatars among mortals, guess Ao wanted them to know the mortals life better but I think few deities realize it anyway.
(sorry, no offense intended in my words.)

Hmm...Well I heard that Lord Ao once broke up a serious seemingly endless fight between the opposing sisters before the coming of the various races to Toril. I think He forbade any further conflicts between Selune and Shar for the pantheon stability. So Selune and Shar had to slug it out through their followers, anyway, their followers will become their peititioners in the afterlife in their own realms. As for why Lord Ao forced all deities to walk the mortal plane as avatars yet vulnerable like a mortal, His reasons well is known only to Lord Ao himself.
FreezeChaser Posted - 01 Jul 2005 : 09:16:08
quote:
originally posted by RedStrike
Not necessarily may it mean the end of the last survivors of Netheril, I am sure there might be survivors of this upcoming conflict. I don't think this would be like what happened to Iolaum enclave when they fought with Karse Enclave in a mock turned real battle where almost to all the Netherese perished horribly in the battle.

Well, in theeir zealousness of dealing death to each other, they might all end up dead. This showdown between the remaining Netherese enclaves to remove the final remnants of netherese legacy seemed to be engineered by Selune and Shar indirectly. Still, sometimes i wonder are such fights waged by followers of the various deities of the light and dark for the deities amusement or entertainment as their followers fight and die with horrible ends while the deities lounge in the astral planes safe from any battle. Wouldn't it be better if Selune and Shar fight it out then use their followers as pawns in their battle? Small wonder why Lord Ao forced all the deities to walk as avatars among mortals, guess Ao wanted them to know the mortals life better but I think few deities realize it anyway.
(sorry, no offense intended in my words.)
RedStrike Posted - 01 Jul 2005 : 09:06:37
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

quote:

quote:

Well, we would have to assume that Selune equipped them with powers to defeat Shar and the Shades. After all, all the Netherese living on Opus have become outsiders.

Second, we have to remember that these are the Netherese we are talking about. They can easily create magical items without needing a deity, as they have been doing for thousands of years during the Time of Nethril.

Well, lets hope that these Netherese Selunites can develop proper anti-shadow magic weapons and magic artifacts or something that can compete with the Shadovar weapons but for their military, I don't think they can fare that well against the battle hardened Shadovar military. Most importantly, is that the Netherese Selunites do not fall prey to Telamont's plots or be detected by Telamont before the Netherese Selunites are ready enough to combat the Shadovar.

Well, based on LEoF, it seems that the Netherese Selunites of Opus have been doing nothing except preparing for the battle to come with the Shades. After all, as the servants of Selune, they expect to combat the forces of Shar.

So it appears the netherese Selunites might be well prepared after all. But I think the final showdown between these two enclaves might mean the end of the last remnants of Netheril legacy.

Shadovar Posted - 01 Jul 2005 : 09:01:45
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, we would have to assume that Selune equipped them with powers to defeat Shar and the Shades. After all, all the Netherese living on Opus have become outsiders.

Second, we have to remember that these are the Netherese we are talking about. They can easily create magical items without needing a deity, as they have been doing for thousands of years during the Time of Nethril.

Well, lets hope that these Netherese Selunites can develop proper anti-shadow magic weapons and magic artifacts or something that can compete with the Shadovar weapons but for their military, I don't think they can fare that well against the battle hardened Shadovar military. Most importantly, is that the Netherese Selunites do not fall prey to Telamont's plots or be detected by Telamont before the Netherese Selunites are ready enough to combat the Shadovar.

Well, based on LEoF, it seems that the Netherese Selunites of Opus have been doing nothing except preparing for the battle to come with the Shades. After all, as the servants of Selune, they expect to combat the forces of Shar.

So it appears the netherese Selunites might be well prepared after all. But I think the final showdown between these two enclaves might mean the end of the last remnants of Netheril legacy.
DDH_101 Posted - 01 Jul 2005 : 07:40:23
quote:

quote:

RedStrike Posted - 01 Jul 2005 : 03:51:42
quote:

quote:

True, we may have to wait to see if there is a capable leader among the Selunites with incredible abilites to match Lord Shadow. Still there is a comment about Lord Shadow:
"Lord Shadow always had a way of getting people to look where he wanted them to look and never see the death blow coming"
Shadovar Posted - 01 Jul 2005 : 01:29:37
quote:

AlacLuin Posted - 30 Jun 2005 : 18:10:17
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Well met!

I know that LEoF gives a good description/update on Opus, and how it now resides in Selune's realm, but I first read of it in Dungeon magazine issue #88. The module (by Skip Williams? I don't have that issue at hand right now) describes it as a ruin buried under the sands of Anauroch.

Hmmm... I wonder why they changed that?

This change was not done durring LEoF.
from Netheril:EoM
"The Fall and Beyond (3520+): It’s widely believed that the
city of Opus was spared the destruction of Netheril’s cities by
divining the effects of Karsus’s avatar spell and evacuating mere
moments before magic failed. The truth behind their salvation
was somewhat hazy, however, and other sources stated that the
goddess Selūne personally delivered them from destruction."

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000