Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Elven calendar

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RodOdom Posted - 19 Jun 2006 : 06:00:47
Have the names of the months in the elven calendar ever been revealed?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
maransreth Posted - 02 Dec 2020 : 08:56:44

In regard to Eric's lunar calendar, if you havent already I would recommend listening to the Mages and Sages "podcast" from their Youtube channel, where Eric is the special guest. Not alot is given away, but it is a start.

If I remember correctly, Eric, you mentioned names of gems being involved in the year names?

There is also significance with numbers and the alignment between the months in the solar year and months in the lunar year.
Duneth Despana Posted - 01 Dec 2020 : 20:17:58
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

I invented a new Calendar of Sehanine. It's a lunar calendar with a different cycle. ;-)

Please share!
cpthero2 Posted - 24 Oct 2020 : 22:32:11
Hey Eric,

Any chance I could get a copy of that? That sounds awesome! :)

Best regards,

ericlboyd Posted - 24 Oct 2020 : 16:52:12
I invented a new Calendar of Sehanine. It's a lunar calendar with a different cycle. ;-)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Oct 2020 : 03:34:59
Elves clearly recognize seasons and seasonal changes -- why would they need to narrow it down any further? They live for centuries. Paying attention to a handful of days, for them, would be similar to a human having a separate measure of time for 4 seconds.

And before you say it, yes, I know, we've got units of time like shakes and femtoseconds and all that -- but those units of time are only important to and used by people who have a need for very precise measurements of some seriously small scale stuff. The average person doesn't have a need for anything like that, just like elves wouldn't need to track individual days or months.
cpthero2 Posted - 24 Oct 2020 : 01:10:12
Senior Scribe RodOdom,

per mio comando risorgi te!

Whew.......looks like I just squeeked in my reply before anyone else did.......

Obviously this is quite old, but searching for calendars, timelines, etc., hasn't revealed an answer, and even after checking some material referenced by the Master Sage from page 20 of Cormanthyr, there is nothing. In fact it was interesting to take note that:

quote:
Elves recognize the years as seen by humans and the other "shortlives," though the History on only ones that use them for any purpose in their lives are elven farmers who are, of course, slaves to the Faerūn rapid changing of seasons.

Even the Elves recognize that time keeping is important for purposes of yielding crops, etc., yet they apparently give no known recognition of as much. That just intellectually seems silly to me. I mean, I get it, you're elf, and you're doing your forest things and stuff, but if you want food from crops, you have to stick to the seasons, like it or not. I suppose, unless they are eating magic food or leaves all of the time, but it seems that they do not.

Anyhow, anyone up for throwing in any info on how Elves kept time long ago?

Best regards,

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000