Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Elven calendar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  06:00:47  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Have the names of the months in the elven calendar ever been revealed?

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2020 :  01:10:12  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe RodOdom,

per mio comando risorgi te!

Whew.......looks like I just squeeked in my reply before anyone else did.......

Obviously this is quite old, but searching for calendars, timelines, etc., hasn't revealed an answer, and even after checking some material referenced by the Master Sage from page 20 of Cormanthyr, there is nothing. In fact it was interesting to take note that:

quote:
Elves recognize the years as seen by humans and the other "shortlives," though the History on only ones that use them for any purpose in their lives are elven farmers who are, of course, slaves to the Faerūn rapid changing of seasons.

Even the Elves recognize that time keeping is important for purposes of yielding crops, etc., yet they apparently give no known recognition of as much. That just intellectually seems silly to me. I mean, I get it, you're elf, and you're doing your forest things and stuff, but if you want food from crops, you have to stick to the seasons, like it or not. I suppose, unless they are eating magic food or leaves all of the time, but it seems that they do not.

Anyhow, anyone up for throwing in any info on how Elves kept time long ago?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring

Edited by - cpthero2 on 24 Oct 2020 01:10:54
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2020 :  03:34:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elves clearly recognize seasons and seasonal changes -- why would they need to narrow it down any further? They live for centuries. Paying attention to a handful of days, for them, would be similar to a human having a separate measure of time for 4 seconds.

And before you say it, yes, I know, we've got units of time like shakes and femtoseconds and all that -- but those units of time are only important to and used by people who have a need for very precise measurements of some seriously small scale stuff. The average person doesn't have a need for anything like that, just like elves wouldn't need to track individual days or months.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2020 :  16:52:12  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I invented a new Calendar of Sehanine. It's a lunar calendar with a different cycle. ;-)

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2020 :  22:32:11  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric,

Any chance I could get a copy of that? That sounds awesome! :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2020 :  20:17:58  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

I invented a new Calendar of Sehanine. It's a lunar calendar with a different cycle. ;-)

Please share!

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2020 :  08:56:44  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

In regard to Eric's lunar calendar, if you havent already I would recommend listening to the Mages and Sages "podcast" from their Youtube channel, where Eric is the special guest. Not alot is given away, but it is a start.

If I remember correctly, Eric, you mentioned names of gems being involved in the year names?

There is also significance with numbers and the alignment between the months in the solar year and months in the lunar year.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000