Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Impact Crater?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Seethyr Posted - 30 May 2020 : 18:34:34
Could an event like this have occurred in the prehistory of FR? Any hints toward such a thing? If so, could there still be a massive magma chamber found somewhere?

Lopango, “the Land of Fire” would make an excellent candidate, No?

https://www.foxnews.com/science/dinosaur-killing-asteroid-massive-magma-chamber-millions-years
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 01 Jun 2020 : 14:48:38
out in Maztica too, there's that volcano in the desert that has what would appear to be something like a layer of mercury floating atop it (only say that because its a silvery sheen), and if you stare at it, you get divinations. Just noting that that could also be some smaller impact point.
Seethyr Posted - 31 May 2020 : 23:09:45
quote:
Originally posted by louis_bowwow

I would place it in an untouched place like Lopango or maybe Osse. The impact could have lead to the downfall of the batrachi nations that inhabited the area of Lopango during that time.

The magma basin could provide some ties to the elemental plane of fire races. Maybe some azer mine the area for star metals or maybe some genasi live underground in caverns and tunnels near the magma basin. The beljuril dragons or the other creatures in the dragon article would definitely work. You could have the earthstokers as a secret organization keeping the basin contained or diverting the energy to the many volcanoes in the area. This could lead to some conflict with the supay gnomes that live in one.

Get out of my brain! Lol
louis_bowwow Posted - 31 May 2020 : 18:39:06
I would place it in an untouched place like Lopango or maybe Osse. The impact could have lead to the downfall of the batrachi nations that inhabited the area of Lopango during that time.

The magma basin could provide some ties to the elemental plane of fire races. Maybe some azer mine the area for star metals or maybe some genasi live underground in caverns and tunnels near the magma basin. The beljuril dragons or the other creatures in the dragon article would definitely work. You could have the earthstokers as a secret organization keeping the basin contained or diverting the energy to the many volcanoes in the area. This could lead to some conflict with the supay gnomes that live in one.
Seethyr Posted - 31 May 2020 : 17:12:56
In the article it spoke of a massive basin of mama that lasted for potentially a million years. Of all these candidates, where might that lie? Is there any area such a basin might fit among these choices or would it have to be in an untouched area such as Lopango.
The_Silversword Posted - 31 May 2020 : 12:55:31
Has anyone mentioned the Sea of Falling Stars yet?
Seravin Posted - 31 May 2020 : 10:31:44
I think Mistledale is from a meteor. It's my fave Dale :)
Brimstone Posted - 31 May 2020 : 04:29:52
The Moonsea, and one of the Dales (Deepindale IIRC) were created by Celestial Impacts.
sleyvas Posted - 31 May 2020 : 01:32:45
Many of the places with space names often have allusions to them being places where a tear crashed. The star mounts for instance is noted for particularly powerful magic that seemingly empowers the land around it, and auramycos is near that. We've posited about Halruaa in the past. I would be surprised if the Shaar has been hit, and perhaps even the cracking of the land with the landrise and creation of the great rift wasn't some impact.

I'd also note that over in Kara-Tur there's some really strange islands, and I wouldn't be surprised if many of those island creations themselves aren't cause by impacts.
TheIriaeban Posted - 31 May 2020 : 01:22:47
Just going off of geography, what about the Halruaan Basin? That could have been an impact crater or supervolcano. Don't forget the Lake of Steam, either. Plenty of magma flow there.
Seethyr Posted - 30 May 2020 : 23:53:00
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-There have been a lot of allusions to meteors falling throughout the history of the world, so why not. The Tearfall, which was ancient Faerun getting blasted by meteors that had some kind of connections to Dragons coming into existence occurred in -31,000. That was prior to The Sundering, so the literal continents were arranged differently, but it demonstrates that it happened in the past and as such, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility if it happened at some other point in history.

Your mention of the tearfall got me thinking of dragons, and then it reminded me of the beljuril dragons of dragon magazine for some reason. I might work that into some personal lore.
Lord Karsus Posted - 30 May 2020 : 23:47:10
-There have been a lot of allusions to meteors falling throughout the history of the world, so why not. The Tearfall, which was ancient Faerun getting blasted by meteors that had some kind of connections to Dragons coming into existence occurred in -31,000. That was prior to The Sundering, so the literal continents were arranged differently, but it demonstrates that it happened in the past and as such, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility if it happened at some other point in history.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000