Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Impact Crater?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2020 :  18:34:34  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Could an event like this have occurred in the prehistory of FR? Any hints toward such a thing? If so, could there still be a massive magma chamber found somewhere?

Lopango, “the Land of Fire” would make an excellent candidate, No?

https://www.foxnews.com/science/dinosaur-killing-asteroid-massive-magma-chamber-millions-years

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2020 :  23:47:10  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-There have been a lot of allusions to meteors falling throughout the history of the world, so why not. The Tearfall, which was ancient Faerun getting blasted by meteors that had some kind of connections to Dragons coming into existence occurred in -31,000. That was prior to The Sundering, so the literal continents were arranged differently, but it demonstrates that it happened in the past and as such, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility if it happened at some other point in history.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2020 :  23:53:00  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-There have been a lot of allusions to meteors falling throughout the history of the world, so why not. The Tearfall, which was ancient Faerun getting blasted by meteors that had some kind of connections to Dragons coming into existence occurred in -31,000. That was prior to The Sundering, so the literal continents were arranged differently, but it demonstrates that it happened in the past and as such, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility if it happened at some other point in history.

Your mention of the tearfall got me thinking of dragons, and then it reminded me of the beljuril dragons of dragon magazine for some reason. I might work that into some personal lore.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2020 :  01:22:47  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just going off of geography, what about the Halruaan Basin? That could have been an impact crater or supervolcano. Don't forget the Lake of Steam, either. Plenty of magma flow there.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2020 :  01:32:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many of the places with space names often have allusions to them being places where a tear crashed. The star mounts for instance is noted for particularly powerful magic that seemingly empowers the land around it, and auramycos is near that. We've posited about Halruaa in the past. I would be surprised if the Shaar has been hit, and perhaps even the cracking of the land with the landrise and creation of the great rift wasn't some impact.

I'd also note that over in Kara-Tur there's some really strange islands, and I wouldn't be surprised if many of those island creations themselves aren't cause by impacts.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2020 :  04:29:52  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Moonsea, and one of the Dales (Deepindale IIRC) were created by Celestial Impacts.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2020 :  10:31:44  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Mistledale is from a meteor. It's my fave Dale :)
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2020 :  12:55:31  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone mentioned the Sea of Falling Stars yet?

I survived the Spellplague and all I got was this stupid sig.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2020 :  17:12:56  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the article it spoke of a massive basin of mama that lasted for potentially a million years. Of all these candidates, where might that lie? Is there any area such a basin might fit among these choices or would it have to be in an untouched area such as Lopango.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

louis_bowwow
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2020 :  18:39:06  Show Profile  Visit louis_bowwow's Homepage Send louis_bowwow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would place it in an untouched place like Lopango or maybe Osse. The impact could have lead to the downfall of the batrachi nations that inhabited the area of Lopango during that time.

The magma basin could provide some ties to the elemental plane of fire races. Maybe some azer mine the area for star metals or maybe some genasi live underground in caverns and tunnels near the magma basin. The beljuril dragons or the other creatures in the dragon article would definitely work. You could have the earthstokers as a secret organization keeping the basin contained or diverting the energy to the many volcanoes in the area. This could lead to some conflict with the supay gnomes that live in one.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2020 :  23:09:45  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by louis_bowwow

I would place it in an untouched place like Lopango or maybe Osse. The impact could have lead to the downfall of the batrachi nations that inhabited the area of Lopango during that time.

The magma basin could provide some ties to the elemental plane of fire races. Maybe some azer mine the area for star metals or maybe some genasi live underground in caverns and tunnels near the magma basin. The beljuril dragons or the other creatures in the dragon article would definitely work. You could have the earthstokers as a secret organization keeping the basin contained or diverting the energy to the many volcanoes in the area. This could lead to some conflict with the supay gnomes that live in one.

Get out of my brain! Lol

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2020 :  14:48:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
out in Maztica too, there's that volcano in the desert that has what would appear to be something like a layer of mercury floating atop it (only say that because its a silvery sheen), and if you stare at it, you get divinations. Just noting that that could also be some smaller impact point.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000