Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Looking for a Map I Lost

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Arcanamach Posted - 05 May 2020 : 03:08:04
Okay, I'm looking for a map I lost after my last computer was damaged. It was a rather detailed, zoomable map of Faerun with hexes on it. Anyone have that map? I know it was posted somewhere on CK before.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PattPlays Posted - 13 May 2020 : 20:11:39
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

If anyone knows how to overlay a hex grid on the map that PattPlays linked just above that'd be great. It's a world map version whereas the hex version I have only has Faerun (and the Shining South/Chult region is mostly cut out).

You can do it, but it's going to be a ton of work to get right and require a pretty strong computer (because you'll be manipulating multiple 20000x20000 .tga files) with some good image editing software. Use mkhexgrid (http://www.nomic.net/~uckelman/mkhexgrid/) to generate a hex grid of the same size with the properties you desire; in particular you want hex-height and hex-width (and NOT hex-side) to be the size of the hexes you desire. (To get this size, figure out how large you want your hexes to be in in-game units [presumably miles], then measure that size on the map scale to get the same value in points or pixels to feed into your mkhexgrid configuration file.) Also consider what kinds of hexes you want (numbered, horizontal or vertical grain, etc.)

Then you'll need to take the two image files and overlay the hex grid onto the map; if you don't have mkhexgrid exporting transparent hex fills, you'll need to color-fill the hexes with alpha-channel backgrounds first. Line it up, check your scale is right, and export.

This is a very involved, very detailed process. Doing this for the poster map in 2e's Cormyr book took about a day to nail down, and then a bit longer to reproduce in Hex Kit for a final product (I still need to add a lot of sources, but one day I'll share that map here.)

Oooh... a reason to bump this..
Bonus points if you designate a coordinate system for the grid. We could even install time zones..
Arivia Posted - 12 May 2020 : 21:40:08
quote:

If anyone knows how to overlay a hex grid on the map that PattPlays linked just above that'd be great. It's a world map version whereas the hex version I have only has Faerun (and the Shining South/Chult region is mostly cut out).

You can do it, but it's going to be a ton of work to get right and require a pretty strong computer (because you'll be manipulating multiple 20000x20000 .tga files) with some good image editing software. Use mkhexgrid (http://www.nomic.net/~uckelman/mkhexgrid/) to generate a hex grid of the same size with the properties you desire; in particular you want hex-height and hex-width (and NOT hex-side) to be the size of the hexes you desire. (To get this size, figure out how large you want your hexes to be in in-game units [presumably miles], then measure that size on the map scale to get the same value in points or pixels to feed into your mkhexgrid configuration file.) Also consider what kinds of hexes you want (numbered, horizontal or vertical grain, etc.)

Then you'll need to take the two image files and overlay the hex grid onto the map; if you don't have mkhexgrid exporting transparent hex fills, you'll need to color-fill the hexes with alpha-channel backgrounds first. Line it up, check your scale is right, and export.

This is a very involved, very detailed process. Doing this for the poster map in 2e's Cormyr book took about a day to nail down, and then a bit longer to reproduce in Hex Kit for a final product (I still need to add a lot of sources, but one day I'll share that map here.)
The Arcanamach Posted - 12 May 2020 : 00:58:10
PattPlays Posted - 11 May 2020 : 02:39:44
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23469

Well, here it is.
https://www.dndcombat.com/toril/
gregc Posted - 10 May 2020 : 17:28:51
quote:

No that's not it but I found a copy of it I had backed up. I'm happy to share it if you PM me an email.

Its huge, but wow amazing map, very useful thanks
The Arcanamach Posted - 09 May 2020 : 21:04:13
No that's not it but I found a copy of it I had backed up. I'm happy to share it if you PM me an email.
Thauramarth Posted - 09 May 2020 : 12:30:05
A couple of days ago I came across a big map, zoomable, 6-mile hexes here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Forgotten_Realms/comments/fyncss/faerun_hex_map_6_miles_per_hex/

Could this be the one you're looking for?
The Arcanamach Posted - 08 May 2020 : 23:30:34
No that's not the one but that link is awesome.
gregc Posted - 08 May 2020 : 22:01:22
quote:

Okay, I'm looking for a map I lost after my last computer was damaged. It was a rather detailed, zoomable map of Faerun with hexes on it. Anyone have that map? I know it was posted somewhere on CK before.

The one someone just linked me lol?

https://loremaps.azurewebsites.net/Maps/Faerun
The Arcanamach Posted - 06 May 2020 : 15:30:39
I managed to find a back up I'd created. I can share it with anyone who PMs me an email address. It's a great map. My only issue with it is it only maps south to the tip of Chult and the Shining South areas (like the original 'big' maps of faerun did back in the 1e days). I have another zoomable map that includes all of Faerun, Maztica, Kara-Tur and Al-Quadim but no hexes.

The great thing about the hex map is they're unobtrusive. The hexes are light enough not the spoil the map without being so light you can't see them once you zoom in a bit.
ElfBane Posted - 06 May 2020 : 11:23:12
Here's one. It's just the Sword Coast area though.

https://imgur.com/gallery/DTznbv0
George Krashos Posted - 06 May 2020 : 03:44:21
Not aware of a hex one.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000