Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Looking for a Map I Lost
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2020 :  03:08:04  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, I'm looking for a map I lost after my last computer was damaged. It was a rather detailed, zoomable map of Faerun with hexes on it. Anyone have that map? I know it was posted somewhere on CK before.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2020 :  03:44:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not aware of a hex one.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2020 :  11:23:12  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's one. It's just the Sword Coast area though.

https://imgur.com/gallery/DTznbv0
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2020 :  15:30:39  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I managed to find a back up I'd created. I can share it with anyone who PMs me an email address. It's a great map. My only issue with it is it only maps south to the tip of Chult and the Shining South areas (like the original 'big' maps of faerun did back in the 1e days). I have another zoomable map that includes all of Faerun, Maztica, Kara-Tur and Al-Quadim but no hexes.

The great thing about the hex map is they're unobtrusive. The hexes are light enough not the spoil the map without being so light you can't see them once you zoom in a bit.

Go to Top of Page

gregc
Acolyte

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2020 :  22:01:22  Show Profile Send gregc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Okay, I'm looking for a map I lost after my last computer was damaged. It was a rather detailed, zoomable map of Faerun with hexes on it. Anyone have that map? I know it was posted somewhere on CK before.

The one someone just linked me lol?

https://loremaps.azurewebsites.net/Maps/Faerun
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2020 :  23:30:34  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No that's not the one but that link is awesome.

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2020 :  12:30:05  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of days ago I came across a big map, zoomable, 6-mile hexes here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Forgotten_Realms/comments/fyncss/faerun_hex_map_6_miles_per_hex/

Could this be the one you're looking for?
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2020 :  21:04:13  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No that's not it but I found a copy of it I had backed up. I'm happy to share it if you PM me an email.

Go to Top of Page

gregc
Acolyte

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2020 :  17:28:51  Show Profile Send gregc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No that's not it but I found a copy of it I had backed up. I'm happy to share it if you PM me an email.

Its huge, but wow amazing map, very useful thanks
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

468 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2020 :  02:39:44  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23469

Well, here it is.
https://www.dndcombat.com/toril/

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  00:58:10  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone knows how to overlay a hex grid on the map that PattPlays linked just above that'd be great. It's a world map version whereas the hex version I have only has Faerun (and the Shining South/Chult region is mostly cut out).

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  21:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If anyone knows how to overlay a hex grid on the map that PattPlays linked just above that'd be great. It's a world map version whereas the hex version I have only has Faerun (and the Shining South/Chult region is mostly cut out).

You can do it, but it's going to be a ton of work to get right and require a pretty strong computer (because you'll be manipulating multiple 20000x20000 .tga files) with some good image editing software. Use mkhexgrid (http://www.nomic.net/~uckelman/mkhexgrid/) to generate a hex grid of the same size with the properties you desire; in particular you want hex-height and hex-width (and NOT hex-side) to be the size of the hexes you desire. (To get this size, figure out how large you want your hexes to be in in-game units [presumably miles], then measure that size on the map scale to get the same value in points or pixels to feed into your mkhexgrid configuration file.) Also consider what kinds of hexes you want (numbered, horizontal or vertical grain, etc.)

Then you'll need to take the two image files and overlay the hex grid onto the map; if you don't have mkhexgrid exporting transparent hex fills, you'll need to color-fill the hexes with alpha-channel backgrounds first. Line it up, check your scale is right, and export.

This is a very involved, very detailed process. Doing this for the poster map in 2e's Cormyr book took about a day to nail down, and then a bit longer to reproduce in Hex Kit for a final product (I still need to add a lot of sources, but one day I'll share that map here.)
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

468 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2020 :  20:11:39  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

You can do it, but it's going to be a ton of work to get right and require a pretty strong computer (because you'll be manipulating multiple 20000x20000 .tga files) with some good image editing software. Use mkhexgrid (http://www.nomic.net/~uckelman/mkhexgrid/) to generate a hex grid of the same size with the properties you desire; in particular you want hex-height and hex-width (and NOT hex-side) to be the size of the hexes you desire. (To get this size, figure out how large you want your hexes to be in in-game units [presumably miles], then measure that size on the map scale to get the same value in points or pixels to feed into your mkhexgrid configuration file.) Also consider what kinds of hexes you want (numbered, horizontal or vertical grain, etc.)

Then you'll need to take the two image files and overlay the hex grid onto the map; if you don't have mkhexgrid exporting transparent hex fills, you'll need to color-fill the hexes with alpha-channel backgrounds first. Line it up, check your scale is right, and export.

This is a very involved, very detailed process. Doing this for the poster map in 2e's Cormyr book took about a day to nail down, and then a bit longer to reproduce in Hex Kit for a final product (I still need to add a lot of sources, but one day I'll share that map here.)

Oooh... a reason to bump this..
Bonus points if you designate a coordinate system for the grid. We could even install time zones..

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000