Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 You wake up...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 19 Apr 2020 : 22:56:10
You wake up in a sweet-smelling dungeon cell. As you focus and come to, you notice several other humanoids in the cell with you of various races. A sickly-sweet scent flows into your cell as a pixie throws you a key to the cell door, laughs and vanishes in a soft pop.

You notice a Elder Redcap outside the cell and can hear a spell-battle down the chamber. You have no idea where you are, and can barely remember who you are, as you look at the glowing key in your hand.

What race/ class combo do you choose to be?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 01 May 2020 : 19:38:48
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Fey''ri Warlock because why not

Well, it is a powerful combo imo.
The Arcanamach Posted - 29 Apr 2020 : 18:21:14
Fey''ri Warlock because why not
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 28 Apr 2020 : 02:08:18
quote:
Originally posted by Stones Finder

As I recall, Vampire of the Mists was intended to end in Jander's destruction, but Children Of the Night: Vampires (late 2E) revealed that the Dark Powers had saved him, and he was still hunting other vampires in Ravenloft. The 3E Arthaus Ravenloft book Champions of Darkness had updated statistics for the character, but they were badly botched, like everything else in that book, and I think the canon status of Arthaus Ravenloft is still up in the air.

That's where I'm at. lol. same books, same lore.
Stones Finder Posted - 22 Apr 2020 : 05:28:45
As I recall, Vampire of the Mists was intended to end in Jander's destruction, but Children Of the Night: Vampires (late 2E) revealed that the Dark Powers had saved him, and he was still hunting other vampires in Ravenloft. The 3E Arthaus Ravenloft book Champions of Darkness had updated statistics for the character, but they were badly botched, like everything else in that book, and I think the canon status of Arthaus Ravenloft is still up in the air.
Delnyn Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 21:22:54
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

One of the things Ravenloft had, in 2E, was different vampires based on the original race. So a human vampire, an elven vampire, and a dwarven vampire would all be different.

Has this been done in any other edition?

Um, not to my knowledge though I don't see why it couldn't be added in. If I remember correctly, elven vampires couldn't physically touch fauna or else they instantly die or maybe that was Jander's curse specifically?

Yes it was. That is why Jander wore gloves.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 20:37:07
quote:

quote:

One of the things Ravenloft had, in 2E, was different vampires based on the original race. So a human vampire, an elven vampire, and a dwarven vampire would all be different.

Um, not to my knowledge though I don't see why it couldn't be added in. If I remember correctly, elven vampires couldn't physically touch fauna or else they instantly die or maybe that was Jander's curse specifically?

It's been a while since I read that particular MC, but I believe you are correct (except it was flora, not fauna). I seem to recall when reading it that I thought they had gotten the idea from Jander.

I don't recall the specifics for any of the others... Many, many moons have passed since I've had cause to pay any attention to Ravenloft.
Diffan Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 20:13:24
quote:

Um, not to my knowledge though I don't see why it couldn't be added in. If I remember correctly, elven vampires couldn't physically touch fauna flora or else they instantly die or maybe that was Jander's curse specifically?
Delnyn Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 18:37:56
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Back to the main topic about the poll. We like star elf bladesingers and Jander Sunstar.

How about we put this in 4e terms? Eladrin vampire multiclass swordmage/fighter.

Oohhh, now your speaking my lingo!! One of the things I really liked about 4E was how many different ways you could approach the concept. In this case, you can go a lot of different routes. Jander was a Sun Elf (thus an Eladrin in 4E). Vampirism can take many forms in this edition: the first is to tag on the Vampire Lord template from the DMG. This is mostly for just monsters though, but I've seen elements can just be given to the Player's character. The second is the Vampire class. It's...not written terribly well I'm afraid and suffers from a few aspects like making attacks from two separate ability scores. Good thing is that Eladrin get +2 to Cha, which is one of the two needed. So Eladrin Vampire is certainly easy to achieve.

Third (and my favorite) is the Vampire Heritage feats. This is made for people who want to have some vampire qualities BUT not all the terrible drawbacks.

So I'd say Eladrin Bladesinger (because it's a full 30 level class in 4E) with the Vampiric Heritage feat. Conversely you could do Eladrin Bladesinger (multiclass Vampire) and get roughly the same thing.

Man, now I wish the online character builder was still a thing to make this one up. Old-school free hand it is!

I'll just need to repurchase more of my old 4e books and I will take my own stab at an eladrin vampire bladesinger. I'll PM my draft when it is done.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 18:37:32
quote:

quote:

Back to the main topic about the poll. We like star elf bladesingers and Jander Sunstar.

How about we put this in 4e terms? Eladrin vampire multiclass swordmage/fighter.

Oohhh, now your speaking my lingo!! One of the things I really liked about 4E was how many different ways you could approach the concept. In this case, you can go a lot of different routes. Jander was a Sun Elf (thus an Eladrin in 4E). Vampirism can take many forms in this edition: the first is to tag on the Vampire Lord template from the DMG. This is mostly for just monsters though, but I've seen elements can just be given to the Player's character. The second is the Vampire class. It's...not written terribly well I'm afraid and suffers from a few aspects like making attacks from two separate ability scores. Good thing is that Eladrin get +2 to Cha, which is one of the two needed. So Eladrin Vampire is certainly easy to achieve.

Third (and my favorite) is the Vampire Heritage feats. This is made for people who want to have some vampire qualities BUT not all the terrible drawbacks.

So I'd say Eladrin Bladesinger (because it's a full 30 level class in 4E) with the Vampiric Heritage feat. Conversely you could do Eladrin Bladesinger (multiclass Vampire) and get roughly the same thing.

Man, now I wish the online character builder was still a thing to make this one up. Old-school free hand it is!

Diffan Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 17:56:51
quote:

Delnyn Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 16:40:50

My apologies to the Candlekeep community for taking the thread off track.
Diffan Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 15:26:22
quote:

I've not read the book in many years, but as I recall, it ends with him awaiting the sun -- the issue of his survival was not addressed.

Personally, given both his experiences and the nature of Ravenloft, I'd say that his destruction at that point was the best possible outcome.

As for him somehow getting pulled out of Ravenloft, I'm not familiar with that one. I do know, though, that at least in 2E, escape from Ravenloft was nearly impossible.

Reealms Wiki notes that in the Villains Lorebook that it 's possible the Mists of Ravenloft themselves blocked out the Sun's rays - saving Jander and teleported him to a place known as the Forlorn. I'm not familiar with this domain or what transpired there but safe to say that he ended up back on Toril in time for the Ride of Zariel in 1354 DR. Well, that's the canon anyways. I do agree that either killing him on Ravenloft would've been better than him somehow being frightened by the "terrors" of the Nine Hells made him abandon his company and lock them away in Avernus. I know that's what happened, I Just don't see Jander being a part of that.

Also, reading the adventure, it seems that after years of personal torment he pleaded with Lathander to save him and threw himself in front of the Sun but was spurned and sent to the Nine Hells instead. This poses a couple of issues for me: 1) Does this mean that his corporeal form was destroyed and that his soul was rejected by Lathander and sent to Avernus? 2) If so, doesn't Kelemvor have any say here? 3) The Wall of the Faithless is for people who are unclaimed by a patron deity, but what about those rejected? Does Lath have the power to banish people He deemed unworthy?

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to either resurrect Jander after you "free" him from Avernus. You stuff his ashes in a sack and bring it back to Toril then resurrect him. He becomes a fully fledged living Gold Elf (Fighter) again.

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I don't get why they used him here? Especially for none other than just a small reference and finalization of a long standing character? It does seem like they knew he was a name that would tie this into the Realms (however outlandishly) and that was somehow good?

I feel he deserved better

I very much agree with this.

If I was tasked with reusing Jander, I'd've had him destroyed by the sun in Ravenloft -- but then reincarnated in the Realms, by Lathander. Under no circumstances would I keep him as a vampire.

That's a good point. I just don't see Lathander portrayed as the kind of deity (all about renewal, rejuvenation, rebirth, etc) condemning a guy who's legitimately sorry for his actions - actions some of which were completely out of his control no doubt.

Also, Jander is a freaking vampire that could absolutely do well on the Plane of Avernus - especially with a nearly unlimited supply of food in the form of Demons (and he wouldn't even feel bad about killing them because....well DEMONS!). So him fearing for his unlife and trekking back to Toril and leaving everyone high and dry just doesn't add up.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 15:07:10
I just saw this on the FR wiki:

"After spending years filled with shame and agony for his decision, Jander once again decided to end his existence by facing the sun, pleading for Lathander's mercy. However, he was again denied release and was instead condemned to become a prisoner back in Avernus, there to be held captive by Haruman, one of only two generals who had never left Zariel's side and had been later turned into a narzugon. Jander was crucified and impaled on an iron tree at Haruman's Hill, while his body was kept functioning by the work of stirges that injected him with the blood of other companions who had met the same fate."

So, a loyal follower of the god of redemption and second chances, who'd been screwed over for centuries, asks his god for mercy, and his god tells him to go to Hell -- and then sends him there. Yeah, this makes sense.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 14:57:45
quote:

Thanks to Diffan for addressing my questions. I assumed Jander would hunt vampires in Faerun, not the Nine Hells. He indeed certainly deserved better.

As I recall, Jander's experience as a vampire hunter was mostly just being in the wrong place at the wrong time -- he was in Merrydale when a vampire infestation broke out.

However, given his experiences in Ravenloft, if he was somehow to return to life, I do see him becoming a vampire hunter at that point. He would feel he had a lot to atone for, and that his experiences would give him an advantage.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 14:51:10
quote:

quote:

If I may continue the Jander Sunstar tangent, how in the Nine Hells (pun intentional) did Jander leave the Demiplane of Dread in the first place?

In Canon, the ending of Vampire of the Mists is left vague and from what I remember, he somehow does survive the final moments of the book. Theory goes he was pulled from the demiplane before Ravenlofts sun destroyed him. Also, magic? We're talking about worlds where they teem with magic and mystery.

I've not read the book in many years, but as I recall, it ends with him awaiting the sun -- the issue of his survival was not addressed.

Personally, given both his experiences and the nature of Ravenloft, I'd say that his destruction at that point was the best possible outcome.

As for him somehow getting pulled out of Ravenloft, I'm not familiar with that one. I do know, though, that at least in 2E, escape from Ravenloft was nearly impossible.

quote:

Yeah, I don't get why they used him here? Especially for none other than just a small reference and finalization of a long standing character? It does seem like they knew he was a name that would tie this into the Realms (however outlandishly) and that was somehow good?

I very much agree with this.

If I was tasked with reusing Jander, I'd've had him destroyed by the sun in Ravenloft -- but then reincarnated in the Realms, by Lathander. Under no circumstances would I keep him as a vampire.
Delnyn Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 14:37:57
Thanks to Diffan for addressing my questions. I assumed Jander would hunt vampires in Faerun, not the Nine Hells. He indeed certainly deserved better.
Diffan Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 12:51:17
quote:

If I may continue the Jander Sunstar tangent, how in the Nine Hells (pun intentional) did Jander leave the Demiplane of Dread in the first place?

In Canon, the ending of Vampire of the Mists is left vague and from what I remember, he somehow does survive the final moments of the book. Theory goes he was pulled from the demiplane before Ravenlofts sun destroyed him. Also, magic? We're talking about worlds where they teem with magic and mystery.

quote:

Second, given that he returned to Faerun, what inspired the crusade of holy warriors to allow a vampire to join a crusade into the Nine Hells? Jander's mundane disguises I think would not fool the veteran clerics and paladins. Even Vampshoon could not fool Mirt in the least.

The Adventure goes on to say: "This elf warrior, cursed to an eternity of undeath, tried to redeem his corrupted soul by swearing to hunt down his own kind. Later, he volunteered to join Zariel on her crusade
into the Nine Hells."

So it's likely they knew what he was when he joined up, especially with Zariel still am angel before her fall. As for the time frame, I'm not sure when the events of her going to Avernus with the adventures happened in Realms Canon?

quote:

Third, wasn't he more interested in restoring himself as a living elf and killing other vampires in the meantime?

That is mentioned yes, though I don't know how many vampires are lurking in the Nine Hells? Not many, if at all, I would assume. Perhaps he took on the quest to help redeem his soul and look good in the eyes of a Solar?

quote:

Going by Occam's Razor, I don't go for the Jander cameo. It smacks of name-dropping for the sake of name-dropping.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 11:11:34
quote:

If I may continue the Jander Sunstar tangent, how in the Nine Hells (pun intentional) did Jander leave the Demiplane of Dread in the first place? Second, given that he returned to Faerun, what inspired the crusade of holy warriors to allow a vampire to join a crusade into the Nine Hells? Jander's mundane disguises I think would not fool the veteran clerics and paladins. Even Vampshoon could not fool Mirt in the least. Third, wasn't he more interested in restoring himself as a living elf and killing other vampires in the meantime?

Going by Occam's Razor, I don't go for the Jander cameo. It smacks of name-dropping for the sake of name-dropping.

All this. If I was to run this adventure, I'd totally leave out the Jander part, too, because of all the reasons you cite.

It's like what they did with Ras Nsi in the Chult book -- "Hey, let's take something from prior lore, bind, spindle, and mutilate it, and then include it here!"
LordofBones Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 08:39:09
Chronologically Zariel should have been a Lord of the Nine longer than what 5e allowed, so it's basically the dev team throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks.

Jander, Zariel, Mordenkainen et all are just the poor sods stuck with the fallout.
Delnyn Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 08:13:41
If I may continue the Jander Sunstar tangent, how in the Nine Hells (pun intentional) did Jander leave the Demiplane of Dread in the first place? Second, given that he returned to Faerun, what inspired the crusade of holy warriors to allow a vampire to join a crusade into the Nine Hells? Jander's mundane disguises I think would not fool the veteran clerics and paladins. Even Vampshoon could not fool Mirt in the least. Third, wasn't he more interested in restoring himself as a living elf and killing other vampires in the meantime?

LordofBones Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 06:23:18
So if they know that, why would they want to resurrect him?

Also, assuming they have a Bard in the party.

It's a terrible death but 5e turned him into a fear struck coward that caused an angel to become one of the Lords of the Nine. Leaving him dead is a mercy.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 05:55:22
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Jander Sunstar would not exactly be a household name. In universe, whoever who knew of him would definitely treat him with contempt, since 5e establishes that he abandoned Zariel to Baator, then tried to commit suicide.

And failed.

Again.

Evidently, the universe exists to make Jander's life miserable.

Any 13'th level bard would know this.
LordofBones Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 05:31:47
Jander Sunstar would not exactly be a household name. In universe, whoever who knew of him would definitely treat him with contempt, since 5e establishes that he abandoned Zariel to Baator, then tried to commit suicide.

And failed.

Again.

Evidently, the universe exists to make Jander's life miserable.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 05:11:45
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

The small problem being that the adventure is from levels 1-13, and in character, the pcs would have no idea who he is.

It is a good idea for a side quest for a cleric of Lathander or Velsharoon. Playing as a Lathanderite, you receive a vision of Janders ashes being scattered in a temple and his mortal spirit being freed, as a Velsharan, your god sends you a vision of a blank eyed elf vampire standing alone in a crypt, the crowned skull seared upon his chest like a brand.

Why do you assume the PC's have no clue? LMAO! Like really? So from level 1 to 13 they are blind and deaf and clueless? I'd hate to play a PC in your game. Sounds like you just roll and die. No questions asked.

By-passing the insane, single-minded approach LOB just gave you... The PC's would TOTALLY know who he is. Any bard in any tavern could sing you that tune. For F's sake. We're dealing with amateurs here.

Nostrovia.

Diffan Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 04:37:23
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

That is STUPID.

I agree, 100% Hence why I'd give my players the opportunity to save him. While I don't know if full redemption is possible with the way be could be saved here, it certainly is something that i wouldn't say is impossible down the road.
Brimstone Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 03:54:28
quote:

What happens to Jandar is written below so spoilers if you plan on playing through the Decent into Avernus adventure.

Unfortunately he finally meets his demise, we now learn, in the events of the the Decent into Avernus 5E Adventure. You come across a crucified Jandar as he is impaled on this iron-tree thing. He says he's sorry for abandoning his company of Hell Riders and that's why he was there. The adventure says that no matter what you do, he dissipates into nothing and is lost. To me, I hate this. I really do because he was a really cool character that deserved better. So if/when I run this adventure, I'll most likely give the PCs the option to "heal" him by freely giving up points from the Hit Die to let him drink from. This restores him, albeit slowly, to his old self and he's allowed to either join with them (and all the issues that come with having a Vampire companion) or he can be dismissed and he returns to Faerūn on his own.

That is STUPID.
LordofBones Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 03:08:48
The small problem being that the adventure is from levels 1-13, and in character, the pcs would have no idea who he is.

It is a good idea for a side quest for a cleric of Lathander or Velsharoon. Playing as a Lathanderite, you receive a vision of Janders ashes being scattered in a temple and his mortal spirit being freed, as a Velsharan, your god sends you a vision of a blank eyed elf vampire standing alone in a crypt, the crowned skull seared upon his chest like a brand.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 02:50:42
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Went with Elven Vampire cause you gotta respect my man Jander Sunstar.

Dapp! Wasn't he the elf that was somehow thrown into Ravenloft? Didn't he bring a legendary weapon with him? Or am I thinking something else?Great choice.

Jandar was an elf turned to Vampirism in Merrydale, what later became known as Daggerdale after the vampire infestation. He later destroyed his vampire master and then made his way to Waterdeep. It was here that he found a peculiar woman in an insane asylum he had been using to feed from. He was pulled into the Mists and transposed into Ravenloft.

Christie Golden had quite a few really good Short Stories about him in the various Anthologies of the Realms - ususally with him spurning his Vampiric heritage and doing the right thing despite the costs.

What happens to Jandar is written below so spoilers if you plan on playing through the Decent into Avernus adventure.

Unfortunately he finally meets his demise, we now learn, in the events of the the Decent into Avernus 5E Adventure. You come across a crucified Jandar as he is impaled on this iron-tree thing. He says he's sorry for abandoning his company of Hell Riders and that's why he was there. The adventure says that no matter what you do, he dissipates into nothing and is lost. To me, I hate this. I really do because he was a really cool character that deserved better. So if/when I run this adventure, I'll most likely give the PCs the option to "heal" him by freely giving up points from the Hit Die to let him drink from. This restores him, albeit slowly, to his old self and he's allowed to either join with them (and all the issues that come with having a Vampire companion) or he can be dismissed and he returns to Faerūn on his own.

Or you can slay him and then true resurrect him. Or you can cast a Wish spell, or if you're a Cleric a Miracle spell. Soooo many ways to keep him in the world as you want it.
Diffan Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 00:50:27
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Went with Elven Vampire cause you gotta respect my man Jander Sunstar.

Dapp! Wasn't he the elf that was somehow thrown into Ravenloft? Didn't he bring a legendary weapon with him? Or am I thinking something else?Great choice.

Jandar was an elf turned to Vampirism in Merrydale, what later became known as Daggerdale after the vampire infestation. He later destroyed his vampire master and then made his way to Waterdeep. It was here that he found a peculiar woman in an insane asylum he had been using to feed from. He was pulled into the Mists and transposed into Ravenloft.

Christie Golden had quite a few really good Short Stories about him in the various Anthologies of the Realms - ususally with him spurning his Vampiric heritage and doing the right thing despite the costs.

Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 20 Apr 2020 : 22:40:18
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

What’s a whisperknife?

A Halfling Rogue type character that embodies several different disciplines of fighting. Mostly dagger tossing with SLA's and assassin flourishes.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000