Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 3rd ed Campaign Setting front cover symbol

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KanzenAU Posted - 26 Jun 2017 : 10:41:00
Hi all, what's the symbol on the front cover of the 3rd ed FR Campaign Setting mean? I feel like I knew this at one point but for the life of me I can't find the information.

I know what the text means thanks to Sean K Reynolds's blog, but the symbol I have no idea.

Help?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 29 Jun 2017 : 21:45:16
I did something similar for my Red Book of Spell Strategy. I filled the borders of the page with various Faerunian language translations of some of the Red Knight's documented mottos, as well as the Thayan alavairthae translation.
TomCosta Posted - 29 Jun 2017 : 03:25:43
Oops, my bad. Obviously didn't read closely enough. Sorry.
KanzenAU Posted - 28 Jun 2017 : 01:21:17
Haha I linked to that above Tom!
Was mainly wondering about the symbology.
TomCosta Posted - 28 Jun 2017 : 01:19:17
And in fact, he did.... http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/we/frcs_cover_translation.html

"If you've seen the cover of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, you know it has writing in Dethek (Dwarven) and Espruar (Elven) script on the cover. Well, that writing actually means something--I think it was Rich Baker and I that came up with those phrases and had the graphic designers use the WotC Dethek and Espruar fonts to "translate" them, along with some numbers to fill in some of the gaps in the circle.

Enough people ask about what the words mean that I thought I'd post it here. The funny thing is that I lost my original record of the text (it was an email exchange between Rich and I), so I have to rely on the reverse-translation by Brian D. Gute, who wrote down letter-by-letter what the messages mean. Here they are:

Dethek: The secret fires of our hearts burn with the memory of wars lost and heroes slain, but like the stone from which we came, we endure

Espruar: We remember cities* now in ruin and forests murdered, yet still we sing to the stars and hope for renewal.

*There's actually no letter "C" in Espruar, so on the cover it's spelled "sities.""
TomCosta Posted - 28 Jun 2017 : 01:04:50
I swear it was explained at one time (I think by Sean Reynolds), but for the life of me I can't recall.
farinal Posted - 27 Jun 2017 : 16:16:39
I never thought about the text on the cover. Wow that's so cool.
KanzenAU Posted - 27 Jun 2017 : 02:10:22
I'm sure that's true, but when you mash images together you generally mash them together for a reason. Any clue on what that reason is (or even on the individual smaller images) would be appreciated.
hashimashadoo Posted - 27 Jun 2017 : 02:07:20
It's not just one symbol, it's lots of them combined into one image.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000