Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 3rd ed Campaign Setting front cover symbol
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2017 :  10:41:00  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all, what's the symbol on the front cover of the 3rd ed FR Campaign Setting mean? I feel like I knew this at one point but for the life of me I can't find the information.

I know what the text means thanks to Sean K Reynolds's blog, but the symbol I have no idea.

Help?

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2017 :  02:07:20  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not just one symbol, it's lots of them combined into one image.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2017 :  02:10:22  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure that's true, but when you mash images together you generally mash them together for a reason. Any clue on what that reason is (or even on the individual smaller images) would be appreciated.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2017 :  16:16:39  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never thought about the text on the cover. Wow that's so cool.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2017 :  01:04:50  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I swear it was explained at one time (I think by Sean Reynolds), but for the life of me I can't recall.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2017 :  01:19:17  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And in fact, he did.... http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/we/frcs_cover_translation.html

"If you've seen the cover of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, you know it has writing in Dethek (Dwarven) and Espruar (Elven) script on the cover. Well, that writing actually means something--I think it was Rich Baker and I that came up with those phrases and had the graphic designers use the WotC Dethek and Espruar fonts to "translate" them, along with some numbers to fill in some of the gaps in the circle.

Enough people ask about what the words mean that I thought I'd post it here. The funny thing is that I lost my original record of the text (it was an email exchange between Rich and I), so I have to rely on the reverse-translation by Brian D. Gute, who wrote down letter-by-letter what the messages mean. Here they are:

Dethek: The secret fires of our hearts burn with the memory of wars lost and heroes slain, but like the stone from which we came, we endure

Espruar: We remember cities* now in ruin and forests murdered, yet still we sing to the stars and hope for renewal.

*There's actually no letter "C" in Espruar, so on the cover it's spelled "sities.""
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2017 :  01:21:17  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha I linked to that above Tom!
Was mainly wondering about the symbology.

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2017 :  03:25:43  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops, my bad. Obviously didn't read closely enough. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2017 :  21:45:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did something similar for my Red Book of Spell Strategy. I filled the borders of the page with various Faerunian language translations of some of the Red Knight's documented mottos, as well as the Thayan alavairthae translation.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000