Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lost gods of the Realms not mentioned.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shadowsoul Posted - 01 Mar 2016 : 17:05:32
Are there any lost gods of the Realms that really haven't been mentioned in the source books?

I want to say I read somewhere you can find temple throughout the Realms dedicated to lost gods. Not sure but I believe I read that somewhere.

Do you lads have any knowledge of old and ancient gods that are now gone but really weren't mentioned in the source books?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LordofBones Posted - 16 Mar 2016 : 09:53:31
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Evrat

"or" mean it's just a speculation... there is a big gap between a Paladin and a demon... so, who knows exactly.

No, one source says one thing, another says something else... And it's not wholly irreconcilable, anyway. I have previously theorized that Xvim's mom was a tiefling paladin. She was seduced and impregnated by Bane, and his power and evil inside her was enough to "awaken" the fiendish blood in her, pushing her (maybe with Bane's help) all the way to full-on fiend-dom.

And now I really want to see life in the Black Lord's household, with Bane trying to introduce Xvim to greater acts of Evil, while Xvim's mum puts her foot down and declares that Xvim's too young for anything more than torturing some silly CG rebel; what if her baby boy actually gets hurt by a +5 holy longsword?
Evrat Posted - 16 Mar 2016 : 07:15:31
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

There's loree on Kiputyttyo? Everything I've read implies that she predates the Dark Trinity and was slain before Bane rose to power. As for Xvim, his mother being a demon is arguably more fitting. Admittedly I don't see Bane actually fathering him but more like creating him as a contingency plan.

Though the idea of Xvim being a colossal mummy's boy is kind of hilarious.

No, Kiputytto is "officialy" dead in -33DR in the fall city of Asram while fighting Talona.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Mar 2016 : 01:03:47
quote:

"or" mean it's just a speculation... there is a big gap between a Paladin and a demon... so, who knows exactly.

No, one source says one thing, another says something else... And it's not wholly irreconcilable, anyway. I have previously theorized that Xvim's mom was a tiefling paladin. She was seduced and impregnated by Bane, and his power and evil inside her was enough to "awaken" the fiendish blood in her, pushing her (maybe with Bane's help) all the way to full-on fiend-dom.
LordofBones Posted - 16 Mar 2016 : 00:21:58
There's loree on Kiputyttyo? Everything I've read implies that she predates the Dark Trinity and was slain before Bane rose to power. As for Xvim, his mother being a demon is arguably more fitting. Admittedly I don't see Bane actually fathering him but more like creating him as a contingency plan.

Though the idea of Xvim being a colossal mummy's boy is kind of hilarious.
Evrat Posted - 15 Mar 2016 : 14:44:05
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Mar 2016 : 12:33:44
quote:

Of course but there are also some few FR lores related her to Bane in the Realms. So I decided to involve her in Bane/Myrkul/Bhaal ascent to divinity.

Former slave/teacher of Myrkul and few millennary later, mother of Xvim.

Xvim's mother was either a paladin or a demon. The lore disagrees.
Evrat Posted - 15 Mar 2016 : 10:33:54
Of course but there are also some few FR lores related her to Bane in the Realms. So I decided to involve her in Bane/Myrkul/Bhaal ascent to divinity.

Former slave/teacher of Myrkul and few millennary later, mother of Xvim.
LordofBones Posted - 15 Mar 2016 : 09:49:57
Kiputytto is a Finnish goddess and an old friend of Loviatar.

Also, she's hideously ugly.
Evrat Posted - 15 Mar 2016 : 08:39:38
I rose dead Kiputytto in my Realms in a fight for power between Bane and his son around 700DR (in Westgate of course...). She came in Toril thousands years ago from Earth with the Mulan people as a powerful sorceress/alchemist and became Myrkul's slave and lover as Prince of Murghom, and taught him Necromancy... and the way to steal divinity from gods themselves. Then she fought Talona and disappear in a half-plan of her own creation few seconds before her death in a half stasis condition... waiting for her wakening.

I created her closed to Akasha character, the vampire from Anne Rice novel
LordofBones Posted - 12 Mar 2016 : 04:19:25
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

I see the Lord of Bones is still carrying the standard for Orcus ...

Anyway, for whatever reason, the designers of late 3E and 4E decided that Orcus had to be there. Even their fellows over at Paizo had a soft spot for him and so he inhabits their Abyss as well.

As for Kiaransalee, the most relevant and detailed info on her can still be found in Demihuman Deities, out of which most online info will come.

I bowed out of D&D at the eve before 4E and all that happened to the Realms after that, so that is for other sages to detail. I did note that she is listed again as a deity in 5E.

I have no particular like or dislike for Orcus, but his death was detailed in 2e. He also barely has a presence in Paizo; Demogorgon's there too but no mention of him is made outside BotD2.

I prefer Myrkul and Velsharoon, by far.
Irennan Posted - 11 Mar 2016 : 16:42:48
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

I bowed out of D&D at the eve before 4E and all that happened to the Realms after that, so that is for other sages to detail. I did note that she is listed again as a deity in 5E.

She is back. The whole Dark Seldarine has returned, more or less as before, except that Eilistraee&Vhaeraun are no longer enemies (despite their striking differences).
Zanan Posted - 11 Mar 2016 : 16:37:57
I see the Lord of Bones is still carrying the standard for Orcus ...

Anyway, for whatever reason, the designers of late 3E and 4E decided that Orcus had to be there. Even their fellows over at Paizo had a soft spot for him and so he inhabits their Abyss as well.

As for Kiaransalee, the most relevant and detailed info on her can still be found in Demihuman Deities, out of which most online info will come.

LordofBones Posted - 07 Mar 2016 : 12:36:21
Another way to reconcile the two deities?

Araunshee went nuts and was booted out of Arborea, and fell into the Abyss. Lolth, by then already a demon lord on the verge of ascending to godhood, saw a way to get her grubby little fingers into Faerun and devoured the fallen goddess. Kiaransalee was later heard swearing so much that her minions' ears imploded, then went off to murder Orcus in part to settle her grudge and in part to subsume Orcus's worship to counter her new boss.

It didn't quite work out when he came back, and now she lives in perpetual terror of him pulling out her rotting innards through her nose.
Irennan Posted - 05 Mar 2016 : 14:26:48
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder
It's the "removing the endless strife" part that contains an implicit fallacy. Lolthites explicitly promote more strife, but it does not follow that if they'd stop doing so, strife would all go away and the drow would somehow become more competitive than surface elves, humans and dwarves.
If no one stirs the cauldron, sure, it will certainly become calmer for a while. But then it may blow up - like in Bhaerynden. Or foul up and result in a far worse perpetual stinking mess - like in Llurth Dreier.
What would they do with lesser level of strife? We know what - and so do themselves. If you look at the drow laws in context of the lessons they must have learned, such as formation of the Great Rift, it all becomes makes perfect sense. Drow Community Survival Rule #1 is simple: "never allow the place to be split between two major parties, pulling others after themselves into an escalating conflict". Whenever the drow fail to keep the balance of power from approaching this state, they risk extinction. Example: Menzoberranzan narrowly avoided destruction in Nasadra vs. S'sril war, Yvonnel Baenre got her position (and longevity) for stopping it.
Sshamath managed to escape the "stirred pot" state without much risk, but this required a set of "lucky coincidences" that in retrospect looks like cooperation between Lolth and Mystra starting more than 100 years before the final turn, giving both main shares in a prosperous city instead of losing it to smoking ruin or Llurth Dreier grade hellhole.

You make interesting and valid points. I'd say that the rule#1 applies to any society (if you have two factions leading others in what basically is a civil war, it won't go well for the settlement), and even more so to the drow, because of their higher tendency to engage in that kind of conflicts, which is also a product of Lolth's dogma. However, I think that the point was a different one, and described an hypothetical situation more than a real development. If the drow had a different kind of culture and mindset, rather than that forced by Lolth, and were capable of consistently work together--both to overcome the challenges posed by their environment and to face their enemies--, limit waste of resources (including ''human'' resources) and so on, they would be much more successful, and would have probably reduced their enemies (at least in the areas near their settlements) to a non-threat.

I agree that, in order to actually bring such a change, starting from the lolthite drow's current state, a strong influence would be needed to steer them away from the ''stirring pot'' situation.

quote:

Which returns us to the subject of lost gods - Sshamath has cult of Malyk, god of wild magic and rebellion (actually aspect of Talos), and small sect of "newly discovered" drow powers who likewise are masks of the Seldarine.
Is anything known about this?

I wasn't aware of this, but it makes for a really interesting situation, especially considering what their relationship with the actual drow deities could be.
TBeholder Posted - 05 Mar 2016 : 13:50:50
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Well, it could have happened *after* the whole betrayal thing. Araushnee could still be a dark elven goddess turned into a demon, working for her revenge against the elves, and to make the drow actually prosper and gain their ''rightful'' place in Toril. In that case, some sort of insane demon that ''ate'' her wouldn't be whitewashing.

Which is why "looks like". I mean, to think of it in context, it's probably the case, but something contrived on the level of "the plays of William Shakespeare were not written by William Shakespeare but by another man with the same name" isn't the most obvious possibility to me.

quote:
quote:
While this indeed seems to be obvious, changing this state to a less disastrous one - let alone conquest that would succeed and "stick" - is not necessarily possible. For one, there's Great Rift on this way.

Removing the endless strife from their society is pretty much granted to at least improve their situation, and give them a chance to actually develop.

It's the "removing the endless strife" part that contains an implicit fallacy. Lolthites explicitly promote more strife, but it does not follow that if they'd stop doing so, strife would all go away and the drow would somehow become more competitive than surface elves, humans and dwarves.
If no one stirs the cauldron, sure, it will certainly become calmer for a while. But then it may blow up - like in Bhaerynden. Or foul up and result in a far worse perpetual stinking mess - like in Llurth Dreier.
What would they do with lesser level of strife? We know what - and so do themselves. If you look at the drow laws in context of the lessons they must have learned, such as formation of the Great Rift, it all becomes makes perfect sense. Drow Community Survival Rule #1 is simple: "never allow the place to be split between two major parties, pulling others after themselves into an escalating conflict". Whenever the drow fail to keep the balance of power from approaching this state, they risk extinction. Example: Menzoberranzan narrowly avoided destruction in Nasadra vs. S'sril war, Yvonnel Baenre got her position (and longevity) for stopping it.
Sshamath managed to escape the "stirred pot" state without much risk, but this required a set of "lucky coincidences" that in retrospect looks like cooperation between Lolth and Mystra starting more than 100 years before the final turn, giving both main shares in a prosperous city instead of losing it to smoking ruin or Llurth Dreier grade hellhole.

Which returns us to the subject of lost gods - Sshamath has cult of Malyk, god of wild magic and rebellion (actually aspect of Talos) - who quickly wound up as outlaws. There are also small sects of other "newly discovered" drow powers... who likewise are masks of the Seldarine.
Is anything more known about this?
sleyvas Posted - 05 Mar 2016 : 11:41:41
quote:

quote:

What says that Kiaransalee even knew about Lolth? The planes are a really big place - it's not like every single deity is going to automatically know the power level and portfolios of every single powerful entity out there.

They were at odds in Elaine's Evermeet, IIRC.

Yeah, some of the earliest parts of that book mention Kiaransalee... maybe even before they start mentioning Araushnee. Either way, its around the time that the elves are forming societies in Toril.
Wrigley Posted - 05 Mar 2016 : 09:00:05
I have linked Crown wars as direct reflection to the diefic power grab. Araushnee was a wife of Corellion they had a daughter Ellistrae. She was corrupted by Wendonai and had a son Vhaerun with Fenmarel who she persuaded to help her with Corellion. They failed their coup only due to intervention of remaining goddess of Seldarine (fusing into Angharradh) who saved Corellion. They then removed Araushnee from Arvandor making her domainless and she ended due to her nature in Abyss. There she defeated that Z. demon lord and took his domain. She then tricked her grandson Selvetarm into devouring remains of that demon lord to corrupt him and made former moonelven goddes Kieranselee undead after she defeated her to bound her son Vhaerun who loved Kieranselee. Elistrea followed by herself to stay true to her dogma as goddess of dark elves who got drow-ed in the meantime in Realms. She also made alliance with Ghaunadaur and got her maidens from him (he is the leech).
Strangely nobody banshed Fenmarel who is presumed to be only a victim of Loths corruption and left as Seldarine.

That is my version and it differs a little from cannon.
Aulduron Posted - 05 Mar 2016 : 04:19:05
quote:
At what point? Was this after Lolth had become a deity?

Without re-reading the book, I'm under the impression that Lolth was not yet a deity at this point. I know that she hadn't yet discovered Toril. It happened when an elf, with the dagger Ka Narlist had given to Shalario chased a demon to the Abyss. Lolth noticed the dagger and followed the magic to Ka Narlist, and decided that he would make a fine consort. I am under the impression that the subsequent worship of her, by the Ilythiri is what made her a God again.

Kiransalee found the elf first and directed her toward her goal, because she didn't like Lolth.
Irennan Posted - 04 Mar 2016 : 20:10:50
quote:

"No way, Elves couldn't slaughter the innocents, someone must have duped/mind-controlled/possessed them, or those weren't innocents, or those are badwrong Elves and don't count" and "A shiny Elven goddess couldn't fall so low - she must have been eaten by something else" can be easily sung on the same melody, IMHO.

Well, it could have happened *after* the whole betrayal thing. Araushnee could still be a dark elven goddess turned into a demon, working for her revenge against the elves, and to make the drow actually prosper and gain their ''rightful'' place in Toril. In that case, some sort of insane demon that ''ate'' her wouldn't be whitewashing.

quote:
quote:

It says that the constant strife in their society likely is the only factor that prevents them from taking over all the other races in the Underdark. And we know that such strife basically is the main tenet in Lolth's dogma.

While this indeed seems to be obvious, changing this state to a less disastrous one - let alone conquest that would succeed and "stick" - is not necessarily possible. For one, there's Great Rift on this way.

Removing the endless strife from their society is pretty much granted to at least improve their situation, and give them a chance to actually develop.
TBeholder Posted - 04 Mar 2016 : 19:59:56
quote:

quote:
As far as most mortals are concerned, Elemental Lords are gods. And for all intent and purpose they are - except it's a "second job" to them.
Then there's Lady of Pain, who put a lot of effort into not becoming a goddess...
The Lady does not grant spells and brutally slaughtered the last idiot god who tried to subvert her dabus.
She has a habit of flaying alive everyone who tries to worship her in Sigil. Which means this matters. Whether you accept Pages of Pain as canon or not, the theory that this would interfere with keeping gods out of Sigil is simply the most obvious.
quote:
The Lords of the Nine and many demon princes are not gods, and yet they grant spells. Anthraxus is not a god, and he grants spells despite being one of the godless yugoloths.
Yup. Thus, there are all sorts of powers, combining traits in various ways, and such designations tell more about their allegiances and modus operandi than their nature.
quote:
quote:
And this makes more sense?
Uh...it's FR canon that Corellon named Araushnee tanar'ri and cast her into the Abyss, where she became a tana'ri lord who then clawed back to godhood.

Banishment is one thing, stripping someone of divinity without killing may be a bit trickier, or every big scary deity would do so now and then. Since she ended up among the Abyssal Lords, it looks like she was still a power, just cut off from pantheon (which is what gives clerics some advantages over speciality priests) and probably had her followers converted or excommunicated (until this point they were part of Seldarine worshippers).
The part where dark elves of a later age knew where to apply, but didn't have set form for worship means they played it by old memories/legends/records - if this was an active recruitment, her messengers could simply tell the converts what she likes. But if worship of Araushnee didn't vanish tracelessly, can we be sure it didn't continue in the cellars all this time? There were humans following gods presumed dead on Faerun with its crowd of deities, why should we assume the elves (usually more inclined to stick to their ways, violently if that's what it takes) all as one abandoned their ancestral goddess?

quote:
quote:
With Lolth and Araushnee the Weaver being two entirely different entities connected in undefined way, it's not "the official lore", it's your cherry-picked subset of the official lore.

Again, FR canon that Araushnee became Lolth.
Yup.
quote:
Kiaransalee [...] could've shanked Lolth, made off with her portfolio and then masqueraded as her, but somehow she didn't.
Why would she do so?
Even if she had anything at all against Araushnee - which is not certain - others could simply fail to connect the latter with this specific Abyssal Lord, exactly because she was not only banished, but transformed and assumed new name.
So why Kiaransalee would gamble and try to "shank" a random new Abyssal Lord, rather than keep an eye on the neighbours and known enemies while expanding her existing power base?
And when everyone found out who is this Lolth and what she's up to - it was too late.

quote:
quote:
Also, do we know when exactly Kiaransalee ascended? Possibly later, so it's only Vhaeraun. And what would he do without mommy dear, stand against the Seldarine on his own?
[...] Kiaransalee ascended

Okay, but why would Vhaeraun (or anyone) want to rely on her as an ally? And as a decoy she wasn't going to become more useful any time soon. With Lolth still around, Vhaeraun was at most second-rate threat to Seldarine even if they notice he's up to some shenanigans. Why would he move against her before he was confident both in his power base, and in the Seldarine weakening? And back then we can assume also suffered loss of power for his part in the attempted coup.
quote:
quote:
How so?

The male drow.
While female drow are happy dancing? Conversely, there are male drow mostly left alone despite being high profile and shocking level of transgressions, in whom she presumably found something to her liking (IIRC there were musings about Drizzt and Jarlaxle getting it "easy" specifically due to their relationship with chaos).
quote:
Truly, a goddess being corrupted by a demon prince who then eats her is 'whitewashing'.

"No way, Elves couldn't slaughter the innocents, someone must have duped/mind-controlled/possessed them, or those weren't innocents, or those are badwrong Elves and don't count" and "A shiny Elven goddess couldn't fall so low - she must have been eaten by something else" can be easily sung on the same melody, IMHO.

quote:

It says that the constant strife in their society likely is the only factor that prevents them from taking over all the other races in the Underdark. And we know that such strife basically is the main tenet in Lolth's dogma.

Irennan Posted - 04 Mar 2016 : 15:23:22
quote:

quote:

quote:

What says that Kiaransalee even knew about Lolth? The planes are a really big place - it's not like every single deity is going to automatically know the power level and portfolios of every single powerful entity out there.

My memory is foggy, but I think happened before Lolth became interested in the world of Toril, so I guess pre-deity.

quote:

And demon lords and such are still pretty freaking powerful, and not necessarily a pushover for a deity -- if they were, we wouldn't have any demon lords.

Sure, wasn't discussing this. At the end of the day, they're all incredibily poweful creatures. When it comes to them, ''Power level measurements'' are rather meaningless IMO, and they kind of kill the fun and bring all sorts of problems (like ''why doesn't X wipe Y, who is their enemy and far less powerful than them?'').
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Mar 2016 : 15:16:14
quote:

quote:

And demon lords and such are still pretty freaking powerful, and not necessarily a pushover for a deity -- if they were, we wouldn't have any demon lords.
Irennan Posted - 04 Mar 2016 : 14:06:24
quote:

quote:
Setting that aside, even in ''The Drow of the Underdark'' it is explicitly stated that, if it wasn't for Lolth's dogma, they would likely be in a far better situation (like dominating the Underdark).

Worded exactly how?

Irennan Posted - 04 Mar 2016 : 13:36:06
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Mar 2016 : 13:15:19
quote:

Again, FR canon that Araushnee became Lolth. Kiaransalee isn't a Faerunian god, she's a multispheric deity and started off as a mortal drow that turned her home world into a necropolis, then ascended to godhood. If anything, she's actually older than the FR Lolth and was a demigoddess when Lolth was cast down as an Abyssal Prince.

She could've shanked Lolth, made off with her portfolio and then masqueraded as her, but somehow she didn't.

LordofBones Posted - 04 Mar 2016 : 11:43:30
quote:
As far as most mortals are concerned, Elemental Lords are gods. And for all intent and purpose they are - except it's a "second job" to them.
Then there's Lady of Pain, who put a lot of effort into not becoming a goddess...

The Lady does not grant spells and brutally slaughtered the last idiot god who tried to subvert her dabus.

The Lords of the Nine and many demon princes are not gods, and yet they grant spells. Anthraxus is not a god, and he grants spells despite being one of the godless yugoloths.

quote:
Does this fit any particular version? And it's not a complete picture on its own, since the halves are not connected - you just let the tracks dissolve in bushes when they approach the same issue of "merging" from either side.

There was a Lolth that was the Demon Queen of Spiders and patron of the drow. Araushnee's first appearance came much later, and the drow creation tale that stars her is pretty exclusive to the Realms.

So either Araushnee fell and became Lolth, or there was a Lolth and there was an Araushnee, and one subsumed the other, or there was a Lolth and Araushnee was just a disguise made for trolling Corellon.

quote:

Uh...it's FR canon that Corellon named Araushnee tanar'ri and cast her into the Abyss, where she became a tana'ri lord who then clawed back to godhood. So was Orcus, it's not like there wasn't precedent.

quote:
With Lolth and Araushnee the Weaver being two entirely different entities connected in undefined way, it's not "the official lore", it's your cherry-picked subset of the official lore.

Again, FR canon that Araushnee became Lolth. Kiaransalee isn't a Faerunian god, she's a multispheric deity and started off as a mortal drow that turned her home world into a necropolis, then ascended to godhood. If anything, she's actually older than the FR Lolth and was a demigoddess when Lolth was cast down as an Abyssal Prince.

She could've shanked Lolth, made off with her portfolio and then masqueraded as her, but somehow she didn't.

quote:
Also, do we know when exactly Kiaransalee ascended? Possibly later, so it's only Vhaeraun. And what would he do without mommy dear, stand against the Seldarine on his own?

According to Wiki, Kiaransalee ascended 30,000 years ago and was already a power when the FR legends state Lolth fell as a demon prince.

quote:
How so?

The male drow.

quote:
I don't like it, but it took me a little while to pinpoint why: essentially, because this looks like yet another whitewashing of the elves. Nope, they aren't fuzzy and cuddly, nor are their gods.

Truly, a goddess being corrupted by a demon prince who then eats her is 'whitewashing'.

Corellon isn't perfect, but he's not malicious. Araushnee is specific to the Forgotten Realms, while Monster Mythology paints a very different version of the drow exodus to the Underdark.

And it's worth noting that the Lord of the Seldarine is a war god in addition to his other portfolios. There's nothing light or fuzzy about the guy who beat the snot out of Gruumsh.
TBeholder Posted - 04 Mar 2016 : 06:29:34
quote:

quote:
quote:
despite treating half her servant race like crap.

How so?
C'mon, all the crap that the drow are forced to take since childhood is due to her dogma being enforced by her clergy.
I mean, why "half"?
quote:
Setting that aside, even in ''The Drow of the Underdark'' it is explicitly stated that, if it wasn't for Lolth's dogma, they would likely be in a far better situation (like dominating the Underdark).

Worded exactly how?

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I never once thought of it that way... that Araushnee was a separate entity from Lolth. I always did the whole "she was cast out and took on a new name". However, that puts a spin on it that I'm not sure if I do or don't like....

I don't like it, but it took me a little while to pinpoint why: essentially, because this looks like yet another whitewashing of the elves. Nope, they aren't fuzzy and cuddly, nor are their gods.
sleyvas Posted - 04 Mar 2016 : 01:50:17
quote:

Being able to grant spells isn't a trait exclusive to deities. Deities tend to be born and/or sustained from mortal devotion and belief while planar lords aren't.

Lolth started out as a tanar'ri and only became a fallen deity in the Forgotten Realms, detailed in Elves of Evermeet. Whether the tanar'ri Lolth corrupted Corellon's wife and the two merged is anyone's guess even though officially the Weaver was stripped of her divinity and became the Abyssal Prince Lolth.

The official lore then paints the drow pantheon as being really dumb, since Kiaransalee and Vhaeraun should've shanked her then. There's precedent since Kiaransalee murdered Orcus.

Then Lolth became a goddess again, despite treating half her servant race like crap.

You know.... I never once thought of it that way... that Araushnee was a separate entity from Lolth. I always did the whole "she was cast out and took on a new name". However, that puts a spin on it that I'm not sure if I do or don't like.... but its at least an option I hadn't considered.
Irennan Posted - 03 Mar 2016 : 14:49:01
quote:

quote:

How so?

C'mon, all the crap that the drow are forced to take since childhood is due to her dogma being enforced by her clergy. Setting that aside, even in ''The Drow of the Underdark'' it is explicitly stated that, if it wasn't for Lolth's dogma, they would likely be in a far better situation (like dominating the Underdark).

quote:
quote:

I have something similar in my Realms, but Araushnee was used and twisted, rather than eaten, and her mind was made numb and shattered in multiple conflicting shards, by Shar

It's the same "one MEGAVILLAIN behind EVERYTHING" pitfall into which Drizzt fans fall, only with Shar it's 3e version.

Yes, I know. But in my version of the setting, Shar isn't as prominent as she is in canon.
TBeholder Posted - 03 Mar 2016 : 14:32:46
quote:

Being able to grant spells isn't a trait exclusive to deities. Deities tend to be born and/or sustained from mortal devotion and belief while planar lords aren't.

quote:
Lolth started out as a tanar'ri and only became a fallen deity in the Forgotten Realms, detailed in Elves of Evermeet. Whether the tanar'ri Lolth corrupted Corellon's wife and the two merged is anyone's guess
Does this fit any particular version? And it's not a complete picture on its own, since the halves are not connected - you just let the tracks dissolve in bushes when they approach the same issue of "merging" from either side.
quote:
even though officially the Weaver was stripped of her divinity and became the Abyssal Prince Lolth. [...] Then Lolth became a goddess again
quote:
The official lore then paints the drow pantheon as being really dumb, since Kiaransalee and Vhaeraun should've shanked her then. There's precedent since Kiaransalee murdered Orcus.

Even after the matters settled the worst way, with Lolth explicitly opposed to him, she still draws all the fire, and he ends up at worst de-prioritized as "lesser evil" and at best completely out of limelight - which is what he wants, what's with being thieving sort.
quote:

How so?

quote:

I have something similar in my Realms, but Araushnee was used and twisted, rather than eaten, and her mind was made numb and shattered in multiple conflicting shards, by Shar

It's the same "one MEGAVILLAIN behind EVERYTHING" pitfall into which Drizzt fans fall, only with Shar it's 3e version.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000