Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The End?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Drizztsmanchild Posted - 14 Feb 2016 : 04:31:49
Below is from Bob's FB page
------Well I'm exhausted. Finished "Hero" (Homecoming, Book 3) yesterday, after two weeks of sleepless nights and long stretches at the computer, making my list and checking it twice...and thrice...and again after that. I wish I had the time and space to make this one its own trilogy.

Oh well. Typing "THE END" always leaves an author with jumbled feelings, from relief to regret, elation to sorrow, and everything in between, this one more than ever. I can honestly say, however, that I've never felt more at peace and content and satisfied with my work than with this book.

It goes right up there with "Homeland," "Mortalis," and "The Companions" among my personal favorites.
What a wonderful journey it's been.

Bob

ps. "Maestro" comes out in early April!
-------
If this is "The End" as the post seems to indicate. I am a little saddened, but I know the ending will be very fitting a d Epic for Drizzt. Thank you Mr. Salvatore
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 10 Mar 2016 : 18:39:46
The last one I read long long ago was that one with Entreri and Jarlaxle in the Bloodstone Lands. If it wasn't for that appearance by that old timey monk from AD&D 1st Edition, I would have not completed the book. Only by inserting an iconic legendary Realms guy in there did I want to finish to see what would happen. I was obsessed by maintaining my canon lore back then, you see... I was completely unaware that they were planning the demise of the Realms and do that rocky horror time warp, you see..
CorellonsDevout Posted - 10 Mar 2016 : 16:15:22
Especially with the Drizzt books. Drizzt became this lusty male once he got with Dahlia, and it was rather irritating, since that was another thing that set him apart.

Sex and mild language work in the right story. The Drizzt books are not the right story
Artemas Entreri Posted - 10 Mar 2016 : 15:42:21
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

The books have "matured", if you will, though in some ways that has actually been kind of annoying

Agree completely. The insertion of sex and mild language into shared-world fantasy just doesn't work for me.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 10 Mar 2016 : 15:41:32
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

I haven't read RAS books since high school... and I'm near my forties now. How well do these books read as grown up adults? I'm looking for honest opinions here, weighed against other available stuff like Game of Thrones which I won't even bring myself to read past book 3...

With Salvatore books (and all Realms books) I take the approach of reading them for a quick fix of fun. I don't think they are as enjoyable as they were when you were a younger reader, ESPECIALLY if you have branched out into the fantasy genre and read stuff like Malazan Book of the Fallen, A Song of Ice and Fire, and the First Law.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 10 Mar 2016 : 14:52:02
The books have "matured", if you will, though in some ways that has actually been kind of annoying
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 10 Mar 2016 : 14:13:56
I haven't read RAS books since high school... and I'm near my forties now. How well do these books read as grown up adults? I'm looking for honest opinions here, weighed against other available stuff like Game of Thrones which I won't even bring myself to read past book 3...
Eilserus Posted - 10 Mar 2016 : 13:41:11
Probably an oversight. ARC's are all about marketing.
Madpig Posted - 10 Mar 2016 : 06:54:12
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

quote:
Originally posted by Hutchimus

Still nothing on Netgalley for Maestro.

I was just thinking about this too. Is it too soon to say that they'll probably not be doing an ARC for Maestro? If not, any speculation as to why that might be?

Could it be because it contains something really major, and they dont want to spoil it with rumours and leaks. But that's just my thoughts about it.
sno4wy Posted - 10 Mar 2016 : 01:56:45
quote:
Originally posted by Hutchimus

I was just thinking about this too. Is it too soon to say that they'll probably not be doing an ARC for Maestro? If not, any speculation as to why that might be?
Hutchimus Posted - 09 Mar 2016 : 20:09:08
Artemas Entreri Posted - 21 Feb 2016 : 13:18:52
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

quote:

Am I the only one who wants Salvatore to move on to something new in the Realms?

I really liked the Cleric's Quintet books, so I'd love to see Salvatore writing about new characters, but I also like Drizzt.

So what I'd really like is for him to write new books in addition to Drizzt books. If the two RAS books per year thing is to continue, it could be one book per series.

Even with the Cleric Quintet, Salvatore couldn't resist tying them into the Drizzt storyline.

But the Cleric Quintet and the Sellswords series were both proof that RAS can write very compelling characters and stories that don't include Drizzt.

I LOVED the Cleric Quintet ... and then latter rolled my eyes when he connected it to Drizzt, LLC.
Zanthox Posted - 21 Feb 2016 : 11:16:52
It would seem very strange to go through so much work to bring Drizzt and the rest of the Companions of the Hall through the time jump of 5E to end it now - at the very least he will continue with the various other characters he has been following for so long now.
Tanthalas Posted - 21 Feb 2016 : 09:23:00
quote:
Even with the Cleric Quintet, Salvatore couldn't resist tying them into the Drizzt storyline.

I don't see a problem with him having them interact after Cadderly's story was done.
Lilianviaten Posted - 21 Feb 2016 : 06:01:32
quote:

quote:

quote:

Am I the only one who wants Salvatore to move on to something new in the Realms?

I really liked the Cleric's Quintet books, so I'd love to see Salvatore writing about new characters, but I also like Drizzt.

So what I'd really like is for him to write new books in addition to Drizzt books. If the two RAS books per year thing is to continue, it could be one book per series.

Realistically, WOTC isn't going to let him write anything without somehow tying it back to Drizzt. There's too much money to be potentially lost. But the Cleric Quintet and the Sellswords series were both proof that RAS can write very compelling characters and stories that don't include Drizzt.

I'd really like to see Afafrenfere and Ambergris traveling on their merry way, kicking butt and taking names. As much as I love the drow and their current storyline in Menzo, there are so many other villains and other areas that could use exploration.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 21 Feb 2016 : 04:52:46
quote:

quote:

Eilserus Posted - 20 Feb 2016 : 18:47:37
Depending on the events of the final Homecoming book, I imagine he might move into a different area. While I wouldn't mind seeing more info on Gauntlgrym, I'm kind of getting burnt out on Drizzt and Co. in the North. Wouldn't mind seeing them go after Regis and Wulfgar.
Tanthalas Posted - 20 Feb 2016 : 16:07:37
quote:

Irennan Posted - 20 Feb 2016 : 14:52:22
quote:

I would like him to write something else too, at least something alongside Drizzt (given that he is the only author that gets 2 of the 4 yearly FR novels). The current lineup for novels is rather lacking in variety...

I'm having trobles to bring myself to read books as of late, more of the same in my favourite setting surely doesn't help.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 20 Feb 2016 : 14:46:08
Eilserus Posted - 20 Feb 2016 : 00:07:33
quote:
Originally posted by Drizztsmanchild

If you have Twitter.https://twitter.com/r_a_salvatore/status/700797171172511744

Thanks for that. I was actually unclear on this. Glad it's not the end just yet. ;)
Tanthalas Posted - 19 Feb 2016 : 22:30:49
Well, glad that was cleared up.
sno4wy Posted - 19 Feb 2016 : 22:08:21
Yeah that still doesn't tell us anything that we don't know already. :P
Drizztsmanchild Posted - 19 Feb 2016 : 21:53:02
If you have Twitter.https://twitter.com/r_a_salvatore/status/700797171172511744

_Jarlaxle_ Posted - 18 Feb 2016 : 16:19:24
Maybe it's because I'm not a native speaker but to me Salvatore is clearly reffering to the end of that specific book.
Merrith Posted - 17 Feb 2016 : 19:04:31
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Merrith
and whatever resolution RAS WotC has planned for the drow.

I don't think that RAS has leeway with Menzoberranzan. WotC decide whatever change happens to the setting. They have already claimed that the matriarchy is going to stay :/

Obviously the "bigger picture" resolutions he won't have control over, but how all of the plot resolves around his characters he does. Drizzt will play a more central role than he has lately with it being about him returning to Menzoberranzan, but in the end I think it'll be more about the political maneuvering between the houses and what happens with Jarlaxle/Gromph/Kimmuriel.
Eilserus Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 21:25:47
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That prequel would be pretty sad for me to read, knowing Zak later dies.

This reminds me of why I don't find as much enjoyment while reading a Drizzt book as I would otherwise: I'm 99.99999% sure that Drizzt will survive any danger, no matter how steep the odds.

Same could be said for 99% of most other stories regarding the main hero.

Which is why I love grimdark fantasy so much. No one is safe!

Very true. Though the Red Wedding grossed me out so much I stopped watching GoT consistently afterwards.
Eilserus Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 21:23:55
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

I don't think that RAS has leeway with Menzoberranzan. WotC decide whatever change happens to the setting. They have already claimed that the matriarchy is going to stay :/

I wouldn't expect Menzo to ever be destroyed or the matriarchy taken down, but it'd be fairly believable to have a huge war with Barrison Del'Armgo ascending as 1st house. The Baenre are really the only constant there, though I somehow doubt this will happen given Yvonnel the Eternal has effectively been reborn. Would be fun to see on page however.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 20:25:34
quote:

quote:

quote:

That prequel would be pretty sad for me to read, knowing Zak later dies.

This reminds me of why I don't find as much enjoyment while reading a Drizzt book as I would otherwise: I'm 99.99999% sure that Drizzt will survive any danger, no matter how steep the odds.

Same could be said for 99% of most other stories regarding the main hero.

Which is why I love grimdark fantasy so much. No one is safe!
Irennan Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 20:04:52
quote:

CorellonsDevout Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 19:57:48
Much as I love Drizzt, I wouldn't mind the series coming to an end, so long as it ends well and he doesn't kill him off. I would like to see more about Regis, but honestly, I could care less about Wulfgar. I didn't like him before and I like him even less now. Womanizer. Jarlaxle is, too, but he's immensely entertaining and I love him.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000