Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The End?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  04:31:49  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Below is from Bob's FB page
------Well I'm exhausted. Finished "Hero" (Homecoming, Book 3) yesterday, after two weeks of sleepless nights and long stretches at the computer, making my list and checking it twice...and thrice...and again after that. I wish I had the time and space to make this one its own trilogy.

Oh well. Typing "THE END" always leaves an author with jumbled feelings, from relief to regret, elation to sorrow, and everything in between, this one more than ever. I can honestly say, however, that I've never felt more at peace and content and satisfied with my work than with this book.

It goes right up there with "Homeland," "Mortalis," and "The Companions" among my personal favorites.
What a wonderful journey it's been.

Bob

ps. "Maestro" comes out in early April!
-------
If this is "The End" as the post seems to indicate. I am a little saddened, but I know the ending will be very fitting a d Epic for Drizzt. Thank you Mr. Salvatore

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  04:38:48  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazon lists this as ''Drizzt finale'', so I guess that yes, this may be the last Drizzt book. Either way, his story stretches over more than 30 books, the same can't be claimed for any fantasy character (that I know).

I just hope that, if this is the end, other novels will be written in place of the Drizzt books, and that the FR yearly novels don't go down to 2.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 14 Feb 2016 04:40:35
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  14:17:01  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Might just be the finale of the present trilogy too. I like reading RAS's books, but if this is truly the end; I hope he ends the Baenre family. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  14:48:35  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Might just be the finale of the present trilogy too. I like reading RAS's books, but if this is truly the end; I hope he ends the Baenre family. ;)

I very much doubt that WotC will let go of their most popular character (so they will probably keep him alive, just to have him available for more stories in the future). I also doubt that WotC will let go of the Baenre.

Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  16:32:45  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall Salvatore saying something like after the current trilogy, that the Drizzt books are going down to one per year rather than two. So perhaps it's just that it's "the end" of the current pattern?
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  19:27:10  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

His story stretches over more than 30 books, the same can't be claimed for any fantasy character (that I know).

That's not necessarily a good claim to own.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  22:45:01  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

I recall Salvatore saying something like after the current trilogy, that the Drizzt books are going down to one per year rather than two. So perhaps it's just that it's "the end" of the current pattern?

Maybe we'll get that Zaknafein prequel we've all wanted for years in one of those slots. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  01:50:16  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess you can interpret that message of RAS as this being the last Drizzt book, but to me it seems more like he's just talking about the end of the trilogy.

But if its really the end I'll be sad to see the Drizzt saga end.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  04:00:27  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RAS has said all his books in this world are to be considered "Drizzt books" even though they don't all have Drizzt in them. As far as the OP goes. It's just the way he said it that gives me the indication that this may be the last book with Drizzt as the feature character. He may write others in this world though.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  20:41:17  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I am missing something but I read it as he was typing "the end" for this particular book (or maybe the trilogy).
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  22:04:22  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:

His story stretches over more than 30 books, the same can't be claimed for any fantasy character (that I know).

That's not necessarily a good claim to own.

It is by any standards I know. It's hard for any writer to interest fans enough that they will buy 30 books about one character (or group of characters).
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  00:54:48  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh...interesting. "The End" could be taken a number of ways.

I have been getting the impression that RAS has been getting tired of writing about Drizzt. I mean, in Archmage, he was out of the picture for half of it. A part of me wants the books to end (hopefully on a good note), because they have been going on for so long. I don't know, we'll see.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  01:37:45  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope Artemis is in the mix for these next two books.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  03:23:55  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Huh...interesting. "The End" could be taken a number of ways.

I have been getting the impression that RAS has been getting tired of writing about Drizzt. I mean, in Archmage, he was out of the picture for half of it. A part of me wants the books to end (hopefully on a good note), because they have been going on for so long. I don't know, we'll see.

It's been a good run. I've been reading RAS since 1990 or so. I honestly have no idea what he would do next unless they leave the North. Granted I'll keep buying as long as he's writing, but it'd be sweet to see that Zak/Jarlaxle prequel too.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  03:26:56  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That prequel would be pretty sad for me to read, knowing Zak later dies.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  13:27:03  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, but it'd be a good one. Two friends and then Jarlaxle betrays him. Make for a good read and it'd be interesting to see the state of affairs in Menzo a few hundred years prior to his death.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  14:38:34  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This reminds me of why I don't find as much enjoyment while reading a Drizzt book as I would otherwise: I'm 99.99999% sure that Drizzt will survive any danger, no matter how steep the odds.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 16 Feb 2016 14:39:19
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  19:40:00  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

This reminds me of why I don't find as much enjoyment while reading a Drizzt book as I would otherwise: I'm 99.99999% sure that Drizzt will survive any danger, no matter how steep the odds.

Same could be said for 99% of most other stories regarding the main hero. The truth is though the "Drizzt" books haven't even been primarily about him for a long time now. More about the cast of characters and settings RAS has introduced as a larger part of the Drizzt tale.

Really the last bunch of books have been more about the dwarves of the silver Marches and all of the politics and changes in Menzo than about Drizzt. He's just the thing that ties all of those things together to tell the tale about it.

I suspect we'll get a book (or books) about the adventures of Wulfgar and Regis (much like we did for Jarlaxle and Entreri). I have a feeling while Drizzt will take more of a central role for these next two books than he has in the last couple, it'll still mostly be about Jarlaxle and Menzo...and whatever resolution RAS has planned for the drow.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  19:57:48  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much as I love Drizzt, I wouldn't mind the series coming to an end, so long as it ends well and he doesn't kill him off. I would like to see more about Regis, but honestly, I could care less about Wulfgar. I didn't like him before and I like him even less now. Womanizer. Jarlaxle is, too, but he's immensely entertaining and I love him.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  20:04:52  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Merrith
and whatever resolution RAS WotC has planned for the drow.

I don't think that RAS has leeway with Menzoberranzan. WotC decide whatever change happens to the setting. They have already claimed that the matriarchy is going to stay :/

Edited by - Irennan on 16 Feb 2016 20:07:33
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  20:25:34  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Same could be said for 99% of most other stories regarding the main hero.

Which is why I love grimdark fantasy so much. No one is safe!

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  21:23:55  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't think that RAS has leeway with Menzoberranzan. WotC decide whatever change happens to the setting. They have already claimed that the matriarchy is going to stay :/

I wouldn't expect Menzo to ever be destroyed or the matriarchy taken down, but it'd be fairly believable to have a huge war with Barrison Del'Armgo ascending as 1st house. The Baenre are really the only constant there, though I somehow doubt this will happen given Yvonnel the Eternal has effectively been reborn. Would be fun to see on page however.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  21:25:47  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Same could be said for 99% of most other stories regarding the main hero.

Which is why I love grimdark fantasy so much. No one is safe!

Very true. Though the Red Wedding grossed me out so much I stopped watching GoT consistently afterwards.
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2016 :  19:04:31  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Obviously the "bigger picture" resolutions he won't have control over, but how all of the plot resolves around his characters he does. Drizzt will play a more central role than he has lately with it being about him returning to Menzoberranzan, but in the end I think it'll be more about the political maneuvering between the houses and what happens with Jarlaxle/Gromph/Kimmuriel.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2016 :  16:19:24  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's because I'm not a native speaker but to me Salvatore is clearly reffering to the end of that specific book.

Edited by - _Jarlaxle_ on 18 Feb 2016 16:19:56
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2016 :  21:53:02  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have Twitter.https://twitter.com/r_a_salvatore/status/700797171172511744

Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2016 :  22:08:21  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah that still doesn't tell us anything that we don't know already. :P
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2016 :  22:30:49  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, glad that was cleared up.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2016 :  00:07:33  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drizztsmanchild

If you have Twitter.https://twitter.com/r_a_salvatore/status/700797171172511744

Thanks for that. I was actually unclear on this. Glad it's not the end just yet. ;)

Edited by - Eilserus on 20 Feb 2016 00:08:00
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2016 :  14:46:08  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I the only one who wants Salvatore to move on to something new in the Realms?

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2016 :  14:52:22  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Am I the only one who wants Salvatore to move on to something new in the Realms?

I would like him to write something else too, at least something alongside Drizzt (given that he is the only author that gets 2 of the 4 yearly FR novels). The current lineup for novels is rather lacking in variety...

I'm having trobles to bring myself to read books as of late, more of the same in my favourite setting surely doesn't help.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000