Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Realms Online Gaming Session w/Ed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alefian Posted - 18 Nov 2015 : 16:35:25
Ed posted this in his Facebook feed in case anyone here is interested in checking it out. Hope it's appropriate to share this news here...

"It's rare that I DM the Realms online, so if you want to see what a pickup Forgotten Realms session, set in (well, mainly under) the North Ward of Waterdeep, looks like . . .
I can't promise no tentacles. ;}"

So, this is happening: Saturday, Nov. 21st, 7 p.m. CST: D&D game.

The players: Gregory Wilson, Erik Scott de Bie, Chris A. Jackson, Peter V. Brett, Myke Cole, and myself.

The Dungeonmaster: Ed Greenwood

Greg will be streaming the session on his Twitch channel. Hope you can join us to watch what should be an epic game for many, many reasons!

http://www.twitch.tv/arvaneleron
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Duneth Despana Posted - 30 Nov 2015 : 15:00:31
quote:
Originally posted by JohnLynch

See here for a recording on YouTube: http://www.sageadvice.eu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG8SKANyTPA link to the video itself
Cards77 Posted - 24 Nov 2015 : 23:53:15
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, all.
Well, that was nothing like a "home" Realmsplay session (we speak as our characters, so acting is the order of the day, and subplots and "daily life" in the Realms predominate), but it was fun. Slow fun, mind you; I think that group of PCs would be late for their own funerals... ;}

That's somewhat heartening as that's how I run my game. I go to major lengths to detail the daily life and for us anyway the details are what makes it feel real, as do deep and well played characters that interact with the world in a semi-realistic fashion.

I was just looking at our journal and realized that since July we've only played about two and a half tendays in game time!

That's VERY slow but we enjoy the roleplaying focus. By the time we have to actually combat we've dang near forgotten the rules.
Seravin Posted - 24 Nov 2015 : 02:11:47
Would give my eye teeth to see something like this with Ed's regular group of Knights. Thanks for the insight THO.
The Masked Mage Posted - 24 Nov 2015 : 02:06:48
Yeah - Ed tried to tell the to do real roleplaying, but that just did not stick. It was understandable though, because it seemed to me like 2 of them had never even tried something like that before. When the one guy asked what a helmed horror was, I did a face slap :)
Eilserus Posted - 24 Nov 2015 : 00:56:21
Thank you both. :)
The Hooded One Posted - 24 Nov 2015 : 00:10:57
Hi, all.
Well, that was nothing like a "home" Realmsplay session (we speak as our characters, so acting is the order of the day, and subplots and "daily life" in the Realms predominate), but it was fun. Slow fun, mind you; I think that group of PCs would be late for their own funerals... ;}
However, what I dropped in to post about was this, from Eilserus: "If possible I wouldn't mind knowing more about the Nath. Pretty friendly for an Underdark monster. Is it really the only one in the Realms? Is it an Underdark native or transplant from elsewhere? Anything that can be told about that Sharran cult and its leader? Where the Underdark portal leads to?"
Ed has some "sort of" answers for you:

First off, obviously that personal envoy was anything but. Telling fibs to try to stay alive.
Secondly, the Nath has a rather limited intellect and world-view. No, it's not the only one; the Nath just hasn't met any others of his kind since he was old enough to remember.
And thirdly, the Sharran cult was new to the Watch, new to the rulers of Waterdeep...and quite possibly isn't what it seems. Though obviously someone has been at work buying up buildings to get at their cellars, then rebuilding/refurbishing the cellars, for quite some time.
Fourthly, Underdark portal? What Underdark portal? ;}

So saith Ed, so far . . .
love to all,
THO
Faraer Posted - 23 Nov 2015 : 23:18:10
Thanks for making this available. I agree that playing in that manner seems a missed opportunity when Ed ******* Greenwood is DMing for you.
JohnLynch Posted - 23 Nov 2015 : 12:50:11
It isn't the peak of Roleplaying, but it was a lot of fun and it was great to see Ed get into it. It's probably equivalent to my Pathfinder group at it's worst. Still a good show to watch.
Dargoth Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 23:51:51
I dont know whether its just because Ive finished watching Season 1 of Continumm but Chris Jackson looks like Edouard Kagame from that series

If Ed Was going to run more of these games Id suggest he get a group of FR authors and make them run their signature characters through what ever he comes up with. With the Condition the Authors have to Roleplay the character during the session
xaeyruudh Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 22:20:45
Yea, the pooptopus was amazing. I'm glad she was entertained instead of developing a fear of toilets!
Eilserus Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 21:58:02
I was seriously surprised the player's were able to collect their reward. I initially figured the whole mission was intended to send the player's to their deaths because the Eagleshield's had a bone to pick with the baron from Amn.

Told my 7 year old daughter about the Nath and she thought a poop monster that lived in a toilet was hilarious. ;)
xaeyruudh Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 21:18:50
I think part of the slapstick nature of this session was the fact that the players are all authors with a vested interest in being liked and being seen as someone whose books you would want to read, and the host in particular had the pressure of entertaining the 250 of us watching and chatting input. Also, several of the jokes came from we the chatters.

Finally, while I'm sure Ed would have been equally happy to have a calm mature session, he seemed to be enjoying himself. His laughter looked pretty genuine. The point of this cast was not so much the roleplaying --the "plot" was very simple, the "dungeon" was very simple, and there were no significant npc interactions-- but rather to showcase Ed and the authors, and show that roleplaying *could* be a gas, and not something boring that newcomers would feel intimidated by.

Just my 2 cents.
Eilserus Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 20:05:35
Please don't feel bad for having a different opinion than mine. That was certainly not my intention. And there's nothing wrong with different opinions. We both love the Realms after all, so its all good. :)

I thought this was fun, but I'd pay money to see the home campaign play. Totally get what you mean though, a more serious tone would probably allow for alot more Realmslore to flow.
Cards77 Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 19:52:32
It's not like no one makes jokes at our gaming table. Organic humor is a part of just being together. Key term being "organic". Trying to make a joke out of everything that happens just detracts from the game and then everyone has to circle back and get on track. I can't help but think things would have been different on a different platform. That's the first time I've watched a game via Twitch. I definitely like players that are more interested in listening to the DM and staying in character than cracking jokes. My bad I guess for having a different expectation.
Eilserus Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 18:18:35
To each their own of course. Some of my most memorable gaming experiences have involved slapstick or running things on a lighter note. Ed did state the home Realms campaign is, I believe he said more serious. Though I'm sure they have their moments, I seem to recall Torm and was it Rathan?, thinking of creative ways to kill goblins, or was it Zhents, or both? ;)

Definitely worth watching or even listening to audio in my opinion. Hope we get to see more sessions of Ed DM'ing in the future!
Shadowsoul Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 17:58:14
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

I watched for a couple of hours then gave up. Ed could hardly get a word in with the players falling all over each other to get "real world" jokes in or show how smart they are. Not much in the way of roleplaying going on. I guess I take my gaming too seriously.

I like my games serious as well. Glad you warned me.
Eilserus Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 17:04:46
I have to wonder why this Lontar Trune, the personal envoy of Laeral Silverhand was doing down there. Follower of Eilistraee attempting to keep tabs on the cult perhaps?
Cards77 Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 16:45:56
I watched for a couple of hours then gave up. Ed could hardly get a word in with the players falling all over each other to get "real world" jokes in or show how smart they are. Not much in the way of roleplaying going on. I guess I take my gaming too seriously.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 15:56:04
Thanks for that link, JohnLynch.
Irennan Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 14:52:19
quote:
Originally posted by JohnLynch

Thank you
JohnLynch Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 14:38:01
Irennan Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 13:12:31
Eagerly waiting for the recorded video. If it is posted today, I'll watch it tonight (my time). Thanks to all those who partecipated to the show!
hashimashadoo Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 08:01:54
Yeah! Lots of fun & laughter which, after all, is what most tabletop RPGs should be.

Looking forward to the recording being posted.
xaeyruudh Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 07:52:07
Yea this was awesome. Thank you Ed!

Wow "skyping" the home game would be great!
Eilserus Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 07:45:07
THO,

Please tell Ed this was a blast and a ton of fun to listen to tonight! Any thoughts on trying this for a home Realms campaign session?

If possible I wouldn't mind knowing more about the Nath. Pretty friendly for an Underdark monster. Is it really the only one in the Realms? Is it an Underdark native or transplant from elsewhere?

Anything that can be told about that Sharran cult and its leader? Where the Underdark portal leads to?

Fun times!
Eilserus Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 04:17:06
This is great listening to these guys play. Lol
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 02:54:53
I hope the players have fun tonight.

The recording should be interesting to watch. I can't see it tonight because we're watching the Cotto-Alvarez fight tonight.
xaeyruudh Posted - 22 Nov 2015 : 01:28:00
Bummer. I'm here, and I can only see the chat. Player doesn't play.

The player works once I turn on all the autoplay permissions, but now it's lagged out.

Sortakinda fixed!

Still looking forward to the recorded version and hoping for the best.
Eilserus Posted - 21 Nov 2015 : 22:01:37
I'm pretty stoked. Never had the opportunity to hear Ed DM before. :)
Hoondatha Posted - 21 Nov 2015 : 21:53:59
Oh wonderful. That means I don't need to stay up to 2 AM. On the even brighter side, now I know what I'll be watching tomorrow. :)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000