Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Spoilers: Rage of Demons / Out of the Abyss story

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Eltheron Posted - 25 Aug 2015 : 02:16:53
So this news was released several days ago at ENWorld:

Spoiler tagged for those who don't want to be spoiled. Use highlight if you do.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?2846-The-Fetid-Wedding!#.Vdu_-nuKxwA

Zuggtmoy wants to "wed" the Araumycos in the Underdark. There's going to be a ritualistic wedding/demonic binding that gets wedding-crashed by Juiblex, according to rumor.

Amusing.

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Delwa Posted - 01 Sep 2015 : 20:36:05
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

That looks awesome.

I enjoyed watching Orcus reanimate the Elder Brain and awaken the mindflayers in Undeath. Undead mindflayers are always a good idea in my book.

As long as we're on the topic of undead elder brains, this adventure really should feature Iolaum in some capacity. Since they are trickling out new lore anyway, they should be able to sneak in some updates on characters like him.

That would be an interesting addition. I can't wait until Friday to find out.
Lilianviaten Posted - 01 Sep 2015 : 16:18:59
quote:

quote:

That looks awesome.

I enjoyed watching Orcus reanimate the Elder Brain and awaken the mindflayers in Undeath. Undead mindflayers are always a good idea in my book.

As long as we're on the topic of undead elder brains, this adventure really should feature Iolaum in some capacity. Since they are trickling out new lore anyway, they should be able to sneak in some updates on characters like him.
Delwa Posted - 01 Sep 2015 : 14:55:43
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

okkkkk wtf theres a beholder tank in Rage of demons!?!?

Nah, that's a hangover item from one of their previous shows. Keep in mind, AI is meant for comedic entertainment, it's not meant to be a serious presentation.
Eltheron Posted - 01 Sep 2015 : 05:13:29
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

Here's the latest D&D game run by Chris Perkins for Acquisitions, Inc. (the D&D group made of Penny Arcade's creative/executive team plus Patrick Rothfuss) at PAX Prime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irgBgmWh02g

It's based on the Rage of Demons adventure and set in the Underdark.

I could only stand about 10 minutes of that.

I'm definitely, absolutely not their target demographic.

Dargoth Posted - 01 Sep 2015 : 04:56:04
okkkkk wtf theres a beholder tank in Rage of demons!?!?
Dark Wizard Posted - 01 Sep 2015 : 04:01:20
Here's the latest D&D game run by Chris Perkins for Acquisitions, Inc. (the D&D group made of Penny Arcade's creative/executive team plus Patrick Rothfuss) at PAX Prime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irgBgmWh02g

It's based on the Rage of Demons adventure and set in the Underdark.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 01 Sep 2015 : 03:19:17
All righty. I will probably get that one, at least.
Irennan Posted - 01 Sep 2015 : 03:18:27
Yeah. The name is quite misleading, according to what we've been told about the contents of the book.
Delwa Posted - 01 Sep 2015 : 03:16:55
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Oh so th FRCG finally has a release date? I know Sword Coast Adventures Guide comes out in November. Is that what you're referring to, or is that one going to be more along the same lines as Out of the Abyss?

The SCAG is essentially the FRCS. At least, that's what some product descriptions say.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 01 Sep 2015 : 03:15:29
Oh so th FRCG finally has a release date? I know Sword Coast Adventures Guide comes out in November. Is that what you're referring to, or is that one going to be more along the same lines as Out of the Abyss?
Irennan Posted - 01 Sep 2015 : 03:10:58
quote:

Hmm okay. Thanks for the info

If you want to know the current state of the Realm (what of it hasn't already trickled down by various means, anyway), in November WotC will publish what basically is (or has been presented as, through interviews) the 5e FRCS. That should be more helpful than these adventures.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 01 Sep 2015 : 02:47:02
Hmm okay. Thanks for the info
Delwa Posted - 01 Sep 2015 : 02:34:00
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

So the background of the story would be useful, because it provides us with info on what is going on in the Realms? Would it be worth it for someone like me to purchase?

If you want only that, I really doubt that you will get decent value for your money (even more so because these adventures are supposed to canonically end with the bad guys being defeated and everything returning more or less to what it was before).

Ditto. This tome is looking to be a mechanical fiend folio for the abyss. You'll probably only get a page or two of what you want, and a bunch of other stats and scenarios that aren't what you want.
Irennan Posted - 01 Sep 2015 : 02:17:36
quote:

So the background of the story would be useful, because it provides us with info on what is going on in the Realms? Would it be worth it for someone like me to purchase?

If you want only that, I really doubt that you will get decent value for your money (even more so because these adventures are supposed to canonically end with the bad guys being defeated and everything returning more or less to what it was before).
CorellonsDevout Posted - 01 Sep 2015 : 02:14:04
Delwa Posted - 01 Sep 2015 : 02:09:37
quote:

I do have a question, and this may seem like a dumb question, but being as a don't play D&D much, I don't usually buy these "adventure books", so my question is: will a book like this actually show what is going on in the Realms, and or do they just provide adventure ideas for players, and have no real affect on what is going on in the Realms?

I ask because I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy it. I'm buying Archmage, which comes out tomorrow.

It'll kinda be like a choose your own adventure book. If they follow the previous styles in this edition, it'll give you an overview and background of the adventure, key plot points, and the encounters / battles that get you from plot point 1 to plot point two.
Not everything will happen for every party, depending on what choices they make, but the same overarching story will take place.
I feel that did a horrible job, but I hope it helps explain somewhat.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 01 Sep 2015 : 02:04:08
I do have a question, and this may seem like a dumb question, but being as a don't play D&D much, I don't usually buy these "adventure books", so my question is: will a book like this actually show what is going on in the Realms, and or do they just provide adventure ideas for players, and have no real affect on what is going on in the Realms?

I ask because I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy it. I'm buying Archmage, which comes out tomorrow.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 01 Sep 2015 : 01:48:43
That trailer was pretty cool. I might have to buy these adventure books, even though I don't really play D&D.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 30 Aug 2015 : 04:50:21
One nice thing about the trailer is that we get to see something that we're commenting on. So much better than declaring the book dead on arrival when nobody has actually read it yet.
Delwa Posted - 29 Aug 2015 : 16:42:35
quote:

quote:

That looks awesome.

That part made me shiver in glee. The kinda nuts tilt of the head that Drizzt does at one point reminded me of the Joker for some reason. That was kinda scary.
Cyrinishad Posted - 29 Aug 2015 : 16:10:15
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

I simply don't understand the pessimism and negativity about it. The adventure is a combination of Fey & Abominations & Demons in the Underdark. It makes sense to me that almost all the NPCs are either quirky or insane considering all the demon-lords that are in the Underdark at the time. They're definitely cramming in "one of everything" in the NPCs as far as races go, but that seems like just a standard element of published adventures.

Insane doesn't have to be "quirky".

The underdark is anything but quirky. It is a scary and dangerous place that is full of alien like beings as well as evil and just pure insane. Derro are murderously insane, not quirky.

I completely agree, and the Derro presented in the article was exactly that: Murderously insane. The only characters that seemed quirky to me were the Shapeshifting-Fey Twins; the other characters seemed to fulfill all the appropriate Underdark descriptors: Insane, Alien, Evil, etc.
...seemed pretty much on point to me.

(Of course, the Myconids made me do the ol' too).
Mirtek Posted - 29 Aug 2015 : 14:43:11
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:

The Pudding king (Names in the Forbes article appear to have been made up by the Forbes reviewer) Has Psionics so we are likely going to get Psionic game play mechanics in Out of the Abyss
The MM has several psionic creatures already, we don't necessarily need psionic gameplay mechanics for the pudding king

Yes but the character in OotA is a Deep Gnome they dont get natural Psionic abilities the way say Mind Flayer do. So in order for him to have Psionic powers hes going either have Class levels or some sort of template

Or they simply add a few spells to his stay block and a [Psi] tag and that'a it

We're not in 3.X anymore when NPC and monsters were build with the same rules structure as PCs
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 29 Aug 2015 : 13:59:57
quote:

Even if its trying to chew on your Cerebal Cortex Jeremy?

Especially in that case.

Wrapping a mindflayer's tentacles around its neck and choking it to death is something I would like to do in game. If they're undead mindflayers, that's no reason not to try. ;)
Dargoth Posted - 29 Aug 2015 : 11:35:21
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:

The Pudding king (Names in the Forbes article appear to have been made up by the Forbes reviewer) Has Psionics so we are likely going to get Psionic game play mechanics in Out of the Abyss
The MM has several psionic creatures already, we don't necessarily need psionic gameplay mechanics for the pudding king

Yes but the character in OotA is a Deep Gnome they dont get natural Psionic abilities the way say Mind Flayer do. So in order for him to have Psionic powers hes going either have Class levels or some sort of template
Mirtek Posted - 29 Aug 2015 : 11:05:42
quote:

BTW, here's Orcus: Part 1 and Part 2
Dargoth Posted - 29 Aug 2015 : 08:34:31
quote:

quote:

That looks awesome.

Even if its trying to chew on your Cerebal Cortex Jeremy?
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 29 Aug 2015 : 08:06:56
quote:

That looks awesome.

Dark Wizard Posted - 29 Aug 2015 : 04:44:06
The trailer looked excellent and firmly established the problems and enemies 'moving and shaking' behind the adventure. Great to see the demonlords 'fleshed' out in CG. Even after decades, the D&D versions of these demons remains some of the more distinct monster designs out there.

Looking forward to Sword Coast Legends. Been out of PC gaming (gaming in general) for a while. Prepped a gaming computer in part because of this game (and also Wastelands 2, Pillars of Eternity, as well as larger titles like the latest Dragon Age and Witcher). A lot of catching up to do.
Delwa Posted - 29 Aug 2015 : 03:41:57
I'm already scheming on how I can tie the RoD module into my current campaign. Not necessarily as a continuation or addition to it, but as more of a sequel. It'd be some serious thread jacking to explain it all in detail, but I see it dovetailing quite nicely, even if I wind up tweaking it to a shadow of the original module, I couldn't have done it without the adventure as a catalyst.

quote:

A few disections from Enworld

In looks like the character arent going to fight all Demonlords

"Fortunately, Out of the Abyss gives characters the chance to amass a small army and also turn the demon lords against one another, thus weakening them. There are also a couple other ways to banish the demon lords back to the Abyss, which is the party's ultimate goal."

The wedding isnt a real wedding its a Demonic binding

"Once aware of Araumycos, Zuggtmoy seeks to control the massive fungus. She makes a show of “wooing” the massive fungus with a grotesque courtship that she plans to culminate with a repulsive mockery of a wedding—really a ritual of demonic domination. During the ceremony, Zuggtmoy will be attended by her “bridesmaids” and fungal thralls. Talk about a Bridezilla"

Thanks for that info! Whether the names are made up or not, (some of them are admittedly meh, and I will be changing them if they are their given names) quirkiness has always had a place in the Underdark. Jarlaxle, for one famous example, is definitely quirky; and one could argue it's how some survive the madness and oppression of such a dangerous place.
They look to be doing the same thing with combating the Demon Lords that they did in Tyranny of Dragons with Tiamat. They're giving level 15 characters a boss they can't possibly beat on their own, and forcing them to get creative to, in mechanical terms, bring the CR down to something they can handle.
I like the idea, because it presents Demon Lords, Deities, and the like as something very difficult to defeat, even for powerful heroes, and reinforces the idea that you can't hope to do it alone; you have to have allies.
Dargoth Posted - 29 Aug 2015 : 03:35:39
Im actually thinking of rewriting Elemental evil and moving the 4 temples to Eryndlyn perphaps with Portal access from the vanilia locations in the Princes of the Apcolypse

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000