Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 What is an Ar-Magus?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
xaeyruudh Posted - 30 Sep 2014 : 05:59:35
I've found it in Champions of Ruin; the section on Bazim-Gorag talks about an ar-magus named Ilviroon. The term seems familiar but Google isn't telling me anything and a search of these forums comes up blank. I probably saw it in non-D&D novels somewhere years ago. Was this simply the master of Selskartur, or is there a prestige class I missed somewhere?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Masked Mage Posted - 06 Oct 2014 : 18:36:02
Seems to be a regional or societal version of archmage... possibly a title of respect or a specific position of power
sleyvas Posted - 01 Oct 2014 : 00:33:24
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Thanks kysus, that adventure definitely looks to be the source from which the Champions of Ruin summary was drawn. I haven't seen any additional information there about what makes an Ar-Magus, but I'm still reading it. At this point I'm guessing that it was just the title chosen by the leader of the Selskar order.

sleyvas: I always chuckle at that name. It can't help but sound like arse. Cue minions: "ah haha... bot-tom." I'm sure it is/was a great game, but to me it will always be Magic Butt.

Edit: yar, page 50 of the Dungeon adventure confirms that Magus and Ar-Magus were the top ranks of the order. Mystery solved.

lol, I only played the game once. All I can remember from it was that it was fairly unbalanced with very freeform spell play. Some people loved it, but personally, I like my spells a little more tidily prepared and designed. That being said, if you like the whole "storyteller" style of play it did fit well with and eventually molded into the vampire/werewold/changeling/mage the ascension, etc... world of darkness.
xaeyruudh Posted - 30 Sep 2014 : 15:50:34
Thanks kysus, that adventure definitely looks to be the source from which the Champions of Ruin summary was drawn. I haven't seen any additional information there about what makes an Ar-Magus, but I'm still reading it. At this point I'm guessing that it was just the title chosen by the leader of the Selskar order.

sleyvas: I always chuckle at that name. It can't help but sound like arse. Cue minions: "ah haha... bot-tom." I'm sure it is/was a great game, but to me it will always be Magic Butt.

Edit: yar, page 50 of the Dungeon adventure confirms that Magus and Ar-Magus were the top ranks of the order. Mystery solved.
sleyvas Posted - 30 Sep 2014 : 12:16:02
I could totally be off, but the name reminds me of Ars Magica (the old non-D&D RPG).
kysus Posted - 30 Sep 2014 : 07:43:25
you can try the Dungeon magazine 101 with the adventure "Prison of the Firebringer" by richard Baker, it may have more information in it for you. I also recall it having an item called the scepter of the Ar-magus in it too.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000