Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 What is an Ar-Magus?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2014 :  05:59:35  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've found it in Champions of Ruin; the section on Bazim-Gorag talks about an ar-magus named Ilviroon. The term seems familiar but Google isn't telling me anything and a search of these forums comes up blank. I probably saw it in non-D&D novels somewhere years ago. Was this simply the master of Selskartur, or is there a prestige class I missed somewhere?

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2014 :  07:43:25  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you can try the Dungeon magazine 101 with the adventure "Prison of the Firebringer" by richard Baker, it may have more information in it for you. I also recall it having an item called the scepter of the Ar-magus in it too.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2014 :  12:16:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could totally be off, but the name reminds me of Ars Magica (the old non-D&D RPG).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2014 :  15:50:34  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks kysus, that adventure definitely looks to be the source from which the Champions of Ruin summary was drawn. I haven't seen any additional information there about what makes an Ar-Magus, but I'm still reading it. At this point I'm guessing that it was just the title chosen by the leader of the Selskar order.

sleyvas: I always chuckle at that name. It can't help but sound like arse. Cue minions: "ah haha... bot-tom." I'm sure it is/was a great game, but to me it will always be Magic Butt.

Edit: yar, page 50 of the Dungeon adventure confirms that Magus and Ar-Magus were the top ranks of the order. Mystery solved.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 30 Sep 2014 16:21:50
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2014 :  00:33:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Thanks kysus, that adventure definitely looks to be the source from which the Champions of Ruin summary was drawn. I haven't seen any additional information there about what makes an Ar-Magus, but I'm still reading it. At this point I'm guessing that it was just the title chosen by the leader of the Selskar order.

sleyvas: I always chuckle at that name. It can't help but sound like arse. Cue minions: "ah haha... bot-tom." I'm sure it is/was a great game, but to me it will always be Magic Butt.

Edit: yar, page 50 of the Dungeon adventure confirms that Magus and Ar-Magus were the top ranks of the order. Mystery solved.

lol, I only played the game once. All I can remember from it was that it was fairly unbalanced with very freeform spell play. Some people loved it, but personally, I like my spells a little more tidily prepared and designed. That being said, if you like the whole "storyteller" style of play it did fit well with and eventually molded into the vampire/werewold/changeling/mage the ascension, etc... world of darkness.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2014 :  18:36:02  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems to be a regional or societal version of archmage... possibly a title of respect or a specific position of power
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000