Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 One Canon, One Story, One Realms (5e) THE SEQUEL

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 26 Jun 2012 : 21:44:41
Well met, all,

This is part two of the One Canon, One Story, One Realms thread. That thread was getting to be 65 pages long, which is basically impossible for anyone new to read. So I'm rebooting it (ironic, isn't it?) and reclarifying our purpose.

Statement of Vision: I believe strongly that the appropriate path forward for the Forgotten Realms is to create an all-inclusive vision of the setting that is open to all eras, and even all editions of the game.

The direction of 5e seems to be to produce a game that takes the best of every edition of D&D, and I think that's the way forward for the Realms as well.

Statement of Purpose: This thread is about discussing ways to connect lore from all the different eras to produce a Realms that fits my vision.

This thread is NOT about a retcon, a reboot, alternative timelines, or anything like that. There are plenty of threads to discuss these concepts. Please, if you want to bring up one of those concepts, go there. That's not what this thread is about.

I don't want to seem dismissive, but I will politely ignore suggestions of anything that breaks the continuity between the editions. We're looking at ways to pull things together, not break them apart. Please identify things that don't line up between the editions, and we'll talk about how 5e can rectify them.

But I'd really like not to hear "these settings can never come together," etc. That's not constructive or progressive. This thread is about moving forward.

Statement of Want: Give me your ideas, your suggestions, your desires for fixing things. Let's talk about those things that make the editions hard to reconcile, and find a way to reconcile them.

If possible, make your first post in this thread a set of two number ones:

1) Your number one favorite thing about the Realms, which needs to be preserved or developed. Give suggestions if you like.

2) Your number one thing that needs to be addressed, for you to love the Realms like you used to. Maybe you're upset about Mystra (which Ed is working on, so take some comfort there), or you want Halruaa back, or whatever. We all have things we want fixed. Here's where we discuss them.

Go!

Cheers
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zireael Posted - 04 Sep 2014 : 12:38:50
Seconded when it comes to Myth Drannor or other out of print boxed sets.
Cards77 Posted - 02 Sep 2014 : 14:27:56
I'm a few years late to the party but thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I never really went beyond 1372 DR, and from what I've read, I'm glad that I didn't. To me the Realms has always been about massive scale, with massive detail, but plenty of room for you to plop your stuff right in. Huge lands, countless ruins, nearly endless exploration, and tons of variety in races, deities, geography, cities, then all that stuff was doubled in scale due to the Underdark. The definition of an epic world, with epic heros. Was there a slight lack of villains? Perhaps, but like DMs need any excuses to create a villain.

When the maps were shrunk, that was a major problem for me. When the gods were "simplified", major problem. Variety is a massive attraction. If you don't like certain gods that seem redundant, then don't use them.

When large areas of the map began to be altered, that's when the problems began (for me).

Like any great product or IP, WOTC could re-release the 1st and/or 2nd edition boxed set with lots more maps and polish and make an absolute killing right now. This would cater to the "die hard old school" FR nerds like me.We would all kill for an updated, PF or 5E converted Ruins of Undermountain Boxed Set, or Myth Drannor boxed set.

Then they could offer a "cross version guide" for free that explains the differences between versions of the setting, and help you determine which version you may want to use in your game.

Fire up the rest of those out of print products, start repolishing them, fixing the errata, make them compatible with 5e D&D and PF.

We all know what happens when we try to please everyone!

Irennan Posted - 31 Aug 2014 : 11:57:49
Cool story. I too was imagining a campaign arc with Eilistraeens and Vhaerunites allying and trying to rebuild Miyeritar. Your point about the drow feeling crippled in their potential to grow and develop due to Lolth's rule, is something I envisioned as one of the main factors that the siblings could use to subvert their mother's rule (and something that I feel should somehow happen in the canonical FR as well).

I wouldn't care about the drow if it wasn't for E&V. I don't really like that race as it is portrayed in canon, because I find it to be stupid. I understand that drow are brainwashed, but really: they are stripped of choice about what to do with their life, they live in fear and paranoia and endless conflict, their dogma tells them that happiness is weakness and that they have no value beyond their ''power'' or how much Lolth favors them, and other random nonsensical stuff. The dark elves have been living like that for millennia (with any development, any new ideas suffocated in the name of tradition), have seen so many of their major plans fail, and are now -after all this time- in the exact same situation as after the Descent.
One would think that upon considering this -and with people and even two deities that go out of their way to offer them an alternative- a considerable group (still a minority) of drow would have chosen differently, but no: we are stuck with Drizzt, a bunch of masochist, one-note zealots who worship spiders, and nothing else. Seriously...
Inaubryn Posted - 31 Aug 2014 : 09:46:47
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

The novels did kinda leave things open as to Eilistraee and her brother, however I have a hard time seeing the Masked Lady making a return appearance. Good and Evil combined in one deity can cause contradictions more so for lower level deity.
4th Edition did little for Brown elves and nothing for followers of the Dark Maiden.

Thinking about the Masked Lady as it were. I wrote a story awhile back called "Emergence". Essentially, it was a story about a faction of drow who felt that their potential to grow as a race had been destroyed and continually sabotaged by the capricious Lolth. The denigration and marginalization of males was crippling drow as a race as well as the fostering of the culling of those "unworthy" of Lolth's blessing. To that end, they began turning others away from Lolth, both in worship and philosophy, and converting others to the worship of Vhaeraun in most instances and Eilistraee in others.

This was the first step in the emergence of the drow. The second step was escaping the oppressive and cruel Lolthians and drow society at-large. This was done in several ways. Members of Vhaeraun's and Eilistraee's clergy began holding secret gatherings proselytizing to those who may wish to turn from Lolth and attempting to convert high ranking members of society, mainly male wizards and warriors.

However, other more militant factions of the movement carried out a campaign of terror against the faithful of Lolth. Suicide attacks on Lolthian infrastructure, worshippers, houses and carrying out assassinations of high ranking Yathrin and Yath'tallar. These attacks served a dual purpose. Of course they were designed to inflict maximum casualties and fear into all those who worshipped Lolth and prove that her strength and rule was not absolute. But, they also served as a distraction which allowed them to funnel the converted out of the various drow strongholds across Faerun.

The third and final step of the Emergence was the reclamation of nation of Ilythiir. The entirety of the movement away from Lolth and those who serve her was predicated on a return to the surface. A return that many drow saw as long overdue. They, after following the Spider Queen, were cursed and banished to the lightless lands below by their former father, Corellon, for thousands of years. It was once again time for the light of the sun to shine upon their faces and for them to raise from the ashes the kingdom that had been destroyed millennia ago.

The only thing left to find out, is would the surface races tolerate a kingdom of drow living, in some instances, a stone's throw away from their own lands?

I said all of that to say this. I'd love to see these two deities return in one form or another. I could see the combined god/goddess, the Dark Lady, as the patron of these drow. She would be more purely neutral in nature than evil or good, than lawful or chaotic. Although, having her be lawful neutral wouldn't be out of order as these drow are not as backstabby as Lolthian drow. They're no more treacherous or evil than humans and protect their own for the most part. I think the Masked Lady would make a great patron for this.
Ren o the Research Posted - 28 Aug 2014 : 22:58:39
Interesting thread. I think this is my favorite forum thread on any forum on any site, ever. Speculative threads often run out of steam in a hurry, I'm glad to see it isn't the case here.
Tarlyn Posted - 24 May 2014 : 13:47:44
The Sundering series(both adventures and novels) has already revealed the return of several deities including Mask and Helm.
Kentinal Posted - 24 May 2014 : 01:45:30
The novels did kinda leave things open as to Eilistraee and her brother, however I have a hard time seeing the Masked Lady making a return appearance. Good and Evil combined in one deity can cause contradictions more so for lower level deity.
4th Edition did little for Brown elves and nothing for followers of the Dark Maiden. D&D next says they will include 4th and blend with prior Editions in some way. We know that Mystra is going to be back in some way or form (or at least we have been advised as to that) and we know little more that comes close to being stated plans for other deities.

For now at least the count down is more like months rather then the years of what the designers have put together. Lore matters to many, crunch matters to many so it only comes down to now how well WotC provides both as to how well 5th Edition will last.
Irennan Posted - 24 May 2014 : 00:52:25
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

[...]he gathered his children into his arms again. For all we know, they are healing, relearning, reconnecting etc. in Arvandor. And neither of their followers were wiped out entirely. They may be reborn again.

Meh. I would accept anything at this point, considering how screwed up anything related to those events is. There's also THE SUNDERING!!! (i.e the solution to everything you may want to happen). Plenty of ways to get Eilistraee and Vhaeraun (or the Masked Lady) back, a fancy story can undo anything. Thing is WotC has to actually want them back, and Idk if they do...
Eilserus Posted - 24 May 2014 : 00:27:21
Considering Corellon Larethian sat down for the grand sava game in Elistraee's place, it's entirely possible with their "deaths" he gathered his children into his arms again. For all we know, they are healing, relearning, reconnecting etc. in Arvandor. And neither of their followers were wiped out entirely. They may be reborn again.
Regcod Posted - 23 May 2014 : 12:01:19
This thread look like long ago discussed and abandoned, but many people already gave their impression and wrote down their wishes about what would see in the future Forgotten Realms.
Anyway, also if I'm in late, I would be happy to see back Eilistraee, Mystra and Helm, because they are three characteristics deity essential from my point of view. I'm just curious to know also how the Eilistraee's follower behaved after her demise and who whorshipped to keep their power (IF they changed at all deities), same thing for Helm.
The history holes are too much large now for playing with canonical history. There are a lot of hook for inspiration but, first at all there is the knowledge (curiosity :P) for knowing how they thought that period.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 24 Dec 2013 : 09:52:59
Hello Erik,

Resurrecting this thread, because I have a question or two.

In your very first post, you wrote:

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Statement of Vision: I believe strongly that the appropriate path forward for the Forgotten Realms is to create an all-inclusive vision of the setting that is open to all eras, and even all editions of the game.

The direction of 5e seems to be to produce a game that takes the best of every edition of D&D, and I think that's the way forward for the Realms as well.

Statement of Purpose: This thread is about discussing ways to connect lore from all the different eras to produce a Realms that fits my vision.

Since the last couple of posts prior to mine talk a little bit about words and etymology, I'm curious if you think there is any value in Realms products focusing--to any degree--on words, word history and how words and phrases change over time in the Realms.

Also, do you think there is any value in publishing (either in print or as a web enhancement) a sort of Realms dictionary?
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 24 Feb 2013 : 16:51:35
A couple thoughts:

1) All respect to Karsus (and for those who don't know me, let me assure you, I respect him a great deal), but his dictionary is NOT a canon source. Unless WotC has purchased it or otherwise endowed it with canon status and I haven't heard of it. That said, I am quite happy thinking of "cor" as meaning "grand" and "of the forest," see below.

2) Etymology is, at best, an interesting sagely pursuit. It is extremely rare that an etymological issue should ever be a "problem"--generally, it's when words are used to connote respect or feelings of equality when really they're steeped in the language of oppression or something like that. The fact that "Cor" can be seen to indicate "forest" or "great" isn't a problem, because it's generally a positive thing and neither of those is an insult to the object it is applied to. I fail to see how this is a "problem."

3) To engage with the discussion (which is fascinating), one could make the argument that "Forest" and "Grand" are so firmly linked in the elven psyche that both definitions of the word are valid. It's like how we might call someone "worldly" or "a man of the people" and have it be a compliment. Those things (the world, the good of all) we value extremely highly. For the elves, who value the forest and other growing things in the natural world, associating a person or thing with the forest is high praise indeed.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers
Markustay Posted - 24 Feb 2013 : 16:39:57
Yeah, that's what I was thinking - both probably have some root word in some forgotten Celestial tongue. I have a lot of fun creating linguistic connections in the lore I create.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't see an issue. Many languages have multiple words that mean the same thing.

Just in the English language, you have canine, cur, mutt, pooch, and dog all referring to the same thing, and the word hound is almost as generic.
But each has its mild connotations connected to it - thats what I was getting at. Both mean 'forest', but one's a very generic term (like 'dog'), and ones a 'grander' term (like 'pureblood').

The prefix 'Cor' means forest in a mystical sense - a way in which only Elves (and fey) can understand. So its more then just a language thing, its an alien-culture thing. (and now I am reminded of the interactions between the humans and the Na'vi from Avatar).
Bladewind Posted - 24 Feb 2013 : 16:01:39
Eidolon eh? As in idol or spirit-double?

That could mean that Corellon was originally an idol created by elves, a perispirit (the ethereal apparition that appear just before a spirit leaves the Material Primes) of some sort of warrior-hero? I always like to make gods spring forth from their worshippers needs (eventhough most myths claim creation stories attributed to being inititated by their creator god), as some kind of epic collective progammed illusion that gains autonomous self-awareness.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Feb 2013 : 15:36:12
I don't see an issue. Many languages have multiple words that mean the same thing.

Just in the English language, you have canine, cur, mutt, pooch, and dog all referring to the same thing, and the word hound is almost as generic.
Markustay Posted - 24 Feb 2013 : 14:44:01
Is this the thread where we try to 'fix' stuff? Its been awhile, and I know there was a couple (by Erik) with a similar theme.

Anyhow, I was looking into some stuff (big surprise there) and I needed to check Karsus' Eleven Dictionary (which I had thought was infallible), but alas, I ran into a problem. He has the prefix 'Cor' meaning 'grand'.

We have a mighty, ancient forest named Cormanthor, in which sits the forest kingdom of Cormanthyr. We also know that Cormyr literally translates to 'Forest Realm'. Now add in the fact that he has the word Vandor = 'Forest' (which I am sure he got from a canon source, since his entire dictionary is entirely based on canon).

Fix #1 - One's a word, and one's a prefix - that was simple enough. 'Vandor' (Vandora = plural) refers to 'any old clump of trees'. It just means a wooded area, and thats all - very generic. It would normally only be used by elves to describe a forest that does not belong to the Elves (to Elves, every forest is a kingdom - a Vandar would be something equivalent to 'an unclaimed kingdom')

Fix #2 - The prefix 'Cor' does mean grand, but it also means 'forest'. the problem stems from the fact we are not only trying to translate a word from another language, we are translating a word from another species, and a lot is getting lost in the process. The prefix 'Cor' means something akin to "as powerful and majestic as a Forest held in reverence by Tel'Quessir (The People)". Ergo, the prefix can be attached to an actual forest that has some importance to the elven people, or it can be attached to an honorific denoting some sort rulership over said forests. Thus, 'Coronal' actually means something closer to 'speaker of the trees', which has a very different meaning to elves then it would to a human (because trees are sacred, and are not ruled over, but rather, taken care of and defended). Once again, this is a racial/cultural thing - an elven 'kingdom' is nothing at all how a human perceives a kingdom. The name 'Corellon' could possibly stem from Cor Ellion*, which would roughly translate to 'high Lord of all forests' (and peoples). One must bear in mind Elves do not so much rule their lands, so much as they belong to them. They are its stewards. This relationship does not translate well into human tongues, so the closest any sage can come was the word 'grand' (which is close enough, but still somewhat inaccurate).

*which probably has a common etymology with eidolon
The Sage Posted - 31 Oct 2012 : 16:08:38
quote:

Don't let the vociferous arguments get you down.
Ah. So that's why my fellow work folk are always telling me to shut up.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 31 Oct 2012 : 14:36:26
Dennis, you clearly have a lot of faith in Karsus, and I know you're a fan of Netheril and wizards in general. Don't let the vociferous arguments get you down. Karsus will rise, and the Realms will tremble at his approach . . .

I mean, unless he doesn't.

To add further analysis:

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie4) What did Shar stand to gain by having Karsus's Avatar work? A lot. Best case, Karsus would replace Mystryl, a much weaker and inexperienced deity ripe for the plucking. She could either kill him or take him over as her dupe, which would increase her power dramatically. And with the world in crisis and Shar herself suddenly empowered, she could potentially win right there.
Inexperienced, yes. But weaker? I doubt that. He was already powerful enough as a mortal. By stealing Mystryl's essence, he had in turn all of Mystryl's power and control over the Weave. That made him a difficult prey.
I see you fall to the same hubris that prompted Karsus to think he could match a deity. (kidding!)

But seriously, on the deific stage (as in mortal life), inexperience = weakness, and I could envision Shar (or whatever other antagonistic god) taking out Karsus or enslaving him much more easily than the same could be done to Mystryl or even Mystra.

Even if Karsus somehow proved capable of taking over for Mystryl (which he himself admitted he could not do), I doubt he could take the Shadow Weave from Shar, much less "easily." Not even Mystra has been able to accomplish that.

Cheers
The Sage Posted - 31 Oct 2012 : 03:48:37
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
And seeing that the Shadow Weave is a great source of magic, he'd likely take it from her too.
You can't be serious? Karsus couldn't even handle the Weave, and you're expecting him to take on the Shadow Weave as well?
Karsus just needed some time to acclimate himself to his divine role (something he didn't get the chance to enjoy because Mystryl killed herself). After that, it would be relatively easy for him to take the Shadow Weave for himself.

How so? Karsus himself admitted that he wasn't up to becoming the next God of Magic. I don't see how you can apply a time factor when he already knew, right from the moment he ascended, that he couldn't handle it.

And I think it's a little disingenuous to suggest that it would be "easy for him to take the Shadow Weave for himself" when most other examples we have in the Realmslore of mortals assuming divine portfolios, have all be particularly harrowing affairs.

What's throwing me is that you're being so casual about Karsus coming to easily preside over both the Weave and the Shadow Weave. And yet, he'd already proved himself incapable of just trying to become one with only the Weave. How is he supposed to take on the Shadow Weave as well?

Karsus may have been a genius, and he may also have been powerful, but, again, I really think you're stretching the bounds of what's acceptable for him to accomplish in terms of the Realmslore.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 31 Oct 2012 : 03:46:37
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Maybe that was it. I thought there was a y in there, but I could be wrong. Hmm...well when he and Cale were sitting around the campfire, Magadon showed him his horns, and he said he was a tiefling. Maybe he was a cambion, but I seem to remember him being called a tiefling.

Yeah he tried passing himself off as a Tiefling and was able to because he didn't have any other fiendish traits. But, his father is a devil (an archdevil in his case) making him a half devil. Tieflings have some blood or infernal taint, cambions are the direct spawn of a human and a fiend.

Oh, okay, I see. It didn't say that, but I guess it makes sense, considering Mephistopheles was involved *shudders* there were some scenes in the Twilight Wars that greatly disturbed me, but Kemp did a good job, and I enjoyed the series.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Oct 2012 : 03:18:42
quote:

quote:

quote:
And seeing that the Shadow Weave is a great source of magic, he'd likely take it from her too.
You can't be serious? Karsus couldn't even handle the Weave, and you're expecting him to take on the Shadow Weave as well?
Karsus just needed some time to acclimate himself to his divine role (something he didn't get the chance to enjoy because Mystryl killed herself). After that, it would be relatively easy for him to take the Shadow Weave for himself.

The canon contradicts that. The canon states that Karsus knew immediately that he had made a mistake and could not handle it.

No matter how you spin it, no matter your personal desires on the matter, the canon Realmslore is that Karsus was flat out not up to the task, and even he knew it.
Tyrant Posted - 31 Oct 2012 : 03:12:28
quote:

Maybe that was it. I thought there was a y in there, but I could be wrong. Hmm...well when he and Cale were sitting around the campfire, Magadon showed him his horns, and he said he was a tiefling. Maybe he was a cambion, but I seem to remember him being called a tiefling.

Yeah he tried passing himself off as a Tiefling and was able to because he didn't have any other fiendish traits. But, his father is a devil (an archdevil in his case) making him a half devil. Tieflings have some blood or infernal taint, cambions are the direct spawn of a human and a fiend.
Dennis Posted - 31 Oct 2012 : 03:10:07
quote:

As I recall, he's a cambion. And it looks like FRWiki agrees with me.
Dennis Posted - 31 Oct 2012 : 03:05:39
quote:

quote:
CorellonsDevout Posted - 31 Oct 2012 : 02:53:06
Tyrant Posted - 31 Oct 2012 : 02:49:43
quote:

quote:

quote:

While we know some races like dragonborn are going back to Abeir after the Sundering, I'd like to see more books about tieflings. Erin M. Evans has been doing a great jobs with hers (so sorry, I am forgetting how to spell their names), and I loved Magadon from Erevis Cale, and Sarytha (sp?) from Blades of the Moonsea by Richard Baker. Novels featuring aasimar would be cool too. I haven't read much about them.
Tieflings have been around since 2e, and I see no evidence they are going away any time soon. The Brimstone Angels are a pretty cool duo, and Erin definitely seems to have a good story going there. And while Mags isn't personally my favorite character from Erevis Cale (I prefer Erevis himself!), he is a focal point of some of the most innovative storytelling we've seen in the Realms in recent years. So I definitely want to see more of him.

I haven't actually read Baker's latest series, so I'm not sure of the reference. Are you referring to Sarya Dlardrageth, queen of the Daemonfey (from the Last Mythal series)? She is actually a half-sun elf, half-demon (not a tiefling), and her army of fey'ri (demon-touched elves) are kind of to elves what tieflings are to humans. Her army was mostly broken in the 1370s, but scattered remnants remain all throughout the Realms. I actually wrote a DDI article about this that should be appearing on the WotC site any day now.

Cheers

Oh, I know they've been around awhile, I'm just saying I'd like to see more of them I loved Erevis himself too (and Riven), but I had a soft spot for Mags--maybe because he was a tiefling He just always resonated well with me.

No, not Sarya. I read Last Mythal (awesome series, IMO), so I know who she is. The one from Blades of the Moonsea was a male, and a tiefling. It was Sar-something. I suppose I could go look.

I think his name is Sarth. As a side note, I'm pretty sure Magadon is a Cambion (half devil), not a Tiefling.
The Sage Posted - 31 Oct 2012 : 02:47:14
quote:

Besides, I don't think Shar could have gained anything by having Karsus replace Mystryl. While Karsus didn't particularly dislike her, he was too arrogant, selfish, and independent to ally with her.
Perhaps.

Although since we know Karsus himself realised that he simply wasn't up to the task of managing such divine power, I'd have to question just why Shar would see him as an equal -- instead of some new plaything that she could willingly and easily manipulate under the guise of "helping him to adjust" to his new role.
quote:

Now I think you're really stretching things.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 31 Oct 2012 : 02:27:59
quote:

quote:

While we know some races like dragonborn are going back to Abeir after the Sundering, I'd like to see more books about tieflings. Erin M. Evans has been doing a great jobs with hers (so sorry, I am forgetting how to spell their names), and I loved Magadon from Erevis Cale, and Sarytha (sp?) from Blades of the Moonsea by Richard Baker. Novels featuring aasimar would be cool too. I haven't read much about them.
Tieflings have been around since 2e, and I see no evidence they are going away any time soon. The Brimstone Angels are a pretty cool duo, and Erin definitely seems to have a good story going there. And while Mags isn't personally my favorite character from Erevis Cale (I prefer Erevis himself!), he is a focal point of some of the most innovative storytelling we've seen in the Realms in recent years. So I definitely want to see more of him.

I haven't actually read Baker's latest series, so I'm not sure of the reference. Are you referring to Sarya Dlardrageth, queen of the Daemonfey (from the Last Mythal series)? She is actually a half-sun elf, half-demon (not a tiefling), and her army of fey'ri (demon-touched elves) are kind of to elves what tieflings are to humans. Her army was mostly broken in the 1370s, but scattered remnants remain all throughout the Realms. I actually wrote a DDI article about this that should be appearing on the WotC site any day now.

Cheers

Oh, I know they've been around awhile, I'm just saying I'd like to see more of them I loved Erevis himself too (and Riven), but I had a soft spot for Mags--maybe because he was a tiefling He just always resonated well with me.

No, not Sarya. I read Last Mythal (awesome series, IMO), so I know who she is. The one from Blades of the Moonsea was a male, and a tiefling. It was Sar-something. I suppose I could go look.
Dennis Posted - 30 Oct 2012 : 19:56:02
quote:

4) What did Shar stand to gain by having Karsus's Avatar work? A lot. Best case, Karsus would replace Mystryl, a much weaker and inexperienced deity ripe for the plucking. She could either kill him or take him over as her dupe, which would increase her power dramatically. And with the world in crisis and Shar herself suddenly empowered, she could potentially win right there.
Inexperienced, yes. But weaker? I doubt that. He was already powerful enough as a mortal. By stealing Mystryl's essence, he had in turn all of Mystryl's power and control over the Weave. That made him a difficult prey.
TBeholder Posted - 30 Oct 2012 : 16:21:38
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Either pre-4e fans will complain it's the same 4e, or 4e fans will complain it's not the same 4e, or both. Those who are okay with either probably won't object anyway. [...]
[...] What I am advocating is that we try to pave the way forward whilst avoiding further retcons, for instance "remove the Spellplague era."
Thanks for the confirmation.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000