Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 One Canon, One Story, One Realms (5e) THE SEQUEL
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  21:44:41  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met, all,

This is part two of the One Canon, One Story, One Realms thread. That thread was getting to be 65 pages long, which is basically impossible for anyone new to read. So I'm rebooting it (ironic, isn't it?) and reclarifying our purpose.

Statement of Vision: I believe strongly that the appropriate path forward for the Forgotten Realms is to create an all-inclusive vision of the setting that is open to all eras, and even all editions of the game.

The direction of 5e seems to be to produce a game that takes the best of every edition of D&D, and I think that's the way forward for the Realms as well.

Statement of Purpose: This thread is about discussing ways to connect lore from all the different eras to produce a Realms that fits my vision.

This thread is NOT about a retcon, a reboot, alternative timelines, or anything like that. There are plenty of threads to discuss these concepts. Please, if you want to bring up one of those concepts, go there. That's not what this thread is about.

I don't want to seem dismissive, but I will politely ignore suggestions of anything that breaks the continuity between the editions. We're looking at ways to pull things together, not break them apart. Please identify things that don't line up between the editions, and we'll talk about how 5e can rectify them.

But I'd really like not to hear "these settings can never come together," etc. That's not constructive or progressive. This thread is about moving forward.

Statement of Want: Give me your ideas, your suggestions, your desires for fixing things. Let's talk about those things that make the editions hard to reconcile, and find a way to reconcile them.

If possible, make your first post in this thread a set of two number ones:

1) Your number one favorite thing about the Realms, which needs to be preserved or developed. Give suggestions if you like.

2) Your number one thing that needs to be addressed, for you to love the Realms like you used to. Maybe you're upset about Mystra (which Ed is working on, so take some comfort there), or you want Halruaa back, or whatever. We all have things we want fixed. Here's where we discuss them.

Go!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  22:19:03  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't narrow down one particular thing I most love about the Realms, so I'll skip that for now.

For me, the number one thing that needs to be addressed above all else is the different plot lines severed with the time jump off of the end of the 3.5e era. We have Myth Drannor re-captured and then consolidated within a short time, the shades appearing and taking over Sembia to start rebuilding Netheril, an uneasy peace between Thay and Algorand, the troubles during Lloth's silence and its ramifications for drow society erased by their "redemption", Mulhorand conquering Unther, Azoun V coming of age and what that would mean for Cormyr, and, of course, all the chaos brought on by the spellplague.

However, all of this happens and is done, then we get jumped 100 years after the fact when all of this is simply part of history now and most of the young race characters are long dead. All of those different possible points of conflict are erased either during the last days of the 3.5e era or by forcing the setting 100 years into the future. We never get to see a Cormanthor being reclaimed, or adventure in Sembia as the Shades are trying to consolidate their power during the chaos of the spellplague. The drow lose two fantastic deities and we don't even have any idea how it was in the underdark for those drow cities not controlled by Lloth's priestesses with an iron fist, there's no wondering what Mulhorand will do now that they can turn their full attention on Thay, and how Thay's uneasy peace with the Simbul might change during that process. Cormyr's changeover from Alusair to Azoun V and it's actions immediately following the spellplague could make for an even more intrigue filled land of noble scheming than even Cormyr is used to, and the chaos and terror immediately following the spellplague certainly would call for adventurers. I know I have also left out dozens, maybe hundreds of smaller subplots and adventuring possibilities that are gone as well, but these are some of the major issues that I could think of off the top of my head.

The gods being fools, random places destroyed, even magic going crazy again I think at this point I think I could accept into the realms tentatively. But the loss of so many possible stories is harder, and is something I am not sure can be tied into the realms. Gods can be brought back and places rebuilt, but the time and possibilities lost with the 100 year jump is harder to see a fix for. That said, for WotC at this point it may be easier to write off people like me and, rather than worry about the multitude of stories, characters, and adventures they invalidated simply do their best to make plots, interesting characters, and adventuring possibilities for their 1470's realms instead. I'm willing to admit that I have no idea if my preferences are in a majority.

Edited by - idilippy on 26 Jun 2012 22:24:18
Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  22:33:58  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wrote a small novel and, damn it, I will not see it buried under an off-topic pseudo flame war, so I'm going to go ahead and take a few minutes out of my birthday and repost my last few posts here. :P

quote:
quote:
I definitely would be interested in hearing your ideas. That's the whole point of this thread!

Sure thing. Let’s see…

1) Mystra: She absolutely has to come back. I’m glad to hear that Ed’s working on it. My hope, though, would be for it to be the Midnight personality. I was a bit appalled by that plot point not just because they killed off Mystra, the flagship character of the setting, but that it was done in that manner. The whole scenario reeked of a bad Lifetime movie in which a man obsessed with a woman breaks into her home and murders her. It seems cheap and it made Mystra seem weak and pathetic as she was essentially butchered by her stalker. Mystra/Midnight coming back and paying Cyric back in kind would be nice (Though that doesn’t mean I want Cyric dead. I can’t stand the little turd but he still does make a pretty good setting villain). I'd like to see her rebuild Dweomerheart, reconstitute the Weave and either bring Azuth back along with her, or elevate a mortal to take his place as an Exarch in her service. Maybe Elminster, the Simbul, or even Alustriel can fill the role?

(That’s another one that gets me, killing Alustriel. She’s not a big time adventurer, but a city ruler. She’s about as innocuous an NPS as you can get, so I don’t see why they felt they had to kill her to appease Forgotten Realms haters.)

2) Helm: If you’re working on his return, then that’d be great, too. I look forward to seeing him take his place in Celestia in Torm’s service.

3) Nobanion: This is coming out of left field I know, but whatever happened to this guy? I was just reminded of him while writing the above. I wouldn’t mind seeing him also enter into Torm’s service and move to Celestia. He seems like he’d be a great fit there. The way I’d like to see the organization of Celestia is as follows: Torm, Bahamut, and Ilmater forming the Triad, with Torm (Greater God) as the top point and Bahamut and Ilmater (Gods) as the two bottom points, while Helm and Nobanion are the sword and standard of Torm.

Now if only Celestia wasn’t such a sausage fest. Damn that Siamorphe…

4) Lathander: Here’s why I think combining him with Amaunator is silly. The idea is that there’s a Sun God and he goes through different phases, and we’ve seen those phases being Dawn, Midday, and Dusk. And since Lathander and Amaunator didn’t coexist, then they must be the same, but in a different phase. The problem with that is that neither of them have ever been a God of Dusk. That was Myrkul, and he and Lathander coexisted for a long time just fine. The argument would make sense if he was all three, but he’s not. He’s two phases while some other guy was the third. So he bounces back and forth between God of Dawn and God of Midday? That doesn’t make much sense at all. On top of which they’re both completely different personalities. So in my opinion, Lathander should be brought back as a separate god. In addition…

5) Myrkul: Myrkul should be brought back, too. He’ll no longer be God of the Dead but he can still reclaim the rest of his Portfolios of Autumn, Corruption, Decay, Dusk, Exhaustion, Old Age, Parasites, and Wasting. He can also claim Velsharoon’s old Portfolios of Necromancy and Undeath now that that poor bastard’s bitten the dust. Myrkul’s an interesting personality and frankly I’ve missed him all these years and I’d love to see his triumphant return and have him build a new Castle of Bones somewhere out in the Astral Sea. I’m also linking him up to Lathander above because I think that they, along with Amaunator, can create an interesting dynamic. Sun gods have been done to death, and having a generic “sun god” for the setting isn’t doing the Forgotten Realms any favors, but if you were to have three sun gods, each of which represents a different phase of the sun, dawn, midday, and dusk? Think of what each means, and what each god would represent.

Lathander is the Dawnbringer, the sun that rises in the morning, which means that he represents new beginnings, a casting off of the past, and constant change and evolution. He’s the ever-changing universe and the newborn star blazing out in the black. Amaunator is the God of Midday, and represents stability, stagnancy, and the status quo. He’s a sun in the full power of its life, set in its ways. Myrkul is the Lord of Dusk and represents the forces of entropy, decay, and the end of all things. He’s the lifeless star within a universe which grows ever colder. Each of those, Dawn, Midday and Dusk represent something wholly different, and I think the Forgotten Realms could benefit from having a trio of gods who represent each and are constantly in opposition to each other because of their natures.

6) Mask: His return’s a must. And let him have the Portfolio of Intrigue, already. Given what I’ve read the past few days about the circumstances of his death, he definitely deserves it, especially since he’s much better at it than Cyric. Has Cyric ever gotten away with any of his intrigues? And should Myrkul be brought back I’m sure he’d be willing to let Mask have a piece of his domain where he can hang his hat in and be safe from both Cyric and Shar.

7) Bhaal: This one’s another personal wish of mine. I’ve always loved “the Dead Three”, and Bane’s already back, so how about giving Realms fans back the full set? Make him an Exarch at least in service to Myrkul if he ever comes back, or Bane.

8) Eilistraee & Vhaeraun: I understand the argument about wanting to get the Drow back to their roots, but the problem with that is that getting them back to their roots is also synonymous with making them a one-note caricature. Eliminating these two gods eliminated all the character growth which the Drow as a race had experienced. There’re plenty of ways to make the Drow more villainous, but at the same time, that doesn’t mean that the variety of portrayals which they had should be obliterated. So personally I’d really like to see both Eilistraee and Vhaeraun return.

Incidentally, isn’t 1484 The Year of the Awakened Sleepers? If one wants to claim that the ‘dead’ gods are sleeping, then that might be a good year to bring them back.

9) Zhentil Keep and the Zhentarim: I’d like to see these go back to the way they were and with Manshoon at the helm. It’d be nice if Manshoon were to reassert control of the Zhentarim in a Godfather style St. Valentine’s Day Massacre scenario in which he eliminates all potential rivals to the Zhentarim and remakes them into the wizard led army/secret organization for advancing his interests and Zhentil Keep’s interests around the world, and uses them to retake and rebuild Zhentil Keep. An alliance between a rebuilt Zhentil Keep, the Dalelands, Myth Drannor, and Cormyr against Netheril would also be pretty nice. Like the Soviet Union in the Allies versus the Axis. Team up with an evil to fight against an even greater evil. That’d open up a ton of intrigue as they need Zhentil Keep, but at the same time they can’t trust them, particularly Manshoon.

10) Elturgard: Just a bugaboo I had after reading the book, but it’d be nice to see Elturgard explicitly stated as being dedicated to Amaunator. Torm doesn’t make sense at all given all the other circumstances of that country.

11) Halruaa & Lantan: Was there ever an explanation for why the highly magical nation of Halruaa was torched to the ground by the Spellplague while the highly magical nation of Netheril escaped its effects unscathed? Anyway…

I like the idea of the Halruaan’s rescuing the Lantanese and the two nations joining forces to found a new country. It’s possible that Halruaan skyships came across Lantan just as disaster was striking them and were able to rescue a large portion of their population. The alliance between the survivors of Halruaa and Lantan could also be the origin of Warforged in the Forgotten Realms. They would’ve needed an army to survive, and with their depleted populations, the only option they’d have would be to manufacture one. The Lantanese already sort of had this ability in 3E with the Techsmiths able to create Gondsmen. Combining their expertise with that of the incredible magical knowledge possessed by the Halruaan’s that should give them what they need to be able to come up with Warforged, which is what their standing army could currently consist of.

As for their current location, your guess is as good as mine. It’s been 100 years, though, so they still shouldn’t be wandering Faerun like refugees a la Battlestar Galactica. They should’ve already found somewhere to call home and already be settled there. After all, the ancestors of the Five Companies may not be the only Halruaan’s who escaped the devastation of Halruaa. To continue the Battlestar Galactica analogy, maybe the Five Companies were the Battlestar Pegasus equivalents while there were another group of Halruaan survivors who were the Battlestar Galactica and Colonial fleet equivalents, and they were the ones who saved the Lantanese and settled elsewhere?

And yes, I’d love to read a novel about that.

12) Mulhorand & Unther: Mulhorand was fantastic and characterful and I’m dumbfounded that the developers ever thought it’d be a good idea to get rid of it. It was also on the cusp of conflict with all its neighbors in 3E, including Thay, and that was suddenly swept away with the advent of 4E? Like the commenter on that video link I posted above said, the game opportunities not only narrowed as a result, but flattened as the conflict between Mulhorand and the Red Wizards never occurred with Mulhorand being whisked away while the Red Wizards were all turned into undead loyal to Szass Tam. As for what’s going on with Abeir, I have to be honest and say that I don’t particularly care. That’s a whole other campaign world, and as a fan of the Forgotten Realms, it’s Faerun and its immediate environs which interest me.

So in short, I’d like to see Mulhorand return, and the seeds of that possibility are right there in the 4E FRCG. Nezram the Worldwalker is a wizard who’s A) experienced at planar travel, B) loves his country, and C) hates the High Imaskari to pieces. It shouldn’t be too much trouble for him to be able to track down Abeir and what happened to Mulhorand and its people. So he has the ability to provide planar travel and can work the necessary magic to bring Mulhorand back. There’s also the Mulhorandi gods themselves, who’ve long shown an interest in looking after and protecting the Mulhorandi people. They’re not just going to take this disaster which has hit their people lying down, particularly if the Mulhorandi people want to go back home (and after being there for four thousand years, Toril is their home). Nevermind how the people might react once they find out that the Imaskari have moved into their lands (Like Nezram, they’ll probably also believe that it was an Imaskari plot, so they’ll definitely want some payback). So while Nezram can provide the means for them to go home, the Mulhorandi gods and their legions of clerics can provide the power to make that transition possible.

So between Nezram and whatever other means he discovered should he have found that race of serpent men he was looking for, the Mulhorandi gods, as well as anything the Mulhorandi might have found on Abeir, it's possible they could be able to bring their civilization back to Faerun, with all the peoples from both Unther and Mulhorand. Five million pissed off Mulhorandi (and possibly an army of those serpent people that Nezram was looking for) descend on the Imaskari and drive them down into Deep Imaskar, with High Imaskar perhaps able to maintain a small portion of land while the Mulhorandi reconquer most of the rest. The Dragonborn in Tymanther are able to repel the Mulhorandi presence within their borders but are left with a couple million Untherite refugees begging for asylum and safety from the Mulhorandi. The end result is that Mulhorand is back and is in a cold war state with both Deep Imaskar beneath its feet (and possibly what's left of High Imaskar on the surface) and Tymanther to its west, which is left reeling after having suddenly absorbed millions of refugees.

13) Luiren: I’d like to see those plucky little Halflings get a new nation. Just because Halflings are nomads in the core setting that doesn’t mean the same has to hold true in Forgotten Realms. The little blighters deserve to have a new homeland.

14) Thay: It’d be nice if WotC were to pull back from talking about how the undead ridiculously outnumber the living. Szass Tam isn’t an idiot. You need living people to create new undead, and if most of your people are already undead then your numbers can only go down as your undead servants are destroyed and you don’t have enough living people to replace them. Moreover, one of the things that made Thay interesting was their variety in magical power, with each Zulkir representing a different school of magic. You might thwart the plans of a Red Wizard of Necromancy in one adventure, in which you confront his undead minions, but in another adventure you might deal with the illusory power of an Illusionist Red Wizard. That variety was nice, as was the power play between the various Zulkir’s. What’s not interesting is having all the Zulkir’s engage in necromancy, with Szass Tam the undisputed ruler of them all.

So my preference would be for Thay to go back to being more like it was. Zulkir’s who represent different magical disciplines, and each of which is a potential threat to Szass Tam, and a Thayvan population in which the living constitute the majority. I want to see the Red Wizards as an organization reemerge, with Mulan children being taken in and trained as Red Wizards. And should Mulhorand come back then a couple hundred thousand of them could end up going over to Thay to help repopulate the living Mulan population. Either way, Thay as an Icecrown equivalent with Szass Tam in the role of the Lich King is just not a good idea. Making the Red Wizards all about necromancy all the time is just plain boring.

As for their magical diversity, I have no idea how to handle that. It really depends on the magical rules in 5E. Will schools of magic come back? If they do then the answer is easy, as you could go back to how it was with a Zulkir for Necromancy, Illusion, Conjuration, etc. But if not, then there’re other options which could potentially be pursued. Maybe the Red Wizards are changed to account for other magical traditions beyond Wizard magic? Perhaps you can have a Zulkir who represents Swordmages, another who represents Warlocks, and one who represents Sorcerers? Then there’s the Zulkir of Wizards, the Zulkir of Necromancers (Szass Tam), and Zulkir’s representing any other magical traditions which exist in D&D 5E. That’s a possibility, although I’d prefer the traditional schools of magic (One way to handle that could potentially be through themes. Maybe a Forgotten Realms supplement could include "Illusionist", "Conjuerer", "Enchanter" themes which can be applied to Wizards to give them more of a specialist wizard flavor, thus allowing for Red Wizards as they were to return in some way).

So yeah, it’d be nice if Thay were to be put back on track to what it was. And if Mulhorand were to reappear, I’d love to see an escalation of conflict between the two, which would pit Thay’s magical might against Mulhorand’s divinely fueled power. I want to see a battle in which Wizards, Necromancers, and Swordmages duke it out with Clerics, Invokers, and Avengers.

15) Villains: I'm tired of all Shades, all the time. There should be an attempt to elevate all the villains of the Realms equally, instead of making everything about Netheril, the Shades, and Shar. Make Thay a major threat again, bring back Zhentil Keep and the Zhentarim and make them a major threat again, and so on. Put lots of emphasis on the activities of all the major evil gods, Shar, Cyric, Bane, Lolth, Asmodeus, Gruumsh, and hopefully Myrkul. The more the merrier because variety is what makes things interesting. The Shar Show is boring. The Shar, Bane, Cyric, Myrkul, Asmodeus, Gruumsh, & Lolth Show, however, would be a damn fine show to watch. Make them and their plots constant threats which have to be dealt with at all times, along with those threats posed by the Red Wizards, Netheril, the Cult of the Dragon, and more, and it'd be a very interesting setting.

16) Abeir: …can go pound sand. No interest in seeing it explored.

Anyway, that’s what I have for now. I’m sure I’ll think up more later on.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

the gag is, does Dusk actually have anything to do with the sun or does it have anything to do with the night??
Shar has the deal now....

Well, it'd be more about the sun that's set rather than the night itself, which is Shar. Shar wants to obliterate all existence, but that's not something that Myrkul wants, because he likes existence. He just likes to make the foundations crumble, to break things apart and leave them in ruin. But if nothing exists, if nothing new's being built, then there's nothing for him to chip away at. So while the three of them would be opposed to each other, they'd also form a kind of symbiotic relationship. From what Myrkul destroys, Lathander creates. What Lathander creates Amaunator preserves. And what Amaunator preserves Myrkul destroys. That doesn't mean any of them would like what the other two do, though, and they'd constantly be at odds with the others.

quote:
An addendum to my previous post.

quote:
7) Bhaal: This one’s another personal wish of mine. I’ve always loved “the Dead Three”, and Bane’s already back, so how about giving Realms fans back the full set? Make him an Exarch at least in service to Myrkul if he ever comes back, or Bane.

I was thinking of ways to bring Bhaal back and make him relevant, and then it occured to me.

KILL OFF ZEHIR.

Why is this guy even in the Forgotten Realms? After countless gods who've existed in the setting for years were mercilessly killed off, did we really need to see a god from the bland core setting added to the list at the last minute? Who needs this guy? He's not integral to the setting at all, and has a grand total of 71 words in the FRCG making some kind of reference to him. My suggestion is to get rid of him and let Bhaal be the one to do it. Let's see a returned Bhaal assassinate Zehir right in Shar's own domain, the Towers of Night, claim the Portfolios of Darkness, Poison, Serpents, and Assassins from Zehir's corpse, and take his place not as a mere exarch but as a god in service to either Bane or (preferably) Myrkul.

Bhaal's claiming the Portfolio of Serpents would make double sense, too, if one were to consider the Bhaalspawn. Are they canon by the way? Well, assuming they are (and even if they're not, there's no reason why an adapted version of the Baldur's Gate story can't be introduced as canon to the setting), from what I understand once only one Bhaalspawn remains the power split between the others will manifest wholly in the remaining Bhaalspawn and Bhaal would be reborn from that Bhaalspawn. So like Bane and Iyachtu Xvim, Bhaal would resurrect from the flesh of his own child. In this case, then, what if the last remaining child was the union of Bhaal and a serpentine creature of some sort? Maybe a Yuan-Ti or a Sarrukh? That would in turn justify Bhaal not only becoming the god of assassins, but a serpent god as well.

quote:
Wow, this thread is long. I tried to catch up with it but it's taking me forever. Even after skimming through it I'm only up to page 32. But anyway, here’re a couple of responses.

First up, a poster earlier made a comment that reminded me of a reaction I had to the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book for 3E when I first bought it. While I adore that book, there was an issue with it that I did notice almost immediately after I bought it, and that was the overabundance of powerful good NPC's like Elminster and the Seven Sisters. Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem whatsoever with their existence in the campaign setting or their being extremely powerful and having their power reflected in stats in the game. No more than I'd have a problem with playing a superhero campaign in set in the DC Universe, which contains heroes like Superman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern. There's no reason a campaign world shouldn't already have powerful established heroes.

The problem, though, comes when those NPC heroes thoroughly eclipse the villains who also have stats in the book. It gives the impression that they're more than capable of handling all the major threats on their own and then some. Here's a brief list of both heroes and villains from the FRCS (I'm using their CR's and not their levels, as some of them have templates added to them, are powerful monsters, etc.) to illustrate my point.

HEROES
39 Elminster
36 The Simbul
32 Storm Silverhand
31 Khelben “Blackstaff” Arunsun
28 Alustriel
18 Drizzt Do’Urden
17 Ningal
15 Caladnei
13 Mirt
10 Alusair Obarskyr

That’s ten heroes from the FRCS. Now let's look at the ten most powerful villains in the same book.

VILLAINS
31 Szass Tam
30 Halaster Blackcloak
25 Klauth: Dragon of the North
25 Manshoon
23 Fzoul Chembryl
22 Hadrhune
18 Artemis Entreri
18 Gerti Orelsdottr
17 Semmemon
15 Scyllua Darkhope

Note the power disparity? The most powerful villain is separated from the most powerful hero by 8 CR levels. The second most powerful villain is separated from the second most powerful villain by 6 CR levels. The third most powerful villain is separated from the second most powerful villain by 7 CR levels. The fourth most powerful villain is separated from the second most powerful villain by 6 CR levels. And the fifth most powerful villain is separated from the second most powerful villain by 5 CR levels. You have to go down to the fourth most powerful hero to find an even match for the most powerful villain. That disparity is even worse when you consider that it's usually someone like Manshoon who Elminster goes up against, and the power disparity in that scenario is even more lopsided in Elminster's favor.

This was just a continuation from 2E. In the Heroes Lorebook, the heroes who were Level 20 and above were:

30 The Simbul
29 Elminster
27 Khelben “Blackstaff” Arunsun
25 Laeral Silverhand
24 Alustriel Silverhand
22 Storm Silverhand
20 King Azoun Obarskyr IV
20 Cadderly
20 Gwydion

By contrast, the villains who were Level 20 and higher were:

30 Halaster Blackcloak
29 Szass Tam, Zulkir of Necromancy
20 Maligor, Zulkir of Alteration

It's one thing to have powerful heroic NPC's. That's fine in my view. What caused the problem, though, was that these powerful heroic NPC's were paired up against vastly weaker villainous NPC's. The 4E Realms designers decided that the solution to that was to start slaughtering the Seven Sisters and the Chosen at will, and cripple Elminster. That was a really bad solution, though, and it makes more problems than it solves as it destroys storyline opportunities. A better solution would be to instead beef up the power levels of the existing villains as well as to introduce new powerful villains (That was actually one of the few things that the 4E Realms got right, by beefing up the power levels of both Manshoon and Fzoul, who're now both Level 28. Unfortunately they made Fzoul an Exarch which, in my opinion, sets a very bad example. One imagines that Elminster and the Simbul are Level 29 or 30, so even after being made a god they're still more powerful than him?).

The 3E Realms did a pretty good job of introducing new villains (Scyllua Darkhope was a favorite, and I was sorry to see her die), but the Realms needs far more powerful villains to counteract the heroes. A good rule of thumb would be to stat up two epic villains in any campaign supplement for every one epic hero that receives stats. So yes, by all means, provide stats for Elminster in a sourcebook...

...but then provide stats for Manshoon and Fzoul and make each of them of comparable power to Elminster.

Personally I think that would go a long way towards counteracting the perception that there's no need for the player characters in the Forgotten Realms because the NPC heroes can do it all. It's easy to believe that Elminster, a 29th-Level Wizard, can solve all of Toril's problems on his own when he typically faces off against Manshoon, a 19th-Level Wizard, and Fzoul Chembryl, a 16th-Level Cleric. It's a whole different story, though, when Elminster, a 29th-Level Wizard, has to contend with Manshoon, a 29th-Level Wizard, and Fzoul Chembryl, a 29th-Level Cleric. In that case then he's not dominating the competition. He's barely holding the line, and it's up to the player characters to tip the balance in the favor of good.

The same holds true for the Chosen. When the only examples of Chosen are heroes it gives further credence to the idea that the heroes of the setting vastly overpower the villains. The answer to that, then, is to introduce more villainous Chosen into the setting. 3E took a good step in that direction when they made Fzoul a Chosen of Bane (although sadly they still left him Level 19). The 5E Realms should go even further than that. Let’s see some more Chosen of Bane, as well as Chosen of Shar, Cyric, Lolth, Gruumsh, etc. And introduce two or so of comparable power for every one Chosen that appears from the good deity’s (Mystra, Torm, Selune, etc.).

As you say at the start of the thread, this should be about additive lore, not subtractive lore. Likewise, that’s what the 4E Realms design team should’ve had in mind when they were working on the setting. They should’ve thought “What can we add to this setting to make it better?” instead of “What can we take away from this setting to make it better?” because, personally speaking, I think the former would’ve been better for the world than what the latter turned out to be. And I think the Realms would’ve been far better off seeing existing villains beefed up and new villains added than to have existing heroes killed off or otherwise handicapped.

quote:
If you had to pick 12-13 deities to include in the 5e Forgotten Realms Players Guide (or whatever it ends up being called), what would they be? And why? I've already given my list--I'd be interested to see what else people go with. Remember that the kind of baseline assumption is: "These are the deities an adventurer is most likely to worship. Experienced players who know more about the Realms or are willing to delve into the lore can choose any FR deity from the expanded list to worship."

Well, I went with 15, which is a good solid number to me. Here’s what I have.

1) Corellon Larethian [CG; Greater God]: Magic, Music, Poetry, the Arts, Crafts, Bards, War, Warriors, Elves.
2) Helm [LN; God]: Guardians, Protectors, Protection.
3) Ilmater [LG; God]: Martyrdom, Endurance, Perseverance, Suffering.
4) Kelemvor [LN; Greater God]: Death, the Dead.
5) Lathander [NG; Greater God]: Dawn, Spring, Renewal, Birth, Vitality, Youth, Athletics, Self-Perfection, Creativity.
6) Mask [NE; God]: Shadows, Intrigue, Thievery, Thieves.
7) Mielikki [CG; God]: Autumn, Forests, Forest Creatures, Dryads, Rangers.
8) Moradin [LG; Greater God]: Creation, Metalwork, Smithing, Stonework, Protection, Dwarves.
9) Mystra [LN; Greater God]: Magic, Spells, the Weave.
10) Oghma [N; Greater God]: Knowledge, Invention, Inspiration, Bards.
11) Selune [CG; Greater God]: The Moon, Stars, Prophecy, Good and Neutral Lycanthropes, Navigation, Questers.
12) Silvanus [N; Greater God]: Wild Nature, Druids.
13) Tempus [CN; Greater God]: Battle, War, Warriors.
14) Torm [LG; Greater God]: Justice, Duty, Honor, Loyalty, Obedience, Paladins.
15) Tymora [CG; God]: Good Fortune, Skill, Victory, Adventurers.

And a couple notes.

5) As I've argued before, I think Lathander and Amaunator should be separate gods. They'd also attract separate kinds of worshippers. A Lathanderite would be the type to go looking for problems to solve, apply a quick fix, and move on to something new. It's the worshipper of Amaunator who'd stay in an area and handle things longterm. So in temperament, then Lathanderite is more the adventuring sort.

6) He's the only evil god on the list because I think worshippers of Mask can still function in a group of mostly good characters, as Rogues, Thieves and such are already a bit shady, but don't necessarily have to be evil.

14) I'm assuming that Torm has Tyr's old portfolio of Justice, which is why he's a Greater God, now. I also think he should have the Portfolio of Honor. Duty, Honor, and Justice being his watchwords sounds about right to me.

quote:
Here’s another addendum to my prior post regarding Zhentil Keep and the Zhentarim.

The problem with bringing back Zhentil Keep is that, even at its strongest, it was unable to repel the Shadovar. So if anybody comes along and tries to rebuild Zhentil Keep then the Netherese will just sweep in and stomp them flat all over again, only this time they’ll have an easier time of it. So the only way for Zhentil Keep to come back is if it reemerges out of the gate with enough strength to make Netheril stop and consider if attacking the resurgent Zhentil Keep is too much of a risk, which would give them enough time to form an alliance with Myth Drannor, the Dalelands, and Cormyr, thus ensuring their safety in the long-term. And the only way for Zhentil Keep to come back right out the gate with that much strength would be as a result of careful planning, the accumulation of power without drawing attention, and/or through the use of a MacGuffin. Fortunately, though, this could be a very reasonable possibility given that both Manshoon and Fzoul Chembryl are still around and have had 100 years to plan the resurrection of Zhentil Keep.

Both Manshoon and Fzoul would have every reason to want to see Zhentil Keep rebuilt. More than that, it’d be a point of pride for them, particularly Fzoul, who died in the defense of Zhentil Keep. The way I see it, neither of them would be content until they can prove that they can come back from that defeat stronger and better than ever. So I could see the two of them plotting the resurgence of Zhentil Keep immediately following Fzoul’s resurrection by Bane. To that end they could have initiated a long-term to insinuate themselves and their agents into positions of power within the Moonsea and surrounding areas. Mulmaster is a given. Towards the end of 3E it was already an unofficial part of the Zhentarim power base, so much so that they even faked a naval defeat to bolster Zhentil Keep. Moreover, there’s an enormous Banite influence in Mulmaster, and who is it that directs the Banite faith? Fzoul Chembryl.

So picture this: Manshoon and Fzoul surreptitiously gain control over not only Mulmaster, but Hillsfar, Phlan, Melvaunt, and Thentia. They’ve had 100 years to worm their agents into positions of influence, and after a century, all of these cities are now firmly under their control. Take Torin Nomerthal of Hillsfar, for instance. Supposedly First Lords only serve for a single term, but Nomerthal is into his third term. What if he’s so successful because he’s being propped up by outside interests, namely the Zhentarim, and is in actuality a member of the Zhentarim himself?

Their interests may extend beyond the Moonsea, too, as Impiltur is also vulnerable. This is a country that keeps going from bad to worse, so how do they solve their problems? They hire a mercenary company known for its ruthless efficiency, the Zhentarim. They show up, ruthlessly exterminate the demon-worshippers, and end up staying. And all of this is accomplished thanks to the help of Behroun Marhana, a man who’s been in the public life of Impiltur for over 80 years. A man who gained his position about 20 years after the Spellplague, and 20 years since Manshoon and Fzoul would’ve first begun plotting. So Behroun Marhana may not only be an agent of Manshoon and Fzoul, he may have gained his position due to them from the very start.

So with the city-states of the Moonsea and Impiltur beneath their control, they direct their agents to have these nations decide to form a union to better resist Netherese influence, and because they’re all “equal” partners in this endeavor, and none want to be considered to have undue influence by playing host to the capital city of the new nation, they decide to take Zhentil Keep and rebuild it as their new capital city. So just like that Zhentil Keep is back and stronger than ever as it now serves as the capital city of an empire which stretches across the Moonsea and Impiltur. The Council of Lords is reestablished with Fzoul Chembryl, Behroun Marhana, Torin Nomerthal, and other representatives from all the other cities, with Manshoon serving as First Lord. With all that assembled might at their backs that may just be enough to give Netheril pause and make them reconsider launching another all-out attack against Zhentil Keep.

As for the Zhentarim itself, one could say that what’s presented in the FRCG is their public face. Think of the 47 Ronin. They presented themselves to the public in such a way as to make people think that they weren’t a threat, when the whole time they were plotting the downfall of Kira. Likewise with the Zhentarim who, under the direction of Manshoon, might be portraying themselves as nothing more than a simple mercenary company when the reality is far different. Instead of just being out for money their goal is to recruit and train powerful agents to their cause, gathering intelligence across Faerun, and searching for powerful magical artifacts which can be used to defend against the Shadovar. A search which may very well have led them to the Phaerimm Memory Spire, and the possibility of finding a powerful magical artifact created by the Phaerimm to fight against Netheril. That’s another thing which could potentially hold off an attack from Netheril, giving Zhentil Keep the time to rearm and rebuild.*

In addition, while the Cyricists gained control of the Zhentarim in the immediate aftermath of the destruction of Zhentil Keep, Manshoon’s had 100 years to slowly weed them out of the organization and replace them with far more disciplined and loyal soldiers. The Pereghost could be the start of that. Like Fzoul, one could easily see him returning to the Banite fold. Being CE never suited him, anyway, as he’s always been a more Lawful Evil type. He’s a character who should definitely be elevated, though, as he’s always been interesting but woefully underused. So have him rededicate himself to the worship of Bane, ally himself with Manshoon and Fzoul, and spearhead the strengthening and sharpening of the Zhentarim. As for how he’s survived the past 100 years, perhaps he’s become a Death Knight?

Another powerful agent which Manshoon and Fzoul could make use of is a resurrected Scyllua Darkhope. She’s too good a villain to see go to waste, so why not have Bane bring her back to life and make her a Chosen of Bane (A Chosen of Bane, not the Chosen of Bane. I’d prefer to see more)? He did bring Fzoul back, after all, so why not Scyllua too? She comes back and serves both Manshoon and Fzoul within the Zhentarim, advancing their cause and moving their plans forward. And once Zhentil Keep is rebuilt she can return to her old job of Castellan.

So the end result of all this?

1) Zhentil Keep returns stronger than ever.

2) Netheril has a new powerful enemy to the east.

3) Myth Drannor, the Dalelands, and Cormyr have a potential powerful new ally and/or enemy (even if they were to ally together for mutual defense, there’s absolutely no way they’d be able to trust the Zhents, who’d still be a threat to them, albeit a more subtle one as they wouldn’t jeopardize any alliance by making any overt moves).

4) Vesperin and Tantras are surrounded on three sides by Banite forces.

5) Powerful villainous NPC’s reappeared or are resurrected. And with 100 years since we last saw them they could easily be epic level threats by now, particularly if WotC were to transform one into a Death Knight and the other into a Chosen of Bane.

quote:
THE 'DEAD' THREE & TORM
I mentioned earlier my desire to see Myrkul and Bhaal return, and I thought I'd reiterate that desire with two interesting points (Well, interesting to me, at least).

First of all, bringing back Myrkul and Bhaal opens up the door to explore more of their background during their mortal lives and the journey that led to their godhood. This article, for instance,...

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drrl/20071107a

...I found to be extremely interesting, and I'd love to have more of its kind. And I enjoy their relationship in general, so aside from exploring their background, I'd love to see their continued interactions in the present day and the future.

The second thing which I'd be interested in seeing is an exploration of a possible link between the Dead Three and Torm. If one takes a look at the dates then it's very possible that all four were mortals in Faerun at the same time. There isn't a lot of certainty, but as far as I know, these are the dates which are certain.

-350 DR The Dead Three were mortal at this point in time.
-339 DR Torm was a mortal at this time.
-256 DR Torm was a god by this point.
-255 DR The Dead Three were gods by this point.

That's a wide gap to be certain. A 96-year period in which The Dead Three could've ascended to godhood, and an 84-year period in which Torm could've ascended to godhood. Nevermind that the Dead Three could've possibly ascended to godhood at least 11 years before Torm presumably became active, and may have even ascended to godhood while he was still a child. But nonetheless it's still amazing how closely they overlap. So the question then is if Bane, Myrkul, and Bhaal ever went to Chalsembyr. Did they meet Torm when they were all mortals? And what happened? I'd be interested in this story. Obviously Torm didn't kill any of them as they completed their journey, but that doesn't necessarily mean they killed him either. If there was an encounter, it could've ended in any number of ways, from outright killing Torm to Torm defeating the three of them and maybe even delaying their ascent to godhood in the process.

The 3E FRCS states that Bane hates Torm above all the other gods. Is it just because of their battle in the harbor of Tantras, or could he have greater and more personal reasons for hating Torm? If so, then that's a story that I'd like to hear (Not to mention an explanation on why Bane doesn't reveal Chalsembyr's location purely out of spite if for no other reason, given that Torm keeps its location quiet).

* I was thinking about the idea of the Phaerimm Memory Spire and the possibility of an anti-Netherese artifact housed within, and I thought “Wouldn’t it be fun if it was used as a takeoff of the classic D&D adventure, only for evil?” Ok, let’s say there’s a powerful artifact in there which is absolutely vital to the fight against the Shadovar. Such an artifact would likely have massive defenses, defenses which might be insurmountable to even the most highly trained agents. Likewise, the individuals sent in could probably expect to encounter forces sent from Netheril itself. And even if the artifact is recovered, who’s to say the agents who’re sent to recover something of that power won’t then turn around and decide to keep it? So who should go then? The only logical answer is the Zhentarim “A-Team” of Manshoon (Wizard), Fzoul (Cleric), the Pereghost (Fighter), and Scyllua Darkhope (Paladin). Sure, it’s a chance because you’re putting the entire leadership at risk all at once, but when you’re going after the ultimate prize you have to be willing to make the ultimate risk.

I’d also love to see the whole adventuring party aspect of a scenario like that. Thinking about it reminded me of Prince of Lies because one of my favorite moments from that is when Mystra (Wizard), Oghma (Bard), Torm (Paladin), and Mask (Rogue) all teamed up, and it hit me that they were an adventuring party, which just took the whole thing to a whole new fun level. So yeah, personally I think it’d be really fun if we got a great story which advanced the plot of those individual NPC’s, Zhentil Keep, and the Moonsea in general, as well as being a fun takeoff of the classic D&D dungeon delve scenario with those characters in the role of the adventurers. Really, the only thing they’d need would be a newly-created Assassin or Rogue Zhentarim member to go with them (Which they could’ve recruited in the 100 years since the fall of Zhentil Keep) and they’d be set.

"Beware what you say when you speak of magic, wizard, or you shall see who has the greater power."
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  22:45:56  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cant narrow it down to one thing either as there are a number of things about the realms that I liked.

1: The continuing of its history and its lore must be upheld and maintained. However 4e shoehorned in soem things that can be seen as a retcon and for 5e can easily be written out. This namely is the core races, should not mirror into each setting( Ie the halflings lost Lurien and are nomads like the core 4e halfling and a few of the races size increase). Also the deities should be placed back as they were in 1e-3e, namely I want them each listed and no more this deity was that deity all along and this deity is now classified as a primordial, pirmial spirit, archfey, etc, this really is annoying when they are not lsited in the setting books.
To fix it, I suggest that they are all lsited as deities as in previous editions and as they were in previous editions( save the ones like Tyr and Kiransilee who I've no problem with keeping dead). 100+ deities may have been a chore to keep up with, however its even worst with several categories on who is what now. combining them saying this weas that took away options and saying they were close enough was a mere cop out and you dont take away options after they've been there for years.

hehehe as I said its not a short thing.....

I'd also like to see Halruua come back in some form, even if they escaped to a demi plane in a long forgotten or long kept secret flying elnclave outside of Netheril or they stole a few of the flying enclaves and secreted them away.)

fixing the dieties can easily just be written in as can the race part, the lore must be maintained and its history kept and msut matter.... even if its some 100 years long past and your characters wwalk in this one huge field and ask hey wasnt this the battlefield where the legendary king Azoun 4 fought a huge battle with the tugian horse??

the lore is priority, make its past matter, it doesnt have to matter much after so many years pass...

I digress it must be dinner time.

and the spell palgue needs to be downgraded to a foot note, it happened it ended lets move on
Sweet water and light laughter

ps: I'm content for now and will wait and see about Helm, Eilistraee and Mystra and mask, and I repeat: You don't take away options as it will lead to pissing players off...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 26 Jun 2012 22:48:27
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  23:17:56  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, IMO it's hard to name only 1 favorite thing to be preserved and fixed, because the combination of many elements is needed to make the setting. But I'm stating the obvious here.

As for what I'd like to see, Venger (happy birthday, btw) pretty much nailed it.

In particular I find his ideas about the deities (especially the elegant one about the Sun Gods) and Zhentil Keep very appealing. Besides, bringing back Myrkul and Bhaal would maybe hook back some of the people who disliked the ToT.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 26 Jun 2012 23:18:31
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  23:27:27  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do have a suggestion for 5e FR Chult though....

the islands aht were once all those other coutries that connected it to Halruua, have them ressurface and have them as swamp areas and unable to support any humanoid other than the yuanti cities and have it yuanti controled and say that they make a past time about hunting and enslaving pc races that brave their way into their swamp kingdom.

(4e took it away and gave nothing in return, this just takes it away and gives a new and hazardous adventure spot and a new evil guy group)

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  23:42:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Venger. I didn't want to lose your posts, and I was going to transfer them over. I see that you beat me to it.

And Happy Birthday!

@One thing about the Realms: I know we all love the Realms, and there are thousands of things about the Realms we want to preserve. That goes without saying. But what is your baby? What do you love the most about it, and what is your highest priority for repair?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  23:49:35  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

1) Your number one favorite thing about the Realms, which needs to be preserved or developed. Give suggestions if you like.
For me it's Cormyr. I hope Ed Greenwood's latest novels don't radically alter it or destroy it.

I'd like to see Cormyr developed by having the 5E Realms book cover Cormyr in the past, when Salember ruled and his Red Dragons fought Rhigaerd II's Purple Dragons. I'd like to learn more about Vangerdahast's time as a student of Elminster's and maybe something of the legacy of Cormyr's Mages Royal.

Give me lots of Buy In: material that scatters adventure hooks all over the place in Cormyr and the lands beyond. This era of Cormyr seems like it would fit well with intrigue-laced campaigns as well as hack and slash games.

quote:

2) Your number one thing that needs to be addressed {snip}
Halruaa...that place was simply two awesome to be nuked away. Bring it back and maybe tell the story of Azuth's return (and Asmodeus' demise).

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 26 Jun 2012 23:50:48
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  00:05:34  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't rest, so I thought I would add:

Zhentil Keep. I like Venger's ideas, however...I don't think it needs be so grand.

It seems that Banites have a strong presence in Phlan, which could be a strong launching point for retaking Zhentil Keep and rebuilding it. I don't think it would have to be more powerful than before because Netheril is having lots of problems now this far in the future...their hold is perhaps tenuous, and so they are unable to focus such overwhelming force as they once could.

Bring me back my Zhentil Keep and my beloved Zhentarim. Have Vampire Manshoon get a Banite to cast Unlife to Life on him and viola! Normal Living Manshoon again with his old Stasis Clones flitting about.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  00:11:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@One thing about the Realms: I know we all love the Realms, and there are thousands of things about the Realms we want to preserve. That goes without saying. But what is your baby? What do you love the most about it, and what is your highest priority for repair?

If I had to choose only one thing (well, in that case I wouldn't even bother, since the new Realms would continue to not appeal me no matter what. But you get my point), I'd go for the pantheon.

I simply like that while deities in the Realms are mysterious beings (as it should be), they actually do stuff (mind you, tho, I have a hatred for godly dramas) and people can feel their presence. For this reason they are one of my favorite elements of the setting (this would be point 1).

That said, I cannot compromise on Mystra (preferably neutral), Eilistraee and Vhaeraun, Mask, Helm coming back. I simply want all of them back (point 2).

I also would like to see the godly soap operas and continuous deaths trend stop. IMO deities shouldn't be involved in novels as characters (a couple of appearances could be fine and be interesting, tho, or maybe a tale of one of their myths, like in the Evermeet novel), because this removes all the mystery that surrounds them and often leads to a misinterpretation of their characters, or to having them behave stupidly.

I couldn't stand, for example, Eilistraee being depicted as completely sexist and a ''get Lolth'' kind of deity, when there's much more about her, or Vhaeraun like an impulsive fool, or the whole matter around Tyr, Helm and Tymora.

I don't mean to offend authors here, because properly and extensively writing or roleplaying deities is clearly extremely hard, and for this reason it shouldn't be done anymore.

EDIT: Oh, and the wall of the faithless. That's ugly as concept. People being forced into worship is just wrong. Anyway it doesn't get much attention, so it's easily ignored, not a real problem at the end of the day.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 27 Jun 2012 00:20:57
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  00:33:43  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can't really give you an answer to this. I never moved on to the 3e or 4e Realms to have a legitimate opinion, so I think any choices I might make on the considerable controversies about would be meaningless, just a wee bit obsolete and probably deemed trollish. Besides, I'm still DMing in 1367. I wish all those that did move on best of luck with whatever you end up getting.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  01:49:18  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can narrow my list down to 3 things I hated: the deific culling/silly drama (yes, I know that that in and of itself is a big one), the detonation of Halruaa, and whatever it was that happened to Luiren to make halflings become migratory (I did not learn about that one until recently). Yes, two of these are in the Shining South. I do not understand why the 4e Realms designers seemed to think that no one liked it. Oh, wait, one more thing, make tieflings cool (i.e. 2/3e in appearance) again!

On a minor note, here are some things that I just dislike (mainly because I think that they are unoriginal): elemental motes (seen that done already in WoW), Plaguelands (seen that in Eberron), spellscars (also Eberron, though I may be wrong on that, that is what it felt like when they first announced them), removal of portals (not unoriginal, just un-Realmsian if you read any of Ed's reviews/notes/explanations of the meaning and origin of "Forgotten Realms"), Abeir (if you are going to make something up as a trope for your changes, give it more detail).

And, one thing for which almost none of the other scribes seem to agree with me (and may not even be possible if the rumors I hear are true): leave Mystra dead. I do not care if we get a new god(dess) of magic, but the whole death/rebirth trope for Mystryl/Mystra is bored and dead to me. I thought it was unoriginal to kill her yet again to bring about the Spellplague. I think it is even more unoriginal to bring her back yet again.

One final note: please stop doing things because you think that they are cool. Much of the re-used feel of the 4e Realms was stuff that it felt that they stole from other campaign settings to try and make it feel cool to a new audience. The new underdark source book (campaign setting?) also has that feel (though I have not read it, and from what I hear, the Neverwinter one does a good job of not doing).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  02:15:42  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

I can narrow my list down to 3 things I hated: the deific culling/silly drama (yes, I know that that in and of itself is a big one), the detonation of Halruaa, and whatever it was that happened to Luiren to make halflings become migratory (I did not learn about that one until recently). Yes, two of these are in the Shining South. I do not understand why the 4e Realms designers seemed to think that no one liked it. Oh, wait, one more thing, make tieflings cool (i.e. 2/3e in appearance) again!

Agree, to a point with the deities. Really, I never really cared for their numbers being so huge but if this is something that people really truely feel has to be back in the Realms, I have no problem still not using them in my campaigns but giving people what they really want.

As for the Luiren Halflings, their whole entire land was almost washed out and they became vagabonds (for lack of a better word). To me it sort of makes sense that they'd still want to traverse their old home, but must now do so by boats. And it should be stated that only the Luiren Halflings (also known as Hin) adhered to this trope from the D&D core. Every other Halfling is just as they were pre-Spellplague.

I hope Halruaa can make a comeback in some way too.

As for the Tieflings, no one is forcing anyone to use them as described in the art. Make them look like 2E or make them look like the Prince of Darkness, it has absoulutley no relevance on the Setting what so ever. Just saying, it's an artits rendering and not something that should have to be explained Realmslore wise.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  02:35:45  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ian drop mine to two

1:the deity culling thing/offing them
2: Halruua

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit

Edited by - sfdragon on 27 Jun 2012 02:36:08
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  03:28:43  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow...Venger covered deities and most other things in a manner that anything added is superfluous. So I won't bother.

Apart from that, a few peeves:

*The Sword Coast: Wizbro needs to keep its greasy green grubbies away from the Sword Coast. The changes were few, they were quasi-tolerable, and there has even been some neat stuff added to it (Neverwinter). Please - don't make any more changes to the Sword Coast that don't involve Ed, Erik, and the James brothers. The ones that were made in the FRCG were rather nonsensical, but not complete deal-breakers, so let's not do any more 'cool stuff' there, 'kay? The same can be said for the Dales and Cormyr - hands off.

*The Shining South: What happened here was ridiculous. It needs to be restored. All of it. I like sfdragon's suggestion for Chult, so something along his suggestion's lines should be done. And they need to bring back the others. Halruaa, Dambrath, Lantan, and Luiren did not deserve to be brutally wrecked the way they were, they provided flavor and contrast that no other region had.

Wizbro hand-waved them into oblivion, so they can hand-wave them back the way they were. Halruaa restored, settled halflings, Crintri in Dambrath, all of it. Not just more wastelands and beastlands, which is all it was reduced to...which is colossally boring. Var sounds irretrievably sunk, but it would be nice if having it a couple hundred feet under actually means something.

*Maztica and the 'New World': We get that Returned Abeir is here to stay, and cannot be moved. Please detail Anchorome and the continent to the south of R.A., and how they fit into its existence. What remains of previous civilizations? Anything? Or was all that completely wrecked and rendered very boring, too?

*Maps: Draw the planet. All of it. Even if its just continent outlines with names. Faerun, R.A., Anchorome, Osse, Zakhara, Kara-Tur - all of it. Absolutely all of it. Did I mention 'all of it'?

*Cthulhu Mythos: Let's call this aboleth poppycock what it is. And it needs to go away. I am a huge fan of H.P. Lovecraft, but his works were never meant to be interpreted in this manner. You can't just poof it all away, but reducing it by about ninety percent (or more) would be a wise move.

*The Vilhon: Another nonsensical change. Hlondeth was wrecked for what reason? It was the most interesting place the area had. Now it's just more...wastelands and beastlands (yawn). The yuan-ti need to get off their scaly tails and restore their city - maybe even expand it. And bring the water back into the Reach. You (Wizbro) hand-waved it out...you can hand-wave it back in.

Personalities: While I think Drizzt is overdone, I realize he is Wizbro's cash cow, so that issue, I will set aside. The other personalities, however, did not need what happened to them. The removal of any of the Seven Sisters, none of it made any sense. Fix it. Khelben at least got a novel explaining 'why' in a decent fashion (Qilue's end was a joke, in contrast). Either give the others (Qilue included) similar justice, or undo their passings.

I could go on, but Venger did a splendid essay, and I am sure others will come up with their own...issues.

- OMH

Edited by - Old Man Harpell on 27 Jun 2012 12:22:31
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  04:22:37  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just so that everyone is clear, my thing to chult includes: all of Tashalar, the former black jungle, the mhair jungle, most of chult. which is now, the mhair archipeligo, the islands Lapal, Hazur, delselar, serpentes, Thindol and Samrach all as one large swamp yuanti kingdom??? get rid of the islands parts and bring back the whole thing from 3.x and make it a swamp....

human settlements will now be flooded and still contain burried treasure and its whole population hunt pc races who brave to adventure into the serpent swamp and keep them as slaves for whatever the yuanti do with human/elf/dwarf/whatever else slaves...

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  05:30:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First Icelander takes my crown, and now Venger posts the longest post in internet history.

I may have to take revenge upon you all by singing at Gencon.

EDIT: On a more serious note - I had said Chult needed to be 'set adrift' two years prior to them doing it (if that post still exists over at Wizbro). It works better that way, so obviously I don't mind that. Almost everything else done to the map was subtractive design (which is the nice way of putting it). Nothing about the ass-crack in the Shar makes sense - all the coastal cities remained coastal cities despite what the 4e lore said. If your are going to make major changes to the climate/geography/etc, understand the basics of science, please.

Screw 3e - put things back they way they were in 1e/2e, visually. Put Icewind Dale back above the Arctic Circle and let Drizzt suffer 30 Days of Night (his infra-vision is useless against undead).

Bring back Sossal and Sharreach.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Jun 2012 05:39:16
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  06:38:36  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay... I'm going to post just this once in this thread.

I came to the realms at the end of 2e/beginning of 3e. I have been fortunate enough to have a few meager attempts at GM'ming, and probably the single most awesome GM ever, who has walked away from these hallowed halls in favor of trying a multitude of other systems and settings.

I loved the realms as they were. They had many power groups, to allow a GM to choose one or two that fit, and any players would have to sort them out and it wouldn't be immediately apparent which one was the "enemy" and which one was the "friend." This went for both deities and power groups like the Harpers/Zhentarim. And yes, I would have played a Zhentarim spy in City of the Spider Queen had it been allowed. I missed this. So, a revitalization of these groups, and allowing the pantheon back to its old size and scope would be very nice, please.

I am also sad at the missed opportunity to show off the Far Lands (Zakkhara, Kara-Tur, and Maztica/Returned Abeir) and what they brought to the realms. I really wanted to see this in 3.5, and still want to see that (perhaps with an updated timeline?). This also goes with a book of the dead for the realms, which would include dead gods, especially since their cults seem to pop up everywhere to bring them back, or they suddenly reappear to cause havoc. Lost Empires of Faerun started this, but it could have had more lore (which is what I'd like to see). I tend to run games on lighter-information regions, which were utterly destroyed (read: Lantan, the Tashalar, Thindol, etc), and support for the non-core regions (i.e. not the Dalelands, Cormyr, Sword Coast, and the North), would be really nice.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  07:27:11  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess I'll jump in on the thought exercise.

1) My favourite thing about the Realms is the wealth of cultural, geographic and historical information we have about most areas, their interconnectivity and believability. Sure, there were lots of mistakes and bad design in every edition, but for me the intricate web was unraveled with the advent of 4th edition.

2) My number one thing that needs to be addressed are vanishing and appearing nations. When you utterly destroy a nation, its people and culture, leaving either nothing or a totally different and alien entity behind, you basically undo the setting piece by piece.

Now some suggestions:

The Vilhon Reach: The Chondathan peoples of the Vilhon Reach have recovered from two demographic calamities in the past: the fall of Jhaamdath and the Rotting War. I see no reason why the cities of Arrabar, Hlondeth, Nimpeth, Mimph, Iljak, Shamph, Samra, Hlath and Reth, not to mention the ones in the Shining Plains, should be destroyed and only wilderness be left behind. Even Ormpetarr survived in a way, and it is on the very edge of the Plaguewrought lands. Personally, I would recede the plagued lands and allow the resettling of Chondath, Sespech and other areas of the Reach. Perhaps the lower water levels mean the people of these lands have to found new cities, but they shouldn't just disappear. Oh, and speaking of the decreasing water levels, that might very well have exposed the ruins of the Twelve Cities of the Sword, and there's mighty adventure and plot potential in that. Just please don't cede to the temptation of making the new Chondath a "returned Jhaamdath", since we've had enough of these. The occasional psion or ancient artifact is fine and probably expected, though. Also, if at all possible, let the Emerald Enclave grow and focus on their traditional policies again. There are few druidic organizations of note, so I don't think it's a good idea do downplay them even further.

Muranndin: This little aggressive humanoid realm sitting squarely between two of the most powerful nations in Faerûn is just asking for a war. It's quite incredible that they've managed to survive for a hundred years, so I'm thinking their existence might have been secretly backed by someone. But in any case, Amn is said to suffer economically due to Muranndin, so it should periodically march an army on them through the hillforts, and if they aren't competent enough to drive the humanoids back to the Small Teeth, maybe Tethyr should try to complete their annexation of southern Amn by posing as the liberators of Murann.

Leira: Well, if you ask me, I'd try to find a way to bring most dead gods back to life, but I'll limit myself to one for now. Leira's been dead for over a decade in real time, so bringing her back wouldn't feel so rushed. And as for a reason, besides her being very cool, she already has a plot that can be used to resurrect her: the whole End of Creation that's meant to destroy Oghma (and the concept that Leira never actually died). Needless to say, don't destroy Oghma, but bring her back instead. Since the End of Creation plot seems to fit so well with the Metatext idea, and Deneir apparently merged with it, this could be a reason for him to reappear as well, perhaps after a century-long stand-off with Leira over the fate of Oghma, knowledge and creation. Admittedly, I didn't read The Ghost King or any other novel that dealt with the subject, and I may have missed something in a sourcebook, so I could be talking nonsense. I believe someone who is better informed could probably devise a plan to make something like that work though.

Well, that's it for now. I'll do more later.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  16:07:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good thoughts, guys. This is the sort of discussion I want to have.

A few of those called down specifically:

1) Deities: As I've said before, the ways of the gods and the ebb and flow of pantheons is beyond mortal understanding, so I wouldn't worry too much about the "culling" of deities. The 4e FRCG seems to indicate many of the gods disappeared or were revealed to be aspects of other deities, but exactly what this means or how long a god will stay "dead" is up in the air. I am optimistic that they can be put back in extremely easily, and I would like to see 5e FR offer an official modular mechanism for doing so (i.e. "So your players/campaign is missing this god or that . . .").

2) The Shining South (specifically Dambrath): Near as I can tell, the Shining South sourcebook just sold very poorly, so the powers that be decided it wasn't a viable locale to focus upon, or that it needed a substantial revision, or something. Myself, I think the Shining South just needs some novel love, which I think the Crinti particularly are ripe for. I myself would *love* to write a novel about that culture, but we'll see what happens.

3) Neverwinter Campaign Setting: I'm glad you guys like the NCS. This is good feedback for WotC, to "make more supplements like *this* book." I personally love the concept of localized campaign regions like the NCS offers. One of the things we discussed in the old thread was locations for more sourcebooks like that.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  17:19:09  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If possible, make your first post in this thread a set of two number ones:

2) Your number one thing that needs to be addressed, for you to love the Realms like you used to. Maybe you're upset about Mystra (which Ed is working on, so take some comfort there), or you want Halruaa back, or whatever. We all have things we want fixed. Here's where we discuss them.

Go!

Cheers

1. My favorite thing about the Realms.
I came to love the Realms through the Baldur's Gate games. What made the games, and the Realms, so enjoyable were the characters and the gods.
You didn't run into a Joe Schmo's tavern with a stereotypical barkeep. The barkeep was a retired adventurer with a history. The grand wizards weren't just wizards with lots of magic, you'd just met Elminster, who had a history, a name.
The gods weren't just names in a book not to be known or messed with, they were powerful beings that you could, if you gained enough power, rub elbows with.
I liked the well known heroes and villans of the Realms. Elminster, the Chosen, Minsc and Boo. And the world is big enough for them, and your character, too.
2. The Realms have gone too far in making the setting "available to everyone." The setting has almost become too generic. There are several things that contributed to this.
In my most recent Campaign, I allowed a PC to be a Kender. But I didn't add a new continent of Kendermore to the setting to accomplish this. I had a small number of Kender get gated into the Realms in a subtle event.
I don't like the reconstruction of the pantheon, either. Especially Mystra's death. (And I'm anxiously awaiting Ed's work on that point.)
The Realms, IMO is heavily flavored by its large pantheon. Yeah, there are some gods that never get the spotlight, but to me, that's a DM tool to build a story on, not a useless appendige.
It seems like someone did major surgery on the Realms without doing any research. They cut up and discarded a lot of things as vestigal organs when in reality, those organs had a function, and they replaced a lot of essential parts with mechanical replicas.
Yes, the Realms can live without a second kidney, but it functions better with both, especially when that kidney wasn't diseased to begin with.
Yes, you can live with an artificial heart, but if the original wasn't diseased, we just didn't understand the purposeful flutters yet, why remove it?

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  18:30:16  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

2) The Shining South (specifically Dambrath): Near as I can tell, the Shining South sourcebook just sold very poorly, so the powers that be decided it wasn't a viable locale to focus upon, or that it needed a substantial revision, or something. Myself, I think the Shining South just needs some novel love, which I think the Crinti particularly are ripe for. I myself would *love* to write a novel about that culture, but we'll see what happens.
See, this is what confuses me. Halruaa did get some novel love, some very good novels by Elaine. In fact, it is because of those novels that I love Halruaa so much. And then they just blew it up! It was a very WTF moment for me. Especially since they had specifically said that they wanted to revise/change areas that did not feel very "Realmsian" (i.e. Mulhorund, Unther, and Maztica). Halruaa was one of the most "Realmsian" areas (specifically as a Nethril survivor state) that I ever encountered. Ugh. I shall stop ranting now.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  19:51:31  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's part of an old post from 2004 by Steven Schend.

"If there's any places I'd have loved to have tinkered in the Realms, it would have been Impiltur (and the Demonlands, a moniker that's fallen by the wayside), the Shaar (which I saw as a quasi-India with huge platform cities on stilts above the tiger- and rakshasa-filled plains), and perhaps one more delve into history to finish what history I started but didn't complete with CORMANTHYR."

If they had put stuff like the platform cities on stilts with rakshasa filled plains in the Shaar to begin with and other cool ideas like that, I bet the Shining South supplement would have sold better. Maybe one of the nature deities or just plain erosion/nature etc shift a river or two to bring back some life in this area and they can add that for 5E. And if they don't alter the Underchasm, I could possibly picture cliff dwelling cities, kind of like the tribes from the movie Time Machine. Heck even a dwarven rift city would be a nice adventuring stop. The citizens plumb the depths for loot and mineral veins exposed in the side walls etc.

Edited by - Eilserus on 27 Jun 2012 19:52:05
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  21:12:24  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well Erik as far as the shining south is cocnerned..... I think that alot of players liked certain areas such as Halruua, crinti( me no like this place) the rift, lurien and a few other places. Halruua was only wiped out becuase they were mostly Mytstra worshipers and the spell plague turn of events and that is easy to see if one owns the shining south source book/box of either 3.5 and or previous editions. The whole palce was covered in magical enchantments.

Lurien got wasted for the core hafling of 4e making all nomadic...... ummmmm yeah this is all fan speculative.

I think alot of the players and fans alike loved Halruua and siliked how it was wasted.

The demi plane with a unknown flying enclave and or several lost Ancient Netherese Enclaves( that one that the old lords og Halruua departed from and the other two that mystra sapred would work here) ld work in bringing halruua back in some form.

my favorite human ethnic groups were Tethyran, Halruuan, deep imaskari and illuskan... with the loss of Halruua... well it drops byone... but thats my problem....

As for the tidal wavethat flooded Lurien.... I could by that depending on only one thing and that is how far KAra tur is from there and how big a landslide into the sea was there. If it was big enough to cause a tidal wave.....

I still think they should make southern chult( samarach, and all islands toward old Halruua) into a big swamp kingdom for the serpent folk( naga and yuanti)... suprising ly this can be done with the 4e map... just make the waterways between the islands a greenish color.... who knowns, the psell palgue could have warped the timnestream there....

I'm rambling again,,,,,

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  21:43:24  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

who knowns, the psell palgue could have warped the timnestream there....
That is an interesting concept. What if random locations in the Plaguelands (I actually do not know if there are many or one or if they (it) are widespread or not) where time does flow differently. I am kind of thinking Fane of Shadows (a la Paul Kemp) crossed with the Chaos novels (A Hero Born and An Enemy Reborn by Mike Stackpole. Good reads if you have not read them). This could be a simple, fun (IMO) mechanic to tie the various eras together. (BTW, Erik, I dislike the name "Heroic" for the 4e era. I don't really know why, it just rubs me wrong.)

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:

Edited by - Hawkins on 27 Jun 2012 21:50:17
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  00:09:49  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one who disliked heroic.... but then plague era stinks too...

and on a side note...can we call them something else other than marry sue??? who was marry sue anyway??

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  00:10:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good thoughts, guys. This is the sort of discussion I want to have.
<snip>

Here's a thought that just came to me as I read your post (because what you said makes a lot of sense, even if you are just repeating what the Wizbro guys thought).

Move the Shining South north and replace the problematic Unther/Mulhorand/Old empires thing altogether (we already have Thay for our Stygia-like Egypt-style culture).

In the other new thread, Sage is talking about a 'soft' reboot, which I am a big proponent of, but what if we decided to get a little drastic? I think that many of the thoughts behind 4e were correct, and changes were warranted, but I think they just went about it in a really terrible way. What I am talking about is 50% what 4e did, and 50% what 3e did - alter the map to make it more accommodating. We have Abeir now, so this doesn't have to be a hard reboot - it could just be another 'cosmic whammy' terrain exchange thingy.

I may just be completely way off base with this one (like I said, it only just hit me now), so I was wondering how others would feel about something akin to that? Modify the map sort of how 3e did, but make it a bit more drastic... but not so drastic as to violate canon.

I'll try to do a mock-up of how I am picturing it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Jun 2012 00:11:37
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  00:26:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

and on a side note...can we call them something else other than marry sue??? who was marry sue anyway??

Mary Sue

Be warned: TVTropes.org is one of those sites where you can find yourself clicking on links for hours on end.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Jun 2012 00:26:32
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  03:09:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

In the other new thread, Sage is talking about a 'soft' reboot, which I am a big proponent of, but what if we decided to get a little drastic? I think that many of the thoughts behind 4e were correct, and changes were warranted, but I think they just went about it in a really terrible way. What I am talking about is 50% what 4e did, and 50% what 3e did - alter the map to make it more accommodating. We have Abeir now, so this doesn't have to be a hard reboot - it could just be another 'cosmic whammy' terrain exchange thingy.
The whole "Abeir dynamic" could really just be spun as an alternate plane/dimension for Realms players to visit during a campaign. Or even just reconstitute the coterminous/coexistent planar traits from the 3e Manual of the Planes, and start playing with some really cool options for how both Abeir and Returned Abeir interact with Toril.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  07:13:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You just gave me another idea (you seem to have a knack for that) - what if Abeir is really a demi-plane similar to Ravenloft? It doesn't necessarily have to be in the Shadowfel - it could be in the Astral or Ethereal (and still occupy the same space as Toril, since those are are all cotermonious{?} planes).

I have always felt Faerie behaved similarly to the Domains of Dread - using 'enchanted forests' and 'fairy Mounds' rather then mists, but still abducting folk and even entire places sometimes. What if every cotermonious plane is capable of that? 'Abeir' might be the Astral version of a Ravenloft or Faerie.

The Far Realms might be coexistant as well, but I think they work better as something that "falls outside the rules".

I worked on that idea I had for a 'condensed' version of the Realms (actually, I am on my second version - the first was too drastic). Hopefully I will be able to polish it up and post it tomorrow (its just a mock-up of what could be done, so don't expect anything amazing).

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Jun 2012 01:24:31
Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  08:11:50  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was about to go off on a pretty long rant about how Ravenloft does not belong in the Shadowfell, but... nevermind. :P

"Beware what you say when you speak of magic, wizard, or you shall see who has the greater power."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000