Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Faerun vs Tamriel vs middle earth

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Berkthgar Posted - 24 Feb 2014 : 02:16:38
Where would you rather live? Through the books, faerun seems a lot more bustling compared to tamriel.

Tamriel is beautiful, just cause I've seen it in skyrim and the elder scrolls games.

Middle earth just seems to overrun with orcs, maybe clan battle hammer can clean me up?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 04 Apr 2014 : 23:17:33
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

Geez I feel like I live in Tamriel already...

I mean I have a house there and everything. I have like 8 of them. They are bigger than the house I live in here.

I got one more actually the other month. But it is made out of the shell of a crab. It is weird.

Plus if I don't like some random phrase someone speakes to me, like say I am trying to ask someone about a medallion, and some fool comes up to me rattling off about what his name means while staring at me, I can murder him and only have to pay 1000 gold.

Y'know, this actually makes me wish I could live in Tamriel. It seems like such a pleasant world to live in, and would only cost me the occasional 1000 gold.
The Sage Posted - 02 Apr 2014 : 04:11:30
This is a difficult choice. Faerūn certainly has it's attraction for me, but I also love Tamriel -- especially Cyrodiil.

Middle-earth has it's charm, too.

I can't decide.
Gyor Posted - 01 Apr 2014 : 16:44:19
Faerun, cast a plane shift spell and spend my days in Brightwater.
Mournblade Posted - 01 Apr 2014 : 14:53:16
Geez I feel like I live in Tamriel already...

I mean I have a house there and everything. I have like 8 of them. They are bigger than the house I live in here.

I got one more actually the other month. But it is made out of the shell of a crab. It is weird.

Plus if I don't like some random phrase someone speakes to me, like say I am trying to ask someone about a medallion, and some fool comes up to me rattling off about what his name means while staring at me, I can murder him and only have to pay 1000 gold.

unseenmage Posted - 31 Mar 2014 : 23:21:20
Is it cheating to say, 'Tamriel, because then I can just Gate to the other realms and Shapechange into the other races.'?

But more seriously, as a bachelor? An adventuring world where I can die horribly.
As a husband and father? Gotta go with being a Hobbit.
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 29 Mar 2014 : 22:06:52
I was actually reminded of this scroll by another one I had commented on. I realized that, even if Eilistraee is dead, I still would have a reason to be in the Realms; to avenge her by killing every last Lolthite drow beneath the surface of Abeir-Toril (and by extension, Lolth herself). If I can't be with the goddess I love, than at least I can dedicate my existence to slaying those I hate.

EDIT: Actually, living for hatred might not be such a good idea (especially since just thinking about it has apparently made me, quite literally, sick to my stomach. Ugh.)
Kris the Grey Posted - 08 Mar 2014 : 19:46:30
Alystra,

Please do, I think you might very well enjoy it.

Its funny, but two of my PCs adopted the worship of Eilistraee to one degree or other despite the fact that neither had ever even heard of her before 'arriving' in the Realms. The most dedicated of the two had never even heard of dark elves before (it was her first time playing any sort of fantasy role playing game). I guess I did a decent job of making the folks at the Promenade (and the faith in general) appealing, Lol.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 08 Mar 2014 : 18:54:40
Yes, yes, and yes. I may have to check this one out, Kris.
Kris the Grey Posted - 08 Mar 2014 : 02:52:35
Chapter IV up. (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18961) Wherein our PCs encounter an (in)famous face...

Once again, if you are a fan of Eilistraee, Menzoberranzan, or just dark elves in general you will probably be fairly entertained.
Cbad285 Posted - 06 Mar 2014 : 03:03:12
The realms.
Kris the Grey Posted - 05 Mar 2014 : 20:45:56
Chapter III up. (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18961) Wherein the story truly gets interesting...

If you are a fan of Eilistraee, Menzoberranzan, or just dark elves in general you will probably be fairly entertained. Lol.
Berkthgar Posted - 04 Mar 2014 : 13:33:03
Did you really compose a story as a result of this thread?? Brilliant! Haha, I'll read it soon, thanks!
Kris the Grey Posted - 04 Mar 2014 : 00:01:13
Chapter II up. (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18961)
Berkthgar Posted - 03 Mar 2014 : 23:50:51
We need to start a petition for Bethesda studios to make Faerun a setting!

I just don't want something like valindra shadowmantle to happen again? One must be cautious in summoning, and have the proper rune circle. You maybe calling something pure, but something evil may seep through.
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Valindra_Shadowmantle
Kris the Grey Posted - 02 Mar 2014 : 20:38:36
Eltheron,

I quite agree with you relative to Eilistraee.

If it makes you feel better, one of the PCs in my 'play yourself' campaign converted to the worship of the Dark Maiden after spending some time at the Promenade (without knowing anything about her existence before the game) and has made it her mission in life to 'save' the goddess from the fate awaiting her in the not so distant future (my game being set in 1371 presently) that she learned about from some of the more Realms savvy players in the game.

She (the PC), and her dark elven priestess companion, are soon to be featured in the story I'm sharing over on the other thread.
Eltheron Posted - 02 Mar 2014 : 17:54:56
There's nothing wrong in wanting Eilistraee to come back. And in fact, her "death" is far from certain*. The novelist who penned Eilistraee's "last" moments (Lisa Smedman) left it purposefully unclear and vague as to what actually happened to her. So if she comes back, it may not even need to be a resurrection - but even if it were, I see no harm in that (especially when we consider the events of the Sundering).

Getting to the original topic, out of those three I'd choose Tolkien's Middle-Earth. It strikes me as no less dangerous to live there than the other two, and it has the added advantage of a metastory with a happy ending.

*Even Vhaeraun's death is far from certain in Smedman's book. She really did a great job leaving all sorts of possibilities open.

Irennan Posted - 02 Mar 2014 : 17:31:29
quote:
Originally posted by khanio07

I'd do everything in my power to stop you from resurrecting her. Keep the dead DEAD. I don't care how pure they are in life, it isn't natural.

Visit the spirit in another plane of existence but don't resort to lichdom please... For your own good...

Lol, what are you? The Inquisition? :P

If something can be done or exists, then it is natural, as ''bad'' as it may be in your eyes. Stuff that does not belong to nature simply doesn't exist. In Toril magic allows for extraordinary achievements and all of them are part of the nature of that place*, resurrecting the dead is just one of them.

The laws that regulate the world are kind of BS for allowing pain to happen and being such an integral part of people's existence for no meaningful reason beside ''such is life, deal with it''. If there are ways to go around this and do good, then it is just natural to use them; not doing so would be the actual non-natural action (as the nature of living things includes self-preservation as one of its main traits).

Also, Drustan was talking about deities, who are not mortal and have tons of tools to stay alive through the direst situations. So helping their return (if it even needs to be aided, as it could be something planned by them) should not even involve resurrection.

*Speaking of which, my answer to the question in this thread is Toril, mainly because of this reason.
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 02 Mar 2014 : 16:57:18
quote:
Originally posted by khanio07

quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

Of the three mentioned, I'd probably want to live in Faerun, especially if Eilistraee is still alive. If she isn't... then I'd do everything in my power to see that she was resurrected.* I'm not really familiar with Tamriel, and Middle-Earth, while interesting, doesn't hold much appeal to me. (At least, not as much as Faerun does.) As for Westeros, my frequent response to my adventuring groups' often suicidal battle strategies should work perfectly;

HELL NO!**

*Which reminds me, is it too late to respond to the 'What god would you worship' thread? I had to think long and hard about that question, and now that I've worked it out, the thread's no longer an active topic.
**Sorry for shouting.

I'd do everything in my power to stop you from resurrecting her. Keep the dead DEAD. I don't care how pure they are in life, it isn't natural.

Visit the spirit in another plane of existence but don't resort to lichdom please... For your own good...

As much as I hate to admit it, you're right. Of course, now my answer to the question can only be 'none of the above'. (And the question of 'What deity would you worship'? Forget I ever asked; it's now completely moot.)
Kris the Grey Posted - 01 Mar 2014 : 18:08:18
And, as promised, Chapter I...http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18961.
Kris the Grey Posted - 01 Mar 2014 : 17:31:44
Hello again all,

As a champion of the 'pretend you are visiting a fantasy world' style 'Play Yourself' game I have to say I'm enjoying this tread quite a bit (I sort of figured it would peter out a tad earlier). I'm pleased to see more scribes hereabouts have spent time pondering which part of the Realms they'd love to wake up and find themselves in. I find the 'how would that play out exactly?' aspect of such games endlessly fascinating.

Some of the things that come up again and again in my games are:

- should you give the 'Earthers' a special destiny (a la 'The Chronicles of Narnia', 'The Guardians of the Flame' or 'The Woods Out Back') or just let them loose in the Realms in a truly sand box fashion?

- what classes do they play? have they got some built in survivability that comes from their day job or life experience (police, fire, military, SCA) or are they office cubicle fodder waiting to be eaten by the first orc they encounter?

- how much lore do they know? are they wandering the world with only the vaguest idea of what D&D or the Realms are, or are they devoted readers of everything Salvatore (or some other author) has ever written, or are they Candlekeep scribes, equipped with so much useful knowledge about people and places in the Realms that they are at a massive competitive advantage to the average local?

- what gods do they choose to worship (the other thread on this subject veered in this territory)? do they stay true to their home faith or do they go native? how do the local deities react to their presence? do they eagerly scoop up new converts with special knowledge and sweep them into their existing divine conflicts?

- are they alone or are there other people from Earth already here in the Realms executing agendas of their own? what happens when the two groups (or more) come into contact?

- when do you set your game? in the far past? distant future? the now of the Realms? if you set the game at any time other than 'the present' does the knowledge the players have of events about to occur allow them to change those events (like Tasslehoff Burrfoot in the Dragonlance Legends series) or are they merely doomed to serve as observers to events they cannot hope to change (like Caramon and Crysania from the same series)? if they can change the future, what do they choose to do with that power? save a life, avert a doom, stop the spellplague?

- what do you do about famous NPCs of the Realms? do the PCs seek them out, trying to meet Elminster or Drizzt? what do those NPCs know of the existence of Earth, and how will they react to the PCs when they meet them?

- how do people who have probably never faced mortal peril react when they do? how do they deal with a lawless world or one where injustice is a sight more common than it is here? what do they do in the face of cruelty, slavery, starvation, and deprivation? do they hide out and live fat off their knowledge or do they dedicate themselves to righting the wrongs of the world they find themselves in?

As you can see, this sort of 'thought experiment' style gaming lends itself to a myriad of interesting plots and role playing opportunities. It also gives its players some insights into themselves and their relationships as friends. In short, if you have ever dreamed about waking up in the Realms and yet have never tried this sort of game, I'd encourage you to give it a whirl, I think you might enjoy it. I know I do.

On a related note, one of my players (who posts hereabouts as well) and I were moved by a whim to generate a fan fiction novella length story about one the campaign arcs in our game. It touches on many of the themes highlighted above. I'd posted a 'teaser' from it on the 'keep when we started it last year, then more or less forgot about it since. This charming conversation has prompted me to share the rest of it with you all. So, I'll be posting it, one chapter at a time (there are 10), hereabouts. Keep you eyes open if you are curious about how one such 'visit to the Realms' worked out for a group of Realms loving players.
Gyor Posted - 01 Mar 2014 : 15:32:51
Faerun, although I'd take a Planeshift spell straight to Brightwater.
Berkthgar Posted - 01 Mar 2014 : 11:09:56
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

Of the three mentioned, I'd probably want to live in Faerun, especially if Eilistraee is still alive. If she isn't... then I'd do everything in my power to see that she was resurrected.* I'm not really familiar with Tamriel, and Middle-Earth, while interesting, doesn't hold much appeal to me. (At least, not as much as Faerun does.) As for Westeros, my frequent response to my adventuring groups' often suicidal battle strategies should work perfectly;

HELL NO!**

*Which reminds me, is it too late to respond to the 'What god would you worship' thread? I had to think long and hard about that question, and now that I've worked it out, the thread's no longer an active topic.
**Sorry for shouting.

Entromancer Posted - 01 Mar 2014 : 03:55:11
Essos. Such an interesting place, especially after A Dance with Dragons. I'd love to poke around the ruins of Valyria, investigating the rumors of demons and stuff.
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 28 Feb 2014 : 23:56:51

HELL NO!**

**Sorry for shouting.
Thauranil Posted - 28 Feb 2014 : 14:12:08
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

I lost track of how many times I've done something awful to Nazeem.

Ha ha you and everybody else you has played Skyrim.
Kusghuul Posted - 28 Feb 2014 : 01:15:02
Faerun. High magic and Drizzts and Elminsters a plenty to sort out my problems.

Tamriel. Much more brutal in general.

Middle Earth. Low magic dark setting where the bad guys actually might win? Awwww Hells naw.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 28 Feb 2014 : 01:04:30
I lost track of how many times I've done something awful to Nazeem.
Thauranil Posted - 27 Feb 2014 : 13:58:19
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

I currently live in Tamriel, though I've yet to make it to the Cloud District...

I feel your pain, neither have I. However this video might cheer you up a bit Dont insult the dragonborn
Berkthgar Posted - 26 Feb 2014 : 03:46:57
WAIT! WULFGAR IS A DRAGONBORN! HE killed dracos icingdeath! omg
Artemas Entreri Posted - 26 Feb 2014 : 03:12:12
I currently live in Tamriel, though I've yet to make it to the Cloud District...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000