Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What is a "thkaerth"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lord Rad Posted - 08 Jan 2003 : 11:22:55
Ok, im currently reading The Sorcerer, and so far on three occasions, people have been refered to as resembling the looks and mannerisms etc. of a thkaerth! Ive never heard of this, and I dont have any monster compendiums or anything to hand to check up on it, does anyone know what is it and where i can find the details?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AJA Posted - 13 Apr 2019 : 04:51:18
I've got the "Th" as "tuh," as in "tough." And KAERTH, with the hard "k" sound of "Care."

Quickly followed by "Aerth," like Gary Gygax would pronounce one of his alternate Oerths.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Apr 2019 : 04:28:40
I don't know about anyone else, but I do not like the word thkaerth. It doesn't flow off the tongue.

It sounds almost like someone with a lisp saying "scarce."
AJA Posted - 13 Apr 2019 : 00:48:59
I know one thing; a thkaerth is not a thareea. Even though they probably share the same color. And smell. And even though a thkaerth could probably be used as a thareea in a pinch.

Also [ moving along... ], speaking of barbarian dialects and names for rothé, Ed gave up another in a 2010 reply to the boards about his original Uthgardt barbarians;
"....to stay near herds of "oroths" (musk oxen), "garauthae" (rothe) and "halagar" (stags, caribou, reindeer; the barbarians knew there were different sorts of hooved and antlered beasts, but didn't have different names for them)...."

Dalor Darden Posted - 13 Apr 2019 : 00:03:52
Man...plugging away at that High Forest jam aren't you Eric. ;-)
ericlboyd Posted - 12 Apr 2019 : 19:19:40
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

..uhm....so basically, it's a rothe'?

Email from Ed confirms:

"It's the name, in one of the barbarian tribe dialects, of surface rothe. It would be unusual for that dialect term to pass into wider usage, but quite possible, if herds were sold at markets in the North, butchered and hung/smoked, then salted and shipped, for the merchants doing so got the name for the beast they'd sampled, liked, and bought a herd of from the right seller."

My guess is the tribe would be the human barbarians of the Greycloak Hills.

--Eric
Arion Elenim Posted - 21 Jan 2003 : 19:46:08
..uhm....so basically, it's a rothe'?
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 21 Jan 2003 : 13:52:40
A nice new addition for a revised Monsters of Faerun book... which ought to be published in the same layout as the other FR books... There's still several creatures missing... I haven't seen the cooshee yet for example.
Lord Rad Posted - 10 Jan 2003 : 08:31:32
Excellent! Thanks Thomas (and Troy). Thats exactly how I imagined it, especially as the creatures looks were compared to Khul, a Vaasan
Thomas M. Reid Posted - 09 Jan 2003 : 23:40:25
Hi, all.

At Rad's request, I got in touch with Troy Denning and posed the question to him. Here's what he had to say:

"I don't remember where I picked this term up--probably an old game product set in the North--but I THINK a thkaerth is a very large, very woolly herd beast used by elves for both meat and wool. I tend to picture a cross between a goat and a buffalo."

So there you go, for what it's worth. Hope this helps!

Thomas
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 09 Jan 2003 : 09:55:23
Not sure if it is mentioned, let alone explained in there, but has anyone checked the Realms of Shadow anthology to see if there might be something in there...?
Lord Rad Posted - 08 Jan 2003 : 23:01:36
hmmmmm strange! Maybe the author, Troy Denning can help out with this one?
zemd Posted - 08 Jan 2003 : 21:16:09
Exactly the same for me!
Sorry
kahonen Posted - 08 Jan 2003 : 20:24:05
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Ok, im currently reading The Sorcerer, and so far on three occasions, people have been refered to as resembling the looks and mannerisms etc. of a thkaerth! Ive never heard of this, and I dont have any monster compendiums or anything to hand to check up on it, does anyone know what is it and where i can find the details?

I've just done a search of all of the 2nd and 3rd edition core rules and some of the supplements (Magic of Faerun etc) and can't find it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000