Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What is a "thkaerth"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2003 :  11:22:55  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, im currently reading The Sorcerer, and so far on three occasions, people have been refered to as resembling the looks and mannerisms etc. of a thkaerth! Ive never heard of this, and I dont have any monster compendiums or anything to hand to check up on it, does anyone know what is it and where i can find the details?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2003 :  20:24:05  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Ok, im currently reading The Sorcerer, and so far on three occasions, people have been refered to as resembling the looks and mannerisms etc. of a thkaerth! Ive never heard of this, and I dont have any monster compendiums or anything to hand to check up on it, does anyone know what is it and where i can find the details?

I've just done a search of all of the 2nd and 3rd edition core rules and some of the supplements (Magic of Faerun etc) and can't find it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2003 :  21:16:09  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exactly the same for me!
Sorry
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2003 :  23:01:36  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmmmm strange! Maybe the author, Troy Denning can help out with this one?

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2003 :  09:55:23  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if it is mentioned, let alone explained in there, but has anyone checked the Realms of Shadow anthology to see if there might be something in there...?
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2003 :  23:40:25  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, all.

At Rad's request, I got in touch with Troy Denning and posed the question to him. Here's what he had to say:

"I don't remember where I picked this term up--probably an old game product set in the North--but I THINK a thkaerth is a very large, very woolly herd beast used by elves for both meat and wool. I tend to picture a cross between a goat and a buffalo."

So there you go, for what it's worth. Hope this helps!

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2003 :  08:31:32  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent! Thanks Thomas (and Troy). Thats exactly how I imagined it, especially as the creatures looks were compared to Khul, a Vaasan

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  13:52:40  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A nice new addition for a revised Monsters of Faerun book... which ought to be published in the same layout as the other FR books... There's still several creatures missing... I haven't seen the cooshee yet for example.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  19:46:08  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
..uhm....so basically, it's a rothe'?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2019 :  19:19:40  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

..uhm....so basically, it's a rothe'?

Email from Ed confirms:

"It's the name, in one of the barbarian tribe dialects, of surface rothe. It would be unusual for that dialect term to pass into wider usage, but quite possible, if herds were sold at markets in the North, butchered and hung/smoked, then salted and shipped, for the merchants doing so got the name for the beast they'd sampled, liked, and bought a herd of from the right seller."

My guess is the tribe would be the human barbarians of the Greycloak Hills.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2019 :  00:03:52  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man...plugging away at that High Forest jam aren't you Eric. ;-)

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2019 :  00:48:59  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know one thing; a thkaerth is not a thareea. Even though they probably share the same color. And smell. And even though a thkaerth could probably be used as a thareea in a pinch.

Also [ moving along... ], speaking of barbarian dialects and names for rothé, Ed gave up another in a 2010 reply to the boards about his original Uthgardt barbarians;
"....to stay near herds of "oroths" (musk oxen), "garauthae" (rothe) and "halagar" (stags, caribou, reindeer; the barbarians knew there were different sorts of hooved and antlered beasts, but didn't have different names for them)...."

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 13 Apr 2019 00:49:19
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2019 :  04:28:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about anyone else, but I do not like the word thkaerth. It doesn't flow off the tongue.

It sounds almost like someone with a lisp saying "scarce."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2019 :  04:51:18  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got the "Th" as "tuh," as in "tough." And KAERTH, with the hard "k" sound of "Care."

Quickly followed by "Aerth," like Gary Gygax would pronounce one of his alternate Oerths.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000