Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Dragon Quest & The Shattered Statue

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alisttair Posted - 03 Feb 2013 : 17:00:50
I was wondering if any scribes here ever played the old FR adventure The Shattered statue (dual AD&D and Dragon Quest rules adventure) using the latter set of rules? Whatws your experience? Did you use the rules for more realms play? Did it lend itself well for the realms?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Derulbaskul Posted - 25 Feb 2013 : 06:35:43
Dragon Quest was the first game I DMed - I played a single session of D&D before running DQ - and I still have a soft spot for it. I found the rules again as PDFs on one of my regular trawls of the 'net and, I must admit, I think the rules hold up fairly well all these years later. They're quite complicated but there's none of that Gygaxian-"Oops, this doesn't make any sense but I'm already past my deadline and don't have time to revise"-philosophy which permeates 1E, in particular, but is also part of 1E's charm.
The Masked Mage Posted - 09 Feb 2013 : 02:09:37
Tell you the truth, I like it better than when big companies buy small companies so they can slap an established and respected name on their inferior mass market product. Dragon Quest will always be what it was - I find that comforting.
Markustay Posted - 09 Feb 2013 : 00:40:39
Also, the main protagonists are the narrators of the original Savage North product, and they even reference the adventure.

I never really liked that narration over-much... reminded me a lot of why I left Greyhawk behind (too much slapstick comedy).

I owned the Dragonquest set of rules, but never played it. Interesting fact - it was produced by SPI, who main source of income was 'counter' games. The other big 'counter' game creator was Avalon Hill - I used to play a LOT of games by both companies back in the day.

And now Hasbro owns BOTH IP's... and they just sit on them and produce nothing. {sigh} Don't you love it when big companies buy smaller companies just to kill them off.
George Krashos Posted - 08 Feb 2013 : 17:11:11
DQ1 The Shattered Stature was released in 1987.

-- George Krashos
arry Posted - 08 Feb 2013 : 16:44:46
Sorry, Shattered Statue
George Krashos Posted - 08 Feb 2013 : 00:15:27
quote:
Originally posted by arry

Where did the adventure first appear?

'Shattered Statue' or 'Vale of the Dragon Oracle'?

-- George Krashos
arry Posted - 07 Feb 2013 : 11:14:19
Where did the adventure first appear?
George Krashos Posted - 06 Feb 2013 : 22:46:01
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Shattered Statue is the one with the colleges of wizardry in the Thunder Peaks. That is OLD SCHOOL. I always wondered why it was never really incorporated into the Realms more... though if memory serves, they put the maps into the FR interactive atlas.

It was very much "incorporated into the Realms more" by Bryon Wischstadt (old REALMS-L FR fan) in his "Vale of the Dragon Oracle" adventure in the 1999 TSR Jam product.

-- George Krashos
Alisttair Posted - 05 Feb 2013 : 02:00:03
No I was curious about it though
The Masked Mage Posted - 03 Feb 2013 : 20:50:32
OK
Alisttair Posted - 03 Feb 2013 : 18:55:46
No I was curious about it though
The Masked Mage Posted - 03 Feb 2013 : 17:16:32
Do you have the DragonQuest boxed set?
The Masked Mage Posted - 03 Feb 2013 : 17:14:10
Shattered Statue is the one with the colleges of wizardry in the Thunder Peaks. That is OLD SCHOOL. I always wondered why it was never really incorporated into the Realms more... though if memory serves, they put the maps into the FR interactive atlas.

As far as the rules go - you'd be much better off overhauling it completely. Although I always liked the "ritual" magics.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000