Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Dragon Quest & The Shattered Statue
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  17:00:50  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if any scribes here ever played the old FR adventure The Shattered statue (dual AD&D and Dragon Quest rules adventure) using the latter set of rules? Whatws your experience? Did you use the rules for more realms play? Did it lend itself well for the realms?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  17:14:10  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shattered Statue is the one with the colleges of wizardry in the Thunder Peaks. That is OLD SCHOOL. I always wondered why it was never really incorporated into the Realms more... though if memory serves, they put the maps into the FR interactive atlas.

As far as the rules go - you'd be much better off overhauling it completely. Although I always liked the "ritual" magics.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  17:16:32  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have the DragonQuest boxed set?
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  18:55:46  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No I was curious about it though

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  20:50:32  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2013 :  02:00:03  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No I was curious about it though

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2013 :  22:46:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Shattered Statue is the one with the colleges of wizardry in the Thunder Peaks. That is OLD SCHOOL. I always wondered why it was never really incorporated into the Realms more... though if memory serves, they put the maps into the FR interactive atlas.

It was very much "incorporated into the Realms more" by Bryon Wischstadt (old REALMS-L FR fan) in his "Vale of the Dragon Oracle" adventure in the 1999 TSR Jam product.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  11:14:19  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where did the adventure first appear?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  00:15:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arry

Where did the adventure first appear?

'Shattered Statue' or 'Vale of the Dragon Oracle'?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  16:44:46  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Shattered Statue
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  17:11:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DQ1 The Shattered Stature was released in 1987.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  00:40:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, the main protagonists are the narrators of the original Savage North product, and they even reference the adventure.

I never really liked that narration over-much... reminded me a lot of why I left Greyhawk behind (too much slapstick comedy).

I owned the Dragonquest set of rules, but never played it. Interesting fact - it was produced by SPI, who main source of income was 'counter' games. The other big 'counter' game creator was Avalon Hill - I used to play a LOT of games by both companies back in the day.

And now Hasbro owns BOTH IP's... and they just sit on them and produce nothing. {sigh} Don't you love it when big companies buy smaller companies just to kill them off.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Feb 2013 00:43:54
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  02:09:37  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tell you the truth, I like it better than when big companies buy small companies so they can slap an established and respected name on their inferior mass market product. Dragon Quest will always be what it was - I find that comforting.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  06:35:43  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragon Quest was the first game I DMed - I played a single session of D&D before running DQ - and I still have a soft spot for it. I found the rules again as PDFs on one of my regular trawls of the 'net and, I must admit, I think the rules hold up fairly well all these years later. They're quite complicated but there's none of that Gygaxian-"Oops, this doesn't make any sense but I'm already past my deadline and don't have time to revise"-philosophy which permeates 1E, in particular, but is also part of 1E's charm.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000