Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Dardolphin Isle -- where is it?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 18 Jan 2013 : 17:07:44
Hello All,

The latest Forging the Realms article mentions the following, "the pirates Kurskyn of Dardolphin Isle, a wild-bearded, fiery-tempered dwarf."

Ignoring that dwarf for a moment, does anyone know where Dardolphin isle is located?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 21 Jan 2013 : 05:28:59
Thank you, THO.

I'll pass the word along, as someone had asked about Dardolphin in the comments section on the WotC website for Ed's latest Forging the Realms article.
The Hooded One Posted - 21 Jan 2013 : 01:04:29
Hi, all!
Reposting the tail end of Ed's latest lore reply (Markustay, it's about the Ice Lakes), because he decided to clear up the whereabouts of Dardolphin Isle.
Heeeere's Ed:

Oh, and while I’m at it, Jeremy Grenemyer asked where Dardolphin Isle is located. Your guess, xaeyruudh, is correct: it’s one of the smaller, hitherto-unnamed-in-published-lore islands of the Nelanther (in the southeastern most cluster of islets). Will someone please post this in the right thread, so Jeremy sees it?

So I have.
love,
THO
Markustay Posted - 20 Jan 2013 : 14:34:35
The Pirate Isles themselves I copied precisely out of the Pirates of the Fallen Stars sourcebook. No other regional map represents them correctly (especially the 3e map - we lost a LOT of detail with that one). The earlier 1e/2e (campaign) maps at least tried to give us a decent idea of what they were like, but the 3e artists pretty-much just drew lots of little islands and didn't bother to reference anything.

The Whamites are a different story - I actually attempted the first 'accurate' map of them, based on the boardgame. If I decide to get back to the eastern heartlands map I will make all the corrections to the all islands in the Inner Sea.
Ayrik Posted - 20 Jan 2013 : 12:38:59
It was just a guess. Accurate maps of the Pirate Isles are hard to come by, a seemingly deliberate decision by the designers.
Markustay Posted - 20 Jan 2013 : 04:22:02
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I would guess the pirate is unrelated to this Kurskyn.

And I would guess Dardolphin is one of the "many smaller islets" in the Pirate Isles. Probably one of "the Dolphins" ... the word/prefix "Dar" has many meanings (like "give" or "gift" in Iberian/Romance languages, "tribe" or "village" in Indo-Slavic languages, "Ed was here" in High Common).
Okay, now this is TOO funny... and is a perfect example of why I shouldn't do these things.

When I was tracing the whamite islands from another map, I traced EVERYTHING, and only found out after I had done so that I traced the dolphins in that pic.

But I liked the way it looked, and since that map was a conversion I felt it would do no harm. My bad.

I also accidentally inverted them thinking North was toward the bottom-left hand corner... turns out it was just written in 'Whamite' (and I corrected that on a later version of that map). Canonically, 'The Dolphins' does not exist. Sorry about that.
xaeyruudh Posted - 20 Jan 2013 : 02:26:39
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Ignoring that dwarf for a moment, does anyone know where Dardolphin isle is located?

You're ignoring a "wild-bearded, fiery-tempered" dwarf? Let me know how that works out for ya.

I'm betting on one of the many unnamed islands in the Nelanther. Though I think there's a couple in Mintarn, the Gull Rocks, and the Teeth too...
Ayrik Posted - 20 Jan 2013 : 02:25:47
I would guess the pirate is unrelated to this Kurskyn.

And I would guess Dardolphin is one of the "many smaller islets" in the Pirate Isles. Probably one of "the Dolphins" ... the word/prefix "Dar" has many meanings (like "give" or "gift" in Iberian/Romance languages, "tribe" or "village" in Indo-Slavic languages, "Ed was here" in High Common).
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 20 Jan 2013 : 01:14:47
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

"Dardolphin Island? Sure I know where it be... its right dare next to dar shark island and dar whale island..."

See? This is how places acquire alternate names and make the job of the cartographer that much harder.
Markustay Posted - 19 Jan 2013 : 22:28:24
I only know of the Bay of Dancing Dolphins - never heard of the island.

"Dardolphin Island? Sure I know where it be... its right dare next to dar shark island and dar whale island..."
Artemas Entreri Posted - 19 Jan 2013 : 01:33:45
Dardolphin? That sounds made-up!
The Sage Posted - 19 Jan 2013 : 01:16:02
I was a little curious about this one myself, though I was more intrigued about Kurskyn.

Regardless, I think this is one for Ed.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000