Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Dardolphin Isle -- where is it?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  17:07:44  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello All,

The latest Forging the Realms article mentions the following, "the pirates Kurskyn of Dardolphin Isle, a wild-bearded, fiery-tempered dwarf."

Ignoring that dwarf for a moment, does anyone know where Dardolphin isle is located?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  01:16:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a little curious about this one myself, though I was more intrigued about Kurskyn.

Regardless, I think this is one for Ed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  01:33:45  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dardolphin? That sounds made-up!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  22:28:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only know of the Bay of Dancing Dolphins - never heard of the island.

"Dardolphin Island? Sure I know where it be... its right dare next to dar shark island and dar whale island..."

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  01:14:47  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

"Dardolphin Island? Sure I know where it be... its right dare next to dar shark island and dar whale island..."

See? This is how places acquire alternate names and make the job of the cartographer that much harder.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  02:25:47  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would guess the pirate is unrelated to this Kurskyn.

And I would guess Dardolphin is one of the "many smaller islets" in the Pirate Isles. Probably one of "the Dolphins" ... the word/prefix "Dar" has many meanings (like "give" or "gift" in Iberian/Romance languages, "tribe" or "village" in Indo-Slavic languages, "Ed was here" in High Common).

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 20 Jan 2013 02:29:40
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  02:26:39  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Ignoring that dwarf for a moment, does anyone know where Dardolphin isle is located?

You're ignoring a "wild-bearded, fiery-tempered" dwarf? Let me know how that works out for ya.

I'm betting on one of the many unnamed islands in the Nelanther. Though I think there's a couple in Mintarn, the Gull Rocks, and the Teeth too...

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 20 Jan 2013 02:29:07
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  04:22:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I would guess the pirate is unrelated to this Kurskyn.

And I would guess Dardolphin is one of the "many smaller islets" in the Pirate Isles. Probably one of "the Dolphins" ... the word/prefix "Dar" has many meanings (like "give" or "gift" in Iberian/Romance languages, "tribe" or "village" in Indo-Slavic languages, "Ed was here" in High Common).
Okay, now this is TOO funny... and is a perfect example of why I shouldn't do these things.

When I was tracing the whamite islands from another map, I traced EVERYTHING, and only found out after I had done so that I traced the dolphins in that pic.

But I liked the way it looked, and since that map was a conversion I felt it would do no harm. My bad.

I also accidentally inverted them thinking North was toward the bottom-left hand corner... turns out it was just written in 'Whamite' (and I corrected that on a later version of that map). Canonically, 'The Dolphins' does not exist. Sorry about that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jan 2013 04:23:14
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  12:38:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was just a guess. Accurate maps of the Pirate Isles are hard to come by, a seemingly deliberate decision by the designers.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  14:34:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Pirate Isles themselves I copied precisely out of the Pirates of the Fallen Stars sourcebook. No other regional map represents them correctly (especially the 3e map - we lost a LOT of detail with that one). The earlier 1e/2e (campaign) maps at least tried to give us a decent idea of what they were like, but the 3e artists pretty-much just drew lots of little islands and didn't bother to reference anything.

The Whamites are a different story - I actually attempted the first 'accurate' map of them, based on the boardgame. If I decide to get back to the eastern heartlands map I will make all the corrections to the all islands in the Inner Sea.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  01:04:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, all!
Reposting the tail end of Ed's latest lore reply (Markustay, it's about the Ice Lakes), because he decided to clear up the whereabouts of Dardolphin Isle.
Heeeere's Ed:

Oh, and while I’m at it, Jeremy Grenemyer asked where Dardolphin Isle is located. Your guess, xaeyruudh, is correct: it’s one of the smaller, hitherto-unnamed-in-published-lore islands of the Nelanther (in the southeastern most cluster of islets). Will someone please post this in the right thread, so Jeremy sees it?

So I have.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  05:28:59  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, THO.

I'll pass the word along, as someone had asked about Dardolphin in the comments section on the WotC website for Ed's latest Forging the Realms article.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000