Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 E-Book/online only Forgotten Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ChurchofShar Posted - 13 Dec 2012 : 23:52:31
List Updated: 2013-01-05

Novels
Cold Steel and Secrets (4 Part) - Rosemary Jones
Prince of Ravens - Richard Baker
Shadowbane - Erik Scott de Bie
Shadowbane: Eye of Justice - Erik Scott de Bie
Spider and Stone - Jaleigh Johnson
Sword of the Gods: Spinner of Lies - Bruce R. Cordell

E-stories/Short Stories
Chosen of the Sword - Erik Scott de Bie
Gates of Madness, pt1 - James Wyatt
The Last Legend of Gedrin Shadowbane - Erik Scott de Bie
Heir of Shadowbane - Erik Scott de Bie
Pigs Explode - Rosemary Jones
Serpentsong - Richard Lee Byers
Seven They Were - James P. Davis
Speak of the Devil - James P. Davis
The Resurrection Agent - Erin M. Evans
The Winter Scourge - Mark Sehestedt

Also potentially of interest:
2009 Spin a Yarn (with Ed Greenwood)
2010 Spin a Yarn (with Ed Greenwood)
2011 Spin a Yarn (with Ed Greenwood)

To the best of my knowledge all titles listed here are limited to digital release. Sources ranging from author pages to Wizard's Article Archive. May not include all stories printed in Dragon magazine.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
artificial_sunlight Posted - 01 Mar 2013 : 10:36:04
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11369

Here are the links for the Spin a Yarn tales, to update the opening post.

I will check if all the stories fron the opening post are in my big list.
Ayrik Posted - 02 Feb 2013 : 08:32:34
Read a bit about the Nexus, Android apps, ebooks and ebook readers ... there's a lot to be learned about these subjects, far more than belongs in Candlekeep. I recommend you read reviews or user feedback/chatter about various reader apps to see how yours compares (and what you might be able to do to improve or customize it), and learn how to backup data (ebooks, etc) and how to *restore* your backups (actually test and confirm the backup works, because you don't want to discover it doesn't when it's your last hope). Sooner or later your device will die, get lost or stolen, break, drown, or simply become obsolete ... you don't want the only copy of your data to go with it.

Try posting your questions at a mobile device forum (just the first one google spat at me), where people discuss this sort of stuff and probably know all the details about your particular device.

And again - there's so many great free apps (and more every day) that you don't need to buy or subscribe to get one which works. You can always experiment with other apps, switching to a new one whenever a trial period expires on an old one ... never pay for mobile software until you're confident it's the best option for you, because it's a money suck which probably won't transfer to your next device.
swifty Posted - 02 Feb 2013 : 08:15:36
Just bumping this thread up.thought I would have had a reply by now.
swifty Posted - 01 Feb 2013 : 21:23:57
Just bumping this thread up.thought I would have had a reply by now.
swifty Posted - 30 Jan 2013 : 10:20:42
Safely downloaded the whole book and its great.but now I own it I never want to lose it.I have a Google nexus now but what happens when I want to upgrade.how do I transfer my books onto another device especially if its a different companies tablet.
swifty Posted - 22 Jan 2013 : 22:41:09
ive got the sample chapter of prince of ravens safely stored on my nexus does this mean the whole book will be ok to download
Ayrik Posted - 22 Jan 2013 : 03:28:12
Test the app with a *free* Kindle ebook (like Grimm's Fairy Tales or Sun Tzu's Art of War) before spending money. You may also need (or want) to try other Kindle-compatible reader apps, there are many very good ones, also free. Registration or Activation is sometimes required, but don't get sucked into a money trap - if the reader app turns out to be a "trial" which nags or locks your ebooks after some number of uses or days then just wipe it and try another. Whenever you do purchase ebooks or mobile software, be sure to back them up on some other machine (preferably before you install them on your device) so you don't have to ever pay for them again.

There's really no way to be certain which apps are good or bad until you try them out for a bit. You can do your research, but you need a little experience with the topic to accurately sort out which web endorsements and reviews are fake advertising. You can always restore backups, so don't be afraid to play and "screw things up".
skychrome Posted - 22 Jan 2013 : 02:49:02
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

I've managed to download the kindle app.I've found prince of ravens on the kindle store but was just wondering if I buy it that I'll be able to watch it on my Google nexus.

Have a try for it! Should work and the novel is 100% worth it!
ChurchofShar Posted - 17 Jan 2013 : 02:05:25
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

I've managed to download the kindle app.I've found prince of ravens on the kindle store but was just wondering if I buy it that I'll be able to watch it on my Google nexus.

Should be able to if you send it to your device.
swifty Posted - 16 Jan 2013 : 22:45:34
swifty Posted - 15 Jan 2013 : 23:40:13
Went on the play store and couldn't see any kindle apps.
Ayrik Posted - 15 Jan 2013 : 22:41:07
You can download free Kindle reader apps for your Android device, then read ebooks from Amazon. Google won't allow the default Play Store app to be uninstalled. Not all apps will properly display Nexus fullscreen, but many are available.
swifty Posted - 15 Jan 2013 : 22:14:32
Yes but I have a Google nexus and its not in the play store.
Tanthalas Posted - 15 Jan 2013 : 16:20:50
I think you won't have trouble buying the kindle version from amazon.co.uk.
swifty Posted - 15 Jan 2013 : 11:19:06
So I've just purchased a Google nexus 7 and live in the UK.just wondering if anyone can bring me up to speed with the whole eBook distribution issue and whatnot.also does wotc have any exclusive deals with a specific reader or anything.I just want to be able to read prince of ravens in my own country goddammit.
ChurchofShar Posted - 06 Jan 2013 : 00:03:51
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, all. Church of Shar, FYI: Ed's "Lord of the Darkways" has been published in a mass market paperback collection (UNTOLD ADVENTURES, Wizards of the Coast, 2011), so it's not e-exclusive.
love,
THO

Thanks for the info ! I'd actually never looked into the book before now, apparently a few of the stories from the Wizard's Archive are in there.

I'll be removing:
Dreaming of Waterdeep - Rosemary Jones
Lord of the Darkways - Ed Greenwood
Tallfolk Tales - Lisa Smedman
Watchers at the Living Gate - Paul Park

@ I'll also be stopping by the booskhop to pick a copy of this anthology up!

The Hooded One Posted - 05 Jan 2013 : 21:45:05
Hi, all. Church of Shar, FYI: Ed's "Lord of the Darkways" has been published in a mass market paperback collection (UNTOLD ADVENTURES, Wizards of the Coast, 2011), so it's not e-exclusive.
love,
THO
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Jan 2013 : 16:24:20
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Phred?

And his trusty sidekick, B'harnee.

Oh, I'm going to have to add that to my roster of example NPCs!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Jan 2013 : 16:23:15
quote:

Phred?

Not the same one. Frehd is your average Conan/Fahfrd type.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 05 Jan 2013 : 13:52:31
quote:

Phred?

And his trusty sidekick, B'harnee.
Kajehase Posted - 05 Jan 2013 : 10:28:06
Phred?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Jan 2013 : 06:18:50
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Actually, I was under the impression - as per his original contract - that everything Ed says, anywhere, in any medium, is considered 'canon'.

And yes, I agree that what the company considers 'official canon' and what fans each consider canon are two separate beasts (and everyone's is a little bit different). But at the end of the day, does it really matter? No one forces to use that which we don't want. If we don't like it, we can choose to ignore it.

Problems only arise when we are choosing to ignore more then 50% of the published material, because then we have to question our purchases.

Ed's words are canon until WotC says otherwise. If he says that Bahb the Fighter is the greatest swordsman in all of Realmspace, that's canon -- until WotC later publishes something that says Frehd the Barbarian is the greatest swordsman in all of Realmspace. So Edlore is canon until WotC lore supercedes it.
Markustay Posted - 05 Jan 2013 : 02:08:10
@ChurchofShar - No worries, mate. I wasn't busting your horns, I was just making light of that guy's audacity (and can appreciate it, being who I am).

You forget I am the guy who claims his maps are "more canon then canon" LOL (because they are NOT canon, so I kinda do something similar)

quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Only Ed - and only in regards to The Forgotten Realms - can claim a story is canon weather published by WotC or not. If we use the word 'official' instead of 'canon' then it becomes a bit murkier.

I'm pretty sure WotC has a say in what is and is not canon.

I understood Mark's comment to mean 'canon' more from a player's/DM's than a publisher's perspective hence the further comment on 'official'.

That said, this did raise a tangent thought from me but I'll mull it over some more rather than share as it would be OT for this scroll.

Actually, I was under the impression - as per his original contract - that everything Ed says, anywhere, in any medium, is considered 'canon'.

And yes, I agree that what the company considers 'official canon' and what fans each consider canon are two separate beasts (and everyone's is a little bit different). But at the end of the day, does it really matter? No one forces to use that which we don't want. If we don't like it, we can choose to ignore it.

Problems only arise when we are choosing to ignore more then 50% of the published material, because then we have to question our purchases.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 04 Jan 2013 : 19:41:20
quote:
Originally posted by ChurchofShar

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

just wondering... where'd you find these? I picked some of the short stories and went to amazon and didn't see them.

Mainly through the authors home pages.
Erik Scott de Bie has an excellent page listing the chronological reading order of his ongoing Shadowbane series (which I am in the middle of right now, and would highly recommend). His stories are mentioned there. Some might list stories that can only be read in Dungeon, or PDF download. There are some really great resources being put out by the creators themselves.
Check out the list CoS is referring to at http://erikscottdebie.com/shadowbane

Lots of free stuff there for your perusal!

Cheers
ChurchofShar Posted - 04 Jan 2013 : 19:09:44
The list has been updated to include stories available in the Wizard's Article Archive.
BlackAce Posted - 04 Jan 2013 : 18:48:09
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Only Ed - and only in regards to The Forgotten Realm - can claim a story is canon weather published by WotC or not. If we use the word 'official' instead of 'canon' then it becomes a bit murkier.

I understood Mark's comment to mean 'canon' more from a player's/DM's than a publisher's perspective hence the further comment on 'official'.

That said, this did raise a tangent thought from me but I'll mull it over some more rather than share as it would be OT for this scroll.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Jan 2013 : 18:38:49
quote:

Only Ed - and only in regards to The Forgotten Realm - can claim a story is canon weather published by WotC or not. If we use the word 'official' instead of 'canon' then it becomes a bit murkier.

ChurchofShar Posted - 04 Jan 2013 : 18:17:38
quote:

Regardless, if it was never published by WotC, it is still 'fanfic', nothing more. All claims to legitimacy really don't matter.

If Elaine or RAS did this, it would also still be 'fanfic'. There really isn't any grey area on this one - its either canon or its not.

Yes and again, the error has been corrected. It was fixed before you even commented in the thread.

The original error occurred because I was under the misunderstanding that it had been set to be published as a FR novel, but was cancelled due to the Harpers ending. I never stated it was canon or official. Again, this wasn't even intended to be any proper listing.

All good now?
ChurchofShar Posted - 04 Jan 2013 : 18:12:37
quote:

I wrote a story intended for the Realms - can I get on the list?

It was a mistake that was corrected. Do you see any other fan-fic in there?
ElaineCunningham Posted - 04 Jan 2013 : 17:53:38
quote:
Originally posted by ChurchofShar

The description on o-love goes beyond the authors claims, it may have been based on an old page of his:

"Rise of the Blade
A Forgotten Realms novel by Charles Alexander Moffat

Rise of the Blade is an unique piece of fan fiction because it is a whole novel that was never MEANT to be fan fiction. It was meant to be published in the Forgotten Realms series known as The Harpers. The series was cancelled before this novel could be published. It is a full length 149 typed paged novel, the same size as a 300 page paperback you could buy at Indigo or Chapters. It weighs in at 76,437 words. It was indeed set to be published back in 1998 but never made it to the printing block. It was first edited in April of 1998 but it never received a 2nd round of editing. The version you see here is the version made after the 1st round of editing"

I sent an email through to them mentioning the possible error, hopefully they will look into it and clear it off. It's ironically listed under your own cancelled title too.

As a decent sized piece of fan-fic I'll probably still read it, but I do appreciate being set straight on the actual legitimacy of the work.

This thread wasn't originally meant to be a proper list of any sorts, I was calling out for information on any e-books/e-stories I might have missed. I decided to edit it and turn it into one when I couldn't find them compiled elsewhere. I should have looked more closely into the book before listing it, I'll make sure to do so in the future. I'm glad I posted it for one reason at least. If I hadn't, I'd still be under the impression it was nearly-licensed.

Thanks again for the heads-up. And to echo a post from above..
A new story from one of my all-time favorite Realms authors (yourself ) would be stellar!

Actually, I think this thread was a great idea. It's far too difficult to find the ebook-original FR titles, so sites such as Candlekeep and diligent scribes are invaluable resources to FR readers AND writers.

The description of RISE OF THE BLADE you quoted does sound familiar, so I'm guessing it comes from an earlier version of Mr. Moffat's website. It's still problematic, though. For one thing, 76K words is pretty short for a FR novel. The term "set to be published" is vague. Does it mean the author considered it publication-ready, or does it mean that it was accepted and contracted? (And if so, why didn't the managing editor know about it?)

Assuming that it WAS contracted and then cancelled, the claim that it was edited in April of 1988 for the Harper series is puzzling, since by that time the FINAL NOVEL in the series had already been written. The decision to end the line occurred some time before Gen Con, 1987, more than 9 months earlier. Why would a TSR editor continue to edit books for a discontinued line? It's interesting to note that the wording on the editing issue--the most specific of his claims--is also very careful. He doesn't actually say that TSR edited the manuscript. "It was first edited in April of 1998 but it never received a 2nd round of editing."

To be charitable, it's possible that errors occurred on the timeline presented on o-love and Mr. Moffat's website. If this manuscript was submitted a year or so earlier, it might well have been reviewed at some point. It's possible that the reference to "editing" might refer to something less formal than a full edit--perhaps comments on a proposal or some such. it's possible that I misunderstood Mary's comments. It's even possible, I suppose, that this project fell out of her memory, though I've never known her to drop any of the balls she had in the air. But as it stands, the timeline doesn't work.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000