Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Future of Candlekeep's 'Compendium'...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 05 Sep 2012 : 02:03:12
Rather than take up otherwise useful space in other scrolls, I thought it would be more appropriate to tackle this discussion in it's own scroll.

So, most folk at Candlekeep are aware of the present lacking of the Candlekeep Compendium and the reasons for why we have yet to move forward.

Markus raised an interesting point in Brian's scroll that's got me thinking:-
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Or it could just continue as-is, here, which I'd prefer, but then I think some sort of accord with WotC needs to be reached. Personally, I just don't see the need for it, but obviously others here do.
There's a part of me that really doesn't see the need for it either, but I guess we just see it as an issue of respect for Wizards.

Perhaps, what we really should attempt here, is to publicly announce a resumption of the producing the Compendium here at Candlekeep -- garner interest and proposals [though, no full submissions just yet], and a general "call-to-lore-arms" so to speak, simply to put the word out, and see what reaction, if any, comes from Wizards Legal Folk.

If it's all quiet on that front, then perhaps we could discuss what the next stage of production for the Compendium should be.

What say you all?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
xaeyruudh Posted - 29 Apr 2014 : 17:25:09
There isn't a bridge between Long Island and CT? Crazy. If it's close enough to bridge, it should have at least one bridge.
Markustay Posted - 29 Apr 2014 : 15:42:37
Since I was a little kid, people have been talking about building a bridge between Long island and Connecticut. Every few years you'll even see something in the paper about it - how its 'back on the table', etc.

I'm pretty sure a couple of centuries from now they'll still be 'discussing it'.

--- Cheers
xaeyruudh Posted - 28 Apr 2014 : 15:49:38
Maybe keep WotC in the loop too. A fresh email in somebody's box (or better yet several somebodies) every stinkin day observing "we have X people interested in contributing, although Y article topics have been suggested/requested, and Z people are interested in seeing the next compilation, but we need to know that WotC is okay with the compendium" might stir some interest in giving us an official reply.

Perhaps with a link at the bottom of the email leading to the Compendium page which explains the nature of the compendium and should note the facts that neither Candlekeep nor its mods are making any money from it and no copyrights are being challenged, to reassure whoever gets tasked with rolling a gather information check.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and all that jazz. Not that we want to be irritating... just that waiting patiently and quietly hasn't worked.
The Sage Posted - 28 Apr 2014 : 08:19:06
We really should be keeping all interested folk up-to-date on happenings concerning the future of the Compendium -- even if it's nothing more than just the frequented bouts of hesitation regarding the restart of the project.
xaeyruudh Posted - 28 Apr 2014 : 07:17:56
Fair enough. Just wanted to check on it.
The Sage Posted - 28 Apr 2014 : 04:07:58
I think those of us involved with producing material for the Compendium are all still a little hesitant to get going... without any official stance from Wizards.
Cards77 Posted - 27 Apr 2014 : 02:40:13
What happened to the plan of going ahead with releases until we hear otherwise from WOTC? This project is extremely important, and should be pursued unless specific and valid reasons have been made known.
xaeyruudh Posted - 24 Apr 2014 : 19:47:36
Has WotC officially declared a stance on past issues of the Compendium?

If we're waiting for them to greenlight it, that's probably never going to happen... not because they have a problem with it but because (1) Aliens. (2) They're washing their hair, aka too busy, and (3) officially greenlighting it says more than their legal dept is willing to say, because that would be approving something sight-unseen. We could then publish whatever we want in the Compendium and put WotC's stamp of approval on it because we were greenlit for it. We wouldn't be so irresponsible, but WotC doesn't know that.

However, if they just sit back and let us do what we want, they retain the ability to come later and say "no, take that down" or "Thou shalt not blaspheme our Lord and Master Cthulu" or, ya know.

I know this conversation has been hashed out before, and I'm not trying to be disrespectful of all the thought and opinions that have gone into it. I was just thinking it might be a goal for those who want to publish something some day... Step 1 get something into the Compendium, Step 2 wait for Dragon magazine to come back online...

And for those of us who are "living in the past" the Compendium offers pretty much the only peer-edited work which remains open to pre-4e material. Assuming of course that the Compendium remains open to pre-4e material.

Presenting fan creations/remodels is great, but the real point of the Compendium (to me) is encouraging writers and providing some quality editing. And a kick in the pants. It would be sad if we stopped providing that in the absence of a specific gag order from WotC's legal department.
Zireael Posted - 24 Apr 2014 : 19:12:54
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

You can write stuff, you just can't "publish " it, besides oh lets say forum post.

What about Elves of Faerun, then?
silverwolfer Posted - 22 Apr 2014 : 04:06:24
You can write stuff, you just can't "publish " it, besides oh lets say forum post.
The Sage Posted - 22 Apr 2014 : 02:17:50
The easiest answer I can give is... yes, and, no.

Yes, in that the Compendium community here at Candlekeep is definitely eager to get things moving again on the next [new] volume. And, no, because a number of legal issues [namely, for us to be be granted permission by Wizards to work with Realms-content, for example] remain to be addressed.

It's all still so very murky in terms of what we can and cannot do with the lore for fan-based works.
xaeyruudh Posted - 21 Apr 2014 : 02:10:59
Is the Compendium still on the workbench?
Zireael Posted - 23 Feb 2013 : 09:44:19
I hope you do get the Compendium volume up.
The Sage Posted - 09 Feb 2013 : 11:36:30
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Sage, you touch upon a significant issue: D&D's ever-changing cosmic paradigm. I believe my writings would not (with the exception of lore about Tyranthraxus) really intersect with the common Realms.

Might I suggest an ambitious Candlekeep Adventures supplement with a focus on presenting (multi-edition) FR adventures? This would be a sort of project to which I could offer endless submissions, haha.

I'm not quite sure such an idea has been pitched to the Compendium team. It has promise, of course, but I'm inclined to think it's less likely to get the go-ahead -- at least for the time being -- until we get the Realms-centric Compendium Volume back up and running.
Ayrik Posted - 08 Feb 2013 : 04:35:02
Sage, you touch upon a significant issue: D&D's ever-changing cosmic paradigm. I believe my writings would not (with the exception of lore about Tyranthraxus) really intersect with the common Realms.

Might I suggest an ambitious Candlekeep Adventures supplement with a focus on presenting (multi-edition) FR adventures? This would be a sort of project to which I could offer endless submissions, haha.
The Sage Posted - 08 Feb 2013 : 01:59:40
quote:

I am quite willing to participate in this noble project, although my planewalking journals tend to have little application towards things of interest in the Realms. Unless the CKC is meant to serve as a reference about things such as the Gith races, genasi, fiends, planar champions, and thoughts of Sigil?

Does this secret shelf contain hidden lore beyond what is published in the Compendia?

Well, Gray, Kuje, and myself have dealt with planar articles in the past -- though they've specifically related to the planes of the [then current] cosmology of the Great Tree.

I suppose if you could base some of your approach in the Realms, we could consider it for potential Compendium submission.
Ayrik Posted - 06 Feb 2013 : 22:13:51
I am quite willing to participate in this noble project, although my planewalking journals tend to have little application towards things of interest in the Realms. Unless the CKC is meant to serve as a reference about things such as the Gith races, genasi, fiends, planar champions, and thoughts of Sigil?

Does this secret shelf contain hidden lore beyond what is published in the Compendia?
Lord Bane Posted - 06 Feb 2013 : 16:18:24
Thank you kindly.
The Sage Posted - 06 Feb 2013 : 15:46:24
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

It was said those willing to contribute would get access to a special part of this forum to discuss and plan a future release. I do wonder since i have not had such an access given to me yet, is such still a valid statment and if yes, may i get the access?

As I said in reply to your similar query back in October, you're currently listed among new scribes that will be granted access to the special shelf of Candlekeep we've set aside for Compendium submission discussions.

It's now up to Alaundo to make the necessary alterations to your profile so that you can access the aforementioned shelf. I'll remind him in the meantime.
Lord Bane Posted - 06 Feb 2013 : 09:27:46
It was said those willing to contribute would get access to a special part of this forum to discuss and plan a future release. I do wonder since i have not had such an access given to me yet, is such still a valid statment and if yes, may i get the access?
The Sage Posted - 06 Feb 2013 : 02:10:55
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

All IMO of course. Alaundo, Sage, Wooly, etc... feel free to chime-in/correct/add-to as necessary.
You've basically covered it.

I think the easiest [and, therefore, the least confusing] way of approaching this... is to say that so long as the article deals with the Realms, then it's open for possible inclusion. Edition-matters should only be an active consideration if an article deals specifically with, say, the Spellplague, or something focusing on the time before Lolth's Silence, for example. Then it would be necessary to note that we're talking pre- or post-4e.
The Sage Posted - 06 Feb 2013 : 02:07:41
quote:

CKC-X content must basically all be "Edition neutral" and Realms-centric?

Largely, that's the case. We're open to Edition-Specific, if that's the way folk want their submissions to go, but we welcome articles that don't also rely on a specific Edition-context for usage.
Markustay Posted - 05 Feb 2013 : 22:27:39
Edition-neutral in terms of rules, but not necessarily in terms of lore.

The 'meat' of any article can focus on any time period (just look at some of Gray Richarson's as an example of how far back you can go).

The objective should always be to present things in a 'useful anytime' manner, but thats not always a realistic goal. I'm thinking that if something you write needs to have a very specific timeframe, then at least have some part of it give a 'big picture' view of how those events/items/personages relate to the wider Realms ('wider' as in - "over the long-haul").

For instance, if you create a sword, don't just tell us what it does and who has it now, tell us where its been.

All IMO of course. Alaundo, Sage, Wooly, etc... feel free to chime-in/correct/add-to as necessary.
Ayrik Posted - 05 Feb 2013 : 19:37:36
CKC-X content must basically all be "Edition neutral" and Realms-centric?
The Sage Posted - 05 Feb 2013 : 15:08:07
Not so far as I know, Markus. At this point, I think it would be just easier to say that this new volume has a release "year" of 2013. We'll likely narrow down an exact release month as work on the new Volume progresses. So no deadlines... yet.
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon

Are things still moving forward with the Compendium guys? Is it too late to submit something?

You're more than welcome to submit your work, MM. The Compendium process is currently still in "accepting submissions stage," so there is time enough to present your potential submission for consideration.
Markustay Posted - 05 Feb 2013 : 14:59:40
Was there a 'deadline'?

I don't do so well with deadlines...
MalariaMoon Posted - 05 Feb 2013 : 14:46:26
Are things still moving forward with the Compendium guys? Is it too late to submit something?
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 29 Oct 2012 : 23:59:48
Great news! And in that case, Sage, I'd like to respectfully add my name to the list. My submission will most likely be a short narrative-style article regarding either the fate/current status of the dragon Garnet, or possibly how Guenhwyvar got from the hands of Josediah Starym to Masoj Hun'net in Menzoberranzan. Both stories intrigued me imensely, and I'd like to connect some of those dots, if you will accept it!
The Sage Posted - 29 Oct 2012 : 15:09:10
quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

would it be safe to say that Alaundo would be the best person to contact about submissions in general?

Questions I mean.

Alaundo, Wooly, or myself, really. I just recommended that Ziraerl contact Alaundo regarding the query previously posed, because it's not something we've had to deal with and because it involved actual content already posted on his site.

In terms of submissions, though, or questions about potential submissions, Wooly and I are happily available to assist you with details if and when you require them.
Sightless Posted - 29 Oct 2012 : 14:43:56
would it be safe to say that Alaundo would be the best person to contact about submissions in general?

Questions I mean.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000