Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Two Gigantic Undead Forces: Allies? (Spoilers)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dennis Posted - 13 Mar 2012 : 02:28:15
If you plan on reading The Masked Witches by Richard Lee Byers and hate to see spoilers, then stop right here. This post contains major spoilers about the said book, and speculations on its sequel.

[Highlight to READ.]
The dead in Rashemen are rising. The durthans, and even the once rivals to the land---the Nars and the Raumathri. A pacthwork man, an extremely ugly and insane type of undead, leads this rising. And he serves the Eminence. Now the Witches of Rashemen wonder if the walking dead are part of Thay’s plan to conquer their beloved homeland…

Aoth Fezim, victim of the deception by one sly shadow magic user, was trapped in the Plane of Shadow. Using his superior vision, he searched for any sign of magical anomaly that might lead him to the Prime Material World…till he found a ‘doorway’ back home. Literally. His home. Thay. [That’s the very last word of the book.]

I asked Richard, and he said part of the sequel will be set in Thay… (Great news for all the fans, eh?)

Now, has Szass Tam allied with the Eminence to seize Rashemen? Though, I seem to recall the patchwork man noted that (I paraphrase here) they would endeavor to take Rashemen in as subtly or as quickly as possible without catching Thay’s attention. Is this an indication that they fear that Thay would interfere, the outcome of which would be most unfavorable to them? Say, Thay would give them more troops, or attack from the outside while they fight from within, in exchange for their future service, the term of which Szass Tam would determine. And if they refuse, Szass Tam would instead lend the ‘living’ chunk of his armies to the witches to repel the invaders, or, failing that, say, Rashemen’s troops force them to retreat, the moment they set foot on Rashemen’s border, the Thayans would obliterate them all.

There are indeed so many possibilities here. But is an alliance between these two undead forces really possible? What would each faction gain? For Szass Tam, I suppose it’s obvious: if he manages to conquer Rashemen (and that’s a big IF), he can make another set of Dread Rings to activate the Ritual of Unmaking. But how about for the Eminence? An eternal enslavement?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dennis Posted - 10 Feb 2013 : 16:52:17

Ah, it appears like the question has been answered in Richard's Prophet of the Dead: Lod does intend to make allies of Thay. He wants to bring it down. But as Jhesri said, "Good luck with that."

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Evil powers rarely work with each other (its one of the major strengths of 'goodly powers'). Even when they do, its only a matter of time before one or the other betrays the alliance.
Oh. You're right about this. What happened to Lod and Sarshethrian is an example.
Dennis Posted - 31 May 2012 : 05:54:49

I think the Eminence of Aurant would not find it worthy of their time and effort to bind the telthors. Those spirits are mere annoyance to them.

What they should do is learn to wrest control of the flow of magic in Rashemen's land.
Xar Zarath Posted - 05 May 2012 : 07:28:08
And binding the telthors and whatnot would be beneficial as these could be used for "fodder" for the inevitable battle with Thay?
Dennis Posted - 05 May 2012 : 05:16:28
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Yeah, I see The Eminence as simply seeing Rashemen as a beachhead. Also, I see them as being a land that SHOULD be theirs. After all, its a land that's chock full with ghostly spirits, and they believe that any land that has undead is an extension of their empire.

The spirits in Rashemen aren't exactly undead, so I don't think that's the reason the Eminence of Aurant wants to seize the land. It could be because they want to establish a stronghold in the east, and raise as many powerful dead wizards as they can, which Rashemen, being home to the Nars for a very long time in the past, is fraught with.
sleyvas Posted - 04 May 2012 : 20:52:04
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Not at all. Richard said he didn't even know his Dread Rings are being used until I and others asked him about it. Someone should be in charge of overseeing continuity in the novel line. I understand they had it before. Why can't they assign one now?

It is my opinion, based on how loose they've played with continuity since the advent of 3E, that continuity isn't as important to WotC now as it once was. I've no concrete proof of this, but I've seen enough to be convinced.

Absolutely, the whole idea that "we want just points of light and we don't want to fill in the details" just screams "we don't know the realms as well as our buyers, and now its showing, so lets change it".
sleyvas Posted - 04 May 2012 : 20:49:36
Yeah, I see The Eminence as simply seeing Rashemen as a beachhead. Also, I see them as being a land that SHOULD be theirs. After all, its a land that's chock full with ghostly spirits, and they believe that any land that has undead is an extension of their empire. Granted, these ghostly spirits are generally benign and want to serve the people of Rashemen.... but these spirits also don't like the people of Thay and would make good "fodder" for the Eminence. Also, the odd tie that Rashemen has in creating these spirits may be a mystery that the Eminence wishes to study.
Xar Zarath Posted - 03 May 2012 : 06:47:09
Or he would have done the whispering himself. A lich who can chain 3 demiliches to do his bidding is pretty powerful...
Dennis Posted - 03 May 2012 : 02:36:57

Hardly. A threat that serious is difficult to oversee. He didn't have to meddle directly. He might have just ordered one of his lich-servitors to 'whisper' to any of the zulkirs (or Jhesri and Aoth) the way to neutralize the Dread Rings.
The Sage Posted - 03 May 2012 : 01:57:03
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

I agree with Dennis on this, in that Larloch would really go so far as to kill anyone that would destabilize the work he has done as well as what he has hoarded over the centuries. I mean, even if the Unmaking did not go as planned, it might have in Dennis words "nuked" majority of Faerun, causing further destruction to the Weave.

Mystra is still alive in a sense, from the current El series, so Larloch would go the length and beyond to keep her safe until things are cooling down a little and magic returns to maybe its former self, enough for him to continue working. And if Szass Tam still continues with the Dread Rings, perhaps the lord of the Warlock's Crypt will simply nuke the Zulkir of Necromancy. I mean remaking the universe and placing himself as the only god, Larloch would never consent much less like that idea.

I'm not as certain that Larloch would have killed someone who threatened his plans... Why remove a potentially useful tool from play? It's easier to thwart or redirect his opponent's efforts, and then he can still manipulate that opponent into doing something useful a century or two later.

That's largely what I was getting at above.

With Larloch's far ranging plans and schemes... how do we know whether or not Tam and the whole Dread Ring initiative wasn't some small part of his long-reaching oversight for the Realms?
Markustay Posted - 02 May 2012 : 21:03:56
I agree with wooly - it is more likely larloch would have used Szass' plans for his own ends, perhaps even redirecting the energy into himself (like what Dr.Doom did to Galactus during the Secret Wars).

However, I really don't see Larloch wanting that job - if szass tam could pull it off, then Larloch should be able to, and he hasn't bothered in all those centuries.

On the other hand, his own goals may be similar, but he chosen to take a different route.

Either way, Larloch behaves like the Harpers - he turns enemies towards each other more often then getting his own hands dirty. He is a master manipulator, not the type to confront things directly with raw power (unless he needs to make a point, in which case he is more then capable). People fear what they don't know more then what they do know, and the smart opponent never tips his hand.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 May 2012 : 18:45:13
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

I agree with Dennis on this, in that Larloch would really go so far as to kill anyone that would destabilize the work he has done as well as what he has hoarded over the centuries. I mean, even if the Unmaking did not go as planned, it might have in Dennis words "nuked" majority of Faerun, causing further destruction to the Weave.

Mystra is still alive in a sense, from the current El series, so Larloch would go the length and beyond to keep her safe until things are cooling down a little and magic returns to maybe its former self, enough for him to continue working. And if Szass Tam still continues with the Dread Rings, perhaps the lord of the Warlock's Crypt will simply nuke the Zulkir of Necromancy. I mean remaking the universe and placing himself as the only god, Larloch would never consent much less like that idea.

I'm not as certain that Larloch would have killed someone who threatened his plans... Why remove a potentially useful tool from play? It's easier to thwart or redirect his opponent's efforts, and then he can still manipulate that opponent into doing something useful a century or two later.
Xar Zarath Posted - 02 May 2012 : 13:40:07

Dennis Posted - 02 May 2012 : 03:21:15

The threat is serious enough to have reached Larloch's attention. The Dread Rings may not function as they are intended (that is, to remake the world and have Szass Tam become its overgod), but given the massive firepower needed to make them work, the results could be disastrous---e.g. nuking half, if not all, of Faerun; or boring a hole into the Weave itself that Mystra would have needed centuries to repair.
The Sage Posted - 02 May 2012 : 01:44:53
quote:

I once postulated that Larloch might have been involved in the Dread Rings' collapse.
Personally, given what we've been told about Larloch's ambitions in the past, I tend to think the whole Dread Rings' collapse was either beneath the notice of Larloch... or something he merely "played with" while occupying himself with more serious concerns.

I'm not devaluing the threat posed by the Dread Rings, but at the same time, I can't see Larloch investing himself so directly in their outcome... unless that outcome either threatened some of his other well-laid plans, or the result was a curious happenstance for him.
Dennis Posted - 01 May 2012 : 18:59:49

I once postulated that Larloch might have been involved in the Dread Rings' collapse. I'm not saying the combined brilliance of the zulkirs, coupled with Aoth and Jhesri's help, was not enough to figure out how to tackle the DRs exactly... But Larloch could possibly have done a little push. Destroy the concept and you destroy the matter---the solution to the zulkirs' plight. That's something no common practitioner of the Art easily thinks of.
Markustay Posted - 01 May 2012 : 18:20:47
I didn't say he knew about their business in Rashemen - I just think he would have learned about the organization itself in the past century.

There is no way they would have avoided Larloch's notice (considering their mutual goals), and Szass and Larloch have 'done business' before (but we could just as easily assume he wouldn't inform Szass Tam, for his own mysterious reasons, or he could even set them against each other, for all we know).

I also never said Szass Tam is 'all-knowing', which is why I limited his area-of interest to Faerûn, not all of Toril, which is the case of the EoA (considering where they are based out of, it would be weird if they were only focusing their efforts in one continent). Part of the reason Thayan Enclaves existed at all was to keep tabs on other countries - I doubt Szass Tam would have lost interest in the rest of Faerûn after his failure with the Dread Rings... quite the contrary. Knowledge is power, and he's smart enough to know that.

In fact, I would even say he is only well-informed about 'The Heartlands' - aside from a casual interest in the Old Empires (which no longer exist), he probably has very little interest in the south at all (with Halruaa also being gone now).

How secretive is the EoA? I'm not talking about 'current projects' - it would make sense for them to hide those. I'm just talking about knowledge of the group itself. A hundred years is a long time for such a far-reaching organization to still be unknown (maybe to common folk, but not to the 'movers & shakers').

Regardless, I still standby my original posts in this thread - groups with common interests are actually more likely to fight then those with no interests in common. Especially when talking about evil groups who don't even understand the concept of 'sharing'.

We have no idea how monolithic the organization was back on Abeir. If they were extremely powerful, they may have taken the 'join or die' attitude with folks like tam and larloch... and gotten spanked for it. After recovering, they would then try a more cautious approach (we really can spin 4e lore any way we want, its so ambiguous).
Dennis Posted - 01 May 2012 : 18:07:12
quote:

quote:

Szass Tam also makes it his business to know everything about everyone within Faerûn, so the moment the EoA began to meddle there, he would have known of it.

I doubt that Szassy's information network is so far-ranging that someone sticking to the background and avoiding any of his areas of interest would be instantly known. As long as they stick to crypts and such outside of Thay, how would Szassy know of them?

Dmitra Flass and Malark Springhill's network of spies (whose reach extend beyond Thay's borders) proved successful against Szass Tam's earlier campaigns to take over Thay. He himself admitted he should not have underestimated the value of capable spies. Upon the death of its two former leaders, he definitely must have assumed authority over said network, and have put them to good use ever since. So...

quote:
quote:

Besides, you don't think they approached him at the beginning for membership? He probably sent their emissaries' heads back to them in a bag (of holding).

I think the Eminence would prolly examine, from afar, Szassy's actions and see if his apparent goals aligned with theirs. I also think that if they didn't, or if the Eminence wasn't sure, they'd stay in the background. Especially with the more powerful undead guys like Szassy, who could very well try to twist/manipulate the Eminence to his own goals.

Very likely. Otherwise, as I noted above, the patchwork man, leader of the 'emissaries' of the EoA in Rashemen, would not have endeavored to cover his tracks from the curios eyes of Thay's undead ruler.
Dennis Posted - 01 May 2012 : 18:00:04
quote:

The Eminence (I assume) made it their business to know EVERYTHING about Toril upon their arrival. They were probably the Kraken Society's best customers for a decade (also note the convenient position of the headquarters of that group, between the two settings).

Szass Tam also makes it his business to know everything about everyone within Faerûn, so the moment the EoA began to meddle there, he would have known of it. Besides, you don't think they approached him at the beginning for membership? He probably sent their emissaries' heads back to them in a bag (of holding).

Szass Tam may have already know about the Eminence of Aurant, but not about their business in Rashemen. The EoA's servants who went to Rashemen are most likely protected against scrying magic by the land, the same protection granted to the Witches. Unless, of course, Szass Tam somehow managed to place spies inside Rashemen, or in the ranks of the EoA itself.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 May 2012 : 17:54:29
quote:

Szass Tam also makes it his business to know everything about everyone within Faerûn, so the moment the EoA began to meddle there, he would have known of it.

I doubt that Szassy's information network is so far-ranging that someone sticking to the background and avoiding any of his areas of interest would be instantly known. As long as they stick to crypts and such outside of Thay, how would Szassy know of them?

quote:

Besides, you don't think they approached him at the beginning for membership? He probably sent their emissaries' heads back to them in a bag (of holding).

I think the Eminence would prolly examine, from afar, Szassy's actions and see if his apparent goals aligned with theirs. I also think that if they didn't, or if the Eminence wasn't sure, they'd stay in the background. Especially with the more powerful undead guys like Szassy, who could very well try to twist/manipulate the Eminence to his own goals.
Markustay Posted - 01 May 2012 : 16:19:11
The Eminence (I assume) made it their business to know EVERYTHING about Toril upon their arrival. They were probably the Kraken Society's best customers for a decade (also note the convenient position of the headquarters of that group, between the two settings).

Szass Tam also makes it his business to know everything about everyone within Faerûn, so the moment the EoA began to meddle there, he would have known of it. Besides, you don't think they approached him at the beginning for membership? He probably sent their emissaries' heads back to them in a bag (of holding).
Dennis Posted - 01 May 2012 : 09:36:51

In The Masked Witches, the patchwork man, a servant of the Eminence, made it plain that he didn't want Thay to know what he and his ilk were up to in Rashemen. It could be an indication that the Eminence fears that Szass Tam would interfere, directly or otherwise.
Xar Zarath Posted - 01 May 2012 : 06:01:07
Does Araunt and Thay even know of each other? I suppose Szass Tam would be aware of them, and if he were, would he have already placed agents within the Eminence? Could Araunt on Abeir be sending servants to Lod right now to reinforce them?
The Sage Posted - 01 May 2012 : 05:06:44
quote:

quote:

Since FR is Ed's creation in the first place, that 'police job' should have been given to him. There'll surely be less rants from the fans.

It doesn't have to be Ed, it just needs to be someone who respects the setting and who will be willing and able to call shenanigans on what anyone else does.

Besides, when other designer-folk have occupied the role of Realms-traffic cop, like Jeff Grubb, they've proved more than capable of keeping things consistent within the Realms canon.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 May 2012 : 04:22:36
quote:

Since FR is Ed's creation in the first place, that 'police job' should have been given to him. There'll surely be less rants from the fans.

It doesn't have to be Ed, it just needs to be someone who respects the setting and who will be willing and able to call shenanigans on what anyone else does.
Dennis Posted - 01 May 2012 : 02:19:50

Xar Zarath Posted - 30 Apr 2012 : 06:59:06
Would it be 3e lore you are referring to Wooly?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Apr 2012 : 04:29:51
quote:

Not at all. Richard said he didn't even know his Dread Rings are being used until I and others asked him about it. Someone should be in charge of overseeing continuity in the novel line. I understand they had it before. Why can't they assign one now?

It is my opinion, based on how loose they've played with continuity since the advent of 3E, that continuity isn't as important to WotC now as it once was. I've no concrete proof of this, but I've seen enough to be convinced.
Dennis Posted - 30 Apr 2012 : 01:35:18

Xar Zarath Posted - 29 Apr 2012 : 10:49:08
The use of Neverwinter was something of a plot point i think for RAS... Guess they didn't coordinate?
Dennis Posted - 29 Apr 2012 : 02:43:24

Does Innarlith---that obscure city-state featured in Phil Athans' The Watercourse Trilogy---still exist? If so, Szass Tam could have easily conquered it and used it for his Dread Rings. One Dream Vestige would be enough for the job. That land lacks the proper wizards and friendly neighbors to defend it in time of crisis.

Why choose a location (Neverwinter) so near Faerun's most powerful nations? He maybe vain, but he's not stupid.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000