Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Finaly - Ed's notes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Patrakis Posted - 29 Jan 2012 : 06:22:03
Here's a pretty big news from D&DXP today. This is an exerp from a seminar on new products in 2012.

''Next we have Elminster's Forgotten Realms in Quarter 4. We basically went to Ed and said hey, why don't you take all your campaign notes, all the information you've been putting together for your FR campaign and lets compile it into a book. Show us the realms as you've developed it in your campaign setting and lets get that to everybody. It's our celebration of the Forgotten Realms and pulling back the curtain to show you what the designer of the campaign setting has done.''

http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/317434-seminar-transcript-upcoming-products-2012-a.html

First WotC i'll buy since 2008. I got goosbumps just thinking about it.

Pat
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jakk Posted - 04 Feb 2012 : 02:52:38
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Pretty sure followers of both would be absolutely ecstatic! Especially since the followers of one deity in particular don't even remember her name.... I'd love to see some former priestess come across one of her own journals or such and say, "I used to follow WHO??! Oh, wait... NOW I remember!!"

That isn't so far-fetched as some may think. When the drowpocalypse happened, it specifically says 'erased all knowledge of her from the minds of her followers'. It said absolutely nothing about the printed word. So her lore, her histories, her holy books (as well as some of her temples, possibly)...all still there, and you know that Oghma would not suffer the destruction of so much of the written word - if at all.

So whoever told Lisa Smedman to do all those horrible things - take that. She deliberately left us so many outs, it's amazing to think about. Let's hope she (or another writer) is afforded the chance to fix that unnamed professor's mistake.

You know, this is just possible enough within the current state of the Realms that it maybe should be quoted here. But I'll leave that decision to the OPs.
Jakk Posted - 04 Feb 2012 : 02:49:17
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

Agreed. As much as I dislike the Spellplague and related issues, going about a split this way with such a polarizing divisions and the 'backing' of the setting creator with one is not a good way to continue supporting the setting.

I doubt Wotc would do that. I think it will turn out similar to option 1 in your post above. It will be a collection of campaign notes, perhaps somewhat rules and time agnostic (maybe with brief adaption notes), something groups can pick and choose for which ever version of FR they run.

Hmm. What if the series isn't always a continual collections of Ed's notes, but a series of [Insert Author] Presents FR. Sort of like Monte Cook's WoD released not too far back.

It might be interesting, particularly your suggestion of Jeff Grubb... but Ed has more than enough material to keep the series going by himself, even at the rate of a book a month (which is both a delirious dream of mine and likely an impossible pace to sustain, seeing as Ed is extremely busy as it is and I would want him to have final editorial control over contents). Still, I would definitely check it out, particularly if Jeff were to revisit Zakhara and/or Kara-Tur.
Jakk Posted - 04 Feb 2012 : 02:42:30
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I live in Toronto and am in charge of business continuity disaster recovery at work (eg having off site work place, black box type indestructible servers and safes, backing up of data daily). Next time I see Ed I'm going to beg him to scan his room after room of loose leaf notes into PDF so we have some record of all his wonderful creations that would survive in the event of some peril. A small housefire would be terrible. I also wonder what kind of home owner's insurance rider he has on all that lore!

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You just put my stomach in a knot.

And mine... Sage, we need a "definitely very ill" smiley. The "dead" smiley goes a bit too far, and looks far too happy.

Edit: And yes, Seravin, please do so. I'm pretty sure Ed won't have the time to do the scanning himself, tho... it seems as if he'll be rather busy, even by his standards, for the next while.
Jakk Posted - 04 Feb 2012 : 02:20:38
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfhound75

<snip>WizBro, staring a potentially huge cash cow in the face, will be forced to make a decision (unless, IMO, the events of the Spellplague which started the entire schism are secretly one of Ed's ideas and covered in writings). I think, from a business decision view point, it's relatively simple math. Does WizBro follow the obvious profit and abandon the [arguably] unpopular spellplague timeline or, continue with The Realms 'as is' and simply use Ed's home campaign as an additional Realms-related profit generation stream?

Actually, the Spellplague was (conceptually, anyway) one of Ed's ideas; he just never intended it to actually happen. This is covered in Ed's scroll from last year, I believe; link forthcoming with the exact page, either from me or from whomever beats me to it.

Edit: Here: Almost halfway down the page; the long post by George Krashos.
Dark Wizard Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 23:53:05
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfhound75

Which means, if this is handled incorrectly, rather than heal the rift in their fan base, it could potentially divide them even further. The results of which should cause a shudder in all of us.

Agreed. As much as I dislike the Spellplague and related issues, going about a split this way with such a polarizing divisions and the 'backing' of the setting creator with one is not a good way to continue supporting the setting.

I doubt Wotc would do that. I think it will turn out similar to option 1 in your post above. It will be a collection of campaign notes, perhaps somewhat rules and time agnostic (maybe with brief adaption notes), something groups can pick and choose for which ever version of FR they run.

Hmm. What if the series isn't always a continual collections of Ed's notes, but a series of [Insert Author] Presents FR. Sort of like Monte Cook's WoD released not too far back.

Top of the Wishlist:

Jeff Grubb Presents Toril.

Maybe a new thread if this is inappropriate.

Wolfhound75 Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 20:57:51
I am inclined to believe this will come down one of two ways:

1. An on-the-side showcase of the campaign of the man who created The Realms

--or--

2. A 'reboot' of the Realmslore returning to the style of previous writings.

Regardless of which it is released as, I suspect the ultimate end result will be two-fold.

First, as many have stated, fans of The Realms will immediately rush to the nearest retailer to purchase this trove of lore creating a nearly overnight boom market and cash influx for WizBro. Then the principle of 'vote with your wallet' will create a self-fulfilling prophesy from there. WizBro, staring a potentially huge cash cow in the face, will be forced to make a decision (unless, IMO, the events of the Spellplague which started the entire schism are secretly one of Ed's ideas and covered in writings). I think, from a business decision view point, it's relatively simple math. Does WizBro follow the obvious profit and abandon the [arguably] unpopular spellplague timeline or, continue with The Realms 'as is' and simply use Ed's home campaign as an additional Realms-related profit generation stream?

Regardless of which decision they choose, I predict that many fans will adopt Ed's campaign as 'canon' regardless of what the officially published WizBro books contain. I also suspect that the longer you've been adventuring in The Realms, the more likely you will be to adopt Ed's version and abandon anything else.

Which means, if this is handled incorrectly, rather than heal the rift in their fan base, it could potentially divide them even further. The results of which should cause a shudder in all of us.

Good Hunting!

EDIT: Punctuation.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 19:14:52
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Folks, I think we're overlooking something here... This is just a showcase of Ed's campaign. There is no indication that any of this will be considered canon for the published setting.

BUT...

If this tome sells like MAD, what would you think an intelligent company would do? I know what I'd do.

If my hotcakes were 'selling like hotcakes', I know I'd start cooking a boatload of new hotcakes.

Lets remember the 'vote with your wallet' paradigm. It seems to have worked on 4e.

Oh, on that, I agree. I personally think that part of this is to test the waters, as it were. I was just commenting because at least a couple of posts seemed to indicate a belief that this was going to be canon from the get-go.
Markustay Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 15:31:06
quote:

Folks, I think we're overlooking something here... This is just a showcase of Ed's campaign. There is no indication that any of this will be considered canon for the published setting.

BUT...

If this tome sells like MAD, what would you think an intelligent company would do? I know what I'd do.

If my hotcakes were 'selling like hotcakes', I know I'd start cooking a boatload of new hotcakes.

Lets remember the 'vote with your wallet' paradigm. It seems to have worked on 4e.
Seravin Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 14:58:10
If it is published by Wizards, says Forgotten Realms, and has Ed's name on it...that's more canon to me personally than the 4th Edition FR book. Your mileage may very.

I'm so excited about this book, it's in my cart on Amazon awaiting purchase.
Old Man Harpell Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 05:24:47
quote:

Not at all, O Hamstermeister.

We are well aware that this is possibly a placation tactic, and little else. I, at least, am not under any illusion that this will be interpreted as an 'official setting'. I can accuse Wizbro of many things, but I will not claim they are stupid. It's about as genius a stroke as they could have devised, if you think about it.

But none of that matters. It's Ed Greenwood (as if I have to tell you that). We're getting our cake, and we can eat it, too. And that's all that matters.
Aryalómë Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 04:44:59
quote:

Don't crush our hopes, space hamster!
Aryalómë Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 04:43:32
quote:

Pretty sure followers of both would be absolutely ecstatic! Especially since the followers of one deity in particular don't even remember her name.... I'd love to see some former priestess come across one of her own journals or such and say, "I used to follow WHO??! Oh, wait... NOW I remember!!"

Gennifae reclined in the bone made chair, fond memories of a recent party between her clergy and the clergy of another goddess, Eilistraee, flicked through her mind.
She notices an old looking journal sitting curiously on a rotted bookshelf. She picks it up and blows the dust off of the cover. Pressed into the well worn leather was the title: Corspe Stealing and Other Useful Tactics Against the Spider Lovers, a Book of Lessons of Kiaransalee.
Gennifae's eyes widen. Memories flood back, ones that show how she lost her goddess from that other edition's wretched 4e lore. ...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 04:36:33
Old Man Harpell Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 03:54:27
quote:

That isn't so far-fetched as some may think. When the drowpocalypse happened, it specifically says 'erased all knowledge of her from the minds of her followers'. It said absolutely nothing about the printed word. So her lore, her histories, her holy books (as well as some of her temples, possibly)...all still there, and you know that Oghma would not suffer the destruction of so much of the written word - if at all.

So whoever told Lisa Smedman to do all those horrible things - take that. She deliberately left us so many outs, it's amazing to think about. Let's hope she (or another writer) is afforded the chance to fix that unnamed professor's mistake.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 01:59:17
Aryalómë Posted - 03 Feb 2012 : 01:34:01
quote:

I'll second Erendriel! And YES, by all means, Seravin, DO that!! It would break my heart if Ed lost all that lore from a fire or other disaster! (Speaking as someone who has a slowly building cashe of lore myself.... I've already started backing up mine.) :)

We should throw a party if our two missed deities come back! Though I'm not so sure how that would go over for the two goddesses and their followers though!
Dark Wizard Posted - 02 Feb 2012 : 23:38:52
We are Legion?

Good to see the community is still around and willing to reassemble if given the right impetus. We just needed some good news.

Let's just hope, despite the positive potential, that the roost doesn't become another roast.
Markustay Posted - 02 Feb 2012 : 23:29:00
Lots of old scribes coming home to roost.

"If you build it, they will come"
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 02 Feb 2012 : 23:25:43
I'll second Erendriel! And YES, by all means, Seravin, DO that!! It would break my heart if Ed lost all that lore from a fire or other disaster! (Speaking as someone who has a slowly building cashe of lore myself.... I've already started backing up mine.) :)
GMWestermeyer Posted - 02 Feb 2012 : 23:25:32
Well, as an old school grognard, I'm shocked Hasbro has managed to make me look forwards to a new FR book... I'm intrigued. I'll have to look it over first, they lost my trust long ago, but if it is what they say it is... wow... and I encourage people to snap them up if it is. The only way to get more books of this type is to show them there is a real market for it. Must make the book a best seller.

But again, only if you look at it and find it is what you like. Buying crap would only encourage them to produce more crap... :)
Eilserus Posted - 02 Feb 2012 : 23:06:27
Yes, exarch was just confusing. Demi-god has worked for 20 some odd years, just put that word back in. Maybe with 5E, the planar changes will have calmed down and the gods will start branching out on their own again, instead of having to seek shelter with more powerful deities. Blamo! The vast pantheons are back!!
Aryalómë Posted - 02 Feb 2012 : 21:46:46
Holy dear sweet gods! Can it really be? Praise be to the gods! Please tell me that a lot of the fey things are going to be fixed and a lot of the deities are coming back. (Kiaransalee, Kiaransalee, Kiransalee!) Oh, and that there are no aspects of the deities!! (Fix the Seldarine, Fix the Seldarine!)
Markustay Posted - 02 Feb 2012 : 14:37:23
You just put my stomach in a knot.
Seravin Posted - 02 Feb 2012 : 14:17:07
I live in Toronto and am in charge of business continuity disaster recovery at work (eg having off site work place, black box type indestructible servers and safes, backing up of data daily). Next time I see Ed I'm going to beg him to scan his room after room of loose leaf notes into PDF so we have some record of all his wonderful creations that would survive in the event of some peril. A small housefire would be terrible. I also wonder what kind of home owner's insurance rider he has on all that lore!
Eilserus Posted - 02 Feb 2012 : 07:21:11
Sembia would be a nice area to detail, especially with Shade governing them. Considering how merchant based that realm is, I think it'd be nice to see some heavy work done with caravans, trading costers etc and what kind of goods they have, what they are worth, how to run a merchant company etc etc. I don't know how strong of a want there would be for that stuff. But having a list of Realms trade goods, exotic Thayan wares, goods from Chult and really just a big old list of all goods of note produced from various nations and their worth would be good. Makes for cooler loot to reward than just a standard, you find 200 gold on the bandits type deal.
althen artren Posted - 02 Feb 2012 : 04:13:25
You wonder how he stores it all? El has brought
some bag of holding and those folding holes from
Faerun for him. Plus the spider filled crawl spaces
under the house are duo-dimensional.

Watch out for the crawling slime.
Therise Posted - 01 Feb 2012 : 20:35:57
That's the danger of focusing on hope, rather than reality.

Eladrinstar Posted - 01 Feb 2012 : 20:31:16
I think we're getting ahead of ourselves. How are we to know we're going to get more than three books before they move on to another setting, like in 4e? We're setting ourselves up for disappointment, says the cynic in me.
Seravin Posted - 01 Feb 2012 : 20:15:17
OMG....Volo's Guide to the Moonsea...dealing with Phlan especially (soft spot for it since Pool of Radiance goldbox on my Commodore 128 was my introduction to the Realms)....I'd die and go to heaven. I love the Moonsea 2nd Edition supplement with the Red Plume sticking a baguette at some Zhentilar.

And yes, Sembia...in particular Saerloon...I'd LOVE a Volo's Guide to Sembia. Both amazing suggestions. Cormyr is great but it has been well served in prior supplements I think. Spread the love!
Markustay Posted - 01 Feb 2012 : 19:55:05
Of course co-authored by Ed!!!
Everything would be based ENTIRELY off his notes, and he would get final say over everything contained therein (acting as editor-in-chief). With that methodology, we could expect a guide-book every other month, rather then one or two a year.

Also, only in areas where his payers hadn't really tread - leave the Heartlands entirely to him. Its a BIG playground, and I think certain (select) others could really do a great job (Steven Schend doing a Volo's Guide to the Lake of Steam Region, for instance).

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

And Brian Cortijo's doing Volo's Guide to the Western Heartlands... including Cormyr and its lineage, correct?
I love Cormyr - Azoun is my very favorite character - but I tink Cormyr is over-exposed for now. I would love another Cormyr book down the line, but not at first - it would look like they were just 'recycling' all over again. The Dales and Cormyr have both gotten Volos guides already. One of Sembia or the Moonsea lands would be more to my liking, at this point.

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Oh, and the esteemed Van Richten is deceased, sadly. I don't have details, but it is canon... and since he died in the Demiplane of Dread, he can't very well be writing in the Realms regardless of the timeline.
Who said anything about Rudolph?

He had a tryst with an Alu-fiend, who later escaped back to the Realms... and gave birth to their daughter Rachael. An intellectual hotty ('librarian vide') with cute little horns. Done and done.

Do I know how to sell this crap or what?

Just no more "Drizzt's Guide to...' --- Ugh

I also had a granddaughter planned for Volo, IF they decided to stay in the 4e-era.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000