Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Wooly Rupert

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Super Wizard II Posted - 26 Jan 2012 : 20:18:34
Hi,
I was wondering why Wooly Rupert is such a d-bag? I put up a thread and he totally locked it down, TWICE! And then he banned my account or soethign and I had to make a new one... that's a reaaaallll drag.

I'm like, wtf, bro? Cuz I read the rules and my post ddidn't break any of 'em!

So I don't understand why Wooly Rupert has to act like such a d-bag...
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wolfhound75 Posted - 01 Feb 2012 : 22:58:29
quote:
Originally posted by Light

This is the best thread I've read all day. It makes me wonder though how long the arm of Super Wizard reaches. What will his next incarnation be? Perhaps "Gaffax" (the newest member as of 23:19 EST January 27) is in fact Super. Indeed, maybe he is the puppet master who secretly controls Candlekeep without anyone knowing. Maybe 95% of the users who post in the scrolls are in fact "Super Wizard". This very scroll may be nothing but Super's many profiles posting in answer to each other. Truly a sad life he must lead.

I can't believe no other scribe has managed to figure out the true identity of Super Wiz.... In reality, he is a well-known figure from the realms with a modern incarnation! (You'll bonk your own forehead when you hear this and wonder why you didn't think of it yourself.)

(/scoobydoo ending ON)
He is none other than.....

.....MANSHOON!!!!!
(/scoobydoo ending OFF)

Does this count as injecting a little levity....when appropriate?

Good Hunting!
Tyrant Posted - 01 Feb 2012 : 21:43:51
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

So.... we're ALL Super Wizard?! wow, thanks! Now I know- and knowing is half the battle! (Sorry, just couldn't resist that GI Joe ref....)

As a G.I.Joe fan I always wondered what the other half was. I found out in an issue of Twisted Mego Theater (in Toyfare magazine, which may or may not still exist) thanks to the following exchange:

Duke: Knowing is half the battle.
Spider-Man: What's the other half?
Duke: (close up showing his crazy eyes) VIOLENCE!
And then a laser battle with Cobra broke out.

Just a little tidbit I hardly ever get to throw out there. Maybe Super Wizard MCMXXV of the 32nd century will enjoy it when he shows up to troll Wolly and Sage's descendants.
Ayrik Posted - 31 Jan 2012 : 01:10:29
A third account, Jakk? This stubborn fellow operates at least an half dozen accounts, and has in the past created dozens of accounts in a single day, incrementing each one with a Roman numeral after Wooly banned it.

I even suspect this overt trollishness is something of an alternate (and disposable) identity taken on by a scribe who, in normal guise, is actually quite affable and rational in D&D/Realmslore discussion. And he will argue about anything, with anyone, from any position ... primarily with the intent of provoking flames and emotional responses.
The Sage Posted - 31 Jan 2012 : 00:52:17
quote:

I have a question for one of the mods. If you get banned (like Super Wizard did) can you ever log into your account again? Not to post comments of course but just...log in.
As I recall, I think you can log-in to check PMs and other related-stuff, but you're unable to post.
Jakk Posted - 30 Jan 2012 : 22:23:00
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

That's good to know, Sage.

I'll repeat my suggestion from another scroll, even though it's rather distasteful:

When members are BANNED - most especially if for <ahem> trolling - their post count should be reduced to 0, their title changed to "Banned", and all their posts replaced with "Removed by mods because violated site CoC" or whatever.

Yes, this is indeed a slippery slope ... but it is marginally effective on other forums. The persistent trolls tend to want to have a lingering presence, to have people continue to discuss their inflammatory posts indefinitely. Being denied attention, existence, or recognition of any kind is often enough to drive them elsewhere. I say that if you're gonna go downhill on a slippery slope then at least do it right and use a snowboard!

Some of the folks who have since been banned have offered some good input, before going astray. We've had more than one person who ranked up a few hundred posts before their antagonistic nature became apparent, or who were not that bad up until a certain point. I'm not one to dismiss good input from someone because their later input was offensive...

Most of the inflammatory posts don't get much more attention other than the verbal equivalent of a roll of the eyes. And I personally think that simply marginalizing such behavior is an effective way to handle it.

I could have deleted more of SuperWizzie's posts (I did remove a few)... But most of these posts will be buried by more recent -- and more productive -- talk within days. It will be marginalized and forgotten, a worthy fate for such drivel.

I hadn't even realized he'd created a THIRD account... and I understand Wooly's argument, but did he really contribute ANYTHING useful? If not, I'd say get rid of them all. That being said, I'm thankful for Wooly's position; I was actually one of the inverses to Wooly's example; I registered and started posting on CK in response to 4E's release (I'd been lurking as a guest for the previous two and a half years, mostly for Ed's wise words), and I most definitely fit the definition of a troll... I was not nearly as bombastic or obnoxious as our friend SW, but I had nothing good to say about the Spellplague or the 4E Realms. That gradually changed as I focused on pre-Spellplague discussions in an effort to obtain (and contribute) something useful with my time here, and several of my contributions were alternate Spellplague scenarios... and I spent most of a year away from here because (a) I was busy in RL and (b) I was running out of things Realmsian that didn't frustrate me, mostly thanks to the lack of available lore due to NDAs. I came back a couple of weeks ago in response to the new edition announcement, and I've found it to be generally (SW aside) a much kinder, gentler, and more civilized place than the Keep I left... much credit goes to Alaundo, Sage and Wooly for that, but I also have to attribute some credit to Ed and THO for keeping the faith in the Realms... and WotC's recent announcements regarding the future direction of the Realms have been very positive indeed. In short, it's a good time to be at Candlekeep, and I hope we can pull some other past worthies back into the fold.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

When members are BANNED - most especially if for <ahem> trolling - their post count should be reduced to 0, their title changed to "Banned", and all their posts replaced with "Removed by mods because violated site CoC" or whatever.
While I agree that this would be a sound strategy, I'm not entirely comfortable, personally, with censoring such past content. If it's wholly disruptive and/or vile, then by all means, I would remove such commentary.

But, in most cases, I prefer the role of a Moderator who largely acts as a Mediator. When we start getting into the dynamics of censoring/editing select commentary here, it becomes a slippery slope, as you so rightly point out, Ayrik. I'm not comfortable with the notion of where the line should be drawn against what should be censored and what should be left wholly intact.

I realise that may be a stance that some scribes might not particularly like from their Moderators. And, if any of you feel like addressing this issue with me, then I'll welcome any further discussion of it. Ultimately, we serve in the best interests of the whole community. So if any of you are uncertain or unhappy with our methods of Moderation, then please share your concerns with us.

We invite you, in fact... because in these trying times of edition-debates and so forth, I'm afraid the patience of our collective will be tested again and again. Thus, we need feedback to ensure we're keeping up on what may be causing disruptions here, and whether our measures are truly working efficiently to ensure a pleasant and respectful environment for friendly Realms chatter.

Have at it, I say!

Overall, as I've said in response to Wooly's post above, I think you've all done a fantastic job here... and I understand the difficulties of "threat assessment" - I use that term because trolls are threats to the fabric of our online community. In this particular case, I think that SW's posts have been responded to clearly and decisively enough that it's obvious that his conduct is reprehensible, and as long as Wooly is okay with his posts staying up (he's the one being attacked in them, after all), I think they're a good warning to other potential trolls. I would, however, recommend locking the poll; I was rather disturbed by the number of votes it had received, both negative (to Wooly) and total. Ignore the "troll poll", people!

I don't know about edition debates... I think the new edition will end the edition wars for good, if they do what it sounds like they're doing; one should be able to emulate any previous edition back to OD&D if they do the modular approach correctly, and I think the "edition wars" were won by Pathfinder. Their takeover of "top spot" (hey... that's a palindrome... sorry) forced Wizards to rethink their strategy entirely, and I suspect we'll see a lot more interest in the fan base from WotC moving forward.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Jan 2012 : 18:59:39
quote:

Well I myself did some digging and was very amused by what I found. He was indeed quite the troll and a very determined one at that. Here are the THREE threads that led up to this one (I'm sorry, I couldn't find out how to link them into words so just gave the URL).

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16141
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16142
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16143

Then he followed them up with this very scroll we are in and then had the gall to make another (and a very interesting poll the likes of which I don't believe has ever been seen before in Candlekeep...one which is still able to be voted in as a matter of fact):

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16144

I have a question for one of the mods. If you get banned (like Super Wizard did) can you ever log into your account again? Not to post comments of course but just...log in.

Not sure; I've never banned myself to check.

Pretty sure you can't log in, though.

I will recommend the Forum FAQ for seeing how to do the nifty bits of coding.
Drakul Posted - 30 Jan 2012 : 18:23:59
By the Gods. Talk about blatant violation of the CoC.
Light Posted - 30 Jan 2012 : 15:37:18
Well I myself did some digging and was very amused by what I found. He was indeed quite the troll and a very determined one at that. Here are the THREE threads that led up to this one (I'm sorry, I couldn't find out how to link them into words so just gave the URL).

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16141
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16142
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16143

Then he followed them up with this very scroll we are in and then had the gall to make another (and a very interesting poll the likes of which I don't believe has ever been seen before in Candlekeep...one which is still able to be voted in as a matter of fact):

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16144

Drakul Posted - 30 Jan 2012 : 13:32:38
Dare I ask as to what type of rubbish the OP posted in the thread that is the root of all this??
Kajehase Posted - 29 Jan 2012 : 06:33:48
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I'M A DUCK!!

I believe that you just admitted to being a witch, goodsir! BRING FORTH THE DUNKING BOOTH!

D'oh!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Jan 2012 : 16:07:30
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

I'M A DUCK!!

I believe that you just admitted to being a witch, goodsir! BRING FORTH THE DUNKING BOOTH!

He turned me into a newt!

I got better.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Jan 2012 : 16:06:38
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

Just wondering, is not a way of deleting scrolls not just locking them? The mods could do good use of them so we don't have to see, at least for a while, these nonsense threads.

We can delete threads instead of locking them; I did do that with one of Supie's threads. Generally, I prefer to lock the thread, though, as a warning to both the original poster and to any who may have similar trollish intent.
sleyvas Posted - 28 Jan 2012 : 15:44:54
quote:

I'M A DUCK!!

Light Posted - 28 Jan 2012 : 14:47:26
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

Just wondering, is not a way of deleting scrolls not just locking them? The mods could do good use of them so we don't have to see, at least for a while, these nonsense threads.

Or a way of making them "invisible" to everyone except moderators. I'm sure that's possible.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Some of the folks who have since been banned have offered some good input, before going astray. We've had more than one person who ranked up a few hundred posts before their antagonistic nature became apparent, or who were not that bad up until a certain point. I'm not one to dismiss good input from someone because their later input was offensive...

I love this. The way it's worded makes it sound so dramatic and tragic... that they went "astray". They were "seduced by the dark side of the force".
Thelonius Posted - 28 Jan 2012 : 11:30:30
Ayrik Posted - 28 Jan 2012 : 03:34:19
I do applaud Candlekeep's staff for keeping the scrolls utterly free of even the tiniest speck of spam. Admittedly, Sage's gremlins are sometimes overly perspicacious in their duties, but they nonetheless serve us well. Gratz or huzzah, whichever ye prefer.
Thelonius Posted - 28 Jan 2012 : 00:11:07
quote:

quote:
Wooly Rupert

Most of the inflammatory posts don't get much more attention other than the verbal equivalent of a roll of the eyes. And I personally think that simply marginalizing such behavior is an effective way to handle it.

I think I agree with your assessment. Although I might argue that we have lost much good input from several fine scribes who voluntarily quit the keep once sufficiently inflammed and dissatisfied by repeated trolling, intolerance, and ignorant arguments; there are probably many scribes such as myself who abandon the keep for days or weeks at a time when glancing at the active topics shows little more than a promise of endless bickering.

I am with you here Ayrik.... I also sometimes "quick" temporary the forums just to refresh myself....
The Sage Posted - 28 Jan 2012 : 00:06:50
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

No, * I * am Super Wizard, and my wife is, too!
love,
THO
Who is JUST KIDDING. With a nod to Python.

Personally, I think Ed is the ONLY Super Wizard.

But the Super Lady Hooded One, though, sounds better. Right?
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 23:30:46
So.... we're ALL Super Wizard?! wow, thanks! Now I know- and knowing is half the battle! (Sorry, just couldn't resist that GI Joe ref....)
Ayrik Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 23:29:25
quote:
Wooly Rupert

I think I agree with your assessment. Although I might argue that we have lost much good input from several fine scribes who voluntarily quit the keep once sufficiently inflammed and dissatisfied by repeated trolling, intolerance, and ignorant arguments; there are probably many scribes such as myself who abandon the keep for days or weeks at a time when glancing at the active topics shows little more than a promise of endless bickering.
Ayrik Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 22:23:11
Well, Wooly's a bit of a scruffy-looking nerf-herder, but whatever that is it worked well for Han Solo so it can't be a bad thing.
Thelonius Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 20:18:42
Yah and I'm the Black Beast of Arghhhhhh.... sorry I don't like to intervene in these threads but I felt just like refering to Monthy Python aswell...
Kajehase Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 19:45:15
I'M A DUCK!!
The Hooded One Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 18:29:05
No, * I * am Super Wizard, and my wife is, too!
love,
THO
Who is JUST KIDDING. With a nod to Python.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 15:27:26
I'm a Wizard, he's a Wizard, wouldn't you like to be a Wizard, too?

(Old Dr. Pepper commercial, in case you don't catch the reference )
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 14:10:00
*I* am Super Wizard! [/Spartacus]

(no, not really)
Light Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 13:15:36
This is the best thread I've read all day. It makes me wonder though how long the arm of Super Wizard reaches. What will his next incarnation be? Perhaps "Gaffax" (the newest member as of 23:19 EST January 27) is in fact Super. Indeed, maybe he is the puppet master who secretly controls Candlekeep without anyone knowing. Maybe 95% of the users who post in the scrolls are in fact "Super Wizard". This very scroll may be nothing but Super's many profiles posting in answer to each other. Truly a sad life he must lead.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 10:51:18
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

Just for the record. I like Wooly Rupert.

I'm rather fond of him, myself.

Kiaransalyn Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 09:43:10
Just for the record. I like Wooly Rupert.
The Sage Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 07:04:26
No apologise is necessary, Fellfire. Sometimes a little jocularity works wonders, and we certainly appreciate those scribes who enjoy making light of tense situations... when appropriate.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000