Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How do you ingest the Realms?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Caolin Posted - 13 Jan 2012 : 22:58:00
Given the great debate over whether to reboot or not I became curious as to how people are ingesting the Realms.
28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jakk Posted - 24 Jan 2012 : 08:54:35
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Given the great debate over whether to reboot or not I became curious as to how people are ingesting the Realms.

Perhaps in my next incarnation I will return as a bookworm.

Edit: Given the apparent division between novel-readers and players, apart from a few like myself and The Sage, it makes me wonder if a separation of novels from game setting canon wouldn't be a good idea after all... RSEs sell novels, but they rarely earn favour with gamers, at least in my experience. Just an observation, and it's early in this poll yet, but I wanted to mention what I was seeing here. We have this discussion running elsewhere in the 'Keep, so I'd rather we kept this scroll clear of statements for or against the idea; I'll try to find a link for everybody unless Sage or Wooly beat me to it.

Edit: Okay, here we go... let's see if I remember how to add links properly...
Poll: Reboot for 5e
One Canon, One Story, One Realms
What Would You Change in 5e?
Jakk Posted - 24 Jan 2012 : 08:52:44
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I'm with her. ^

Alystra! Good to see you're still around; the DnD Next announcement got me back here after about a year's absence. I didn't have time to realize it until my return, but I missed this place.

As for my details re: topic: I read all of Ed's novels, E. S. de Bie's novels, and Paul Kemp's novels. I look forward to being able to once again read Elaine Cunningham's Realms novels, and I own every FR product for 1E, 2E, 3E, and 3.5. Enough said.
Patrakis Posted - 24 Jan 2012 : 00:56:31
I used to play and read everything tied to the realms. I have every thing ever published about the realms. But, as of 2008, i stopped following the development of the setting. In novels and gaming supplement.

Pat
Kiaransalyn Posted - 22 Jan 2012 : 11:58:19
quote:

Perhaps in my next incarnation I will return as a bookworm.
Thauranil Posted - 16 Jan 2012 : 10:25:36
I just read the novels, i do play the video games though. Hope Neverwinter doesnt disappoint.
LastStand Posted - 16 Jan 2012 : 06:12:34
Read most of the novels and quite a few 3e sourcebooks, but never played a tabletop D&D game - if I had the opportunity I would probably though.
skychrome Posted - 16 Jan 2012 : 02:29:11
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

I play the game frequently, I stopped reading the novels cause at best they are mediocre fantasy

Except Paul S. Kemp....
Quale Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 19:01:47
I play the game frequently, I stopped reading the novels cause at best they are mediocre fantasy
Caolin Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 17:21:33
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

quote:

Purely TSR gamer (except for the Serpet book for 3ed.); I read the novels earlier, but for some reason I enjoyed the ones written after 95 by others than Ed less and less. After struggling through (or giving up on) nearly a dozen books published after 2000 I stopped being a novel reader at all. Life's to short to read books I don't enjoy and the setting it showed was not my realms anyway.

Wow, I'm sorry you could never find any enjoyment in anything after 95. I would have walked away a long time ago if I were that unhappy with the product. But have you ever thought that life is too short to take the Realms that seriously? I mean, I love the setting and all. I may scream and yell when changes are made that I don't like. But at the end of the day, it is just make believe. Real life can be tough at times and it has always been nice for me to have a place to go and escape.

Oh, no you misunderstand me. I just continued as a gamer without any respect for canon and with myself as the over-god of the Realms. I would leave the realms if I didn't enjoy them. But to me the novels where a part of the gameworld, when I didn't get any impulses for the game from them I lost interest. When I joined Candlekeep I tried to get back into the novels as so many people were raving about them and bought a bunch. But it turned out that although they may be better written and in many ways be closer to a concise canon i did not have any fun for the same reason as before; it didn't add anything to my gaming Realms.

And that is the point I am hopping around from thread to thread trying to make. Being a Realmsfan is not about how recent your receipts are.

And I am sorry that my ravings have a tendency to come after your posts, there is a bit of pent up irritation here that has nothing to do with your specific posts.

Heh, I got a real sense of sadness from your post. Sorry about that. And it's OK, I don't mind that people have differing opinions. But I'm just trying to connect the dots in where those differences lie. There has to be a solution out there that will bring everyone to a point where they can enjoy the Realms.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 16:49:17
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

With fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Haven't played in about a year, and I've only read four or five novels in the 4E era.

Beat me to it...
I haven't played much FR recently, and haven't been reading the novels either.
Old Man Harpell Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 16:24:09
Player, with a novel here and there that catches my interest. I heard what happened, for example, in the Lady Penitent trilogy before I could pick up the books, and the concept of what happened at the end disgusted me so much I never bothered to read them.

But like the Sage, my journey began with the OGB (and Darkwalker soon after). It was the OGB that breathed new life into a campaign that just wasn't going anywhere. I have made it a point to purchase all things (game material-wise) Realms, even 4th Edition stuff that made me want to weep. But there are lots of Realms novels I haven't read, and couldn't tell you what was in them to save my life.
Thelonius Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 16:06:44
I am by far more of a reader than a player, never played table D&D and I regret that soooo much
Artemas Entreri Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 15:55:31
I played 2E AD&D back in the day, but now i just read the novels and i am very selective about that.
Dennis Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 13:23:04

None. I only read the novels.
Jorkens Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 08:48:48
quote:

quote:

Purely TSR gamer (except for the Serpet book for 3ed.); I read the novels earlier, but for some reason I enjoyed the ones written after 95 by others than Ed less and less. After struggling through (or giving up on) nearly a dozen books published after 2000 I stopped being a novel reader at all. Life's to short to read books I don't enjoy and the setting it showed was not my realms anyway.

Wow, I'm sorry you could never find any enjoyment in anything after 95. I would have walked away a long time ago if I were that unhappy with the product. But have you ever thought that life is too short to take the Realms that seriously? I mean, I love the setting and all. I may scream and yell when changes are made that I don't like. But at the end of the day, it is just make believe. Real life can be tough at times and it has always been nice for me to have a place to go and escape.

Oh, no you misunderstand me. I just continued as a gamer without any respect for canon and with myself as the over-god of the Realms. I would leave the realms if I didn't enjoy them. But to me the novels where a part of the gameworld, when I didn't get any impulses for the game from them I lost interest. When I joined Candlekeep I tried to get back into the novels as so many people were raving about them and bought a bunch. But it turned out that although they may be better written and in many ways be closer to a concise canon i did not have any fun for the same reason as before; it didn't add anything to my gaming Realms.

And that is the point I am hopping around from thread to thread trying to make. Being a Realmsfan is not about how recent your receipts are.

And I am sorry that my ravings have a tendency to come after your posts, there is a bit of pent up irritation here that has nothing to do with your specific posts.
Caolin Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 08:37:56
quote:

Jorkens Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 08:13:40
Thrasymachus Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 04:18:51
I read most of the novels but rarely play the game.
I should say, I have purchased all but about 8, but am behind in my reading. I have bought a few of the 4th Ed source, but not a lot. I have just about everything source material wise prior to 4E
But, I am coming out of DMing retirement, and really glad Candlekeep is here, because I couldn't make heads or tales of Wizards website.
TMI?
froglegg Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 02:33:10
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Haven't played in about a year, and I've only read four or five novels in the 4E era.

I have not had anything to do with the 4th edition Realms.

John
Ayrik Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 02:25:37
I think I would like a meaty Realms platter, gently braised to crispy grilled golden perfection and presented in a drizzle of deliciously fresh sauce au fromage and a sprinkling of Zakharan spice. Served with a nicely chilled bottle of Red Steeled Ravenloft and followed by a post-apéritif of mixed crunchy Planescape and Spelljammer hors d'oeuvres. And a Kara-Turan fortune cookie, of course.

Although I've been starved on Realmslore so long that I could bypass the arrogant haute cuisine and just go for a nice 2E-style all-you-can-eat fingerfood smorgasbord. Hopefully new Realmslore won't be fast food or junkfood, which I avoid.
The Sage Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 02:06:08
I've read and gamed the Realms since I received my copies of both Darkwalker on Moonshae and the Ol' Grey Box in 1987.
scererar Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 02:02:14
Play and read everything about the realms. All editions, all novels since 1986

Edit: Man Sage - I am getting old and forgetful in my old age. Started forgotten Realms in 1987 - started D&D with the red box in 86
Diffan Posted - 14 Jan 2012 : 01:52:52
I ingest the realms with a bit of butter, lighly salted, served warm. A splash of wine (or mead, my favorite) is a great way to cap it off.
Caolin Posted - 13 Jan 2012 : 23:28:10
OK, poorly worded poll. I'll try better next time.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 13 Jan 2012 : 23:16:02
I'm with her. ^
Therise Posted - 13 Jan 2012 : 23:13:36

Caolin Posted - 13 Jan 2012 : 23:11:37
quote:
Originally posted by rjfras

how about a "I play the game alot, but don't read any of the novels"?

Well, consider the second choice in those terms. Besides, I don't know how to change the poll. :(
rjfras Posted - 13 Jan 2012 : 23:01:38
how about a "I play the game alot, but don't read any of the novels"?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000