Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 2012-13 novels

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Skeptic Posted - 14 Dec 2011 : 15:47:22

The Masked Witches (RLB)
Venom in Her Veins (new FR author : Tim Pratt)
Spinner of Lies (Cordell)
The Rose of Sarifal (new FR author : Paulina Claiborne)
The Gilded Rune (Smedman)
Prince of Ravens (Baker)

Charon's Claw (Salvatore) [August]
Demon Weave (new FR author : Alex Irvine)
Elminster Enraged (Greenwood) [September]
Eye of Justice (de Bie) [September]
Godborn (Kemp) [November]
Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils (Evans) [December]
Spider and Stone (J. Johnson) [December]
Rise of the Zhentarim: Bound by Blood (new FR author : Max Lunden) [December]

Prophet of the Dead (RLB) [February]
The Last Threshold (Salvatore) [March]
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dennis Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 13:28:48

He's really good. He also did the cover for the omnibus edition of The Year of Rogue Dragons and the latest Elminster series.

I checked his website. He's got some new cool stuff, but I haven't seen the art for Prophet of the Dead in his gallery. Either he is not the one who made it, or he's not yet allowed by WotC to put it there until the book is actually released.
Kno Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 13:14:50
I know him from Guild Wars, thanks
Dennis Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 13:08:59
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

do you know the artist of the Prophet of the Dead cover?

Probably Kekai Kotaki, the cover artist of the previous BotG books.
Kno Posted - 15 Aug 2012 : 12:58:06
do you know the artist of the Prophet of the Dead cover?
phranctoast Posted - 14 Aug 2012 : 14:01:05
I think it would be cool if the DR turned out to be a contingency DR in anticipation of the destruction of one of the others in Thay.
Merrith Posted - 14 Aug 2012 : 10:09:10
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I seriously doubt he cared whether people thought his attention was outward or otherwise. The zulkirs knew about the DRs he erected in Thay. And they're the immediate and serious threat he'd do well ridding of first before staging another campaign outside Thay. He had no reason to be worried about outside forces knowing about the DRs. Even if, for instance, Shade learned of the DRs' existence and realized how serious a threat they were, they still wouldn't be so careless to launch an attack against Thay. Heck, even the rulers of Aglarond doubted a ritual of such magnitude could work.

Well, establishing one outside of Thay might make them seem like places of power/fortresses that expanded Thayan influence...but not some setup for a ritual that would destroy everything and everyone. Speaking of which...I do believe Shade would have launched an attack if they knew exactly what the DR's were for, I believe anyone would have. Problem one the only one who knew it to act was Aoth and friends who luckily convinced the zulkirs to act. Now granted, perhaps some super mages could see at the time that it would be stopped or they were ordered to do nothing by their deities but I can't imagine anyone who knew Tam was working on something that would destroy everything if he succeeded would sit by and do nothing.
Dennis Posted - 14 Aug 2012 : 09:28:05

I seriously doubt he cared whether people thought his attention was outward or otherwise. The zulkirs knew about the DRs he erected in Thay. And they're the immediate and serious threat he'd do well ridding of first before staging another campaign outside Thay. He had no reason to be worried about outside forces knowing about the DRs. Even if, for instance, Shade learned of the DRs' existence and realized how serious a threat they were, they still wouldn't be so careless to launch an attack against Thay. Heck, even the rulers of Aglarond doubted a ritual of such magnitude could work.
Merrith Posted - 14 Aug 2012 : 07:45:29
quote:

No, the dates didn't coincide. Szass Tam built the Dread Ring in Neverwinter prior to the collapse of the ones in Thay.

Oh that's right we had this discussion before...I wonder if this was a simple error in dates or something they'll have to explain away. Hell maybe it was Tam's way of getting rid of some undesirables or having people think his attention was outward when it really was all inward. We'll probably get some sort of explanation at some point.
Dennis Posted - 14 Aug 2012 : 07:35:24

No, the dates didn't coincide. Szass Tam built the Dread Ring in Neverwinter prior to the collapse of the ones in Thay.
Merrith Posted - 14 Aug 2012 : 07:31:03
quote:

And Richard already confirmed that part of the next book will be set in Thay. [Hopefully, Richard would also explain why Szass Tam is wasting his resources building Dread Rings in the Sword Coast. Someone has to do it, I suppose. And it appears like RAS has no plans whatsoever. They're both using the same character who's doing different things at the same time.]

Well I figured that explanation was sort of based on the simple fact he couldn't do his ritual with the ones in Thay anymore, so obviously he'd have to look elsewhere...and the cataclysm they could semi-easily cause made it a convenient spot to go to. Didn't work out. As for part of it being set in Thay...it would have to be given how Aoth ended up.
Dennis Posted - 14 Aug 2012 : 07:17:16

And Richard already confirmed that part of the next book will be set in Thay. [Hopefully, Richard would also explain why Szass Tam is wasting his resources building Dread Rings in the Sword Coast. Someone has to do it, I suppose. And it appears like RAS has no plans whatsoever. They're both using the same character who's doing different things at the same time.]
Merrith Posted - 14 Aug 2012 : 07:03:01
quote:

As I am. Also in Szass Tam's and the hathrans' reactions to Lod's ambitious schemes.

Part of me wishes Thay/Tam was kept out of it, but given location and where Aoth ended up it's very unlikely. Plus you have the whole undead angle.
Dennis Posted - 14 Aug 2012 : 06:53:32

As I am. Also in Szass Tam's and the hathrans' reactions to Lod's ambitious schemes.
Merrith Posted - 13 Aug 2012 : 21:55:19
quote:

Lod - a bone naga and founder of the Eminence of Araunt, a relatively new power in Toril. Brought to the world on the planeshifted continent of Returned Abeir, The Eminence views itself as the de facto ruler of all undead across Toril. Through a series of rituals The Eminence connects undead-only portals to the catacombs and crypts of the world, raises the interred and declares them principalities of Araunt.[FR Wiki]

Another reason I loved the direction of the story in Masked Witches. Given how the previous trilogy focused on another area of the continent that saw huge changes from the Spellplague, I'd have to rank this whole series as having been great ways to introduce/expound on info about new groups/places presented in the 4E source book. Extremely interested to learn more about Lod and The Eminence.
Dennis Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 22:50:54

Lod - a bone naga and founder of the Eminence of Araunt, a relatively new power in Toril. Brought to the world on the planeshifted continent of Returned Abeir, The Eminence views itself as the de facto ruler of all undead across Toril. Through a series of rituals The Eminence connects undead-only portals to the catacombs and crypts of the world, raises the interred and declares them principalities of Araunt.[FR Wiki]
jornan Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 22:40:28
Awesome cover! I can't wait for this one to come out.

Did I miss something, who is Lod?
Dennis Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 22:24:50

Sharp eyes, ile. Didn't notice the VII before.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 22:15:19
Damned if it doesn't. I have sent an email advising WotC of the error. Thanks to you guys for bringing it to my attention.
ile Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 22:08:15
I know that this is book number 5.......but on the cover stands number VII.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51OwzdAE3uL._SS500_.jpg
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 22:04:56
Glad people like the cover. I love it. It reminds me of Frazetta, and I grew up when all the Howard and Burroughs reprint paperbacks were coming out with wonderful Frazetta covers. His work pretty much defines heroic fantasy illustration for me.

This is Book 5 of The Brotherhood of the Griffon. The series goes like this:

1. The Captive Flame
2. Whisper of Venom
3. The Spectral Blaze
4. The Masked Witches
5. Prophet of the Dead
ile Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 22:04:06
Whait...it should be V.:))
ile Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 21:59:39
Now that is a great cover..........but why book VII......what happened with number VI.
LastStand Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 21:47:43
quote:
Originally posted by phranctoast

quote:
Originally posted by Elsenrail

The Prophet of the Dead has a cover on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Prophet-Dead-Richard-Lee-Byers/dp/0786963611
Is it Lod?

That's a bad ass cover!!

Agreed.
Awesome cover art.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 21:09:36
It is Lod.
Dennis Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 21:05:52

Agreed. Well, if you ask me, all the covers (so far) of the Brotherhood of the Griffon series are attention-grabbing.
phranctoast Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 20:49:27
quote:

Is it Lod?

That's a bad ass cover!!
Dennis Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 19:07:03
quote:

Is it Lod?

Most likely, as the Eminence of Aurant plays a major part in this series.
Dennis Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 19:05:13
quote:
Originally posted by phranctoast

You didn't send death threats to Thomas Reid did you like the crazy Star Wars fans after Chewbacca was killed off by RAS

Nah. Not a Star Wars fan either. I very rarely read sci-fi anyway. I stick to fantasy almost always.
Elsenrail Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 18:50:56
Is it Lod?
phranctoast Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 13:51:36
quote:

Hmm. It looks like we're in opposite camps here. I was SO disappointed with The Fractured Sky that I didn't bother finishing it, nor giving it a second chance. In fact, the physical book met a rather horrible fate in my not so gentle hands.

I found it to be a great read. I wasn't happy about the way Mystra bit it, but I could relax knowing she probably foresaw it anyway and allowed it to happen.

You didn't send death threats to Thomas Reid did you like the crazy Star Wars fans after Chewbacca was killed off by RAS

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000