Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Best drinkers in the realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bladewind Posted - 03 Aug 2011 : 15:03:48
Which culture/race do you think is the most proficient in drinking large quantities of ale/alcohol?

My best guess is Centaurs followed closely by elves and dwarves.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Thauranil Posted - 08 Jun 2012 : 09:52:23
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Whereas an honest drinker like Pwent relies only on his sheer bloody minded stubbornness and cast iron gut in order to survive his heavy duty drinking.

I wonder if Pwent was more of a happy drunk or an angry drunk?

I can see him taking a swing at the first person who looked at him crossed-eyed.

And I can also see him wrapping his arm around the first person to come along, and singing wondrous praises to friendship and old times.

He would probably be likely to be both a happy and a belligerent drunk , often in the course of the same night.
BEAST Posted - 05 Jun 2012 : 22:28:16
quote:

Whereas an honest drinker like Pwent relies only on his sheer bloody minded stubbornness and cast iron gut in order to survive his heavy duty drinking.

I wonder if Pwent was more of a happy drunk or an angry drunk?

I can see him taking a swing at the first person who looked at him crossed-eyed.

And I can also see him wrapping his arm around the first person to come along, and singing wondrous praises to friendship and old times.
Dennis Posted - 05 Jun 2012 : 20:49:07
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Ahh but he has a little magical help surely ,in the form of the silver fire if nothing else.
Also he has had like a thousand years to build up a Wolverine level of tolerance to alcohol even if you discount magic.

Most mages of accomplishment have anti-drunkenness concoctions/spells. Also, they usually drink "quality" wine, which are hard to come by.

There is an existing spell in Realmslore for this: Spendelard's Chaser, which "was originally created in order to facilitate mental recovery from brewery research expeditions (in other words, as a hangover cure)." The spell basically purges poisons, including alcohol, from the body.

It's on page 55 of the old Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover.

Ah, yes. Thanks, Wooly. I know I read it somewhere; I just couldn't remember where.
The Sage Posted - 05 Jun 2012 : 14:42:08
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ahh but he has a little magical help surely ,in the form of the silver fire if nothing else.
Also he has had like a thousand years to build up a Wolverine level of tolerance to alcohol even if you discount magic.

Most mages of accomplishment have anti-drunkenness concoctions/spells. Also, they usually drink "quality" wine, which are hard to come by.

There is an existing spell in Realmslore for this: Spendelard's Chaser, which "was originally created in order to facilitate mental recovery from brewery research expeditions (in other words, as a hangover cure)." The spell basically purges poisons, including alcohol, from the body.

That does remind me... I had a pending query for Ed that was supposed to ask about whether there might be similar castings for those folk affected/incapacitated by minor poisons and/or drugs.
Thauranil Posted - 05 Jun 2012 : 11:31:57
quote:

quote:

quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Jun 2012 : 11:00:12
quote:

quote:

Dennis Posted - 05 Jun 2012 : 06:22:31
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Jun 2012 : 15:08:18
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

If we are talking about individuals...I'm going to go with Elminster as a rather fine heavy drinker. The man has had centuries to build a very strong tolerance to booze!

Funny thing, I remember when in a comic book he was drinking quite a bit against another wizard while the two debated history and such. I can't recall the wizard's name off the top of my head right now; but for some reason I remember the Astrolabe of Nimbral...Haldemar maybe?

Anyway, I would have to say Elminster is one of the "finest" drinkers in the world of Faerun.

Dwalimar Omen was the mage. It was in the second story arc of the Forgotten Realms comic, issues 5-8. I believe it was called "The Dragonreach Saga".

The two were discussing artifacts of the Realms.
Thauranil Posted - 02 Jun 2012 : 14:14:33
Dalor Darden Posted - 02 Jun 2012 : 13:08:35
If we are talking about individuals...I'm going to go with Elminster as a rather fine heavy drinker. The man has had centuries to build a very strong tolerance to booze!

Funny thing, I remember when in a comic book he was drinking quite a bit against another wizard while the two debated history and such. I can't recall the wizard's name off the top of my head right now; but for some reason I remember the Astrolabe of Nimbral...Haldemar maybe?

Anyway, I would have to say Elminster is one of the "finest" drinkers in the world of Faerun.
Thauranil Posted - 02 Jun 2012 : 12:48:18
@ Dennis: Wow that's tough haha.
@Giant space hamster: My bad
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Jun 2012 : 05:23:44
And now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion...
Dennis Posted - 02 Jun 2012 : 01:31:57
quote:

quote:

Well, it's dubbed in Tagalog, so they could choose any names they wanted. It's far easier to remember.

Thats not my point. I saw a dubbed version myself. I am just saying that they could have picked a name more true to the characters spirit. I mean does Eugene sound like a punks name to you.

Nah. That matters not. Here in our country, even people with "angelic" names like Gabriel and Nathaniel end up being on the wrong side of the law.
Thauranil Posted - 01 Jun 2012 : 16:02:07
quote:

Well, it's dubbed in Tagalog, so they could choose any names they wanted. It's far easier to remember.

Thats not my point. I saw a dubbed version myself. I am just saying that they could have picked a name more true to the characters spirit. I mean does Eugene sound like a punks name to you.
BEAST Posted - 31 May 2012 : 22:21:32
quote:

There's in character in Yuyu Hakusho whose "spiritual energy" (equivalent to innate magic) can only surface if he's drunk. He's funny and formidable at the same time. His enemies tend to underestimate him because of his constant drunken state.

Major Roy Focker of Macross fame always did his best flying while drunk, too. His friends thought it was natural talent--it turns out that it was just the booze!
Dennis Posted - 31 May 2012 : 14:34:45

Thauranil Posted - 31 May 2012 : 09:50:25
Well I saw it on animax which had an English version but kept all the original Japanese names so i didn't even know about these anglicized names. I mean Yuseke got turned into Eugene! Thats just ridiculous. I mean really Eugene doesn't even sound vaguely similar to Yuseke.
Dennis Posted - 31 May 2012 : 08:33:22

I'm not sure if that's the name used in the Filipino dubbed version. Most of the names in said version are English, like the main characters: Dennis (Kurama), Eugene (Yuseke), Vincent (Hei), and Alfred. But there's no other drunkard contestant in the Toguro Arc, so...
Thauranil Posted - 29 May 2012 : 07:45:36
quote:

There's in character in Yuyu Hakusho whose "spiritual energy" (equivalent to innate magic) can only surface if he's drunk. He's funny and formidable at the same time. His enemies tend to underestimate him because of his constant drunken state.

Are you talking about Chu?
Wow just thinking about this old series makes me nostalgic.
Dennis Posted - 28 May 2012 : 01:07:23

Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 27 May 2012 : 16:26:44
Pwent sounds like it's a little to hard for my likes, but give me elverquisst any day
Thauranil Posted - 26 May 2012 : 10:56:53
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:

Thibbledorf Pwent and the Gutbuster brigade hands down.

I once asked RAS to write a short story on the origins of Gutbuster and to call it "Pwent, on the Pint".

He hasn't gotten back to me on that yet.

let me if that ever comes out
would love to read a bit more about good old pwent.
BEAST Posted - 26 May 2012 : 04:33:31
quote:

I once asked RAS to write a short story on the origins of Gutbuster and to call it "Pwent, on the Pint".

He hasn't gotten back to me on that yet.
Markustay Posted - 25 May 2012 : 19:40:43
In the Chivalry & Sorcery rules, in one of the supplements (there was only a couple), they covered 'getting drunk' quite well, but the mechanics involved were too rules-heavy IMO.

Ergo, when I created my own character sheets for the game, I included an Intoxication Number, which was based on the rules, but much easier to apply. I basically did all the PC-math ahead of time, when generating the character, and the number could change over time, depending upon several variables, like level, and taking a 'drinking skill'. The game rules themselves had included differences for race and mass, which was rolled into my catch-all IN (Intox. #).

Then, every drink would have a number depending upon its alcohol percentage, and you just did a savings throw after finishing each drink, minus that number (which was cumulative). Sounds more complicated then it was (once you did the preliminary math on the char. sheet). How much you missed the SR by determined the effects (their was a table in the rules), and you could get worse and worse (just like RL).

Sadly, it almost never came up - rarely did anyone imbibe more then they could handle (us PCs, at any rate). A lot of work for very little return, I'm afraid. The only time PCs tend to drink like fish is when there are no rules in place covering it (and punishing them).

NOW, if you asked me about the time I accepted a cup of dragon-Coffee...

EDIT: As for the OP - didn't the Rashemi berserkers drink some pretty nasty stuff?
Thauranil Posted - 25 May 2012 : 11:29:59
Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 25 May 2012 : 09:57:50
I seem to recall a cetain half-moon elf who could down an entire goblet of elverquisst without any ill effects, while her human partner would sip at it because of its powerful kick.
Bladewind Posted - 01 Apr 2012 : 19:14:50
What effect does alcohol have in your games?

A low dc poison with Int damage and uncounsiousness? A subdual damage dealing beverage? Something else from earlier editions perhaps?

Ayrik Posted - 30 Mar 2012 : 21:56:53
I'm inclined to agree that regeneration in itself should only do what it says on the tin; rapid healing and repair of damage. I wouldn't think a ring of regeneration lets a PC guzzle more booze than normal or kick a headcold any faster, so he'd probably get just as drunk just as quick and suffer just as long with the hangover either way.

Although some creatures, like vampires, also possess great resistance (or virtual immunity) to toxins and pathogens, and it's often explained as at least partly related to their regeneration. I just don't think it really applies to trolls ... although I might be biased because I personally think a drunken troll (or a band of them) is a wonderful thing to use as an encounter.
Icelander Posted - 30 Mar 2012 : 19:49:13
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

Why NOT?

Damage at the cellular level can be physical or chemical. Poisons/venom/toxins can cause "damage" by blocking, enhancing, diminishing (etc) the ability of cells to perform basic functions. A creature with super-regeneration might be able to bypass the effects of alcohol and consume much more. Then the only problem would be the constant need to go to the bathroom to get rid of the excess liquid.

Because regeneration is an ability that characters can acquire, right? And the way it interacts with poisons is spelled out and it does not make their effects any less, it only fixes damage causeed by them after it has happened. Regeneration, on its own, is not helpful against poisons which do ability damage or cause other effects than hit point damage.

I see no reason to assume that it grants extra powers that do not logically result from it. If the rationale for a specific kind of regeneration does indeed result in certain other abilities logically springing from it, that's different, but then again, you'd have to account for how to seperate 'damage' from any other state for a cell. If regeneration prevents drunkenness, it would also prevent a lot of other things, some of which are healthy and necessary. Sleep changes brain waves and if regeneration sees that as 'damage', you might get into trouble.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 30 Mar 2012 : 19:39:56
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

The regenerative abilities of Trolls would make them a front runner in this.

Why?

AFAIK, nothing indicates that regeneration of physical damage means that non-lethal effects of poisons last a shorter time or have lesser effects.

In real world terms, while it is probable that anything with a mechanism for near-instant coagulation and cell reconstruction would also have a physiology so different from humans that chemicals would have a wildly divergent effect and a metabolism so fast that these effects would begin to tell much faster and last for less time, it is in no way assured, especially not if the ability to reconstruct tissue is magically bestowed.

If troll metabolism is much faster than human, that means that they require far more food than their size would indicate, which means that postulating that could have unintended consequences on ecological stuff in the Realms. It would also means that trolls became drunk much faster than others of similar size and build, not slower. Granted, they'd sober up faster too, but it would still not allow them to win any drinking contests.

Why NOT?

Damage at the cellular level can be physical or chemical. Poisons/venom/toxins can cause "damage" by blocking, enhancing, diminishing (etc) the ability of cells to perform basic functions. A creature with super-regeneration might be able to bypass the effects of alcohol and consume much more. Then the only problem would be the constant need to go to the bathroom to get rid of the excess liquid.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000