Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mortal offspring of gods?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Andr0s Posted - 24 May 2011 : 03:07:00
Hey guys just a question regarding a character concept I have and wondering if it fits lorewise into FR (where my campaign is set at)

Basically as the title says I'm planing on making a Sorcerer who was the offspring of a god during the time of troubles

He will just be regular human and it will mostly be flavor stuff (even the character will not be aware of his ancestry) the plan is maybe have it as a possible hook for the party going Epic if and when that faraway time comes.

I have not being able to find much info on gods offsprings when mating with mortals, so my only concern is that it doesn't fits with the settings due to some rule I don't know about in FR, so I ask you!

PD: First time poster though long time lurker
28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 08 Jun 2011 : 02:13:51
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

... (yes, I'm one of the small number of people that prefers those terms).

I count myself among such individuals... and I largely make it mandatory for players at my table too.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Jun 2011 : 18:11:46
quote:
Originally posted by Thente Thunderspells

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Andr0s

Hey guys just a question regarding a character concept I have and wondering if it fits lorewise into FR (where my campaign is set at)

Basically as the title says I'm planing on making a Sorcerer who was the offspring of a god during the time of troubles

He will just be regular human and it will mostly be flavor stuff (even the character will not be aware of his ancestry) the plan is maybe have it as a possible hook for the party going Epic if and when that faraway time comes.

I have not being able to find much info on gods offsprings when mating with mortals, so my only concern is that it doesn't fits with the settings due to some rule I don't know about in FR, so I ask you!

Iyachtu Xvim was rumored to be the son of Bane. Granted, he's a lesser deity (or was), but I'm betting when he was younger he was just an above average being. Now, the question is was his mother a mortal or not... and I don't know if that was ever officially answered (although for some reason, I think she was a devil).

It's said that his mom was either a tanar'ri or a corrupted paladin. I think it's possible that both are true... Perhaps Mamma Xvim was a tiefling paladin that Bane took an interest in. He seduced her, and the combo of his divine evilness and her fiendish blood proved overwhelming and transformed her into a tanar'ri.

Only to nitpick slightly... but wouldn't the influence of a LE Greater deity corrupting her turn her into a baatezu instead of the chaotic aligned tanar'ri?

Never understood why Bane would mate with a CE outsider anyway, but each to his own I guess!

Well, if lady paladin was descended from a tanar'ri, then she'd be more likely to become one of those than a baatezu (yes, I'm one of the small number of people that prefers those terms).
Thente Thunderspells Posted - 07 Jun 2011 : 18:01:41
quote:

quote:

quote:

Iyachtu Xvim was rumored to be the son of Bane. Granted, he's a lesser deity (or was), but I'm betting when he was younger he was just an above average being. Now, the question is was his mother a mortal or not... and I don't know if that was ever officially answered (although for some reason, I think she was a devil).

It's said that his mom was either a tanar'ri or a corrupted paladin. I think it's possible that both are true... Perhaps Mamma Xvim was a tiefling paladin that Bane took an interest in. He seduced her, and the combo of his divine evilness and her fiendish blood proved overwhelming and transformed her into a tanar'ri.

Only to nitpick slightly... but wouldn't the influence of a LE Greater deity corrupting her turn her into a baatezu instead of the chaotic aligned tanar'ri?

Never understood why Bane would mate with a CE outsider anyway, but each to his own I guess!

I like the idea of a god born sorcerer roaming the lands with the hook being delayed really until epic levels... hope you keep him alive until then Andr0s!
Zireael Posted - 07 Jun 2011 : 11:58:23
I love Wooly's theory...
sleyvas Posted - 05 Jun 2011 : 18:55:52
quote:

quote:

quote:

I like that theory, but then I'm usually in favor of things in the realms where if it says 2 seemingly different things are true.... well, then they're both true.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Jun 2011 : 17:13:04
quote:

quote:

sleyvas Posted - 05 Jun 2011 : 16:46:31
quote:

Lily M Green Posted - 30 May 2011 : 20:07:20
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:
Originally posted by Lily M Green

Any chance you might be so kind as to expand on the offspring of the Mulhorandi deities? Or at the very least point me in the right direction with regards to reading?

Cheers.

-As far as I can recall, there aren't specific mentions of individuals being direct offspring of the Mulhorandi deities. But, they spent time in the shell of mortals. Mortals have urges and needs, and, well, maybe they sowed their oats, resulting in bloodlines containing their genes. Personally, though, if such bloodlines existed, I wouldn't really consider them divine in any way, because said deities were technically mortals at the time- just like if someone was sired by a deity during the Time of Troubles.

That's exactly what I meant.

Thanks for the info on this.
Zireael Posted - 27 May 2011 : 13:46:54
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

Any chance you might be so kind as to expand on the offspring of the Mulhorandi deities? Or at the very least point me in the right direction with regards to reading?

Cheers.

-As far as I can recall, there aren't specific mentions of individuals being direct offspring of the Mulhorandi deities. But, they spent time in the shell of mortals. Mortals have urges and needs, and, well, maybe they sowed their oats, resulting in bloodlines containing their genes. Personally, though, if such bloodlines existed, I wouldn't really consider them divine in any way, because said deities were technically mortals at the time- just like if someone was sired by a deity during the Time of Troubles.

That's exactly what I meant.
Lord Karsus Posted - 26 May 2011 : 13:31:41
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Its always been my 'gut feeling' that folks with some divine blood are somewhat more common in the Realms then in other D&D settings, so IMHO it not only works within the setting, but fits-in with part of it's theme (Portals to everywhere and just about anything possible).

-The only other D&D setting I'm halfway familiar with (excluding Planescape, but you kind of have to have a plethora of deities and those kinds of things, there) is Dark Sun, and obviously there's not too much divine stuff going on there. The Forgotten Realms are a world where, sometimes very literally, the deities walk the planet, so divine entanglement- however you want to define it, be it kids, plots and rumors, etc.- are gonna be a given.
Markustay Posted - 26 May 2011 : 13:14:38
Its always been my 'gut feeling' that folks with some divine blood are somewhat more common in the Realms then in other D&D settings, so IMHO it not only works within the setting, but fits-in with part of it's theme (Portals to everywhere and just about anything possible).

I think Half of D&D's greater cosmology goes 'slumming' in the Realms.
Lord Karsus Posted - 26 May 2011 : 13:07:09
quote:

Cheers.

Lily M Green Posted - 25 May 2011 : 20:15:08
quote:

"Has not been expounded"? What are Seven Sisters, a pinch of dust? Or the Bhaalspawn? Or the Mulhorandi deities...

Cheers.
Saer Cormaeril Posted - 25 May 2011 : 06:18:28
So, who is your characters divine matriarch/patriarch?
Lord Karsus Posted - 25 May 2011 : 05:37:11
quote:

My biggest fear was some obscure rule or somesuch that stated that all godchild have to have special powers or something, as stated we just want the character to be a "regular" Sorcerer for now and then develop in Epics

-Hey, even if there was, the kid was conceived during the Time of Troubles, so those deities were just regular old mortals then, anyway. An out, if you need one.
Andr0s Posted - 25 May 2011 : 01:04:32
Thanks everyone for the responses! specially for the Epic Destinies resource, that was exactly the sort of thing we wanted, doesn't comes into play until Epic levels, for the first 20 I'll make do with Spell-casting Prodigy as a bonus feat :D

My biggest fear was some obscure rule or somesuch that stated that all godchild have to have special powers or something, as stated we just want the character to be a "regular" Sorcerer for now and then develop in Epics
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 24 May 2011 : 18:12:30
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

The Seven Sisters are not daughters of a deity, they are part of the deity.
I'm sure that would be news to the avatar of Mystra that gave birth to them.
Oh dearie me, it's the Arianic controversy all over again.
Probably best to steer clear of real world parallels, but yeah, it's basically one of those "child of god" divine mysteries. The mother of the Seven Sisters was a mortal indwelt by Mystra (and thus turned into an avatar while still being mortal), making them basically the daughters of Mystra but also mortal. It's a whole thing.

Cheers
Kajehase Posted - 24 May 2011 : 17:01:29
quote:

quote:

Oh dearie me, it's the Arianic controversy all over again.
Hawkins Posted - 24 May 2011 : 16:01:21
quote:

What edition are you playing. If you are playing 3.5, you might check out the heritage feats in the Player's Handbook II. If you are playing Pathfinder, I suggest checking out the different sorcerer bloodlines and pick out one that matches your concept. With the approval of your DM, you can probably use the Pathfinder sorcerer class in a 3.5 game. If you hit epic levels, you might check out the Demigod in the Epic Destinies in D&D 3.5 article (archived in my Google Docs).

I don't play 4e, and so cannot help you if that is what you are playing. I know that many of the other scribes do though, so maybe one of them can help you.
Kuje Posted - 24 May 2011 : 15:12:10
Dornal, their father, was a mortal, their mother though was basically Mystra since she possessed their mother. So, yea, they could be considered daughters of a deity.

quote:

quote:

quote:

*Blink* Last I knew was Sliverhand was a mortal and not an avatar. I certainly could has missed something.
Even if, a child of a avatar is not quite a child of the deity.

Saer Cormaeril Posted - 24 May 2011 : 14:38:19
quote:

"Has not been expounded"? What are Seven Sisters, a pinch of dust? Or the Bhaalspawn? Or the Mulhorandi deities...

Oh yeah, guess I did know some examples of 'godborn' in the Realms! Thanks, ziReal!
Kentinal Posted - 24 May 2011 : 13:14:25
quote:

quote:

*Blink* Last I knew was Sliverhand was a mortal and not an avatar. I certainly could has missed something.
Even if, a child of a avatar is not quite a child of the deity.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 May 2011 : 11:45:43
quote:

Kentinal Posted - 24 May 2011 : 11:36:42
The Seven Sisters are not daughters of a deity, they are part of the deity. The plan was to make sure the deity could not be killed.

As to a child of a deity, there appears few comments that apply. Local born half outsider might apply. It clearly is possible that a male deity does not even know has child, a female deity clearly should recall such an event.

As to the rest in many ways it depends on deity, low level vs. high level and of course the nature of the deity.

Higher level deity clearly has the better chance to know had child then low level deity.
An Evil deity, if knowing, might not care about the fact.
A Good deity should likely have greater interest in child.
Tyranthraxus Posted - 24 May 2011 : 11:22:51
There is an article in of the Dragons detailing PC bhaalspawn abilities, might be useful for your concept. You may even choose Bhaal as the father of your character since he's known to have mortal children
Zireael Posted - 24 May 2011 : 10:21:29

Lord Karsus Posted - 24 May 2011 : 06:05:01
-As far as I know, there isn't anything that would prevent you from the backstory you're imagining. With the character being a Sorcerer, his innate magical ability could be explained by his bloodline.
Saer Cormaeril Posted - 24 May 2011 : 04:04:35
Sounds like a really cool character concept, Andr0s, and not one that has been expounded upon in the canon Realms, as far as I know. However, the upcoming novel by Paul S. Kemp, Godborn, may. Depending on the edition of DnD you are playing, you could come at this from a number of ways.
In OD&D through 2e, I would work with the DM to give this character a few special abilities, enough to make him *feel* different. In 1e+Unearthed Arcana, I would start by boosting Comeliness, and go from there.
In 3e, I would just give him Divine Rank 0. This would be an effective level adjustment of +4, so you 1st level human 'godborn' sorceror would be on par with a 5th level character. As play progresses, you'll 'feel' the benefits of this bonus less and less. At Epic, this benefit will be more of a convenience thing, so story (working with the DM again) will have to drive this concept.
In 4e, I would request from the DM that you start our "wealthier" than other players. And you take this extra wealth as Divine Boons. Taking the DM and players view, I would also make it hard on this character; cults of your Godfather's enemies will surely be out to get you.

So there's my advice. I'm sure other scribes here will have more to offer!

Good gaming

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000