Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Maztica Campaign

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Seethyr Posted - 08 May 2011 : 16:04:32
For the past year, along with a few friends and some outstandingly generous artists, I've been doing my best to do my part in breathing some life back into Maztica. I'd truly like it to cut across editions but since I know 3.5 the best, most of the crunch has fallen into that tag (though the fluff could go anywhere).

This revival, which I'm respectfully calling the "Maztica Alive!" campaign, will contain Canon and only "additive" fanon that doesn't conflict.

There is a monster book completed already which is up on Scribd and hopefully will one day be here.

Many many more are in the works and some have almost been finished as well. If anyone is interested in checking it out, helping, contributing, etc please just say so!

In the meantime hopefully you enjoy the Monsters of the True World!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Seethyr Posted - 01 Oct 2011 : 18:56:13
The Great Skyhome has also just been updated. Cleared a few grammatical/consistency errors and added a new small 3d map for one of the locations.
Seethyr Posted - 29 Sep 2011 : 17:11:01
The third book is up in my sig. It's a treatise on the land of Lopango, its deities, creatures, deities and especially its peoples. It also includes a medium sized dungeon crawl facing two of the new races off against each other. I hope you enjoy this one, I've put more into this one than the other two. :-)
Seethyr Posted - 09 Sep 2011 : 20:21:53
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
Seethyr

I just commissioned a new piece of art for the next book and feel like I really have to share it. This artist is truly fantastic and somehow nails exactly what I had in mind when he draws for the netbooks...
I've recently been searching for artistic contributions to my own hitherto unannounced fan project concerning the lore of new Gith races (ssshhh, don't tell Sage yet). I know nothing about the "points based" commission system mentioned in your (excellent) artist's profile, Seethyr, and to be honest, I was expecting I would need to offer some small gold bounty, although I'll happily examine alternatives. Please feel free to send me a private missive about how I might learn more about this or other commission systems, or any artist recommendations or other comments you might feel I should know on the matter.

I do not wish to derail this scroll, yet I chose to post this here rather than privately as an invitation to anyone else who might wish to share their insights about how and where I might find quality artwork for my project. (Note to WotC agents, you're also welcome to send comments, of course, should you feel my work intrudes upon Wizbro IP; I have no intention of invoking legal problems.)

Pm sent :-)
Ayrik Posted - 09 Sep 2011 : 09:16:09
Um. Hmmm.

This is a scroll about Maztica campaigning, Sage. Please stay on topic.
The Sage Posted - 09 Sep 2011 : 08:36:19
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
Seethyr

I just commissioned a new piece of art for the next book and feel like I really have to share it. This artist is truly fantastic and somehow nails exactly what I had in mind when he draws for the netbooks...
I've recently been searching for artistic contributions to my own hitherto unannounced fan project concerning the lore of new Gith races (ssshhh, don't tell Sage yet).
Too late!

You know, of course, that I'm going to want to get involved in this.
Ayrik Posted - 09 Sep 2011 : 06:04:21
quote:
Seethyr

I've recently been searching for artistic contributions to my own hitherto unannounced fan project concerning the lore of new Gith races (ssshhh, don't tell Sage yet). I know nothing about the "points based" commission system mentioned in your (excellent) artist's profile, Seethyr, and to be honest, I was expecting I would need to offer some small gold bounty, although I'll happily examine alternatives. Please feel free to send me a private missive about how I might learn more about this or other commission systems, or any artist recommendations or other comments you might feel I should know on the matter.

I do not wish to derail this scroll, yet I chose to post this here rather than privately as an invitation to anyone else who might wish to share their insights about how and where I might find quality artwork for my project. (Note to WotC agents, you're also welcome to send comments, of course, should you feel my work intrudes upon Wizbro IP; I have no intention of invoking legal problems.)
Seethyr Posted - 09 Sep 2011 : 05:44:25
The third book, Lopango - Land of the Sacred Sun, should be 50+ pages soon. I've decided to include an adventure in the netbook using many of the new races, characters and monsters mentioned in the book. This adventure is also loosely based off of the movie Aliens vs. Predator but I don't want to give away much more than that..

Anyway, I have been tinkering with a program called Google Sketchup to attempt to make some 3d maps and "art" for the adventure. This is my first real attempt at doing something like this, so I'm really looking for suggestions. Typically I have all the artistic talent of a doorknob.

The Temple Pyramid

Quale Posted - 23 Aug 2011 : 11:00:13
Aguirre for the Cordell inspiration. Or even Kings of the Sun or the Fountain lol

quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I've seen this criticism of the setting many times (even among my own players) but I've always thought that the best story ever written is our own history. I kind of like the occasional copycat.

yea, history is the richest source of inspiration, claims that FR is not like our world are ridiculous

it's hard to get out of Europe though

I really like when someone uses elements from our world and turns them fantastic, e.g. the Wall in Westeros
Seethyr Posted - 23 Aug 2011 : 03:44:53
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Re-written RW history with barely changed names (Cortes/Cordell, etc) doesn't really interest me. Kara-Tur and The Hordelands were pretty much my upward-limit of derivation.

I've seen this criticism of the setting many times (even among my own players) but I've always thought that the best story ever written is our own history. I kind of like the occasional copycat. Without giving away anything about the books though, I think I can honestly say that other than a similar general outline, imo the derivation isn't as bad as I've heard it made out to be.

Admittedly though, the name Cordell was probably a really poor choice.

quote:
You want to REALLY get in the mood for a good Maztica game, watch Apocalypto.

I couldn't agree with you more. The film was brilliant!

quote:

Also, anything you can dig-up on the defunct and hard-to-find Living Malatra campaign setting might help you run the type of game you want, if you would rather run it from a 'native' perspective, rather then from the invaders point-of-view. There was some interesting stuff in there - damn shame I lost what little I was able to scrape together. In fact, my theory that the Saurials were originally part of the same Sauroid race as the Sarrukh derives from that material (Southern K-T contains primitive, tribal Saurials native to the region).

Great stuff! A few years ago I found a good percentage of the old Malatra scenarios in a Yahoo Group known as Jungle Tales.
Markustay Posted - 20 Aug 2011 : 02:06:46
Re-written RW history with barely changed names (Cortes/Cordell, etc) doesn't really interest me. Kara-Tur and The Hordelands were pretty much my upward-limit of derivation.

You want to REALLY get in the mood for a good Maztica game, watch Apocalypto.

Also, anything you can dig-up on the defunct and hard-to-find Living Malatra campaign setting might help you run the type of game you want, if you would rather run it from a 'native' perspective, rather then from the invaders point-of-view. There was some interesting stuff in there - damn shame I lost what little I was able to scrape together. In fact, my theory that the Saurials were originally part of the same Sauroid race as the Sarrukh derives from that material (Southern K-T contains primitive, tribal Saurials native to the region).
Seethyr Posted - 19 Aug 2011 : 07:59:21
quote:

quote:

Whoah that is fantastic! I would love to find those creatures and looks like I'm headed to Ebay for Once Around the Realms
NOT a great read - mostly tongue-in-cheek - but it is (unfortunately?) considered canon (although told by a famous story-teller, hence the 'embellishments'). Very little regarding Maztica - just one chapter - but what little there is is still more then we have seen in mainstream FR novels elsewhere.

Ahh that's disappointing but I'll still think I'll give it a read for fun.

quote:

You may also be interested in my article (as well as Brian James') in the Candelekeep Compendium Vol. IX. Mine is almost entirely HB, but I suppose Brian's would be considered 'Apocryphal' given his status.

I've read and studied those articles. I'm trying to stay as true to them as much as I am canon FR. I particularly love all the connections to the batrachi and I tried to run with that a bit in The Great Skyhome.

Come to think of it, one of my biggest disappointments in recent FR has been that a Serpent Kingdoms type book was never written for the batrachi.

Finally, as far as the Maztica novels go, if you can get your hands on a copy I strongly suggest picking them up. My wife is not in the slightest bit a gamer, and once she picked them up, she was unable to put them down. Reading them myself is actually what got me into the subsetting so hardcore.
Markustay Posted - 18 Aug 2011 : 18:41:14
quote:

Whoah that is fantastic! I would love to find those creatures and looks like I'm headed to Ebay for Once Around the Realms
NOT a great read - mostly tongue-in-cheek - but it is (unfortunately?) considered canon (although told by a famous story-teller, hence the 'embellishments'). Very little regarding Maztica - just one chapter - but what little there is is still more then we have seen in mainstream FR novels elsewhere.

quote:

Don't worry, I wont ask where those creatures are located.
They were human, and became native, which is why some of the peoples of Maztica have an 'Oriental' look about them (which is the FR version of the Bearing Straight theory concerning RW Native-Americans).

You may also be interested in my article (as well as Brian James') in the Candelekeep Compendium Vol. IX. Mine is almost entirely HB, but I suppose Brian's would be considered 'Apocryphal' given his status.

The only reason why I mention it is because I have established both Oriental/K-T and Egyptian/Mulhorandi cultures nearby, to better merge the wonderful Nyambe setting with Katashaka.

Those Kara-Turrans would have no relation to the ones brought over in the distant past by other means (portals).

Also, in some other project (there were so many!), I had mentioned that the Shou had attempted a settlement on the west coast of Anchorome', just north of Maztica, which was later found completely abandoned by them. This was an open plot-hook, a'la the Roanoke Island mystery. That gives the Shou a minor presence in both Katashaka and Anchorome', but not in Maztica (where there are already decendents of Kara-Turrans present).

Once again, all HB of course (except the part about the native shou/Mazticans).

Seethyr Posted - 18 Aug 2011 : 18:30:34
quote:

I just remembered - we did connect the the Maztican pantheon to the Draconic one (they are a great fit!) - most of the gods translate well with little adjustment. It also allowed my own HB theory that Tiamet created the Tlincalis (from Dark Elves native to Maztica who did not worship Lolth), thus connecting the D&D Scorpionmen to their mythical roroots.

Perhaps Tiamat was involved early on in their creation but I'm not positive if they remember or know of the connection. In Underdark, they already have quite a complex set of gods based on the tlincalli "zodiac." There are 11 gods, two minor and 9 major led by the god Huoxopica and his wife Ixtilli (all canon and apparently related to their 11 appendages). According to GHotR, they also have a connection to Obox-Ob (I believe).

I've tried to make Obox-Ob one of the two minor ones and have used Rr'ikin'aka (a demon lord imprisoned in the Wells of Darkness) as the other. Trying to create my first vestige in fact using Rrr'ikin'aka.

quote:
Another theory of mine (from the legendary Utter East project ) was that the cat-like Tabaxi were actually magically transformed Chultan Tabaxi; they remember very little of their origins, aside from the name (which they obviously kept).

Thats a fairly simple explanation for the confusion: BTW, I said it was the Rakshasa who inter-bred with human Tabaxi to create the cat-race (giving them similar origins as the Lizard-Kings and Tanarukks), but you can say whatever you want. The Tabaxi (people) originated in Katashaka, when it was still part of the single proto-continent, so that same ethnic group could still be found in the far southern lands of Maztica (in my theory, the cross-breeding project took place during the time of the Creator Races, which would explain why they can be found on several continents now).

It would be kinda cool if there were weird, ANCIENT, Rakshasa ruins in the far south of Maztica (near the coast by Katshaka), where adventurers could discover the origin of the Tabaxi Catfolk. There was a 8000+ year old temple (canon) in north-western Kara-Tur that I was using for this, but several of these 'demon-labs' could exist all over.

Can't remember the name of that ancient temple* - its right in the beginning of the K-T material...

Anyhow, the Rakshasa-connection is non-canon, but the temple - with pictoglyphs of 'beastmen' - IS canon, which is how I came up with a lot of this. Locations like this would even predate the Ilythiir Drow ruins in the south (of Faerûn).

Wow there is a lot of potential in there! I think a temple like that would make a marvelous Maztican (or I guess a Lopangan/Katashakan) dungeon crawl. Do you have any more thoughts on it?

Markustay Posted - 18 Aug 2011 : 18:22:00
quote:

Back in 987 DR there was an incident called the Rockfire Disaster... snip
Which is probably where that info I stated above originally came from (I never read those novels, so the incident must have been referenced in other sources later-on).

Eberron Drow are definitely VERY interesting and worth stealing. Lots of aspects are; I can't understand why the campaign world in-general fell flat for me, when I love so many bits from it.

Probably the cartoonish-art, now that I think about it. Later art (in splats) did Eberron more justice.

Back to Maztica:
Because of the preponderance of human (sentient) sacrifice in that type of setting, perhaps some sort of magic based on 'soul energy' (Incarnum?) would work well.

The setting itself seams to be under some sort of 'ban', akin to how magic is nerfed in Ravenloft, and maybe the sacrifice-thing is a way of generating enough energy to power higher-level Spells.
Seethyr Posted - 18 Aug 2011 : 18:14:56
quote:
There WAS a Maztica thread, and someone contributed a couple of cool beasts, which I think were derived from RW Meso-American cryptids. Beyond that, it was just a page or three with some discussion, but no actual project.

As a side note, at least two separate groups of people were 'brought over' from Kara-Tur into Maztica; one group through the Underdark, the other through the "Realm of Death" (which in hind-sight was probably the Shadowfel). Gods were involved in at least one of those incidents (Monkey).

Please don't ask me for sources - I am relying completely on memory these days. I'm fairly certain that the Underdark and Monkey incident was in the novel Once Around the Realms, but I can't double-check that.

Whoah that is fantastic! I would love to find those creatures and looks like I'm headed to Ebay for Once Around the Realms.

Don't worry, I wont ask where those creatures are located.

In Monsters of the True World, there is a creature called the Tigremoth (yep, an obvious rip off the froghemoth) that has a little made up lore about a brief Kara-Tur/Maztica connection.

quote:

Dwarves and Drow also emigrated there from Faerûn, through the Underdark, during a war and after a main tunnel collapsed. I have theorized that it was that very tunnel the Tlincalis (Scorpionmen) discovered and managed to re-excavate when they migrated to Faerûn at the tail-end of 3e (thus explaining how they accomplished such an amazing feat; tGHotR later came up with another explanation for their miraculous speed-tunneling).

Yep, that's the Rockfire Disaster (I believe according to GhotR and other sources).

According to the 3.5 supplement Underdark on page 165, the tlincallis actually performed a 3-year ritual where they "successfully gated more than a thousand stingers into the tunnels and caves beneath Amn." They never really tunneled.

If you have that supplement, the entry under "Oaxaptupa, World Beneath the World" has some really really interesting lore on the tlincalli.

quote:
Originally posted by MarkustayGood Luck and looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thanks so much!
Seethyr Posted - 18 Aug 2011 : 17:57:36
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

That's the only interesting type of drow. Wonder how they would react to the Tlicallis. And the Aerenal style appears Mesoamerican. Bests part of Eberron to steal.

Tough I stick with ''mythological purity'' in my world, they wouldn't be called drow or elves (Ekchua or something).

Back in 987 DR there was an incident called the Rockfire Disaster where some drow and dwarves from greater Faerun caused the tunnels around them to collapse in the Underdark between Maztica and Faerun. Since then, the paths have been closed off. I don't want to spoil the Maztica novels if you haven't read them yet, so I'll just say this is a HUGE part of plot. There are definitely already drow in Maztica from these days, and the ones in Lopango I've tried to connect to this story.
Markustay Posted - 18 Aug 2011 : 17:09:40
I just remembered - we did connect the the Maztican pantheon to the Draconic one (they are a great fit!) - most of the gods translate well with little adjustment. It also allowed my own HB theory that Tiamet created the Tlincalis (from Dark Elves native to Maztica who did not worship Lolth), thus connecting the D&D Scorpionmen to their mythical roots.

quote:
Originally posted by Gouf

I'm curious, in the beastiary, you have creatures called Tabaxi, that are feline humanoids. Is there any connection to them and the Humans of Chult also called Tabaxi?
Another theory of mine (from the legendary Utter East project ) was that the cat-like Tabaxi were actually magically transformed Chultan Tabaxi; they remember very little of their origins, aside from the name (which they obviously kept).

Thats a fairly simple explanation for the confusion: BTW, I said it was the Rakshasa who inter-bred with human Tabaxi to create the cat-race (giving them similar origins as the Lizard-Kings and Tanarukks), but you can say whatever you want. The Tabaxi (people) originated in Katashaka, when it was still part of the single proto-continent, so that same ethnic group could still be found in the far southern lands of Maztica (in my theory, the cross-breeding project took place during the time of the Creator Races, which would explain why they can be found on several continents now).

It would be kinda cool if there were weird, ANCIENT, Rakshasa ruins in the far south of Maztica (near the coast by Katshaka), where adventurers could discover the origin of the Tabaxi Catfolk. There was a 8000+ year old temple (canon) in north-western Kara-Tur that I was using for this, but several of these 'demon-labs' could exist all over.

Can't remember the name of that ancient temple* - its right in the beginning of the K-T material...

Anyhow, the Rakshasa-connection is non-canon, but the temple - with pictoglyphs of 'beastmen' - IS canon, which is how I came up with a lot of this. Locations like this would even predate the Ilythiir Drow ruins in the south (of Faerûn).

*Temple of Saigai
Markustay Posted - 18 Aug 2011 : 16:45:59
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

LK, didn't you or MT have a Maztica Redux thread on the WizO boards back in the day? Would he be able to glean any relevant information from there?

-No, no one ever did Maztica. Personally, I never liked it too much, so I never had much interest. Musings were made about Pluma and Hishna magic, but other than that, nothing.

Maybe Hawkins is thinking of the Project Osse threads.

There WAS a Maztica thread, and someone contributed a couple of cool beasts, which I think were derived from RW Meso-American cryptids. Beyond that, it was just a page or three with some discussion, but no actual project.

As a side note, at least two separate groups of people were 'brought over' from Kara-Tur into Maztica; one group through the Underdark, the other through the "Realm of Death" (which in hind-sight was probably the Shadowfel). Gods were involved in at least one of those incidents (Monkey).

Please don't ask me for sources - I am relying completely on memory these days. I'm fairly certain that the Underdark and Monkey incident was in the novel Once Around the Realms, but I can't double-check that.

Dwarves and Drow also emigrated there from Faerûn, through the Underdark, during a war and after a main tunnel collapsed. I have theorized that it was that very tunnel the Tlincalis (Scorpionmen) discovered and managed to re-excavate when they migrated to Faerûn at the tail-end of 3e (thus explaining how they accomplished such an amazing feat; tGHotR later came up with another explanation for their miraculous speed-tunneling).

That's pretty much all I got, and my apologies if I am repeating info others have provided (I haven't had the time to read through all the threads these days).

quote:

Many many more are in the works and some have almost been finished as well. If anyone is interested in checking it out, helping, contributing, etc please just say so!

In the meantime hopefully you enjoy the Monsters of the True World!

Good Luck and looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Quale Posted - 18 Aug 2011 : 10:24:41
That's the only interesting type of drow. Wonder how they would react to the Tlicallis. And the Aerenal style appears Mesoamerican. Bests part of Eberron to steal.

Tough I stick with ''mythological purity'' in my world, they wouldn't be called drow or elves (Ekchua or something).
Seethyr Posted - 17 Aug 2011 : 22:51:10
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Looks great. They could pass for the giants of Xen'drik or even Golarion's rune giants.

Yes they do have that Xen'drik feel to them. Coincidentally, I realized I also have a tribe of jungle drow that worship a scorpion-god as well. I think I sub-consciously ripped that concept from Eberron too.
Quale Posted - 12 Aug 2011 : 19:50:44
Looks great. They could pass for the giants of Xen'drik or even Golarion's rune giants.
MalariaMoon Posted - 12 Aug 2011 : 10:37:44
That's absolutely awesome!
Seethyr Posted - 10 Aug 2011 : 00:57:04

Gold-Clad Giant Kings

http://fo3the13th.deviantart.com/#/d41ydeb

Basically, this is a subrace of stone giants (they're in the bestiary) that long ago fled from the dragon/giant wars of ancient times to Lopango. They have carried the shame of their cowardice for thousands of years and have become uncontrollably greedy and obsessed with gold. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :-)
Seethyr Posted - 27 Jul 2011 : 15:48:36
I've actually seen that question posed somewhere before, possibly even somewhere on candlekeep.

Im going from memory here so I may be very wrong but I believe the response read that the two peoples had been mistaken for each other and one was a misnomer though I can't remember which. Seems like a good explanation to me since they are both found in similar settings.

The tabaxi in the Bestiary are actually an update to a creature that has it's roots way back in 1e, and I think the Chultans only showed up in 2e.
Gouf Posted - 27 Jul 2011 : 15:39:44
I'm curious, in the beastiary, you have creatures called Tabaxi, that are feline humanoids. Is there any connection to them and the Humans of Chult also called Tabaxi?
Seethyr Posted - 27 Jul 2011 : 08:15:26
Looks like I'm going to be working on a few simultaneously, but I've finished a version of "Lopango - Land of the Sacred Sun" already and updating it has been going rather smoothly. I expect the new version, fully loaded with art, should be posted here anywhere from a month to 3 months.

When its done, I'll be sure to post the link. :-)
Kno Posted - 20 Jun 2011 : 10:52:27
Remnants of the Past: Ruin based Adventures in the True World - A collection of ruin based scenarios set in the True World including The Ruins and The Ruins of Esh Alakar
Seethyr Posted - 18 Jun 2011 : 16:02:04
I put up a poll asking what anyone might want to see next on the link below. Please stop by if you get a chance.

http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=6538

Seethyr Posted - 17 Jun 2011 : 20:36:31
Can't tell you how much these comments mean to me! Thank you so much.
Brian R. James Posted - 17 Jun 2011 : 17:56:29
Very well done. Quite impressive Seethyr.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000