Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Stupid question time...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 30 Apr 2010 : 00:28:25
This is a thread for "stupid questions about the Realms". I'm sure we've all had odd little questions in our minds of things we would like to know, that are not in any lore or canon. To start, I'd like to ask- Why do Elminster or the other Chosen of Mystra not have familiars? Most of them are wizards or sorcerers, and Dove is even a ranger. So why no animal companions of any kind?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ayrik Posted - 25 Sep 2012 : 18:44:37
quote:
Markustay

What year is the 2nd edition FR campaign box set in?

Read my reply in this scroll.
Markustay Posted - 22 Sep 2012 : 02:09:40
Thanks Sage.
The Sage Posted - 22 Sep 2012 : 01:52:32
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

As I recall, the 'Calendar of Harptos' section notes "1367 DR (the year just ending)." Or something to that effect.
Markustay Posted - 21 Sep 2012 : 20:48:45

Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 01 Sep 2012 : 08:36:17
quote:
Originally posted by Lily M Green

Now, where's that stupid question time thread...

Ah! Here it is! Right, don't laugh but I want to pick the brains of those experts in Realmsian fauna I know must be on here. It's possible I'm taking this entirely too seriously for what is essentially a throwaway line but, well, it piqued my interest so, is there a Realmsian i.e. non-humanoid creature that has a particularly long courtship, that's courtship not mating, ritual?

Ta all :)

Fey? Then again, maybe not , since they seem to live in the moment and are not too inclined to stick with one person for their entire lives (then again, some do stay with one person for their entire life, so who knows?).
Lily M Green Posted - 31 Aug 2012 : 10:07:53
Of course, dragons! Perfect! But you know what I'm going to ask Ed anyway because I agree the answer would certainly be interesting.

Cheers all :)
Dennis Posted - 31 Aug 2012 : 05:46:16

I guess, logically, it has to be one of the long-lived races. Most likely dragons; and the courting probably involves a lot dancing, singing, and clawing at each other. Oh, wait, scratch the last one.
The Sage Posted - 31 Aug 2012 : 01:34:16
quote:

Ah! Here it is! Right, don't laugh but I want to pick the brains of those experts in Realmsian fauna I know must be on here. It's possible I'm taking this entirely too seriously for what is essentially a throwaway line but, well, it piqued my interest so, is there a Realmsian i.e. non-humanoid creature that has a particularly long courtship, that's courtship not mating, ritual?

I'd say you'd probably have better luck asking Ed. I know he'd more than likely provide a very enriching answer.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Aug 2012 : 00:26:26
quote:

If you weren't looking for non-humanoids, I'd toss out Mystra's Chosen. Look how long it took Laeral and Khelben to hook up...
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 30 Aug 2012 : 22:44:32
Dragons? First one that comes to mind. But probably only applies to certain metallics, at a guess.
Lily M Green Posted - 30 Aug 2012 : 07:45:05

Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 22 Aug 2012 : 02:10:11
Hey Markustay, have you gotten the time zones super-imposed over the entire Realms yet? That would be a very neat map to have.
Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 10 Aug 2012 : 09:00:26
@Markustay: I think I remember hearing/reading somewhere that Myth Drannor was "Greenwich" when figuring out time zones, but maybe I've been charmed to remember things wrong...or it's my lack of reverie. Pick whichever sounds better.

Anyways, I do know for a fact that all of Faerun is in the Northern Hemisphere and that the equator is a ways below the map at the back of the FRCS 3.x book, I think somewhere below the Chultan peninsula. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Markustay Posted - 05 Aug 2012 : 06:17:29
Waterdeep would be Greenwich - at least thats what I did when I superimposed them. I tossed that out after I did it (something told me I shouldn't have). It was a fairly simple thing to do...

Within the next few days, expect a map from me with time zones, equator, and arctic/tropic circles clearly marked. I'm surprised there isn't one already.

@Fellfire - what you should have said was "Where in the Realms can you picture this guy performing?" That would make it more rules-compliant for Candlekeep (and also thread-compliant).

EDIT: And although I've seen that before (several times in several places, like Vegas and Renfaires), its still a pretty neat thing to watch.

Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 04 Aug 2012 : 23:18:45
Thanks Markustay. I was re-reading Silver Shadows and was wondering about the time difference between the Sword Coast and Evermeet. Both Laeral and Arilyn had traveled to the elven island and it seemed to be about the same time of day at both ends.

Now here's another stupid question Markustay, hopefully you'll have the answer to this too: How many time zones is there between Evermeet and the eastern edges of Faerun/western edges of Kara-Tur? And where would the major cities/realms (like Waterdeep, Cormyr, the Dales) lie if there was a standard time-zone map?
Fellfire Posted - 04 Aug 2012 : 19:14:58
I wasn't sure where to put this. Watch me A street performer with a glass orb. Really beautiful and amazing.
Markustay Posted - 27 Jul 2012 : 15:12:45
I superimposed a time zone world map over a map of Toril - looks like 2 hours.
Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 27 Jul 2012 : 05:06:08
I know this has probably been asked before on this thread, but I'm running like six different tabs on my internet explorer and not enough time to search at the moment, but here's a question: If a person was teleported from the Sword Coast (anywhere from Waterdeep to Tethyr) to Evermeet by means of a spell, portal or what-not, how many hours/time zones difference is there?
Fellfire Posted - 18 Jul 2012 : 23:55:09
Champions of Smarminess? I'd like to nominate myself. FTW.
Markustay Posted - 18 Jul 2012 : 16:43:42
LOL - that was it.

I kept thinking "Champions of... Stupidity? Silliness? Sacrilege? etc, etc..."

"City of..." just never dawned on me (until I realized who the line of questions I was following was being directed at, and what those questions were about). The funny thing is, the piece of lore I was trying to track down had nothing to do with that source after all.
Fellfire Posted - 18 Jul 2012 : 01:16:18
I do love stupid questions (ex. "Do these stairs go up?", which I was asked just the other day). I always get excited when I see this thread. I must be an even bigger idiot, 'cause I'm drawing a blank on CoS. I attribute it to not enough free-time, lack of companionship, and overall laziness (read; drunkeness) to look it up at the bottom of this page and I don't see it there, so I'm at a loss.

edit: City o' Splendors, maybe, but that's unofficial shorthand.
Markustay Posted - 27 May 2012 : 16:53:05
However, reptiles are notorious for their extremely slow digestive systems.

Casts "Raise Scroll"

What the hell D&D/FR book has the initials CoS? Its driving me nuts!

Nevermind... I'm such an idiot...
Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 27 May 2012 : 16:21:44
I was thinking about if the stomach acid would 'eat' him before he could escape. You'd think that a dragon, which is obviously larger than us, would have a proportionately larger stomach and along with their particular dietary habits would therefore have more stomach acid, or it would be stronger than a humans. How would that come into play?
Markustay Posted - 25 May 2012 : 14:16:31
He'd either have to cut his way out, or wait until the creature voided its bowels (which mammals do when they die - not sure about reptiles).
Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 25 May 2012 : 09:10:45
Here's a stupid question...

If a halfling (or gnome or other small race) crawled into a dragon's mouth and down to the stomach to kill the dragon, would he be able to get out if the esophagus (otherwise known as the tube food travels from the mouth to the stomach) is blocked?
Dennis Posted - 22 May 2012 : 04:04:05
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Talk about magic missiles reminds me of (Fairy Tail's) Sugar Boy's gooey dogs, which can shape-shift into live missiles, assuming the color of whatever element or magic it absorbs. Originally, it's color green.

Oh yeah that series is hilarious.

Indeed. Though many characters have truly interesting powers. I specially like Gildart's Crash (or disintegration) magic; Ultear's Time Arc; and Bluenote's Gravity Manipulation.
Thauranil Posted - 21 May 2012 : 12:33:58
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Talk about magic missiles reminds me of (Fairy Tail's) Sugar Boy's gooey dogs, which can shape-shift into live missiles, assuming the color of whatever element or magic it absorbs. Originally, it's color green.

Oh yeah that series is hilarious.
Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 20 May 2012 : 01:37:11
Hmmm...I've always thought that spells such as Magic Missle could be customized by color or minor details such as the shape it takes. But it's the arcane gestures and words that would be the same no matter what so that those who have studied magic can recongize the spell.
Dennis Posted - 20 May 2012 : 01:31:14

Markustay Posted - 19 May 2012 : 14:55:30
Magic Missile probably is colored by the power source it is drawn from, which in most cases is Arcane/Weave/Blue. Aren't the misslies Shades cast black?

When you start to see odd colors, it means the caster is either something special (drawing from an alternate source), or is using some sort of meta-magic to alter the spell, or its just a signature spell (which allows you to make your missiles appear any way you want - as snowballs, or gingerbread-men, etc)

I've always wanted to create a Harlequin character that cast smiley-faces as her magic missiles.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000