Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 What year do you play in?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Khelben
Acolyte

Denmark
25 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  09:47:52  Show Profile Send Khelben a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi there!

I was wondering what year you're playing in. With the release of 4th edition, the timeline has been moved forward many years and most fluff is up to the dm. I've been a fan of The Realms since the late 80s and enjoyed 1st edition with all it's special layout up through 2nd edition. I lost the trail for a handful of years during 3rd edition but really like the products detailing the roll of years. My favorite is during the Avatar Trilogi and allowing my players to meet the Gods. A true gift for a player. I've just bought the Neverwinter Campaign book and it looks awesome. I'm not fond of the current roll of years - probably having read too many novels from the previous years. But I intend to use it and maybe blaim the changes on the Wild Magic that was created around The Year of Shadows 1358. That is the year that I like to start out from. Zhents, Simbul, Fzoul, Elminster, Khelben, Cults etc.

What is your preferred year? And maybe a why..

-Khelben

Edited by - Khelben on 03 Sep 2011 09:48:41

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  10:22:48  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't use to play any concrete year tbh. I focus more on concrete events; Time of Troubles, Azoun's reign or situations and characters, Luskan, Noyvern, Vangerdahast, that years. As almost all of I play and write for thy games is original and widely based I don't use to think much of the years. The Time of Troubles for example is one of my most common timeline. Also Luskan and the Hosttower affairs.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 03 Sep 2011 10:23:18
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  12:39:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to be complete (for "early Realms" anyhow) -

The legendary old FR0 Grey Box officially introduced the Forgotten Realms setting and specified the calendar date was "Year of the Prince (1357DR - year just ending)", although it does have a chapter of "Recent News and Rumours in the Realms" dating as far back as the beginning of the Year of the Worm (1356DR). The Realms had been featured in many Dungeon and Dragon magazine articles - largely written by Ed Greenwood - long before TSR officially established the Realms setting by publishing FR0. H3: The Bloodstone Wars also predated FR0 yet firmly placed the H Series Bloodstone modules into the Realms. A number of modules subsequently appeared which described events taking place years or decades before 1357DR. FR1 through FR6 and REF5 supplemented various parts of the Realms in great detail.

1E Realms was short lived, FRA was the first 2E Realms product: it brought much new Realmslore, updated the setting to the new ruleset, and placed the Calendar in the Year of Shadows (1358DR) at some indefinite date immediately following the Time of Troubles [the Avatar Trilogy places the Time of Troubles between approximately Kythorn 1 and Marpenoth 15, 1358DR]. The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (2nd Edition) later appeared, although it presented little new lore. All supplementary products released from FR7 onwards were 2E. Dale Reckoning slowly advanced through numerous 2E Realms products. The Kara-Tur, Hordelands, Al-Qadim, and Maztica settings were located on Toril; Spelljammer (along with Dragonlance and Greyhawk), Planescape, and Ravenloft were also linked to the Realms; Arcane Ages supplements provided ancient civilizations of the Realms; any of these settings could be visited or used independently.

Much later, the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3rd Edition) brought the Realms up to the Year of Wild Magic (1372DR). Later 3.5E, and now 4E.

More details at Wikipedia: Forgotten Realms, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

You'll probably save these valuable links:
  • Calendars in the Realms

• Forgotten Realms Calendar Tool

• Roll of Years

• Forgotten Realms Chronology by George Krashos and others:
    Before -1000, -999 to -500, -499 to -400, -399 to -300, -299 to -200, -199 to -100, -99 to 0, 1 to 99, 100 to 199, 200 to 299, 300 to 399, 400 to 499, 500 to 599, 600 to 699, 700 to 799, 800 to 899, 900 to 999, 1000 to 1099, 1100 to 1199, 1200 to 1299, 1300 to 1349, 1350 to 1399, 1400 to 1499, 1500 to 1599, 1600+

• Known Chronological Listing of Forgotten Realms Fiction*

• Presenting . . . Seven Millennia of Realms Fiction*

• A Spelljammer Timeline (revised) by GMWestermeyer

• A Temporal Chronology of the Primes by Brian James*

• Edit:
    * Wizards has apparently taken these sites offline, but they are still archived in the Wayback Machine: you'll need to submit the links within the Wayback Machine query box. It's worth saving or printing copies of these pages for personal reference.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 03 Sep 2011 13:01:39
    Go to Top of Page

Marc
    Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  13:12:19  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Usually 1371 DR following the timeline in Cloak & Dagger. I feel the Realms were at the peak back then. Then I choose not to return Shade, or return it quietly and not to end the Retreat.

For the current campaign I decided for 1250 DR, during the great plague, after Westgate closed its council and the fall of Milvarn in Thesk. It's going to take over a century.

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
    Senior Scribe

Netherlands
    423 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  13:48:47  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I usually start my campaigns at the default starting year of the FR edition I'm running. Most of the big event happen in the background but if the opportunity presents itself I'll try to involve the PCs.
    Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
    Senior Scribe

USA
    495 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  02:43:32  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I am currently playing (gamemastering) in the post-Sellplague Sword Coast (Pathfinder system), with an eye to 'repairing the Realms' (as much as is possible, anyways). I have ideas to restoring other areas with other player characters (although many of the same players) should these ones, understandably, wish to remain in the Sword Coast - Dambrath, Lantan, and Hlondeth are all candidates in the future, as well as the drow city of Eryndlyn. These will all be part of a good first start in 'un-Shattering' the Realms.
    Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
    Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  09:58:28  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I've two campaigns running at the moment. One is set in Chessenta and Threskel - the year is 1352 dr (the Year of the Dragon), with a standard (albeit large) adventuring party. The other is a one-on-one campaign following a Harper agent, the year is 1367 dr (the Year of the Shield). Both use 3.5 rules.
    Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
    Learned Scribe

Germany
    148 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  12:05:37  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Currently my camapign is running through the year 1369DR. Started two decades ago in the year 1356DR and am playing through the timeline with different player groups and different locations. But basically I intend to continue to play each year without jumping around the timeline.

I have no prefered year to play in it, but my impression is that the years covered by the 2nd Edition are the most detailed ones, culminating in the years 1368 - 1372 described in various sources.

I stick mostly to canon lore and like to let the characters experience it first hand, be it as news, rumors or the PC group in the middle of it.
    This will definitively change with some RSEs covered in later editions and am honestly curious how I will handle the spellplague events in times to come...

Am using Pathfinder rules.

Edited by - Dewaint on 06 Sep 2011 12:14:25
    Go to Top of Page

Halidan
    Senior Scribe

USA
    470 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  18:31:08  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    My next campaign will be in the mid 1340's, as the humans of Harrowdale learn that their elven neighbors have suddenly disapeared. At least the early levels of the campaign will deal with Harrowdales attempts to contact the remaining elves, and create a new plan for a defence against the Moonsea powers and wandering monsters from Myth Drannor. Should be fun.

"Over the Mountains
    Of the Moon
    Down the Valley of the Shadow,
    Ride, boldly ride,"
    The shade replied,
    "If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
    Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
    Senior Scribe

USA
    508 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  00:28:26  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    1351, just after the Pools of Darkness novel. In Hulburg.
    Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
    Forgotten Realms Author

USA
    4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  01:53:19  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I am running two Realms campaigns at the moment and playing in one campaign that takes us often to the Realms (it's a planar game). They are:

Pirates of the Sea of Fallen Stars: 1382, Inner Sea (modified 3.5)

4e FR Game: 1479 start, 1480 current year

Planar Game: unclear on specific year but probably 1479 start, 1482 current (we recently skipped about 3 years in a separate dimension)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  04:09:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Like Erik, I'm presently running two Realms campaigns. One is set circa -30,500 DR in Mhairshaulk.

The other is set around 1357 DR and kind of plays a "What If?" scenario had the Time of Troubles played out somewhat differently. It's inspired, partly, by recent alternate reality comic book tales like Marvel's "Age of X" and DC's "Flashpoint."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
    http://www.candlekeep.com
    -- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
    Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
    Senior Scribe

USA
    495 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  06:36:06  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Sage

Like Erik, I'm presently running two Realms campaigns. One is set circa -30,500 DR in Mhairshaulk.

Okay...THIS sounds interesting. Mind if your brain gets picked for particulars? Is this a time/dimension-travel sort of thing, or is everyone playing some sort of serpent-person, or perhaps a 'primitive mammalian'?
    Go to Top of Page

TheHermit
    Seeker

USA
    60 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  07:44:17  Show Profile  Visit TheHermit's Homepage Send TheHermit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    My FR campaigns have generally begun circa 1357. Much easier to avoid RSEs along the path that way.

- "Glitz & Klax's Potions & Elixirs"/"The Sandmen", Inside Ravens Bluff, The Living City; 1990; TSR, Inc.
    - "The Far Guardians' Traveler's Mission", Port of Ravens Bluff; 1991, TSR, Inc.
    - "Signs Painted", Polyhedron #70; April, 1992; TSR, Inc.
    - Communications Director, Coliseum of Comics, Orlando, FL - http://coliseumofcomics.com/
    Go to Top of Page

Salacar
    Acolyte

Denmark
    33 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  23:14:17  Show Profile Send Salacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Late 1360's is my personal preference, it's far enough from the Troubles for them to have become stories, but also gives a span of several years before big stuff starts happening in the early 70's.

quote:
    Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

quote:

Okay...THIS sounds interesting. Mind if your brain gets picked for particulars? Is this a time/dimension-travel sort of thing, or is everyone playing some sort of serpent-person, or perhaps a 'primitive mammalian'?

I can imagine that the players are most likely some of the new species created by the Sarrukh during that time, nagas, yuan-tis, troglodytes, etc.
    Always wanted to play a campaign set in that time period =3
    Go to Top of Page

Lord Kesslar
    Acolyte

USA
    1 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  03:29:15  Show Profile Send Lord Kesslar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I'm wanting to start a new campaign focused around magic, and I'm looking to start it post 1385 DR. It it's my understanding that in -338 DR when Mystryl died during Karsus' Folly, Mystra became the new goddess of magic. She then placed limits on magic, limiting spells so that no spells over 10th level could be cast, as well as making it so that devices like the Mythallars could not be created. When she was killed in 1358 DR by Helm during the Time of Troubles, these limits died as well.

I'm wanting to include both of these in my campaign, so I'm looking at between 1358 - 1385 DR or post 1395 DR (avoiding the spellplague 1385-1395 DR).
    Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  04:16:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lord Kesslar

I'm wanting to start a new campaign focused around magic, and I'm looking to start it post 1385 DR. It it's my understanding that in -338 DR when Mystryl died during Karsus' Folly, Mystra became the new goddess of magic. She then placed limits on magic, limiting spells so that no spells over 10th level could be cast, as well as making it so that devices like the Mythallars could not be created. When she was killed in 1358 DR by Helm during the Time of Troubles, these limits died as well.

I'm wanting to include both of these in my campaign, so I'm looking at between 1358 - 1385 DR or post 1395 DR (avoiding the spellplague 1385-1395 DR).

Actually, there's nothing to indicate that Mystra's limits were removed by the death of Mystra 1.0. Even if they were, Mystra 2.0 could have easily reinstated them.

And it was -339 when Netheril fell, not -338.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
    Go to Top of Page

Daviot
    Senior Scribe

USA
    372 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  05:05:43  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

And since Wooly forgot, welcome to Candlekeep, Lord Kesslar . Take off your boots and have fun digging through the scrolls!

As for me, I too generally like playing post-Time of Troubles and pre-Horrendous Toril Kablooie, though like any lore-happy GM, I have my own spin on things. For instance, my last game took place in 1370, so no Shadovar silliness, and Xvim's around instead of Bane.

Edit: Senior Scribe status ahoy.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
    My Tabletop Writing CV.

Edited by - Daviot on 12 Sep 2011 05:06:23
    Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
    Great Reader

Canada
    7974 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  05:13:50  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I personally prefer to think that mythallars require 10th-level spells as part of their creation. This makes it theoretically possible (at least within 2E and some 3E rules) for Mystra to grant or deny permission on a case-by-case basis in the creation (or reactivation or repair) of mythallars as she chooses, while also more elegantly summarizing her new laws of magic in a uniform manner which doesn't require a checklist of special items (like mythallars) be appended for individual consideration. It doesn't seem incompatible with Netheril, since arcanists earned their arch-wizard titles by creating mythallars to power floating cities which already required the casting of other 10th level spells.

Midnight-Mystra imposed further limitations in 2E: not only were spells capped at 9th level (10th if you pleased her enough to gain her permission for each casting), but their maximum damage was also capped. No more launching 30 magic missiles or 30-dice fireballs with a single spell casting like you could in 1E, no matter how high your experience level.

[/Ayrik]
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  05:41:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Actually, there's nothing to indicate that Mystra's limits were removed by the death of Mystra 1.0. Even if they were, Mystra 2.0 could have easily reinstated them.
    Indeed.

The former mortal Midnight is a small part of Mystra's divine spiritual body, like the submerged pilot of a massively greater consciousness. We have a good picture of this in some of Ed Greenwood's fiction. Midnight did not replace Mystra -- a small mortal soul couldn't take the place of a vastly more-than-human greater god identical to the magical structure of the world -- but merged with her, replacing the part that died in the Godswar.

Thus, the limits were likely either immediately reinstated and/or reinforced with the rise of Mystra 2.0.

Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
    Learned Scribe

Germany
    148 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  11:08:11  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Regarding 10th level spells in post ToT there is a Chapter in "Secrets of The Magister" 2e supplement p91. With some optional guidelines.

So it looks to me tha basically Mystra 2.0 has limits defined to handle wizards looking for using 10th level spells.
    Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
    Senior Scribe

USA
    492 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  12:17:54  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    The last FR game I played in was a 3.5 Arcane Age game set in Netheril. At some point the DM is going to revisit that with a sequel.

One of my 3.x Planescape campaigns was set in roughly 1375DR for an FR plot arc in the Dire Wood near the corpse of Karsus, and the sequel campaign and its Great Barrow/Great Dale plot arc was set roughly fifty years later (though not using any of the 4e/Spellplague material).

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
    Go to Top of Page

Gouf
    Seeker

USA
    75 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  20:28:45  Show Profile  Visit Gouf's Homepage Send Gouf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    DR 1358~1360 at presant

"Why is the torch burning blue?"
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  00:56:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

quote:

Sorry Old Man, but I must've missed this earlier. Let me dig out my campaign notes for the answers to your query, as it has proven to be something of a highly convoluted tale with plenty of "timey-wimey stuff."

Go to Top of Page
      Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000